Sign in to follow this  
kingrat

The Voting Thread: 19th TCM Programming Challenge

52 posts in this topic

So many great ideas in everyone's schedules...very difficult to select just one to vote for. I admire all the thought and effort that went into creating these schedules. Great work everyone!

But here's my vote:

Scott MacGillivray's schedule.

One of the main reasons is his obvious fondness for many of the stars and types of films that are also my favorites, for example, Gloria Jean, Donald O'Connor, and Hal Roach and Vitaphone shorts.

Gloria Jean is one of my very favorite stars who definitely needs more exposure. Her movies are wonderful perfect family entertainment (especially THE UNDER-PUP, one that Scott has scheduled) and would be right at home on TCM. And Scott's schedule even includes Gloria Jean screen-test footage! How cool, and what a great programming "extra". I'd love to see that footage!

The selection of Donald O'Connor as Star of the Month is also inspired. What a great entertainer he was, and such a tribute would be long-overdue. And anything that may get Donald's 1940's Universal features out of the vaults and on TCM is okay by me!

There are many other favorite titles and stars on Scott's schedule, incuding Jessie Matthews and Lupino Lane. And I agree it would be great to see the Edward Everett Horton movie HER MASTER'S VOICE on TCM! Perhaps one day...

So, Scott's getting my vote!

I wrote up my comments last night and will post them and my vote a bit later.

Thanks to Sansfin and Capuchin for their votes. I'm sorry that they weren't able to submit schedules this time. Hopefully they'll be able to do so in the next Challenge.

I'm also hoping that SansFin and Capuchin will be back in the running next time. Musicalnovelty, thanks for voting. We need lots more votes, and the contest ends tomorrow night at midnight Pacific time.

All schedules are posted below in this thread.

Because of the excellent schedules, voting has been very divided. We currently have a four-way tie for first between filmlover, Fedya, countessdelave, and Lonesome Polecat. Because each has two votes, that means that everyone is still very much in the running. In case of a tie, the moderator has to cast the deciding vote. Believe me, your moderator would prefer not to have to make that difficult decision.

I'm so glad that this Challenge convinced some newcomers to join the fun.

Ten schedules-that's great. Kudos to Kingrat!

I had such a difficult time choosing a favorite amongst all of these wonderful schedules.

Here are some highlights from each schedule:

*Kyle (hlywdkjk):* Turner and Hooch. Love the play on this with the bootlegging and moonshine theme. Albert Finney as SOTM: wouldn't he be a great TCM film fest guest?

OMFUJ: yes, Bette surely did call him "Uncle Jack", didn't she? LOL.

I loved your Olympic spotlight-you really explored many nuances of this subject and TCM should be thrilled that you've helped them program next July.

Bravo, Kyle!

*LZCutter:* I, too, am rooting for Joel McCrea as SOTM someday. These films are some great choices. I love Glenda Farrell as your SOTM (and two times a week). She is on my list of stars I'd like to see get more recognition. She and Blondell were such workhorses of WB. Great choice! Millard Mitchell and Lennox Pawle. I don't know them by name but I'm sure I'd know their faces. Thanks for introducing their names to me. I like your amnesia theme. They say that amnesia is rare. How come it happens so often in film? I happen to really like Two in the Dark and your programming for this theme is really good.

*JamesinArlington:* I really like your Sunday night opera theme. Excellent. Also enjoyed your car and explorer themes and your New York programming. Love Tales of Manhattan. I'm a huge fan of William Powell and he's a wonderful choice for another SOTM go-round.

*ScottMacGillvray:* Wow-I loved the Gloria Jean spotlight! My mom loved her and I grew up knowing her films. Yes, yes, yes to Lupino Lane in The Lambeth Walk (isn't he Ida Lupino's uncle?) and Jessie Matthews in It's Love Again. I like your Paris theme. I only wish that Paris with Jack Buchanan and Irene Bordoni existed in its entirety. You have a very nice selection of films and shorts. I'm a big fan of Private Detective 62, Meet Nero Wolfe and almost anything with Eddie Lowe. You programmed some wonderful shorts throughout your week. I love the Double or Nothing short. Your trio of character actors was terrific.

*Skimpole:* SOTM Marcello Mastroianni is a wonderful choice. I'd love to be able to see a good, clean copy of Hellzapoppin'. The big swing dance number in that film is amazing. It's great that it's in your schedule. I was intrigued that you really focused on foreign films, which was possible because the permitted studios requirement was relaxed. Congrats for taking the ball and going with it. Antonioni, Magnani, Moravia, and Abel Gance. What a lot of extraordinary talent!

*Lonesome Polecat:* I loved your Titanic theme and I especially liked that your Sunday musicals and Titanic theme were both set in the 1910s. Danny Kaye is a great SOTM. I got a huge kick out of seeing you program A New Leaf and What's So Bad About Feeling Good? into your schedule again, under new themes. Surely the Programmers must have these on their radar by now. I love Thelma Ritter. She was my SOTM a while back and I'm happy to see her on any schedule. Your QE2 theme is fun but I'm not sure that I'd want some of those royals at my birthday party.

*Fedya:* I'm not sure which programming was funnier: the idiot Congressman or Harold Camping's miscalculations about the Rapture date. I'm sorry to say that I'm from Camping's neck of the woods and I was incredulous at his billboards around town.

I thought that you had some great selections for the Mickey Rooney elder abuse portion of your schedule. Kiss of Death - I hope that it was never that bad for Mickey. I like Anne Francis as your SOTM. I always remember her as Honey West but she did so much more. Very funny, Fedya.

*Traceyk65:* My favorite part of your schedule was National Wear a Gorilla Suit Day. How hilarious. Your TCM import intrigues me. I don't know of it but Dietrich and Gabin sure make a great cast. Anything touched by Lubitsch is fun. I'd love to see Desire again. I smiled at the Joyce Compton birthday tribute. She'd make for a great day during SUTS in August. Your Legend in His/Her Time was fun. Love Durbin and you had a really good segue into your All About Eve theme. You mentioned popular but forgotten stars. That perception does depend upon the person you are speaking to. Recently, the subject of famous stars came up in conversation with a young woman.

I referred to Clark Gable. Her reply: "Clark who?"

Go figure.

*Filmlover:* I liked your tribute to Lucien Ballard and the private eye genre. Lloyd Nolan is a fave as Michael Shayne. I think that it's great that you spelled out what you want to see at the next film fest. There were some wonderful ideas. Ultimately, the two favorite elements of your schedule (for me) were British Essential Cinema A-Z and Tough Guy Tag Teams. I especially liked how your tough guy films went full circle: starting and ending with Burt. Another fantastic schedule, Filmlover.

Ultimately, I cast my vote for ScottMacgillvray. It was a combo of the great film selections and the extensive use of shorts that won me over.

*Thank you, Countess and Musicalnovelty,* for the vote of confidence. I'm sure Gloria Jean thanks you both for remembering her.

Countess, I do hope you'll be able to see GIRL IN THE CASE someday, if only to see Eddie Lowe in the zoot suit! You are correct, Lupino Lane is related to Ida Lupino; his cousin was her father. (Is this a hip crowd or what?)

Musicalnovelty, I can see that you like Vitaphone shorts! So do I, and I'm glad you approve of the selection. I share your enthusiasm for getting those '40s Universals out of the vault!

Of course, *I must thank Kingrat* for being so diligent and helpful as our host, and *I thank the programmers at TCM* for reviewing everyone's schedules. We made these up because we love your stuff!

Best wishes -- Scott

I just realized today's the last day for voting!

After some consideration, I think I'll vote for *traceyk*, in part because I think Charles Boyer has never been Star of the Month before, and I'd think is more than well-known enough to deserve the honor. (And nowhere near as irritating as Maurice Chevalier, who comes across as a dirty old man in *Gigi*.)

Today is indeed the last day to vote. Polls close at midnight Pacific time. The winner will be announced sometime tomorrow. The balloting is extremely close, as it should be, given the quality of these schedules, and the last few votes will probably be decisive.

Kingrat, you have got a fantastic challenge going on here! Thank you for all the time, patience, and diligence for making it so successful!

*JamesinArlington:* SOTM William Powell will always be a crowd-pleaser!

*ScottMacGillvray:* Loved your How to Be a Detective picks...

*Skimpole:* Veddy international and happy you acknowledge Deborah Kerr's birthday!

*Kyle (hlywdkjk):* Entertaining schedule. And a fair and honest gentleman, as always...

*Lonesome Polecat* :Yes, Danny Kaye as SOTM! The Henry Mancini tribute is lovely

*Fedya:* Very funny, Fedya. your current, headline-grabbing topics are ever clever and amusing!

*Traceyk65:* TCM import--veddy interesting..I enjoyed the "I Know Where the Bodies

are Buried!" collection...

*Filmlover*: Enjoyed your British Imports and the Hidden Sesame Street Theme

*Countess De Lave*: I'm screamin' over the WHOLE LOTTA HUTTONS!I

*Izcutter*:* Ha! Charles Coburn--THE MONOPOLY MAN...LUVLY! Joel should be SOTM AT LEAST ONCE!

I am so impressed and so greatful that there have been so many entries in this challenge. Thank you all for caring about classic film and the TCM Challenge.

As usual, I am getting a headache from trying to decide....but I just gotta go with LONESOME because of the Mancini tribute and the DANNY KAYE Star of the Month or FILMLOVER for his British Imports...or .....Izcutter's Monopoly Man and JOEL SOTM....or....Countess'' WHOLE LOTTA HUTTONS"

O.K., I took two aspirins and ...It's LONESOME

It's the Day Of Reckoning. And little did I reckon that it would be so difficult to choose a favorite schedule.

First, thanks for the positive responses to my "out-of-competition" week of TCM Programming. I am always pleased when my ideas connect with the membership here.

Second, Congrats to 'kingrat' on moderating a wonderful Challenge. Ya done good, sir.

Now to the Challengers...

Everyone did exceptionally well this time out - especially all of you that programmed short subjects. That's always a bridge too far for me.

JamesInArlington - selecting William Powell as "SOTM" (Has anyone ever seen William Powell without a mustache?) and spotlighting malevolent computers are wonderful choices. Also liked the inclusion of *Anna And The King Of Siam*.

ScottMacGillvray - using Character Actors for the "1-2-3" segment was the best of all the submissions. Well done.

skimpole - Saturday Morning Animation and *Hellzapoppin'* are highlights for me.

Fedya - You out did yourself with the current events themes during the week but NEVER mention The Green Bay Packers around 'tcmprogrammr'. The Steeler fan is still feeling wounded.

traceyk65 - You're the "Gorilla My Dreams". It was great to have you back in the game.

countessdelave - I love a little wicked humor (Eggs = Rocky) and silly puns too. Next time, go for *Fatal Attraction*.

'filmlover' and 'lzcutter' - my long-time challenge pals. Once again, you both kept up your reputations of being among the best at this intact.

But my favorite week of programming for the 19th Programming Challenge came from *LonesomePolecat*.

"LP", your themes were great fun and the film selections equally so. Special kudos to remembering the Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, saluting the staff writers of the Sid Caesar Show and the musically capable actors. Great great job.

Whoever has the honor of moderating the next Challenge, with the work that was submitted this time out, they will have earned that distinction, Congratulations to everyone.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle:

I have. You can find Powell without his moustache in "Love Crazy" where he tries to pass himself off as his sister.

Edited by: movieman1957 on Jul 7, 2011 10:40 PM

King,

Well, I guess the time has come to make the tough decision.

But, before I do that, I want to congratulate all the participants on an amazing set of schedules. You guys make me proud that we were able to successfully pass the torch and keep the Challenge alive.

Making a decision was very difficult because each schedule was terrific and each schedule had films and themes that I would love to see on TCM.

I would also like to thank everyone for the kind words for my out-of-competition schedule. It was fun to be in such great company!

To Kingrat, thanks for handling the moderating chores so well! It's not easy being a moderator but you did so with panache and style.

So, now the time has come to choose. I wish I could choose all of you but the rules don't call for that.

I cast my vote for Lonesome_Polecat.

But congratulations to all of you!

I wish very much to thank kingrat for running an excellent Challenge!

I was sorry it became impossible for Capuchin and/or I to enter a schedule because of real world issues but I do not believe it would have mattered in the end because we would not have been serious competition to these great entry schedules.

*"...I do not believe it would have mattered in the end because we would not have been serious competition to these great entry schedules."* - SansFin

Phooey! I've seen the work of both of you and know that would not be the case.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Jul 8, 2011 10:10 AM

to add a missing verb! Oops!

Congratulations to Lonesome Polecat! It was a wonderful schedule and you deserve to win.

I was blown away by the sheer number of entries and the quality and knowledge and creativity behind them. Kudos to all participants. The programmers at TCM have a lot of great material to mine in these schedules and we hope that they will borrow quite liberally from them. We are all winners when we see some of the film titles and themes pop up in the TCM viewing schedule.

Thank you, Kingrat, for moderating such a marvelous Challenge. You did a fantastic job.

*"You can find Powell without his moustache in "Love Crazy" where he tries to pass himself off as his sister."* - movieman1957

Thanks!

Just curious. Does the moustache "miraculously" reappear the next time he is seen in male attire in the movie? While seeing Powell moustache-free when in drag would be necessary for the illusion, it would be jarring to see him without it when he's wearing a suit.

Kyle In Hollywood

> Does the moustache "miraculously" reappear the next time he is seen in male attire in the movie?

I believe it does. And I believe that is as close as we ever get. (I'll double check on my copy.)

Congratulations LP on winning the Challenge.

Congratulations LonesomePolecat! You were against wonderful competitors and it was a fair win!

All who entered did fantastic work.

Many deep thanks go to kingrat for running a great challenge.

> Does the moustache "miraculously" reappear the next time he is seen in male attire in the movie?

All that is seen of him after he was dressed as a woman is his hand and a pajamaed arm as he hangs up a telephone.

:0

I am flabbergasted. I never actually expect to win these things. In fact I hoped I wouldn't so I could keep writing schedules. How on earth did I win with THAT schedule (I prefered my last one, with the Carol Burnett goodness in it), over everyone else's schedules?! Everyone else did such cracking great schedules that I can't imagine why you guys voted for mine.

*But thank you so much to those five wonderful people who voted for me! "You like me! You really like me!"*

Well moderating sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to think of something good for the challenge, tee hee. You guys will have to help me figure out when to do the next one. (After labor day perhaps?) I only hope I can do it as well as KINGRAT, who deserves applause from all of us.

(Just so you know, I already have all these ideas for my next schedule, so I may have to write a schedule anyway and not enter it.) :D

Congratulations LP!

We look forward to you moderating the next Challenge.

In the meantime, enjoy your moment in the sun!