Sign in to follow this  
Guest sysop

Desert Island Films

153 posts in this topic

Guest rbsteine

yeah, couldn't agree more. i guess if you were stuck on a desert island with someone you really, REALLy liked. Otherwise, not a happy experience seeing that movie over and over.

Guest Alix

If I had to be on a desert island (complete with electricity) these are the 10 movies I'd take: The Women, The Heiress, Pride & Predijuce, The Divorce, Red Headed Woman, Jewel Robbery, Gone With the Wind, Sense & Sensibility (Ang Lee version), Laura, The Sting. I'd of course cry, at having to leave all my other favorites behind......

Guest Cindy

Hi Alix,Weren't you on the old TCM message boards? I know you remember me? Cindy? Ain't this great having the message board back?

Guest cough67

Very cool to see Sunrise on this list. My favorite silent movie. Too bad I never see it on TCM

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Responding to Jeffrey re: how long the lists will be kept: Don't worry about these lists disappearing! If a discussion gets so huge as to be unwieldy, or if the discussion dies down and doesn't get much activity anymore, then we may archive the older messages, but they would still be accessible on the website.

Guest Jeff, Dr.

Myra Breckingridge? Some people would put that in their top ten worst list. So it's always fun to see someone do the reverse. Oscar and Lucinda...interesting choice. Female Trouble is hilarious and needs to be mandatory viewing for high schools everywhere. The other choices are classy.

Guest Alix

Cindy, Yes I was an "old board" regular. I am so happy to be back! I kind of think the conversation on the new boards is not as interesting yet as the old ones. I mean, we're limited to what we can discuss, pretty much, by the website host's questions at the top of the folders. I hope we can get some real discussions going, like in the "old days." I liked how we could post a question, and others answer it.BTW...were you the one who was the BIG FAN of Ramon Novarro? It's been so long I can hardly remember what everyone's favorite topics of discussion were!

Guest Cindy

These boards are okay. But, I liked the other boards better. I mean it's better than nothing. No, Ramon Novarro is really not one of my faves. I was the one who use to post all the trivia questions and am a big fan of the Warner Brothers movies/stars of the 1930's

Guest Alix

I am a big fan of the pre-Code era, so I love Warners! Also really like First National Pictures stuff too. Too bad we can't get more "dialogue" going.

Guest tcwilliams

I must confess, I'm new to classic movies and TCM, but I am loving it! May I be a complete dummy and ask what does the term "Pre-Code" mean? I've been lurking the boards and not commenting, just trying to learn. thanks.

Guest Cindy

Well, I will try my best in telling ya what pre-code means? Before, 1934-1935 Hollywood was showing movies that had sexual and violent materials in it's movies. Around 1934-1935 they had a "big crack down" on this. Rules had been established as to what Hollywood could not show such as mentioned. I hope this helps alittle bit.

Guest Cindy

How could I forget First National Oh my? I agree with ya. We should have more discussion on this? How can we start off? I will try and think of something.

Guest debandroo

I confess, when I first saw this list, I thought they were movies about desert islands!!!! It's been a long day!Anyway, here goes! Pride and Prejudice (I am glad someone else put that one there -- I'd also settle for Sense and Sensibility, too), The Philadelphia Story (I'm surprised at not seeing that one!), Mr Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, An Affair to Remember, Lady Jane, Mr Lucky, His Girl Friday, Singin' in the Rain, and Sound of Music. I confess a woeful lack of balance in the Cary Grant/Jimmy Stewart category but it's MY island!

Guest mrogers

debandroo you are not alone, I was trying to figure out which island location some of these movies ... never mind, now that we've figured it out, here's my choices (and this was tough!). Star Wars trilogy (they count as 1 since they're a boxed set)Back to the Future trilogy (again, a set)An Affair to Remember All About EveSense and SensibilitiesThe Ten CommandmentsMr. Smith Goes to WashingtonUnforgivenRaiders of the Lost ArkThe Two Worlds of Jenny Logan (probably not a classic or big hit, but it appeals to me very much!)

Guest TCMhost-Claire

"Pre-code" refers to films made before the Motion Picture Production Code went into effect in 1934. The code was instituted in 1930, but was not strictly adhered to for the first few years. The years 1930 to 1934 were the heart of the "pre-code" years, when directors and actors consciously defied the guidelines. The Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America (MPPDA) was an industry organization created to improve Hollywood's image in the wake of several scandals, both real-life scandals and scandalous films. It was the first of many waves of self-censorship and self-regulation to hit the American entertainment industry--similar efforts have occurred throughout the years in television, music, comics and video games. The head of the MPPDA was Will H. Hays, former Republican national chairman. The MPPDA soon became known as the Hays Office, and the Motion Picture Production Code as the Hays Code.The Hays Code included many of the elements you would expect: there were restrictions on nudity, profanity, and portrayal of sexual subject matter such as rape and venereal disease. But it also included restrictions that would never fly in today's film marketplace. There were restrictions about the portrayal of drug trafficking, revenge, sex outside of marriage, interracial relationships, "perversion" (aka homosexuality) and even the comic or villainous portrayal of clergymen. There were few specific restrictions about violence.The code lost its teeth somewhat over the years, and was replaced in its entirety in 1968, when the age-tiered rating system (G, PG, R, etc.) came into being.

Guest Cindy

Bravo Claire! You gave an excellent description about the pre-code era of movies!

Guest brennen

steamboat bill jr.a star is born (1954)harveywhat's new pussycat?snow falling on cedarslawrence of arabialife is beautifulpride and prejudiceseven samuraithe thin red linethe cameramanrushmorethe rocky horror picture showeast of edenlock stock and two smoking barrelsyojimbowives and daughtersit's a wonderful lifethe snowman (1982)easter parade i know i'm forgetting something...

Guest BestBoy

Drunken AngelThe GodfatherTreasure of the Sierra MadreTo Kill a MockingbirdRear WindowThe Seventh SealNight of the Living DeadPlay It Again, SamChinatownAmerican Graffiti

Guest brennen

i knew i forgot something.though i only saw the latter part of 'Drunken Angel' it is easily one of my favourites. the knive fight is one of the most suspenseful moments i have ever experienced in a movie. Toshiro Mifune is a fantastic actor, and Akira Kurosawa a brilliant director.

Guest brennen

...also:the lion in winterbeckettthe philadelphia storyhamlet(1948)young man with a horn

Guest BestBoy

I used to think of Kurosawa as a director of Samurai films. That's like saying "John Ford made westerns". Like Ford, his body of work is astounding.Drunken Angel was added to my list this year. It occurs to me that "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" should be included, but I can't eliminate anything else. May be time for the Top Fifteen.

Guest zchristy

It's a Wonderful Life, Notorious, Rear Window, An Affair to Remember, Casablanca, Sound of Music, It Happened One Night,Heaven Knows Mr Alison, The Philadelphia Story, Holiday, Shop Around the Corner, Cape Fear, The Misfits.

Guest dolfingal

My desert island movies are: Notorious, Indiscreet, Room at the Top, Laura, Gloria (1980), Speed, Runaway Bride, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Camille, The Thin Man and Love and Basketball.

Guest Wellespring

The Crowd, An American In Paris, Sweet Smell of Success, Dawn of the Dead, North By Northwest, Pierre Le Fou, Touch of Evil, Wild Strawberries, Brazil & Kwaidan...Of Course this is only if push came to shove, this afternoon.

Guest PattiSam

Geez....aside from ANYTHING with Shearer, Gable, Hepburn (either), Grant or Stanwyck...hmmmmmm....uhhhhh.... in no order...here goes: Sound of Music, Roman Holiday, Dial M For Murder, Meet Me In St. Louis, Born Yesterday, GWTW, Shakespeare In Love, 1954 Star Is Born, Three Coins In The Fountain, Where The Boys Are. Oh, this is impossible!!!! How 'bout ten in each category?