41 posts in this topic

A few of my favorite wonderful/awful horror films:

*The Monster of Piedras Blancas* (1959)

*Curucu, Beast of the Amazon* (1956)

*Zombies of Mora Tau* (1957)

*The Deadly Mantis* (1957)

*Trog* (1970)

The list could go on and on.

For many years I had memories of "The Day The World Ended", which gave me nightmares as a kid because of the radiation burns on the humans who had ventured out of the protected valley where the last survivors of a nuclear holocaust were living. Finally got to see it again about ten years ago and it's just the usual glopped-on oatmeal the movies always used. Lousy movie (an early Roger Corman, it turned out), lousy acting, lousy makeup and effects. What's not to love? Now I look forward to it when it rolls around.

I would agree Bride of the Monster is the "best" off teh worst horror films. It's production values rank with the Monogram Lugosi films and are actually better than some of the PRCs. The script ain't all that bad. I've always thought this was Ed Wood's best film.

*The best worst movies I've seen were around Halloween called "The Brain Eaters" and "The Collosal Beast." Oh...my...goodness...my boyfriend and I were laughing ourselves sick over these awful movies. The movies are from the late 50s early 60s and they had the worst FX I've ever seen. I do not know where to begin. The movies had no stars and no stars. Literally. *

I love the Nancy Reagan spectacular " Donovan's Brain"! For the matter I also love the sleezy "Brain That Would Not Die" for A sure slice of government cheese!

Modern (post 80 for me) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II. Dennis Hopper way over the top, the overall craziness of the movie. The whole film is banana's. Which makes it so cool IMO.

Pre '80 I'll go with Blacula.

:)

Is Bride of the Monster the one that ends with the girl in the nightie throwing over the handsome lead and choosing to be carried off by a big ape?  I must have seen this 40 or so years ago and couldn't believe it.  Now that I know it's an Ed Wood film, I understand.

Does Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla count here? 

THE GIANT CLAW has to have the "best/worst" monster of all time.  The movie itself is average 50's low budget sci fi, but the creature is so bad its "good".

• Like 2

I think the Bela films - of which were re-released in a very nice 20-film pack a year or so ago - are probably deserving of my 'least favorite' votes because Bela is such a magnet character for Monster Film lovers.  And those stories are terrible.  The supporting casts are just, well, nuthin'... and no matter what Bela did or didn't, time after time he proved that no one actor could save truly dreadful film projects.

They're not just bad.  They're FORGETABLE.  They boring.  I can set my expectations to the lowest Low possible, and they remain almost intolerable exercises in couch-sitting.

(Of course, when push comes to shove, I'l admit his DRACULA is a mighty test of 'sitting still' as well.  If anyone needs a case where a film score can be important, 1931's DRACULA highlights that by a film score's absence.)

GIANT CLAW remains a favorite of the Bad Films, but like Mr6 confessed - "it's fun".  So many achieve that ranking.  I think "boring and forgetable" is the true judge on how films settle at the bottom of my watchables.

• Like 1

And those stories are terrible.  The supporting casts are just, well, nuthin'... and no matter what Bela did or didn't, time after time he proved that no one actor could save truly dreadful film projects.

They're not just bad.  They're FORGETABLE.  They boring.  I can set my expectations to the lowest Low possible, and they remain almost intolerable exercises in couch-sitting.

I've said this for years.

After watching exclusively Universal "horror" on Svengoolie the past 3 years, I've realized they are the pits. Oh Bela Lugosi is a fine actor, if you ever get to see him in good material. But despite his talent, I find DRACULA a bore. Repeat plot/sets/music and you have the rest of the Universal library. They took no risks.

It's truly the great performances of the principle stars that elevate these mediocre movies. (well FRANKENSTEIN had great sets & little better story arc than the others)

• Like 1

THE GIANT CLAW--terrible special effects, terrible science (a giant anti-matter vulture from an anti-matter universe invades Earth looking for a place to lay her eggs? Whaaat?!?). The actors do the best they can with the terrible dialogue, but it's sort of a lost cause. 10 on the Lepus scale of Bad Movie Goodness

NIGHT OF THE LEPUS--inspriation for the Lepus Scale--careless scentists create giant killer rabbits which terrorize a small town. Many close-ups of bunnies with red paint on their faces, lots of red paint splashed around and over chopped up bodies (wait--rabbits are herbivores!) Probably one of the most hilarious lines of dialogue ever "Attention! Attention! Ladies and gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way and we desperately need your help!" On the plus side-Janet Leigh totally rocks her early 70's disco pants

ATTACK OF THE KILLER SHREWS--a group of people are trapped on an island with a pack of giant man-eating shrews (at least shrews aren't herbivores). Their solution--drink (a lot). Terrible dialogue, terrible acting and dogs wearing bath carpets. 9.5 on the Lepus Scale

• Like 1

Tracy, excellent comments on three fine candidates.  I need to ask the Monty Python folks if NIGHT OF THE LEPUS had been viewed about 18-too-many-times before they made HOLY GRAIL.

If IMDB or Wiki were really great, they'd have listings for "First ever film to mention ___" something.  Like Anti-Matter.  Now, the modern use of the term anti-matter was published in 1928 and 1929 (coincidentally, just when Talkie Technology was evolving!  Hmmmm -!) but GIANT CLAW may have been the first film to mention this. 

Of course, I'd have to go back and study all those Ford Beebe Serials - he managed to use a 'kitchen-sink' approach to jargon and terms - if it sounded cool, he used it .  I've always wished Deforest Kelley had been available for those serials - they really could have used a Bones' righteous indignation.

• Like 1

I've said this for years... Bela Lugosi is a fine actor, if you ever get to see him in good material. But despite his talent, I find DRACULA a bore.

Yes, if we ever need a film to testify about the additive quality of a musical soundtrack, DRACULA should be part of that lesson-plan.

In films where Bela wasn't The Only Star (or 'actor', even), he always turned in credible even heartening performances.  For example, THE SAINT'S DOUBLE TROUBLE, or much earlier, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, one of my favorite li'l hidden-gems (which, along with THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE, compete for Most Fun Film Ending Ever awards).  And THE INVISIBLE RAY, with Karloff and early lessons on the joy of radioactivity vs. humans.

I wonder who Bela insulted?  Who he humiliated repeatedly so he was kept away from even halfway decent scripts.

Assuming GODZILLA qualifies as a horror film, then it's GODZILLA (2014).  Easily, the worst movie I ever saw.  It has absolutely nothing to recommend it.  It's not even bad good.  It's just bad.

Okay, just realized my mistake with my answer, above.  This thread is asking for Best worst, not worst worst.

Wow, that's tougher.  There are so many.  I think I'll go with THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH/

One bad movie that really disappointed me was The Yesterday Machine(1963). Former Nazi scientist  sets up a secret laboratory in an abandoned farm house in Texas (or someplace similar) where he invents time travel in an attempt to change history and the Nazi defeat. When the disgruntled Confederate soldiers he's accidently brought forward in time shoot a local boy and his majorette girlfriend disappears, the local sherrif knows it must be Nazis! There's an Egyptian slave girl, a cocky newspaper reporter and a down-on-her-luck lounge singer (who happens to be the majorette's sister).. All the ingredients for a so-bad-it's-good movie are there (implausible plotline, terrible acting/writing, cheap special effects etc), but somehow, it never gels.