Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Ephemera Drawer

167 posts in this topic

A Collection of Warner Bros. "Title Lobby Cards" with Unique and/or Exceptional Artwork

Warner Bros. in the mid-1930s created some phenomenal original artwork for use on non-poster materials. Featuring stylish layouts, interesting treatments of text and wonderful star portraits or caricatures, these special pieces are often more interesting than the more popular one-sheet posters. These creations are also a window into the how valuable the studio considered some of these stars and how popular they were with the public in the 1930s.

Copy of FriscoJenny1932LRG

Copy of HouseOn56thStreet1933LRG

(Click Through on Above Images to Access Larger Versions)

*"Wow, those last three feature some really serious faces."* - smileys

Yep.

But isn't it nice that Lyle Talbot gets some of that "face time" on two of the cards? He seldom appears in artwork.

Kyle In Hollywood

A Collection of Warner Bros. "Title Lobby Cards" with Unique and/or Exceptional Artwork

Warner Bros. in the mid-1930s created some phenomenal original artwork for use on non-poster materials. Featuring stylish layouts, interesting treatments of text and wonderful star portraits or caricatures, these special pieces are often more interesting than the more popular one-sheet posters. These creations are also a window into the how valuable the studio considered some of these stars and how popular they were with the public in the 1930s.

Copy of Colleen1936LRG

Copy of GirlMissing1933LRG

More Lyle Talbot! Love that crazy *Colleen* card. Hugh Herbert's expression is priceless. But *Frisco Jenny* and *House on 56th Street* are my favorites so far. Thanks.

Lyle Talbot twice in two days!

Can Nat Pendleton be far behind?

Hoping, hoping, hoping........

Copy of BrightLights1935LRG

6DayBikeRider1934

*"Can Nat Pendleton be far behind? Hoping, hoping, hoping..."* - lzcutter

Sorry to disappoint ya but all your hoping for Nat will be for naught. The few remaining cards to be posted only feature the leads - if even them.

*"But Frisco Jenny and House on 56th Street are my favorites so far."* - smileys

I like *Frisco Jenny* too. Has TCM done a "Ruth Chatterton" event lately, if ever?

Kyle In Hollywood

Copy of MindReader1933LRG

Copy of BlondeCrazy1931LRG

> Sorry to disappoint ya but all your hoping for Nat will be for naught. The few remaining cards to be posted only feature the leads - if even them

:_|

Personality_GarsonGreer

1940s French "Personality Poster" for TCM's "Star Of The Month" Greer Garson by renowned poster artist Roger Soubie.

Tuesday Evening Guest Programmer Joel Grey introduces three of his favorite films including *Yankee Doodle Dandy*.

Yankee-Doodle-DandyHirschfeld

Grey has his own personal connection to the character of George M. Cohan as he portrayed the man on Broadway himself in 1968.

GreyHirschfeld

Apologies for the Watermark

You can watch Joel Grey perform selections from the show during the 1974 Tony Awards here -

Copy of YankeeDoodleDandy1942LRG_40x60

Italian Artist Anselmo Ballester's Original Poster Artwork for *The Eddy Duchin Story* starring Kim Novak and Tyrone Power.

EddyDuchinStoryThe1956A_ITAL

EddieDuchinStoryThe1956B_ITAL

The film screens Wednesday on TCM

It's interesting that this foreign release of a biographical film makes no mention of the subject, maybe because Eddie Duchin wasn't a film star and therefore not as well-known abroad? Anyway, the art is ultra-romantic. Moreso on the poster itself than in the original art, but it looks like they're having an actual "roll in the hay".

*"It's interesting that this foreign release of a biographical film makes no mention of the subject, maybe because Eddie Duchin wasn't a film star and therefore not as well-known abroad?"* - DougieB

I don't know.

It is not that rare to emphisize a romance over the historical/biographical aspects of a film. But promoting *Going My Way* in this way goes a bit too far.

GoingMyWay1944_ITAL

How right you are. It looks like they recycled a picture of Bing and Marjorie Reynolds at the piano from "Holiday Inn". That's not even close to a clerical collar.

*"That's not even close to a clerical collar."*

Ain't it the truth. And it is ITALIAN! It's not as if the country would have an aversion to stories about priests.

The best is the re-naming of *Big Jim McLain* for the Italian audience.

McLain

BigJimMcLain1952b_ITAL

From what I can tell, the story had nothing at all to do with the subject matter of its Italian title. (The US movie was big on being "anti-communist" which probably didn't go over well in Italy. The Communists were pretty active and accepted in post-war Italy.)

This is really making me giggle. Every time I use the data base here I see alternate titles listed for movies and I always wonder: Who would call it THAT? Now I know.

Studio Artwork for *Edison, The Man*

Copy of PosterArt_EdisonTheMan

*Young Tom Edison* amd *Edison, The Man* screen Sunday Evening on TCM.