Sign in to follow this  
LuckyDan

Clips of your favorite scenes

285 posts in this topic

From The Godfather. Michael Corleone renounces Satan.

(It seemed so real at the time. Now, I notice how Alex Rocco takes one in the eye and sort of just lays his head down to sleep. How movies have changed. And changed. And changed.)

Oh. Yeah. Spolier.

Edited by: LuckyDan on Jul 31, 2011 1:53 AM

Today, I heard a story about some new road projects in our state, and the first thing I thought, when I heard the details of what was being arranged, was "Willet Creek".

Jeff is deserted by he thinks is everyone in DC. But Saunders hasn't deserted him. She is back with encouragement.

The best part, for me, of this longer clip is what Saunders says to the discouraged Jeff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YTW1ytx3D0&feature=related

Edited by: casablancalover on Aug 6, 2011 8:48 PM

Oh, that Willet Creek. I didn't make the connection to *Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.* Good scene. (To skip right to it, it starts at 9:50 or so.) Everyone needs a Capra heroine in their life, in one form or another.

Here is Montgomery Clift on the stand in *Judgement in Nuremberg,* with Max Schell. This can be a tough one to watch sometimes but Clift is very compelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PAyXh3U7Ak

Yeah, LuckyDan, very powerful scene from a very powerful actor in a very powerful movie. Clift was always my favorite film actor. In Judgement at Nuremberg, he doesn't play a mentally challenged person the way every other actor did or does--as a stereotype. Same in From Here to Eternity: Compare Burt Lancaster's stereotypical drunk with Clifts' in the scene where they sit in the road. Clift plays it the way most drunks truly behave: they try to act like they're not drunk.

And now (drum roll please) . . . THE BEST CHILD STAR EVER!!!!!!!

That was a pretty good performance for a child. I hope they didn't tell her that her puppy died or something. For juvenile performances, I remember being very impressed with Bobs Watson in "On Borrowed Time."

And I hadn't seen the "Much Ado" scene since it opened. Good one.

Here's one I'd like very much to see on a big screen. And I mean a BIG screen. It was shot in 70 mm.

Kenneth Branagh again, this time in "Hamlet," advising Kate Winslet as Ophelia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJBOAkMsSc

Excellent!! You've got'em coming & going, Fred! (ha ha). Now you need to find an ending with somebody exiting stage left followed by somebody exiting stage right!

Okay, I'm posting a scene from "The Awful Truth." In this scene, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant's soon-to-be ex-wife, wants to win Carry back. Only problem is Cary has a well-to-do girlfriend that Irene wants to get rid of. Solution? Irene crashes a party of rich girlfriend's family. Irene pretends to be Carry's hick, dimwitted sister--all for the purpose of embarassing Carry so that rich girlfriend & family won't want to have anything more to do with him. This is one of those underrated masterpieces, folks. Right up there with "Bringing Up Baby."

Edited by: pturman on Aug 20, 2011 8:48 AM

Excellent selections, Fred. Thank you, sir. I always enjoy and learn from anything you have to say.

PT, I swear I thought about posting Irene's pic from TAT in the "favorite dresses" thread. Her character in that scene is beautifully played. And she appeals to the male Chauvinist Pygmalion within me. How I'd like to have met her.

I'll have to remember that line, LuckyDan--"male chauvinist pygmalion"--good one! Speaking of male chauvinist pygmalion scenes, I forgot to tell you--I really, really, really loved your choice of the "Get Thee to a Nunnery" scene from Branagh's version of Hamlet. Yeah, I'd LOVE to see that on a big screen too. It's my favorite movie version of Hamlet. Why? Because it's a MOVIE instead of a filmed play. The colors, the visuals, the music, the silent moments. OH, man! And the scene you posted is one of, if not the most, powerful scenes in the movie. The look of sadness on Hamlet's face when he realizes he's being spied on. If words were notes, we're all listening to Justin Bieber & Shakespeare's over there being effing Charlie Parker.

Edited by: pturman on Aug 20, 2011 8:47 AM

"What was I supposed to do?! Call him for cheating better than me in front of the others?!"

That one is near and dear to me, PT. Thanks.

Not just clips, but whole cartoons tonight. Something for children who maybe frightened of Thunderstorms. A way to cope, through the charm of Walt Disney.

The Pastoral Symphony:

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BzfBwyjkYM

&

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh8vuxyL6X8&feature=related

&

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrl737x_B2c&feature=related

Featuring in mythology-

Iris: goddess of the rainbow

Apollo: god of the sun

Nyx: goddess of night

Luna: Moon goddess or

Asteria: goddess of the stars and dreaming.

The Old Mill:

Edited by: casablancalover on Aug 23, 2011 8:19 PM

Well CL, that was . . . enchanting.

I hadn't heard The Pastoral since probably college and I'd forgotten how good it really is. I've never seen Fantasia all the way through. And those centaurinas! Oh my.

I wish my granddaughter were here to sit in my lap and enjoy The Old Mill with me. Maybe at Christmas.

I was thinking of putting up a war scene but suddenly I don't think so.

Thank you.

From "Paths of Glory"

The whistle.

How many times have you been in a tough spot and asked, "Where is B Company?" I mean, really. Where the HELL is B COMPANY?

Cinema Paradiso is one of my favorites.

Salvatore falls in love with the lovely Elena, but her beauty renders him too shy to speak. It is funny, sweet, sad, triumphant.

One of the sweetest moments in the film starts at the 9:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYVz3AAl4k&feature=related

Another favorite scene a few minutes later from Cinema Paradiso. This time, Salvatore discovers the art of manifesting his dream.. Elena. starts at the 5:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymmLr3AQEog&feature=related

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}This is why I learned to laugh.. Teach children to laugh when they fall, and not when others do, and you teach them to have a light spirit and compassion.

>

> I am fine, but I do have a toe that took the brunt of it. And I was properly shod in sturdy blue suede loafers!

>

> post.gif

>

> It's not broken, though. I just won't look cute in sandals for a while.

Definitely coulda been worse! Nice feet, btw.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}This is why I learned to laugh.. Teach children to laugh when they fall, and not when others do, and you teach them to have a light spirit and compassion.

>

> I am fine, but I do have a toe that took the brunt of it. And I was properly shod in sturdy blue suede loafers!

>

> post.gif

>

> It's not broken, though. I just won't look cute in sandals for a while.

How's that toe comin along, Casa?

Jake raged inside the ring & out of it. Inside the ring he was a champion. Outside he destroyed himself & the people around him. You pay a heavy price when you don't know the boundaries in life.