Sign in to follow this  
Deb23

MY FAVORITE YEAR - airing on TCM today at 3:15PM EDT

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone else love this movie as much as I do? Even though I have seen it numerous times - and in fact I own the DVD - I always have to watch it every time it is on TV. Of course, watching it on TCM is the best, because it is uncut and commercial-free. :)

I just want to acknowledge your post. I remember seeing *My Favorite Year* when it was first released. I liked it a lot then , and still do today. I find it a very entertaining film, kind off a throwback to an earlier era. Not just because of the time of the story but because of the style in which it is presented.

This is my favorite Peter O'Toole film. I watched it two times last night and laughed throughout. He is hilarious in it, but so is Joe Bologna!!

Thank you for your responses, mrroberts and LoveFilmNoir - it is nice to know that others find this movie as enjoyable as I do. :)

I have to say that this was the film that really made me take notice of Peter O'Toole, as he is wonderful in it. Since seeing this movie years ago, I have made it a point to watch other movies that O'Toole is in - although I have to say that his "Mr. Chips" movie was not one of the best I've seen.

Mark Linn-Baker is adorable and very funny in My Favorite Year. To this day, anytime I read or hear something about the Himalyas, I think of that rooftop scene where Baker's character exclaims "The Himalayas! The Hi-ma-la-yas!!!!" Always makes me laugh. :)

There are so many other great performances in this movie, from Joe Bologna and Lainie Kazan to Annie DeSalvo and Bill Macy - and Selma Diamond was aptly named, because she is a gem. I can just watch this movie over and over!

This is one of O'Toole's best performances. (There weren't many bad ones!) He achieves that special level of sensitivity unique to only the very best actors in their very best roles. He accomplishes this beautifully in "Mr. Chips," a film that I agree is not good. But if you want to see a magnificent actor at his most brilliant...

I've loved this film since its release too, Deb.

One of my favorite lines in it when Benjy takes Alan Swann to Brooklyn to meet his family, and his much older Aunt(I think it was) is obviously wearing her very old wedding dress to the occasion. Swan, attempting to be gracious says to her: "My, that's a lovely dress." , and her reply is, "Why thank you, Mr. Swann. I've only worn it once before!"

I like this movie, too. I also like North by Northwest. I'm starting to feel like My Favorite Year is being scheduled as often as North by Northwest (coming up again in August!). :)