MontyC

Name 10 Facts about this Movie

1,422 posts in this topic

2. Peter Bogdanovich remade this movie in the early 70's as an homage to Howard Hawks. Called WHAT'S UP DOC, it had Ryan O'Neal in the Cary Grant part & Barbra Streisand in the Katharine Hepburn part.

3)

The theme song "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" was written by Dorothy Fields & Jimmy McHugh and was originally a hit in 1928, having been introduced in the Broadway revue "Blackbirds of 1928".

4) The film, though today considered one of the best comedies ever, bombed at the box office, in part caused Hepburn to be labelled "box office poison", and hastened her departure from RKO.

8.) "Bringing Up Baby" was on of four films Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn appreared in together.

9) At one point, Cary Grant's character wears a woman's maribou-trimmed negligee, and when asked why, replies in an exasperated tone, "Because I just went gay all of a sudden!", leaping into the air on the word "gay." It is not certain whether the word is being used in its older sense of "happy", or whether it was intentionally a joking reference to homosexuality. Regardless of the intent, Cary pulls off the scene beautifully!

9). In the late 1980s Robert A. Harris conducted a multi-million dollar restoration of the film which resulted in the cut of the film that David Lean had always wanted. It had re-premieres in New York, Washington, Los Angeles, etc.

2.) Ann Sheridan was considered to portray Ilsa Lund before the part ultimately went to Ingrid Bergman.

4) Rick never says "Play it again, Sam." He says: "You played it for her, you can play it for me. Play it!". ---- Ilsa says "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By"'.

5)

Because of the success of the movie some early 1930's records of "As Time Goes By" were reissued in 1943.

(I have the 78 of the Jacques Renard Orchestra's version, originally from 1931 on Brunswick, reissued in 1943 on Decca).

6) The movie's line "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." was voted as the #20 movie quote by the American Film Institute.

7) The plane at the end was a cutout. To give the illusion it was full-sized they used forced perspective and little people to portray the crew preparing the plane for take-off.