Sign in to follow this  
dougiezerts

All Foreign Film Network

6 posts in this topic

I've got an idea: What if there was a cable network devoted entirely to foreign (made outside the US) movies? Perhaps TCM would be involved in setting it up. The films would be shown complete, unedited, without commercials, and subtitled. Perhaps films there were never imported to the US would be shown for the first time, too.

It's a good idea but it's simply too cost prohibitive...if it were to be run like TCM anyway - a large variety with few repeats. Licensing from the companies that deal in world cinema is already more expensive due to the web of copyrights compared to the studio films TCM shows - paying the NA distributor who has to pay the original rights holder/holders vs. a one to one transaction. The problem with international licensing is that companies prefer to find a broad distributor in North America who then licenses to TV rather than dealing films on an individual basis (not to mention the sheer number of companies the channel would have to deal with in the realm of world cinema.) As for getting films not distributed in North America, with Blu-ray we've mostly gotten rid of the NTSC-PAL issue but it is still a problem with TV; most European rights holders would only make an HD TV master suitable for Euro broadcast, they wouldn't want to spend extra cash on another market. Whoever would show the film in North America would have to shoulder the cost to make a TV master for the U.S.

An IFC/Sundance type of channel with a lot of repeat programming might be more feasible but I don't find it very attractive and of course IFC recently ruined itself via commercials + stagnant programming and Sundance is likely to follow it.

But you can bet if I was a billionaire Ted Turner type I would try to create a channel for that purpose.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2011 at 6:47 PM, dougiezerts said:

I've got an idea: What if there was a cable network devoted entirely to foreign (made outside the US) movies? Perhaps TCM would be involved in setting it up. The films would be shown complete, unedited, without commercials, and subtitled. Perhaps films there were never imported to the US would be shown for the first time, too.

As much as I love that idea it just wouldn't have a large enough audience and wouldn't be able to turn a profit. :( 

9 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

As much as I love that idea it just wouldn't have a large enough audience and wouldn't be able to turn a profit. :( 

I used to love the Sundance Channel and IFC (Independent Film Channel) during the first several years of their being on the air because they used to show many foreign films, from every time period, unedited and commercial free. I recorded as much from those channels as I did from TCM for awhile. But, alas, they each changed their business model and the channels took a downturn.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I used to love the Sundance Channel and IFC (Independent Film Channel) during the first several years of their being on the air because they used to show many foreign films, from every time period, unedited and commercial free. I recorded as much from those channels as I did from TCM for awhile. But, alas, they each changed their business model and the channels took a downturn.

Yeah, I don't remember the "commercial free" part but I remember them showing Nights of Cabiria before (albeit with commercials). As for the current state of their network, I don't care for it.