Sign in to follow this  
Mountbatten

1942 Film Classic: "Yankee Doodle Dandy", with James Cagney

13 posts in this topic

This classic film as an autobiograpy of George M. Cohen, acclaimed Broadway author, play right, song writer and even dancer, in the early decades of the 20th century, is and will always be, my absolute favorite of favorites in the lytanny of Hollywood's motion picture classics. As it historically plays on TCM every 4th of July, one can watch it and by the close of the movie, one finds themselves with a true feeling of patriotism, with the very songs in the picture, all written by George M. Cohen, reigniting that ever so patriotic feeling and flag waving idealism that is in each American, reignited every 4th of July. when we once again celebrate our nation's birthday. More so, in watching this great American classic, with Jimmy Cagney in the lead role as George M. Cohen, the viewer is left with a renewed sense of patriotism and love for this great nation, more than ever. The film captures so much of that great American spirit and a celebration of those great words as inscribed within the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights and that ever so sacred, Constitution of this United States, the world's greatest democracy and Republic, as enscribed by those founding fathers 235 years ago, when they authored those very documents. More than ever, this film celebrates this nation and it's 300 million citizens, which are blessed with the graces and benefits of freedoms and liberties those Founding Fathers wrote in parchment, 235 years ago, giving birth to this the greatest experiment in democracy and a Republic. Yes, Jimmy Cagney does an incredible performance, that won him an Oscar, as George M. Cohen, in this film portrayal of flag waving patriotism and song, sewn into the very fabric of America and its citizens.

If anyone wants to really enjoy one of the greatest films of all time, that celebrates all that is great about America, stirring up every possible emotion of the intrinsic pride and patriotism within each of us, as citizens of this great nation and Republic, then watch this film. It is the perfect movie to celebrate America and all that is American, no matter where or when, as this motion picture is timeless and will be enjoyed by many generations yet to to come, as they too will celebrate every 4th of July, our Nation's birthday, and they too will discover that patriotism and love of God and country, is a gift and blessing, as so portrayed in this American film classic. You'll find yourself immersed into this motion picture, toe tapping to the incredible lytanny of the great American songs and the genius of George M. Cohen. It is expecially perfect for younger generations that are not as profuse in knowledge of our American history, as this film is centered around one of America's greatest; George M. Cohen. It is a lesson in American history, that so many need to have, to truly uderstand and appreciate all that is America. So, go be a flag waving patriot and watch this incredible and moving motion picture, as it is the best of the best in portraying what is greatest about America and our people.

God bless each and every one of us and our great nation, with its liberties and freedoms, as the greatest nation on the earth, with the greatest citizens, in this home we call America. Yes, it stirs those patriotic feelings and makes one realize that we live in this eternal bastion of all that is free and right in the world, both now and forever. It is a lesson in American history, as the greatest nation ever known to mankind, now and forever more. A nation of the people, for the people and by the people, which shall not perish from the earth. It is a lesson in our America, where anyone, anywhere, in this great nation, can do or become whatever they want, which is also captured in this film and work of art, empowering all Americans with the opportunities and freedoms to dream the imposssible, making it possible, as that is what Americans do best. Watch this movie and see America with from a different view point, through the eyes of George M. Cohen, whose very statue adorns the center of Times Square in New York City, as his legacy to Amerca is to believe in the magic of your dreams and accomplish what others say cannot be accomplshed, as our nation of free people and it's sacred rights as in the Constitution itself, empowers all Americans of all ages and generations, to be the best and the brightest, the greatest of the greats, and torch bearer of our great nation and freedoms, to bring light to the world and its 6.5 billion inhabitants, by being a citizen of these United States of America. . . .

Edited by: Mountbatten on Jul 5, 2011 11:00 AM

Edited by: Mountbatten on Jul 5, 2011 11:17 AM

I'd like also to say Welcome to the boards.

And although I don't want to appear critical, since it's misspelled seven times it can't be a random typo, so I wanted to say that the name of the man the movie is about is George M. Cohan, not Cohen.

The confusion between Cohan and Cohen brings to mind a story: Cohan wired a hotel for a reservation, and was refused. When he tried to find out why, they told him, "It was our mistake. We thought you were Jewish." Cohan said, "The mistake was mine. I thought you were gentlemen."

To happier matters: the scene in YANKEE DOODLE DANDY I always remember is during the Little Johnny Jones number, when Cagney takes long strides across the stage and walks up the wall! -- at least, that's the way it looks.

Almost as funny as a Groucho Marx story about the same subject. "I took my son to a swimming club. They told me that they were sorry, but that Jews weren't allowed to swim there. I said that my son is only half-Jewish, so "may he go in the water up to his waist?""

Edited by: finance on Jul 17, 2011 3:22 PM

Wasn't it Groucho that once admitted to a country club { Bel-Air}? responded that he couldn't join any country club that had someone like him as a member?...

In one of his films, I don't recall which, Groucho jokes that he wouldn't join a club that would have him as a member. Whether that is based on some real incident, I don't know.

Fred, I think the line was " I won't belong to any club that would have me as a member." I also like Groucho's line about going to a restaurant where you had to wear a tie. So he went in , wearing just a tie.

On "What's My Line", they engaged Groucho as a guest panelist, despite fearing that he would disrupt the show. He did exactly that.

There's an episode of CHEERS where Cliff invites Norm to join his lodge. Norm says, "I'm reminded of the Groucho Marx line. I would never belong to a club that would have you as a member."

With respect to YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, I'll just mention one name:

RAY HEINDORF

nuff said!