Sign in to follow this  
Guest sysop

Desert Island Films

153 posts in this topic

Guest sysop

Rear Window? The Searchers? Bride of Frankenstein? What are your favorite desert island films?

Guest rstegall

Here are my favorite desert island films: Rear Window, Nights of Cabiria, Deep End, Kiss Me, Deadly, The Lady Eve, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Steamboat Bill, Jr., The Searchers, Bride of Frankenstein, The Manchurian Candidate.

Guest cinemanic

Wow, I'm surprised to see someone list this in their top ten. It's high on my list of things to see. Is it true that it was actually a mini-series in Germany, rather than a theatrical release?

Guest cinemanic

Wish I could expand this list to about 27...but here goes:Dr. Strangelove, Chinatown, Casablanca, Manchurian Candidate, The Godfather (I & II), Five Easy Pieces, Taxi Driver, Breaker Morant, The Tin Drum, Wings of Desire

Guest jjmadison

Did you really think The Tin Drum was that good? I thought the book was much better. Also, I don't think that Five Easy Pieces has aged very well. And Breaker Morant? Decent courtroom drama, but ulimately forgettable, I think.

Guest two2_tango

Wait...if I'm on a desert island, just how am I supposed to play these movies?

Guest two2_tango

Okay, this is a tough one...I'd say...Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Gold Rush, Modern Times, Bull Durham, Cinema Paradiso, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Romeo & Juliet (Zefferelli version), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Slap Shot.I think if I'm stuck on a deserted island, I'd want to keep the movies pretty light, although R & J is just too beautiful of a story not to have with me. It's got a little bit of everything in it. :-)

Guest django

This was tough but: Ben-Hur, Once upon a Time in the West (very underrated), The Seventh Seal, Chariots of fire, Life is Beautiful, Taxi Diver, Rocky, All Quiet on the Western Front(first version), Dr. Strangelove, and The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly

Guest OldMovieGal

"Johnny Belinda", "Meet Me In St. Louis", "Singin' In The Rain", "The Yearling", "Brother Rat", "Presenting Lily Mars", "Too Young To Kiss", "Little Woman", "Magnificent Obsession", and "The Empire Strikes Back".

Guest spot88

these may not be my all time favorites but I can watch these films over and over... Suspicion, Bull Durham, Some Like it Hot, Fast Times at Ridgemont High The China Syndrome, Grease,The Vikings (I love Kirk !),Victor Victoria, The Ten Commandments & Raider's of the Lost Ark

Guest Cindy

This is rough... Let me see? City for Conquest, Union Depot, Dust Be my Destiny, Singing Marine, Three on a Match, Horse Feathers,Riff Raff, Black Legion,They Drive by Night, Hold that Ghost

Guest carolhartis

Is that the Andrews Sister singing in the movie?

Guest Cindy

Yep! Andrew Sister's do indeed singing in that movie. Some good song's also. I think they sung like 2 or 3 songs.

Guest RosaMoline

Here are my favorites... All About Eve,The Women, Razors' Edge,Annie Hall,Crimes and Misdemeanors,The Wizard of Oz,History of the World Pt.1,Harriet Craig, and A Letter to Three WivesOpps needing one more, I'd say....Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Guest cinemanic

Wow, two for Bull Durham. Cute movie, but why a top ten pick?

Guest grey

Let's see...The Women; Steel Magnolias; Miracle in the Rain; Thrill of a Romance; Duchess of Idaho; Gentlemen Prefer Blondes; The Long,Long Trailer; Foxfire; The Major and The Minor;The Parent Trap.I wanna sing, laugh, dance and cry.

Guest Shannon, Jeffrey

Citizen Kane; Captians Courageous; Casablanca; It's a Wonderful Life; The Wizard of Oz; Pinocchio (1940); Vertigo; Treasure of Sierra Madre; A Night at the Opera.Special mention: The Godfather (1901-90) Trilogy non theatrical version/Home Video only; and honorable "Irish" mention, The Quiet Man. Great polls!

Guest lindysue

So cool to see this on someone's list! I'm a huge Lucy fan, and this is one of my all-time favorites. My only difficulty in watching this movie is hearing Desi called "Nicky" instead of "Ricky."

Guest Shannon, Jeffrey L.

I've written him, on several times, but with no response! What, are: TCMhost's Mr. Osborne's All-Time Picks and stars?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

I will ask and see if we can get Mr. Osborne to post his picks, Jeffrey. Great idea!!

Guest REpianist

Sunset Boulevard, The Crowd, Sorry, Wrong Number, The Little Foxes, Myra Breckenridge, Oscar and Lucinda, La Strada, Rebecca, Female Trouble, and Sunrise.

Guest KDoyle

OK, for SURE The Wizard of OZ!! Then... Good Will Hunting, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Steel Magnolias, Pretty Woman, Erin Brockovich, My Best Friend's Wedding, Forrest Gump, When a Man Loves a Woman, You've Got Mail, .... oops! Did I go over 10??! :)

Guest Joysie

If I could only have one, it would be Somewhere In Time. The other nine: Wuthering Heights, Gone With The Wind, Arthur, French Kiss, It's a Wonderful Life, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Quo Vadis!, Awakenings, Cliffhanger.

Claire, thanks for backing me up, on idea of: "TCM host & author: 70yrs. of Oscar" Robert Osborne's all-time candidates. Also, if you like: Oscar type trivia/Predictions, etc. try: "GoldDerby.comThanks J.S.

How long do you keep our lists?