Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

Yellow Sky

6 posts in this topic

Do a youtube search --- Y S The Waterhole --- for a neat insight into the film. Check out other videos from Overwhelming Silence

On 9/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Can't you just tell us, here?

LOL. Not bloody likely from a post made 7 years ago by a poster who was last active two years ago.

Oh well. Like I say, I don't pay attention to dates on posts. Anyway its still an excuse to discuss a fine western, "Yellow Sky".

What I like about it is Peck playing a bad guy who turns good; even if it means facing down his whole gang of bad'uns. There's also a starkness in the desert setting; the dark figures against the white landscape. I used to keep an eye out for this flick whenever it came around.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 1:15 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Oh well. Like I say, I don't pay attention to dates on posts. Anyway its still an excuse to discuss a fine western, "Yellow Sky".

What I like about it is Peck playing a bad guy who turns good; even if it means facing down his whole gang of bad'uns. There's also a starkness in the desert setting; the dark figures against the white landscape. I used to keep an eye out for this flick whenever it came around.

YELLOW SKY is one of the great westerns from the 1940s, for the reasons you've mentioned in your post. 

Fox produced an interesting remake in 1967 called THE JACKALS. The setting was switched to South Africa where on-location filming occurred. Vincent Price starred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jackals

I can't even think of another western (I mean, a western I've viewed) which has as stark a desert setting. Especially shot in b&w. There's spaghetti westerns, but even they aren't as Biblical-looking as YS.

By the way there used to be a bar in Manhattan called 'Spaghetti Western' and it served Italian dishes. Around the walls were gorgeous, full-size, full-color, framed Italian movie prints from that genre. A real treat. Not just E-size sheets but even larger.

• Like 1