Sign in to follow this  
Guest sysop

Desert Island Films

153 posts in this topic

Guest deadmissbates

1) The Third Man 2) Brief Encounter 3) Casablanca 4) Lawrence of Arabia 5) The Producers 6) Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Love the Bomb7) Chinatown 8) Citizen Kane 9) Monty Python and the Holy Grail 10)Cabaret

Guest BroncoRick

As much as I liked it, its just a modern turn on the "honor among thieves" theme. I would replace it with The Wages of Fear. A much better film, and the same basic theme!

Guest cfrances

What is the Tiki Auditorium Film Festival? I must know.

Guest Kavan

I saw The Devil and Daniel Webster years ago but I barely remember it. I've wanted to see Dodsworth ever since Time mag called it a forgotten classic in their AFI's top 100 movies issue.

Guest dolfingal

Three new "d-island" movies:Random HarvestLost HorizonThe Prisoner of ZendaWhat do these 3 films have in common?The wonderful RONALD COLEMAN!!!!!!!!!

Guest Ztephalino

1. Clue2. That Thing You do3. Titanic4. Singin' In the Rain5. Some Like It Hot6. Pleasantville7. The Hudsucker Proxy8. The Shawshank Redemption9. JumanjiThese are the ones I couldn't live without.

Guest BroncoRick

Dolfingal,Ronald Colman is one of my favorites as well!If you read Lost Horizon, if you havent already, he's the perfect Conway!

Guest Snapdragon_Slayer

1. The Godfather2. Seven Samurai3. Fargo4. Giant5. Night of the Hunter6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn7. Bridge on the River Kwai8. Now, Voyager9. North By Northwest10. Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?--Debbie in Michigan--

Guest Snapdragon_Slayer

He was great in Random Harvest, heck, everything he did with Greer Garson was magical.

Guest MoJo

Arsenic and old Lace..Cary Grants finest hour.Goodfellas..Pesci proving small people can be very scary.Bridges of Madison County..Adultery with approval.The Searchers..The Greatest Western of all.Way out West..Who could possibly dislike Stan and Ollie?Alien..Remember,Aliens do not like Salad!A Town like Alice..From the Neville Shute Classic novel.Raising Arizona..Coen Bros and Cage,Brilliant!Casablanca..This,is the greatest Love story on Film.The Godfather Trilogy..Yes,three films, i know but you have to watch the sequels.

Guest BroncoRick

Its great to see A Tree Grows in Brooklyn listed!The attention to detail with the period, and every performance letter perfect makes it a great film!

Guest JoeGillis2000

Well, since my first post was spell-checked, re-casting Orson Welles into "Arson" (hasn't the poor man been through enough without the TCM spell-checker turning him into a firebug?), Bob Fosse as "Posse," James Stewart as "Steward" and Broadway as "roadway," let me try this again:1. "Some Like it Hot": the best sound comedy ever made; Jack Lemon's finest comic performance2. "The Magnificent Amber sons": Orson Wells' greatest film, even in its butchered state 3. "Lawrence of Arabia": if only my island has a Panavision screen.. 4. "Cabaret": the finest transfer of a Broadway musical ever, and Bob Fosse's masterpiece 5. "The Godfather"/"The Godfather Part II": have to be considered as one film 6. "Vertigo": James Stewart is the greatest actor in the history of the movies. - David Denby 7. "Pinocchio": the pinnacle of animated features - beautiful, dark and haunting 8. "Chinatown": no film noir was ever so complex or moving 9. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind": the most gentle, beguiling creature feature ever made10. "Singin' in the Rain": 'nuff said

Guest TCMhost-Joy

"Some Like It Hot" will be aired on TCM on September 30 at 6:00 pm ET. And I agree, Jack Lemon was at his finest in this film, although I think he was always hitting 10s in his performances. :)

Guest JoeGillis2000

Jack Lemmon elevated every film he ever made.

Guest glinda

My favorite desert island film is Heaven Knows Mr. Allyson. A nun and a marine are trapped on a Japanese occupied island. What could possibly be more exciting?

Guest sloanejazz

1. Goodbye, Mr. Chips 2. Mrs. Miniver 3. Life Is Wonderful 4. Some Like It Hot 5. Casablanca 6. 2001, A Space Odyssey 7. Pride and Prejudice 8. The Godfather 9. The Piano (Laurel & Hardy short subject) 10. Jezebel

Guest LOLMSTED

1. GWTW 2. Some Like It Hot 3. Life Is Beautiful 4. Noises Off 5. All About Eve 6. North By Northwest7. Silence of the Lambs8. Sound of Music9. Philadelphia Story10.West Side Story

Guest Clara_Keaton

Only Ten...*sigh*.... Well, I'll try. Honestly I will. 10. Some Like It Hot 9. The Cameraman (because I cannot live without Buster Keaton's sweet face) 8. The Sheik 7. The Wizard of Oz 6. The Empire Strikes Back 5. The Indiana Jones Trilogy (if you make me choose just one, I will surely die LOL) 4. Wings ('cause I need a good cry) 3. Shall We Dance? I LOVE Fred and Ginger!!!! 2. It - the Clara Bow vehicle, not the one with John Boy Walton LOL 1. Boys Town - because it is truly my favorite movie, and where would I be without it???? See, and I'm forgetting all the Bing Crosby/Bob Hope "On the Road" series of movies, "Holiday Inn", "Top Hat", "Nosferatu", "Sunset Blvd." "Schindler's List" ....and the list goes on and on and on!!!

Guest fierro, michelle

Here is my top ten in no particular order. 1.Sunset Boulevard 2.All about Eve 3.Bad and the Beautiful 4.They drive by night 5.Philidelphia Story 6.Bonnie and Clyde 7.Postman Always Rings Twice 8.My man Godfrey 9.Libeled Lady 10.Guess who's coming to Dinner I'm a sucker for men who wear hats. My other top ten list is more modern

Guest Mulvey, Chris

1.The set-up 2.Twelve Angry Men 3. Bad day at Black Rock 4. Fail-safe 5. Elvis on Tour 6. It's a wonderful life 7.Shadow of a Doubt 8.The Maltese Falcon 9. To Die for 10. JFK

Guest Sammy

The films I simply could not live without: Rear Window Sunset Boulevard All About Eve Laura Mildred Pierce Now, Voyager High Noon A Letter to Three Wives Casablanca Out of the Past Runners up: Double Indemnity, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Postman Always Rings Twice, A Place in the Sun, Suspicion, Notorious, From Here to Eternity, North by Northwest, An Affair to Remember, Wuthering Heights, Waterloo Bridge, Gone With the Wind, The Bad and the Beautiful, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

Guest Ross, Scott

Off-topic, I know, but is "sloanejazz" Carol, perchance? A longtime Triangle resident misses her smooth sounds.

Guest Garcia, Mitch

what about Suddenly, or treasure Island, there are so many essential movies a collection needs and you don't have them listed, but this is your list anyway. I would have included some jimmy steward movies, along with a few other Gary cooper movies, sergeant York, ball of fire, meet john doe and the list goes on. you did include casablanka, but what of the african queen or treasure of serria madre those are certenly essential films. here's one that always is loved is little loard fontaroy.

Guest K, Sandy

Funny, for some reason I never read the messages in this discussion before. It made me realize how much I miss TCM Hosts Claire and Joy! Where have you gone? Come back! Interesting that Robert Osborne lists THIS IS SPINAL TAP as one of his picks! Shows that he has a great sense of humor! Ok, these are the films that I would want with me if I was all alone on the island-not necessarily my favorites of all time. (Although, some are!) Some Like It Hot--always makes me laugh! Gone With The Wind--love it more every time I watch it The Music Man Meet Me In St. Louis-both of these to remember a small-town America that never really was-but I can dream, can't I? The Philadelphia Story-my faves Kate, Cary, and Jimmy all rolled into one tasty little dish Swing Time- the ultimate Fred & Ginger flick An American In Paris-I've watched the last 20 minutes of it so many times! LOVE the score! Ferris Bueller's Day Off-the best of the 80's comedies. Addictively quotable. Moulin Rouge (2001)-a feast for the eyes and ears Waiting for Guffman-if you've ever done community theatre, you can relate. Laughed so hard I cried. Gets funnier on subsequent viewings. Sandy K

Guest son, jery

Sandy, we're really bumping into each other today! I saw your list and loved each of your entries. Especially the great "Meet Me In St. Louis" and especially the fabulous, "Moulin Rouge." I brought the DVD last week and it's fantastic. The color, the clothes, the song, the sizzling, hunky Ewan McGregor! Wooo! You mentioned how much you loved small town settings. Well, here's a real gem. "Nice Girl?", 1942, starring Deanna Durbin, is one of my all time favorites. She lives in this shimmering small town during the war and sings haunting ballads, "Lights of Home," and the great finale number, "Thanks to You, America!" You'll fall in love with the small town magic created by Universal Studio, something they were masterful at doing. Vera West outdid herself in creating Deanna's l942 frocks. The VHS copy is about $14.00. It's worth it.