Sign in to follow this  
sue4546

THE UNINVITED

10 posts in this topic

Hello

I grew up with the film: The Uninvited with Ray Milland. Would love to see it again!

Thank you so much! I love your channel-it is the best!

Sue H

Welcome to the boards. *The Uninvited* is a great horror film and one of my favorites. TCM has showed it four times this year so I imagine it will be shown again in the not too distant future. I'll bet you didn't know that when it was first released in Britain, the censors made the studio cut out the scenes showing the ghost because they said it was "too terrifying" for the general public. My how times have changed.

> {quote:title=Tobias2 wrote:}{quote}

> Anyway, it would seem that the censors had nothing to do with it!

>

The information regarding the scene being deleted by the censor comes directly from the late British film book author Leslie Halliwell's autobiography "Seats in All Parts!" published in 1985.

In his mention of the film he also wrote "The national critics had unanimously congratulated the producers of 'The Uninvited' for daring not to show the ghosts in some conventional misty way but to leave them to the viewer's imagination."

I always assumed it to be true.

A highly watchable little ghost story. Twists and turns like a mad thing. I don't mind the smoke ghosts at all. The only thing I really find odd is the outfits the hospital head mistress wears. Very hollywood.

I love this film and its misty ghosts. England also presented VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, another favorite of mine, without the glowing eyes. Not sure why they believe a visual medium like film need be left to the viewers' imagination?! Odd.

Oh man, this is a fantastic film. This is a mood movie. Dim the lights, bring out the popcorn and watch a ghost story unfold. Tremendous casting and the visuals are fantastic. I look forward to this one every October!

They call them the haunted shores. These stretches of Devonshire and Cornwall and Ireland which rear up against the westward ocean. Mists gather here and sea fog, and eerie stories...

Hearing Ray Milland speak those words still bring shivers up and down my spine. This is without a doubt my favorite horror film. I first saw it on television when I was five years old, and was terrified by the misty ghosts. All these years later, I still can't look at them without feeling a slight unease. I'd like to see the film without the ghosts though, would be an interesting comparison for me.

The musical score for this film should also be mentioned. It would not have been the same film, or have had the same impact, without it.

The book by Dorothy Macardle is worth a read too. I picked it up from the library a few years ago and read it straight through one night. I've been trying to hunt down a copy I could buy to keep.

I'm thrilled TCM has been showing this film. I try to catch it every time it's aired.

I must say, I did not expect the surprise twist at the end the first time I saw this movie (even though I felt like I should've seen it coming later :) ) I really enjoyed this movie, the characters were likable and I always love dramatic plots!