Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Ephemera Drawer

169 posts in this topic

What are the marks on Lloyd's face. I figured they were light bulbs, but after looking at the largest image, I don't think so. A Lloyd-hater taking shots at him like a Texan at a "No Trespassing" sign? :-)

*"What are the marks on Lloyd's face? I figured they were light bulbs, but after looking at the largest image, I don't think so."* - smileys

I think the sign is meant to be lit with neon and the holes are where the various neon tubing would emerge on the image. But even I can't "see" any neon tubes on Lloyd's face in the photo. I would think that the neon would have been included before lifting it up on to the marquee and not added later. I don't know for sure but I think that was the intent.

Kyle In Hollywood

_Theater Marquee and Lobby Displays of the 1930s_

Copy of Display_TroubleParadiseNY_Boston

Metropolitan Theater, Boston

Copy of Display_TroubleParadiseNY

Rivoli Theater, New York City

--------------------------------------

Circus Poster Featuring Tonight's "SInging Cowboy" Ken Maynard

Copy of KenMaynardCircusLRG

The "Lubitsch touch" and Mickey Mouse? You can't go wrong with that combo.

> I think the sign is meant to be lit with neon and the holes are where the various neon tubing would emerge on the image. But even I can't "see" any neon tubes on Lloyd's face in the photo. I would think that the neon would have been included before lifting it up on to the marquee and not added later. I don't know for sure but I think that was the intent.

Rather than neon, it looks like the facade was done so that white bulbs could be attached to it. At night, with the bulbs on, Lloyd's face would have been outlined.

_Theater Marquee and Lobby Displays of the 1930s_

Copy of Display_DawnPatrol1930TheaterDisplay_WinterGarden

Copy of Display_DawnPatrol1930TheaterDisplay02_WinterGarden

The Winter Garden Theater, New York City 1930

(Yes. Those are real planes perched on top of the marquee.)

*"Fairchild 21's! And no, I couldn't identify them, had to look it up. The one on the left is still flying."* - smileys

I had a hunch you would take a fancy to this particular display.

*"That has to be the largest billboard I've ever seen. Incredible."*

It really is incredible. For all that digital wizardry one can see in Times Square today, it doesn't come close to the awe and amazement that a display like this can (still) inspire.

Kyle In Hollywood

That short THE SONG PLUGGER advertised with THE DAWN PATROL is among the recently restored Vitaphone shorts available on the DVD set "Vitaphone Varieties, 1926-1930".

Sunday Comic Strip for a Sunday Morning

Copy of WinnieWinkle1937Nov

Click Through on Above Image to Access Larger, Readable Versions

Sunday Comic Strip for a Sunday Morning

Copy of LilAbner1956

(1956)

Click Through on Above Image to Access Larger, Readable Versions

*"That's half the fun! You have to turn your head, to see what is going on around you, as if you were there."* - VX

That's true. And I think it probably worked well with travelogues or other documentary-style subjects where the intent is to immerse you in the view.

But in a dramatic film like *How The West Was Won*, which has conversations occuring between actors in the panels on the left and the right, I'd get pretty tired of playing "bobblehead" for two or more hours.

I also dislike certain "stadium seating" theaters that have one sitting so close to the large screen that your field of vision can not take in the whole picture without a constant shifting of focus to the left or right.

Maybe I've just become accostomed to watching my television from across the room...

Kyle In Hollywood

Having seen *2001* from the front rows of both the Detroit, and Hollywood Cineramas, I like feeling immersed in all films. I do have good peripheral vision, and that helps.

Materials For *The Clock* (1945)

Handbill/Herald Announcement Designed by Jacques Kapralik

ClockThe1945Herald01

ClockThe1945Herald02

----------------------

Promotional Magazine Spread

src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/6134825847_778f640c27.jpg" width="500" height="313" alt="Copy of ClockThe_Press01">

src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6134829915_a9f46fb251.jpg" width="500" height="311" alt="Copy of ClockThe_Press02">

(Click Through on Above Images to Access Larger Versions)

*"More Clock stuff! I can't believe MGM gave away the plot like that without a Spoiler Alert."* - smileys

Well, the articles were published in an industry-only magazine so the movie-going public were unlikely to read it. I hope my posting it didn't spoil the movie for anyone.

*"Thanks."*

You're welcome. And I am glad you chimed in. With the inforeno known as Texas still blazing, I worry if you don't pop up every few days. (I am also concerned for 'ButterscotchGreer' who lives in the Austin area.)

Kyle In Hollywood

*With the inferno known as Texas still blazing...* - hlywdkjk

Except for the last couple of days, it's cooled off, with very little wind. I have family in Austin and East Texas, and they're getting the brunt of it now. Not good days to be asthmatic. Cough...cough... :-)

11 months, 3 inches of rain...chief worry now is 150 water lines bursting every day. Or week, can't remember.

Edited by: smileys on Sep 13, 2011 11:17 AM

I spoke too soon, the highway's closed forty miles from here. Last time I drove around there two months ago, most everything had already burned. Unbelievable.

Edited by: smileys on Sep 13, 2011 5:47 PM

*"...it's cooled off, with very little wind. I have family in Austin and East Texas, and they're getting the brunt of it now."* - smileys

Glad to hear things have improved a bit for you but sad that others are still suffering.

Kyle In Hollywood

Four Italian promotional posters ca. 1950 for female stars at 20th Century Fox.

(Apologies for the small size. These are the largest versions I have found.)

AnneBaxter1950_ITAL

BettyGrable_ITAL

LindaDarnell_ITAL

MaureenOHara1950_ITAL

A Collection of Warner Bros. "Title Lobby Cards" with Unique and/or Exceptional Artwork

Warner Bros. in the mid-1930s created some phenomenal original artwork for use on non-poster materials. Featuring stylish layouts, interesting treatments of text and wonderful star portraits or caricatures, these special pieces are often more interesting than the more popular one-sheet posters. These creations are also a window into the how valuable the studio considered some of these stars and how popular they were with the public in the 1930s.

src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6174/6197285844_8ecddfef32.jpg" width="500" height="395" alt="Copy of LadyKiller1933LRGbb">

src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6197303216_c14e566ea8.jpg" width="500" height="392" alt="Copy of

SonOfASailor1933LRG">

(Click Through on Above Images to Access Larger Versions)