Sign in to follow this  
Guest sysop

Desert Island Films

153 posts in this topic

Guest Alix

Hey..this is a goodie. I'd forgotten about it. Glad you posted it.

Guest spiderbaby

Pandora's Box; Smiles of a Summer Night; Annie Hall; Spider Baby (go figure); Kubrick's Lolita; Burden of Dreams; McCabe & Mrs. Miller; Daughters of Darkness; Chimes at Midnight; They Shoot Horses, Don't They?; It (Clara Bow, not Stephen King miniseries)Although I agree with just about everybody else--especially the person who listed Dawn of the Dead!P.S. There's a good book by Thomas J. Doherty called Pre-Code Hollywood--guess what it's about!A lot of you may have already read it, but I thought it was very interesting..

Guest markf

Casablanca, Double Indemnity, Kind Hearts And Coronets, The Maltese Falcon, Shadow Of A Doubt, Sunset Boulevard, Rear Window, The Third Man, The Best Years Of Our Lives, The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre.These are just a few favourites off the top of my head, I'm sure I could list many more I love equally as much.

Guest BroncoRick

Several of you have really terrific taste! Its impossible to include everything, which is why lists generally strike me as usless! The last two AFI Prime Time shows were a good illustration. Any list of 100 best American Films that omits "Stalag 17" is a joke!But everyone has their favorites, so what the hell?The SearchersGrand IllusionThe Seven SamuraiModern TimesGreat Expectations (Lean)The Grapes of WrathBride of FrankensteinSullivan's TravelsAmarcordDuck Soup

Guest BroncoRick

I think this is a good topic!Something you have high regard for that you havent seen on pay cable or anywhere else for a long time!Two of my all time favorites are:The Devil and Daniel Webster, which features a wonderful performance by Walter Huston, and one of Bernard Herrmann's best scores!Also Wyler's Dodsworth. The last time I saw it I didnt think it dated at all!Does anyone know if these two are being held out of circulation by copyright problems or something similar?

Guest august

Altered StatesBonnie and ClydeBoogie NightsBrazilCrimes and MisdemeanorsThe Fisher KingThe GodfatherGone With the WindMiller's CrossingUrban Cowboy

Guest spiderbaby

Ninotchka; Sweet Smell of Success; Brother's Keeper; Eyes Without A Face; Salesman; The Man Who Came to Dinner; The Seven Year Itch.

Guest Alix

I totally agree with you on this one. It is an absolutely, top-notch film, and deserves to be seen more often. Walter Huston is so believable as the work-a-holic business man who travels to Europe for a vacation after his retirement. Both leading ladies are excellent in their roles too, and even years later, this film still rings true. Great movie!

Guest JLCVLC

I know a very handsome, and talented man, who played Tony Wendice in the play Dial M for Murder. He acted, and spoke like the man, who played the character in the movie. I truely love him, and he makes me very happy!

Guest Gable

New to the boards and thought this would be a good place to start. It's hard to pick only ten but I will go with these that aren't necessarily what I think are the 10 best films ever,but some of my absolute favorites.Teacher's Pet - Clark Gable and Doris Day... throw in Gig Young and you have the perfect screwball comedy!The Desperate Hours - Bogart at his nastiest... and there's that Gig Young again.White Heat - CagneyPeriodNorth by Northwest - This just may be my favorite film.Bonnie and Clyde - This flick is a blast! Beatty is awsome.The Hidden Fortress - Kurosawa!Pulp Fiction - A wild ride.Sabrina/Roman Holiday - Audrey Hepburn *sigh*Bad Day at Black Rock - My favorite Tracy.Suddenly - Great bad-guy Sinatra.I could go on forever I guess...there are soooo many I could switch out.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Rick, both of these are available on VHS from amazon.com. Dodsworth is also available on DVD.Use the "Request a Movie" link at the top of this page to request that TCM show these films.

Guest Alix

The "request a movie" link doesn't work, and I've tried it several times. Is it a problem with the website, or just my computer?

Guest BroncoRick

If you all great movie fans would request;The Devil and Daniel Webster,and Dodsworth,I am sure TCM could come up with beautiful prints of these wonderful films!

Guest Shannon, Jeffrey

Finally, I see someone, other than myself! That, thought: SINATRA-"THE CHAIRMAN," was superb in: "Suddenly" (l954) He, cited: "Man With the Golden Arm," as His Finest Performance though! I, by a hair PICK: "Suddenly!" Good choice!!! & On: "Bad Day at Black Rock" (l955) w/"The Great: TRACY!" Anytime I mention him, as being MY IDOL/HERO! People usually mention that pic. 1st!

Guest BroncoRick

Alix,You have very good taste!I had to play with it a little, but I think the "request a film" works!A couple others I havent seen on cable in a long time are "Black Narcissus" and "Children of Paradise"!Both truly great films!

Guest TCMhost-Claire

My apologies!! I just tried this link myself and I see it's behaving a bit strangely. I will report it right away to the webmasters and hopefully they will get it fixed immediately.

Guest Alix

Thanks Claire, for looking into the "request a movie link." However, in the past I have requested numerous movies, and do not think any have been played. Yes...I did check to see if they were movies that were owned by the TCM library. Do they really read/honor requests that are made? I've always wondered about that.

Guest Buster

My top ten films are (in no particular order)Last Picture ShowThe ApostleThat thing you doShepherd of the HillsSong of BernadetteEuropa EuropaThe Baker's WifeHeaven can Wait (Warren Beatty)MichaelEducating RitaThe Ox Bow Incident

Guest BroncoRick

I consider Ox Bow a great film!As much as I love Ford, I think Ox Bow introduced a gritty realism into the form that Ford wasnt comfortable with!

Guest BroncoRick

I would appreciate any feedback on this film; Children of Paradise.I was able to see it on a big screen a few years ago and really think it ranks up with the best!

Guest TCMhost-Claire

The movie requests definitely are read by the programming folks at TCM. Whether a request is honored depends on a lot of things--availability of the movie being the main thing, but also whether it's a single request or if lots of people request it, how it fits with other programming, etc. Since the schedule is programmed a couple of months in advance, a request may not show up right away.

Guest Alix

I appreciate the info Claire. Looks like what I need to do is get EVERYBODY I know to request "my movies," then maybe they'd get aired. I will keep trying.

Guest TCMhost-Joy

Robert Osborne's PicksHello, Classic Film Fans! Here's my top ten favorite list--THE RAZORS' EDGE (1946) GIG (1958) THIS IS SPINAL TAP RED RIVER A PLACE IN THE SUN LAURA GONE WITH THE WIND SUNSET BOULEVARD RANDOM HARVEST ALL ABOUT EVERunners-up include: Bertolucci's 1900...BRINGING UP BABY... CINEMA PARADISO... THE THIRD MAN...NOTORIOUS...JEAN DE FLORETTE...SOME LIKE IT HOT... SINGING IN THE RAIN... AND THEN THERE WERE NONE... THE UNINVITEDThanks for asking!Robert Osborne

Guest galatea

Oscar and Lucinda...definitely near the top. What else?Vertigo, How to steal a Million, Sabrina, Lawrence of Arabia, Stalag 17, The best years of our lives, An american in paris, Notorious, Anastasia(movies subject to change at any time :0)

Guest Dude, Classic -

Mildred Pierce (1945)Saboteur (1942)The Crowd (1928)A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)Three Comrades (1938)One Sunday Afternoon (1933)A Woman's Face (1941)Desperate (1947)The Bible (1966)The Bride Wore Red (1937)