Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

The day's top posters & overall top posters

50 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed the feature at the bottom of the Message Boards' home page that looks like this:

screen-shot-2015-02-05-at-7-51-41-am.png

I recently discovered it. It lists each days' top posters as well as the overall top posters. I don't know what the purpose of collecting such data means, but it is included in the web design.

For instance, if you click on Today's Top Posters, you will be led to this screen:

screen-shot-2015-02-05-at-7-51-16-am.pngI've never been the number one poster (to my knowledge) but I am usually in the Top 20. I make about ten to fifteen posts per day on average, maybe down around five on a very 'slow' day.

Here's the link:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats

A general note though-- it does not always update right away. So if you check the top posters early in the morning, it may still include the count from the day before. I think that may have something to do with what time zone you may be posting in, if it takes a little longer to update.

That should be "most prolific posters"

Yes, some posters should know this about themselves.

That should be "most prolific posters"

Right. And a lot of the people who have 20 posts (or more) per day are just generating one or two-word posts. Like 'yes' or 'LOL'...that kind of stuff. So the number of posts is not at all going to be related to how substantial or informatively the posts may be written.

We should be clear that a prolific poster can still be a top poster, generating substantial content.

I think people who post often on the games & trivia board tend to have much shorter posts over there.

Now, on the IMDb, when you submit a review, the website rejects it if it is not a certain length (though someone can copy and paste a bunch of gobbledygook to reach the required word count). Don't you just love the word gobbledygook...!

Yes, some posters should know this about themselves.

WHO CARES??????

• Like 2

Right. And a lot of the people who have 20 posts (or more) per day are just generating one or two-word posts. Like 'yes' or 'LOL'...that kind of stuff. So the number of posts is not at all going to be related to how substantial or informatively the posts may be written.

We should be clear that a prolific poster can still be a top poster, generating substantial content.

I think people who post often on the games & trivia board tend to have much shorter posts over there.

Now, on the IMDb, when you submit a review, the website rejects it if it is not a certain length (though someone can copy and paste a bunch of gobbledygook to reach the required word count). Don't you just love the word gobbledygook...!

There are those posters to whom I would like to use a line that Mae West says to Harold Huber in Klondike Annie:  "Can't you ever say anything the short way?"

• Like 1

Shouldn't this be moved to Film Noir, lol.

Should be moved to the trash bin!

• Like 1

There are those posters to whom I would like to use a line that Mae West says to Harold Huber in Klondike Annie:  "Can't you ever say anything the short way?"

Imagine if someone had said that to Margaret Mitchell or David Selznick re: Gone with the Wind. :)

HAH!  One of the things(among many) that drove me away from FAKEBOOK was the complaint from someone I've known for years that my posts were "long and rambling", and they found them offensive.  NOT the SUBJECT matter, mind you, but---simply the LENGTH of them!

Reminded me of the part in the movie AMADEUS, where Emporor Franz Joseph lodges only ONE small complaint about an opera that MOZART just presented....his complaint?-----"Too many NOTES!" :lol:

I replied that I was apologetic for "overtaxing" her seemingly limited mental abilities and haven't been back!

Sepiatone

Should be moved to the trash bin!

I disagree with you in this specific case because it was the web designers that added this features.  So the folks who designed the site felt this was important.   

Note I say 'in this specific case' because I feel it is silly to have,  what looks like a contest,  as it relates to how many post someone makes, how many likes they have received on post,  etc....      Yea, we have enough threads about those silly things already.

But the comment in the OP I find interesting:  I don't know what the purpose of collecting such data means, but it is included in the web design.

Of course I designed software for a living and I'm still involved in this.   So maybe that is why this type of nerdy stuff is interesting to me.

• Like 1

I disagree with you in this specific case because it was the web designers that added this features.  So the folks who designed the site felt this was important.   

Note I say 'in this specific case' because I feel it is silly to have,  what looks like a contest,  as it relates to how many post someone makes, how many likes they have received on post,  etc....      Yea, we have enough threads about those silly things already.

But the comment in the OP I find interesting:  I don't know what the purpose of collecting such data means, but it is included in the web design.

Of course I designed software for a living and I'm still involved in this.   So maybe that is why this type of nerdy stuff is interesting to me.

Some people find it important, apparently.......or one does.

Imagine if someone had said that to Margaret Mitchell or David Selznick re: Gone with the Wind. :)

Someone SHOULD have said that to David Selznick. The second half of GWTW is a drag. The business of Bonnie's death goes on forever ( in sheer melodramatic fashion)and is only one example of unnecessarily extended running time. If the movie were about 30 or 40 minutes shorter, I might be more tolerant of silly Scarlett and all her issues.

Someone SHOULD have said that to David Selznick. The second half of GWTW is a drag. The business of Bonnie's death goes on forever ( in sheer melodramatic fashion)and is only one example of unnecessarily extended running time. If the movie were about 30 or 40 minutes shorter, I might be more tolerant of silly Scarlett and all her issues.

I agree with you about GWTW.    What you mention is why I rate the movie as only good instead of great.

I agree with you about GWTW.    What you mention is why I rate the movie as only good instead of great.

Me too. I think the problem has to do with the proliferation of directors that worked on the movie.

Darn it. Now that I know this exists, I will probably check it at least nce a week or so! Argh.

You are correct. The reason I have so many posts is that I am one of the few who participates regularly on "games and trivia" AND the other forums.

If I were a filmmaker, my films would be about 5 minutes long.

If I were a filmmaker, my films would be about 5 minutes long.

I believe you. You are the pithy one around here. Just curious, have you ever elaborated on anything at all? Most of us gab too much, so you are the anomaly. Well, at least you are easy to read. (One of these days you will have the urge to actually explain something and I'll probably go into shock).

;)