Sign in to follow this  
PatBillard

humorous travelogues from the 50's & 60's

4 posts in this topic

When I was growing up in the 50's & 60's used to go to local movie theatre for marathon Saturday matinees. Had cartoons, at least one sometimes two features, newsreels, shorts even live entertainment (hula hoop and yo-yo competitions, magic acts).

I recall humorous travelogue shorts parodying serious travelogues. Was narrated by guy with a very distinctive voice. Had a series of them.

Does anyone recall these travelogues? Any chance anyone knows the name of the narrator or name of the series or studio?

Thanks.

Hi Pat,

That could be Lew Lehr who was with Twentieth Century-Fox studios in the 1930s and 1940s. He did a lot of humourous commentary parodying travelogues and newsreels, his most famous tagline was "Monkies is da cwaziest people!" read in a mock-German dialect. Tex Avery also directed animated cartoons making fun of travelogues such as "The Isle of Pingo-Pongo", "Detouring America" and "Land of the Midnight Fun", many of them narrated by the great Robert C. Bruce.

Thanks appreciate the suggestion, but person I am thinking about did not use funny voices nor accents although he had a very distinctive voice, and the shorts themselves were definitely circa 1950's not 30's & 40's