Sign in to follow this  
TGaines107

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

6 posts in this topic

To me, this has to be one of the top five greatest films of all time. Although the story has been told many times, there is only one Joan and thats Maria Falconetti! The camera work is exquisite, unique in its style and haunting in it's images. This film has very little set work, primarily a film of faces and emotion. The costuming of this film was top notch and my favorite version is set to the composer Richard Einhorn's Voices of Light which matches the film perfectly. Extremely important piece of cinema work, sad to think it was almost lost to the ages. TCM has shown this one several times and certainly a must see!

Another TCM viewer highly recommended this film to me and I really want to see it. I recently put in a request for this movie. I really hope that TCM will show it soon!

Falconetti's acting is so perfect and so intense that it is difficult to watch her suffering and shame.... This is probably the finest acting performance of the silent era.

This silent movie has retained the best film quality I have seen, full range of gray tones, absolutely beautiful.