Sign in to follow this  
LuckyDan

Clips of your favorite scenes

287 posts in this topic

Nice selection, CL. Lots of subtle touches in that scene.

It also illustrates the importance of a good score.

Very moving.

The scenes I like are not divided here in the way I would have chosen, so I'm having to post two extended excerpts from Giant.

There are many I could post from this one, but the sequence involving Bick and his boys trying to buy off Jett, and Jett's surprising choice to "gamble along with ol' Madama," followed by his measuring of his new land, has always been a favorite.

It begins at just past the 5:00 mark here

"I'm sentimental, too, Bick."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3pVMRVRLn0

(For some reason, I always hear Jett's key line as saying he wishes to "gambol along" not "gamble." I don't know what word Ferber used, but I like the double entendre of "gambol."

And the finish . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfaNMstuh98&NR=1

"See ya." (And the low wave...classic touch.)

Great thread idea! Here are a couple of my favorites. I may post more later.

From The Devil and Daniel Webster (The ending scene, where the devil is trying to figure out who his next victim will be.) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7mfrWCYFxU

From Rebecca (When the 2nd Mrs. de Winter sneaks into Rebecca's bedroom.) :

Edited by: amr001 on Jul 11, 2011 3:31 AM

Gotta love it! "Shall we just have a cigarette on it?" We have the stars!

(Now Voyager)

One of my favorite segments of any film. Thank you for the opportunity to post.

• Like 1

Here's one that always crosses my mind when I pick up the phone to make an awkward call.

Peter Sellers as POTUS, phoning his Russian counterpart in Dr. Strangelove.

"Nooow then, Dmitri. You know ... how we've always talked about ... the possibility of something going wrong with ... the bomb."

Henry's been up the Amazon for a year. Now he's faced with Barbara's footwear . . .and perfume.

From The Lady Eve

Barbara again (god how I wish I could have known that woman!) convincing James Gleason she packs everything including a gun, in Meet John Doe

And of course Mr.Cooper.

Dani burning up in the estate in Rebecca.

Any scene from a Pink Panther movie when Cato is attacking Peter Sellers.

Ida Lupino losing it on the stand in They Drive By Night.

Some good choices, everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Here's one from The Odd Couple, the first look at Oscar's apartment and the card game establishing the characters. Very jokey but it always works for me. Notice Mathau's use of the sibilant S. He kind of turns it on and off. He liked to do stuff like that, it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaa9h4Xly_0

Murray: A suicide telegram? Who sends a suicide telegram?

Oscar: Felix the Nut, that's who.Can you imagine getting a thing a think like that, she even has to tip the kid a quarter?

Perfection! Ewell playing that piano makes me laugh every time! I get goose-pimply all over too! LOL

Another love scene I really adore. Watch Joel McCrea's hands..

You beat me to the hands scene in The More The Merrier. I first saw that scene I think in the documentary on Mr. Stevens. Couldn't wait to see the movie after that. Excellent. Joel McCrea is a big favorite of mine. And isn't Jean dressed fetchingly in this one?

Here's a fun one from Voulez-vous danser avec moi? (or Come Dance with Me) a little comedic-crime movie featuring Brigitte Bardot applying for a job as dance instructor.

No subtitles, and I haven't clue what they're saying, but it's still a fun, colorful scene. And Bebe. Was it possible I wonder to be in the same room with her and not fall in love?

Edited by: LuckyDan on Jul 26, 2011 11:09 PM

Would you like to dance?

BB is so lovely, I agree. Her first partner looked like Jon Lovitz! What a delightful mis-match.

It looked like a light mystery. I have just started French, so they will need to speak slower for me, lol.

Keep them coming..

Great idea for a thread, LuckyDan. You know, Jimmy Stewart said movies were made of moments, moments in time. And this moment, "where I turn & look at the girl", as Jimmy says, is one of my all time favorites. I also think it's apropo since someone earlier posted a scene from Obsession--Brian DePalma's homage to Hitchock in general & this film in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN6xyG82c90

>BB is so lovely, I agree. Her first partner looked like Jon Lovitz! What a delightful mis-match.

Lovitz! Love it. God wouldn' that be hilarious. You're right.

>Great idea for a thread, LuckyDan. You know, Jimmy Stewart said movies were made of moments, moments in time. And this moment, "where I turn & look at the girl", as Jimmy says, is one of my all time favorites

Thank you for joining in, PT. Great Jimmy quote. I hadn't heard that one

I'm not a fan of Vertigo but I watched your clip, since you enjoy it so much. Were Jimmy's eyes blue and I never noticed? or was it just Hitchcock's "ghost" lighting that made them seem that way? Very eery.

I hope you'll post more.