Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Singing in the Rain"

25 posts in this topic

A lot of it is the cast, don't you think? I'm not denigrating Gene Kelly, who was the seasoned pro, but the spark in this movie is really provided by the up-and-comers, Donald O'Connor, though not exactly new to films, and Debbie Reynolds, who basically emerged full-blown into stardom with this movie. You're right. Sheer joy to watch, all of it.

I've always preferred THE BANDWAGON, from MGM a year later. Maybe it's Minnelli's experienced hand at work.........and nothing tops "That's Entertainment".

I first saw it when I was a really young child and I think I became life long fan of movies because of its potent magic- the perfect balance between the really funny screenplay and the musical numbers and yeah the way all the cast not just Gene Kelly who at that time was obviously a superstar gets a chance to shine. " The Band Wagon" is very good too.

While I think it is the most over rated film ever made, that doesn't negate the fact that it's an extremely entertaining movie. My favorite musical from MGM, is THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN,

Well I'm a big fan of "musicales" but most people don't like them, they think they're silly.

*Singin' In The Rain* is one of those films that appeals to almost everyone. The cast is great, the production is great, the writing (story) is great and don't discount how catchy the tunes are.

The only other film that rivals SITR in these respects is *The Wizard Of Oz.*

Heck, even my hunched over the iPod jaded teen loved it. After seeing it she looked up the lyrics to "Moses Supposes" and proudly recites it all the time (be careful what you wish for)

I, too, thoroughly enjoy "Singing in the Rain". Debbie Reynolds proved herself beyond a doubt by staying right with Kelly and O'Connor. Anyone who didn't know any better could easily assume she was as experienced as they. But my favorite character is Jean Hagen's Lena. I find myself remembering her lines at odd times - "I cain't stanim" and "I can seuww". And of course the funniest scenes of all - "Yes, Yes, Yes; No, No, No" and the dubbed song/raised curtain at the end. The only thing I think doesn't work too well is the romantic pairing of Kelly and Reynolds; there's no chemistry there. But all in all, it's definitely high up on my list of favorite musicals of the 1950s.

There no chemistry between them, because Kelly's ego didn't leave any room. Probably his most ego-filled performance, ever.

I never really notice an age difference between them- it works within the movie. Kelly had that high energy youthful glow about him.

> {quote:title=finance you wrote:

> }{quote}I know he (Gene) was very rough on her (Debbie) during shooting . . .

This indifference on Gene's part did occur, because Gene had other choices on who to cast in the role of "Kathy Selden." He wanted a polished, season dancer or someone with a good amount of experience. There was also the issue that Gene felt Debbie was a bit too young, having been up to that time identified with younger (especially teenage) audiences. The role was loosely based on how Joan Crawford was discovered. Therefore, Gene felt that Debbie lacked a bit of the tough, hard knocks image of a typical chours girl. As filming commenced, it was obvious to everyone involved that the imagery of the role had to be changed and moved into a different direction. Since this was a major musical production, guided by the mighty Arthur Freed, Debbie realized this could be the big breakthrough role she would need towards achieving major stardom at MGM. Throughout the filiming, Debbie became determinded to prove herself worthy. The results were on all counts better than expected. Nobody at the time of filming ever came to realize what was in store for "Singin' in the Rain" or how the film would be so revered with the passing of time. Years later, Donald O'Connor remarked: "I knew I was working on a good movie - Never did I once envisioned, it would become the greatest movie musical of all time." B-)

He did have that "high-energy youthful glow", and a lot of that came from Debbie's presence. Whatever his initial doubts, the irony is that she helped make him look good.

I agree with joefilmone and DougieB. Under the unpleasant pressure from Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds determined to do it right, and it shows. I wonder if he hadn't been so hard on her whether she would have worked as hard as she did. Hard taskmasters tend to bring out either the best or the worst in a person; Kelly brought out the best in Reynolds. And the end result was that he made her look good and she made both Kelly and O'Conner look good.

I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but I really do believe that O'Connor was the better dancer. If you watch Moses Supposes in slow-mo you'll see O'Connor's lines are much straighter, his steps are cleaner, and his balance remains practically perfect. Granted it might have just been him trying to show off more, but Kelly at one point is almost bent over sideways while O'Connor's straight up and down. From a dancer's POV it I don't think it's so shocking for O'Connor to be able to 'keep up' with Kelly. If you compare the two, it appears as if Gene's trying to make it look hard and flashy, whereas Donald looks like he's just having fun! LOL

I have always especially loved the Kelly-Charisse dance where she is wearing a short white costume with a l--o--n--g white scarf/cape, and it billows up behind her through the whole dance. Is there a description anywhere about how that whole effect was achieved? Thanks, Sunny

I remember hearing about this in a documentary about how the MGM technicians had a fun time with enormous fans that got the effect of her dress/scarf blowing all around.

Best Musical ever. A piece of trivia--the car used when Debbie is driving and Gene jumps into it from the trolley was the same car used in the Andy Hardy films.

I love this movie Singing in the Rain it's on of my favorites films that Debbie Reynolds made Tammy and the Bachelor was my second favorite film that she made. I would love it if they play this movie again during the Summer months.

I love this movie Singing in the Rain it's on of my favorites films that Debbie Reynolds made Tammy and the Bachelor was my second favorite film that she made. I would love it if they play this movie again during the Summer months.

TAMMY is a Universal picture, and I only remember ever seeing it once on TCM, a few years ago. I'd like to see it again.

By the way, welcome to the message board community!

This film is definitely on my top 15 list. I just recently re-watched it, and I LOVE Debbie, Gene, and Donald. I also think that Jean Hagen's Lina Lamont was pretty well-acted, and despite being supposed to dislike her character, I sort of enjoyed it. I was babysitting these kids, and I showed them "Make Em Laugh" and they absolutely loved it. The one thing I had an issue with the first time I watched it, was the whole "Gotta Dance" sequence that seemed to last for 20 minutes... I guess it irked me a little when I first watched it because it seemed sort of random in a way, (don't get me wrong it's very well-danced) now it doesn't bother me. Also, fun fact, I had no idea that Rita Moreno played Zelda in this film until recently...