"Real life has violence."

"The studios turned out a cookie cutter product."

"You can't tell a story in 75 minutes; it must be 3 hours."

"Black and white isn't true to life."

"Stop motion animation is archaic."

"Nobody goes to the bathroom."

"Only Asians should play Asians."

"Happy endings are naibe."

Might I suggest sticking with Showtime and HBO? TCM really isn't a good fit for you.

Oh Wise One. Maybe you can answer a question for me.

Last night I watched "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964) all the way through, for the first time.

TCM apparently inserted some reels out of order, and inserted some comedy film about Dodge City, Kansas, right in the middle of "Cheyenne Autumn".

For one hour I was watching a serious drama, with soldiers pursuing Indians, but all of a sudden, a comedy film came on, about the funny old days in Dodge City, with Jimmy Stewart.

So, what is the name of that comedy film? I would like to rent it and see it all the way through.

After the comedy ran, then TCM got the reel order correct again and went back to the serious drama with soldiers pursuing Indians.

Funny thing. The Indians had only a one hour head start, on foot, before the soldiers realized they were gone, but it took several months for the soldiers to catch up with them, even with the Army horses.

Fred:

A similar thing happened on Tuesday morning with "Sweet Music" from 1935. The movie was missing the first three minutes - the screen was blank during this time then the Technical Difficulties screen came up. The movie came up in progress and all was OK until 37 minutes in. Then the sound was out of sync for 15 minutes. Then, for about five seconds we got a color image of someone parachuting. Then the movie came back and the sound was in sync again.

During the whole mess of a broadcast the TCM.com logo was on the screen, but it was missing the ".com" portion.

At least Cheyenne Autumn is on DVD. Sweet Music is not and never will be and there's no telling when it will be on TCM again.

"I need realism in my cinema experience."

"Real life has cursing."

"Real life has violence."

"The studios turned out a cookie cutter product."

"You can't tell a story in 75 minutes; it must be 3 hours."

"Black and white isn't true to life."

"Stop motion animation is archaic."

"Nobody goes to the bathroom."

"Only Asians should play Asians."

Yeah, but you should have seen the ocean then. The Atlantic Ocean was really somethin' in them days.

I'm a little concerned about the skill of the person whose job it is to prepare these films.

Because this is the third time I've heard of this happening in the last couple weeks, it seems more like a pattern of errors, rather than a one-time fluke.

> I'm a little concerned about the skill of the person whose job it is to prepare these films".

Classicmoviefan and Calvin,

There was no problem with the airing of *Cheyenne Autumn*.

Fred was joking. The middle of *Cheyenne Autumn* has what feels like an extended sequence that moves away from the Indian story and features Jimmy Stewart as Wyatt Earp.

Fred doesn't like that part of the movie.

In reference to the cookie cutter production of movies, how many modern movies made since the Golden Age of Hollywood had been cookie cutter productions?

The many "Star Wars" ripoffs.

How many "Christmas Carol" remakes? They must used the Christmas cookie cutter on that one.

How many zombie / undead movies with the same old theme?

How many slasher / serial killer movies i.e. the Jason charactor has been made?

Besides movies, what about video games, the same ole zombie, man vs alien, hoodlum shooting hoodlum versions that's been made time after time.

Like old movies, thank goodness for the old game classics like PacMan. If it was a movie, it be on TCM. :)

Per Webster's online dictionary:

*"Naibe" is a common misspelling or typo for:* [naive|http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/naive].

COMMON? Really? Seriously?????? Wow. That's sad.

i seriously wish some filmmaker would make a modern movie in the exact same style as the movies of the 30's and 40's, archaic production style and all, right down to the style of the opening credits and jazzy orchestra score. Better yet, make the movie take place in the 30's or 40's, with period-correct dialoque. That's how much i love the movies of that era. (Now if only we could resurrect the stars and character actors from that era too). Over the years, a few modern film makers such as Woody Allen have tried to capture the tone of classic movies, but there's always something 'off' about them.

The title to this thread implies that anyone who does not like films from the 1930s and 1940s are people you do not like.

That is quite a statement. You sure you want to keep the title of this thread? At least you did not substitute the word "hate" for don't like.

Maybe you should change it to .......

*Why I disagree with people who don't like 30s and 40s movies.*

Actually, I was joking. This is the way "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964) really is.

The central hour of comedy in Dodge City, with Jimmy Stewart, was intentionally put into "Cheyenne Autumn" by John Ford.

This makes it a very odd film.

First, about 50 minutes of soldiers mistreating Indians.

Then about 50 minutes of the comedy in Dodge City.

Then another 50 minutes of soldiers mistreating Indians.

>i seriously wish some filmmaker would make a modern movie in the exact same style as the movies of the 30's and 40's, archaic production style and all, right down to the style of the opening credits and jazzy orchestra score.

Some people tried that a few years ago with a neo-noir film titled "The Good German", but it didn't work out.

Some of the promotion for the film said it was supposed to be like a 1940s noir, and they even used 1940s cameras and lenses to shoot it.

However, it contained vulgar scenes and cursing, which takes it out of a 1940s class. It takes place in Berlin right after the end of WW II, but guess who the "villains" are? The villains are the American soldiers and the American government.

Seems the modern producer and screenwriter could not escape modern Hollywood politics.

There are some scenes shot in a sewer, that are supposed to be like the sewer scenes in "The Third Man", but they weren't any good. They weren't lit well, and all they looked was nasty.

The film was supposed to have cost $32 million to make, but it turned out to be so bad it did not get widespread national theater distribution.

One of my best friends says "people aren't black and white." I love her to death but I can't even get her to watch CASABLANCA. She's into every other area of the arts but no black and white films. There is simply nothing I can do. It saddens me.

Cathy Cartee

I've got a friend who refuses to watch any silent or foreign movies, because he says that the subtitles "get in the way". Guess he won't be enjoying much of TCM today! ;)

Fred, about *Cheyenne Autumn*. As Richard Widmark would say -- John Ford was in the "Mr Magoo" stage of his life.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Actually, I was joking. This is the way "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964) really is.

>

> The central hour of comedy in Dodge City, with Jimmy Stewart, was intentionally put into "Cheyenne Autumn" by John Ford.

>

> This makes it a very odd film.

>

> First, about 50 minutes of soldiers mistreating Indians.

>

> Then about 50 minutes of the comedy in Dodge City.

>

> Then another 50 minutes of soldiers mistreating Indians.

Was the comedy sequence really 50 minutes? Wikipedia has it down as 13 minutes, or does it just seem longer to you due to Jimmy Stewarts delivery?

Could you picture Stewart playing Grant's role in HIS GIRL FRIDAY? Was he capable of talking that fast?................"Well, uh......"

to add to that initial list: "Fantasia was good animation for the time."

ARG!!!! IT'S GREAT ANIMATION FOR ANY TIME, YOU MORONS!!!!!

I feel better now. :)

darkblue wrote:

<< The only decade in film history to have the freedom to go for it on any topic. >>

Like the movie "Pretty Baby" (1978). How long will it take for anyone producing such a movie today be hauled off to jail for shooting a fake nude scene of a girl under 18.