Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

BASIC QUESTION; WHY DO YOU LIKE OLD MOVIES/

88 posts in this topic

Well, it's pretty simple. When I started watching old movies, they weren't so old, and I just kept watching.

I have a lot of answers to this question. Like many have said, it is an escape to a different time. I do not like graphic violence, vomit, etc., and I know that these things will not be shown in classic films, but that is probably more an answer to "why I don't watch a lot of current cinema" instead of "why I watch classic films. There is something that just speaks to me in many of these films, a kind of magic that is only understood by other people who enjoy classic films. I'm a sucker for an old fashioned hollywood romance, since my "romances" have never been anything like that. I love to watch the classics and really consider what was going on in the world when the movie was being made, to get a better picture of why the public did(or didn't ) respond to the movie.

Tikisoo, I also remember the Saturday International Children's Festival, or whatever it was called. I think my favorite episode was "Clown," a short French film about a boy looking for his missing dog. The movie had no dialogue, but the theme music still rings in my ears some 40 years later! Anyway, this series was addressed on a different thread about a year ago, where "RayFaiola" revealed that he was a director of programming for the show.

The second half of your post reminds me of a running gag in *ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES,* in which a supporting character of Japanese descent always speaks loudly and out of synch whenever he opens his mouth.

Edited by: phroso on Jun 19, 2011 10:37 AM

Classic Films are like old friends. They enrich your life in ways a non-classic fan can't understand. As stated in a few previous posts they transport us back to a much more simpler time.

They allow us the privilage of sitting through a well written plot instead of today's blood, guts, blow it up, car chase, gratuitous sex, junior high school humor which, sadly, has become standard fare in most contemporary movies.

Thankfully we have Turner Classic Movies. It's an oasis in all of the chaos happening in the world today. And a reminder that quality stands the test of time.

the mystery of rain-soaked black and white streets

Last night I watched DECEPTION, with Bette, Paul and Claude. Thank God for the incessant rain. That's all this snoozer had going for it!

And don't worry. You're still unseemly to me!

Tikisoo said:

Speaking of TV movie shows of childhood...anyone remember the *Saturday Children's International Film Festival? *I think it was CBS in the late 60's early 70's. It has a snooty sounding title, but they played cool foreign feature cartoons like The Snow Queen and weird obscure European films geared towards children.

I remember that I think--did it feature Kookla, Fran and Ollie? (And BTW, what happened to the feature for quoting another's post? Did I miss something?)

Yes, tracey, it did feature Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, who acted as filler for films that ran under-time.

"Waiter! Another dead bird, please." Wave it around so we all get a good look. I'd never have dinner with anybody who's hair looked like that! He'd have to become invisible again. We'd see appetizers floating through the air.

What would we do without the witticisms of our fellow posters around here? :D

Moving right along... Thought I'd answer my own question. I talked about why I like movies in general, so this seems as good a time as any to tell why I like old movies. I suppose I'm being somewhat self-indulgent, but what the hell, I still think it's a relevent question for this website.

So, a lot of people said one of the main reasons they like "classic" films (and I use the term loosely, just to avoid repeating the word "old" too much) is because it gives them a window into other times, a way to see how people lived, how they dressed, how they talked, what cities looked like, what cars looked like, what society's values were back then, etc. Of course a film from the 20s, 30s, 40s, or 50s no more accurately reflects what real life was really like back then than a movie from 2011 reflects our lives today. Things are romanticized, glamourized, made more interesting than they really were; still, it's as close as it's going to get to how things were in older times. One thing I especially enjoy is the way people talked. That's one of my favourites.

"Say, sister, shut up and gimme a cigarette, will ya?" not a direct quote from any one movie, just an example.

Old movies are the next best thing to a time machine, one that only takes us to the past. I said in an earlier post here that one reason I love movies is that they take me to another world. Old movies do that, and also take me to another time.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 20, 2011 9:01 PM

I often think I was born too late. I would have fit in in the 1940's or 50's. I'd have WW2 to deal with. My friends who are not white men would face discrimination. Me? Bring on the zoot suit!

To this day, I don't own a computer. If I have to, I can get along without a car. I eat out all the time. Just like single men in movies. Who needs cooking, cleaning, shopping? No TV? My parents generation went to a lot of movies. I've slacked off on that lately. But it's a lifestyle that suits me.

Cholesterol? Who cares! Gimme a cheeseburger, Mac! And drop a nickel in the jukebox, will ya? Play that new Bing Crosby song.

Where's my time machine?

red, baby, your time machine is every old movie ever made - even the ones that supposedly take place in the future ! H. G, Wells ain't got nothin' on old movies.

I'm a throwback to the '40s and '50s too, with three major exceptions. I'm a physical fitness fanatic, I eat very carefully, and I hate smoking.

Edited by: finance on Jun 21, 2011 4:35 PM

Miss Wonderly, you mentioned something that always gets me too, which is the way people talked back then, in films at least, and I'm guessing all the time? I just dig it totally, especially the tough talking mugs and dames!

"Gee, that's swell!"

"He took a run out powder."

"Dame"

"Broad"

"Pansy" (pre-Codes only)

"For crying out loud!"

"For Pete's sake."

"Put out an extra!"

sending telegrams

operator-assisted local calls

elevator operators

switchboard operators

porters and bell boys

street car conductors

Irish cops

"Colored" maids

private ****

newspaper montages

chop suey joints

dance halls

speakeasys

brief opening/closing credits

Classic movies take me to a time when a man might hestitatingly approach a woman and have her coyly admit she is wearing stays as a precaution that he should not hug her too tightly.

Classic movies take me to a time when people always knew the right thing to say and it was safe to give your heart ot a stranger.

Classic movies take me to a time when people did not belch in public and a drunkard was almost always amusing.

It does not matter to me that such times never were because each time I watch a classic movie I am truly there.

SansFin wrote :

"...It does not matter to me that such times never were because each time I watch a classic movie I am truly there."

That's because, like I said, a classic movie is a time machine . :8}

porters and bell boys

Now they're Bell MEN! And a proud profession it is. The link between the guest and the rest of the world. Taxi, ma'am? May I make a recommendation, sir? I'll have the tickets waiting for you. There's customer service. And there's bellmen!

a man might hestitatingly approach a woman and have her coyly admit she is wearing stays

You've proven your point. What are stays?

I try not to look at things as old or new. Gone With The Wind, Wizard Of Oz, Citizen Kane were filmed a few decades ago but can they be remade better, no. ....I had a chance last week to see the new True Grit DVD on which I passed, telling the wife that I don't ever care to see it and I think the John Wayne movie with it's actors, scenery and music was perfect. Later she told me she didn't finish the new DVD either. .....Of course the new versions of The Pink Panther and such fall short of the originals. .....The old version of Of Mice and Men is far better than the new one thanks to Burgess Merideth and Lon Chaney Jr. ......

So they can come up with Blue Ray....3D.....so what ?...Is that it ?.....Then the BASIC question may be : Why watch the new movies ???

TCM does show these movies without commercials and has yet to get into the strange and stupid computer pop ups that walk through movies on other channels. It is strange to be watching Sound Of Music and see Shrek walk across the screen saying he is coming on next.

So in answer to why watch older movies....Why not ? ......also The Godfather is now 4 decades old so is it no longer a good movie ?......Saving Private Ryan is now a decade old, should we put it in mothballs ? ....are we to only watch the newest latest thing, good or bad, because it is now the rage and filmed in 3D, which I might add should have a warning label...3D video games can cause epileptic reactions and 3D movies probably can cause the same problem in some people.

WhyaDuck, First, thank you for posting a response on this thread.

Although it's hung on for a week now, it has not garnered the interest from people that I thought and hoped it would. I'm wondering now if that's because the posters here thought I was asking a slightly different question, which seems to be the way you have interpreted it: " why watch older movies?".

I definitely am not asking "Why do you like old movies" in the sense you seem to be taking it, ie, "Why would you watch old movies instead of new ones?"

I would never ask that, and I would not assume that the people who like Turner Classic Movies would want to or need to answer such a question.

Not at all...I'm just always interested in the reasons for things. It's a question I've thought about for myself, why do *I* love old movies, quite a lot. I just figured that everyone thinks about why they like things, and I was interested to hear what they have to say about why they care about classic film.

I pay a lot of attention to the nuances in language, and to me, "Why do you like old movies?" is quite a different question from "Why watch old movies?"

The first implies that everyone who participates on these boards likes old movies, and I wanted to hear the various reasons for that, different people's different stories and thoughts on just what it is about classic film that they like so much.

The second why of phrasing the question, which is what you seemed to think I was doing, suggests that people somehow have to justify why they watch old movies, putting them on the defensive somehow.

Sorry to go on so long about this, but to honest, I was surprised and disappointed that more people didn't respond to this. Yes, the thread is several pages long, but a lot of that is from I myself, the OP, bumping it up again, mainly because I couldn't believe that the thread topic wasn't attracting more posters to it. There are a lot of regulars here who still haven't commented on this thread, and while that's their prerogative, they can post or not post on any thread they like, I was hoping that most of them would.

It's such a universal topic, at least for TCM fans. The only reason I can think of for more people not posting on this thread is that they feel it's an unnecessary question, it's a given that everyone here likes old movies. Obviously - but why? I'm really interested in that.

Is that it, folks? The question's too ordinary, too unsophisticated, especially in comparison to all the esoteric subjects discussed here, maybe it's a bit too "Classic Film 101" for people, especially those who have been participating here for years.

Anyway, I'm still hoping to hear from some of the regulars who haven't responded yet. I'm genuinely interested in hearing what they have to say about why they care about old movies, what is it about "classic" films that engages them. Maybe it's too boring to discuss such an obvious thing, but I've been posting here a year now and I've never actually seen a thread about this specific topic ( Maybe when the website was first set up, years ago.)

Well now that I've blathered on and on and thoroughly embarrassed myself, I'll end this seemingly endless post. I really would love to hear from more tcm fans about this , if possible.

(After all that, I feel I should sign my name and enter my social insurance card number. Or something. )

"

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 22, 2011 8:37 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 22, 2011 8:38 PM

> a man might hestitatingly approach a woman and have her coyly admit she is wearing stays

> You've proven your point. What are stays?

A stay is a strip of whalebone or ivory. They were put vertically around the waist of corsets to define the shape and provide rigid support. In *Journey to the Center of the Earth* (1959) James Mason/Prof. Lindenbrook informs Arlene Dahl/Frau Goteborg he has heard her stays creaking and she must remove them because they impede breathing. She is aghast at him mentioning her unmentionables. Later she lures him in by mention of her stays as very risque sex-talk.

I do have to tell the old joke I heard on TV, I think Danny Thomas told it. Young patient asks why such old magazines in waiting room. " Because I'm an old doctor ".

I don't like all old movies, but I do like GOOD movies new and old.