The NRA Eagle, symbol of the New Deal National Recovery Act

footlight15.jpg

The Warners were big supporters of Roosevelt

*FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933)*

*Warner Brothers w/Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, James Cagney,Joan Blondell*

*By A Waterfall*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3yAeyDsVQ

*8 minute clip*

*Chester Kent produces Musical Comedies on the stage. With the beginning of the talkies aera he changes to producing short musical proluges for movies. But this is stressing him, because he always needs new units and his rival is always stealing his ideas. So he can get an contract with a producer, if he is able to stage in three days three new proluges. In spite of great problems he does it.*

Footlight Parade is one of my favorites. Cagney and Blondell are great in it as well as the musical numbers done by Busby. This is the movie that got me interested in pre-code movies. I didn't know about them but after I saw this film I was surprised by its open sexually and did some research.

roman.jpg

roman4.jpg

roman2.png

roman3.jpg

Lucille Ball

roman8.jpg

roman5.jpg

roman6.jpg

Ruth Etting, publicity still

roman7.png

roman12.jpg

roman9.jpg

roman10.jpg

roman11.jpg

*ROMAN SCANDALS (1933)*

*Samuel Goldwyn Production w/ Eddie Cantor, Ruth Etting, Gloria Stuart*

*Keep Young and Beautiful*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVpcQdiLBE

*10 minute clip*

*One of the most notable Berkeley films, although not often shown. Has all the great polish of a Goldwyn film, with very nice set design. The featured song: "Keep Young and Beautiful (If you want to be loved)", is a poignant and cruel reminder to women.*

*A kind-hearted young man is thrown out of his corrupt home town of West Rome, Oklahoma. He falls asleep and dreams that he is back in the days of olden Rome, where he gets mixed up with court intrigue and a murder plot against the Emperor.*

fashionsof1934.jpg

fashions6.jpg

fashions8.jpg

FashionsOf1934LC.jpg

fashion1934.jpg

fashions.jpg

One mother wrote to the studio complaining that she didn't want her daughter to grow up to be a human harp!

fashions5.jpg

fashions7-1.jpg

fashions2.jpg

Bette Davis

fashions3.jpg

fashions9.jpg

*FASHIONS OF 1934*

*First National Pictures w/ Willaim Powell, Bette Davis*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1UpndCSKs

*8 minute clip*

*Warners decided that Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell and Joan Blondell had received their exposure in Berkeley's films, and substituted William for "Dick" and added Bette Davis. This film is well remembered among classic film fans, despite the fact that it is not often seen or shown.*

*Sherwood Nash is a swindler who bootlegs Paris fashions for sale at cut-rate prices. His assistant Lynn poses as An American interested in a dress and Snap conceals a camera in his cane. When they try to steal the latest Baroque designs hidden cameras capture them. Threat and counterthreat lead to the suggestion of putting on a legitimate show.*

wonder3.gif

wonderbar11.jpg

wonderbar12.jpg

wonderbar5.jpg

wonderbar3.jpg

wonderbar7.jpg

wonderbar10.jpg

wonderbar6.png

Kay Francis, taking a good photo!

wonderbar13.jpg

*WONDER BAR (1934)*

*First National Pictures w/ Dolores Del Rio, Kay Francis, Dick Powell, Al Jolson*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3aCJzMh22c

*10 minute clip*

*Harry and Inez are a dance team at the Wonder Bar. Inez loves Harry, but he is in love with Liane, the wife of a wealthy business man. Al Wonder and the conductor/singer Tommy are in love with Inez. When Inez finds out, that Harry wants to leave Paris and is going to the USA with Liane she kills him.*

dames2tumblr.gif

dames7tumblr.gif

dames22.jpg

dames19.jpg

dames10.jpg

dames9.jpg

dames11.jpg

dames15.jpg

The man had a tunnel fetish

dames14.jpg

dames6.jpg

dames5.png

DAMES3.jpg

dames4.jpg

Just medicine, that happens to be a little stronger than Bacardi 151!

dames1.jpg

dames12tumblr.gif

dames13tumblr.gif

dames16-1.jpg

dames18.jpg

dames23.jpg

dames20.jpg

dames24.gif

*DAMES (1934)*

*Warner-Vitaphone w/ Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, Joan Blondell*

*Musical sequence*

*9 minute clip*

*"I Only Have Eyes For You"*

*6 minute clip*

*Laundry Dames*

*6 minute clip*

*Although I couldn't provide the entire film, the clips above have all the good highlights! This movie is not often shown or seen, which is unfortunate because it does have a lot of imaginative razzle-dazzle. The film replicates and glorifies the image of Ruby Keeler to a degree that smacks of someone's personal fetish and obsession.*

*Multi-millionaire Ezra Ounce wants to start a campaign against 'filthy' forms of entertainment, like Broadway-Shows. He comes to his relatives families and makes them members of his morale-boosting campaign. But Jimmy, another relative is producing a show, starring Ezra's niece Barbara. But he had bad luck with his backer, this person has given him an invalid check. Another of his victims, the show-girl Mabel has the idea of blackmailing Horace, Barbara's father, whom she has met before in a slightly compromising situation to get the money.*

golf1935tumblr.gif

gold1935-1.gif

gold19353.jpg

gold19355.jpg

gold19352-1.png

It's what it was all about!

gold19358.jpg

gold19357.jpg

gold19359.jpg

Dick Powell hoofing.

gold19356.jpg

*GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935*

*Warner First National Pictures Dir by Busby Berkeley, w/ Dick Powell, Gloria Stuart, Adoplhe Menjou*

*Lullaby Of Broadway*

*13 minute segment in twp parts*

*The Words Are In My Heart*

*This film was entirely directed by Busby Berkeley, as opposed to just a choreographed musical portion. Being one of the most surreal films ever to be made in mainstream Hollywood, it betrays his unique imagination at work. For many decades, a sort of hard realism has pervaded Hollywood filmaking, (except when computer generated special effects are called for.); stage sets are seldom used. I marvel at how comfortable 1930's filmaking was with a popular surrealism, not the kind that would have appealed to snobs, but which had appeal to the masses and which represented a surreal, fabricated visual world.*

*In a luxury hotel stage director Nicoleff stages a show to get the money to pay his bills. Mrs. Prentiss, who is backing the show wants her daughter Ann to marry the millionaire T. Mosely Thorpe, but Ann falls in love with Dick Curtis, while Dick's girl friend marries Ann's brother Humbolt. But the hotel secretary Betty knows a way to avoid dificulties with old Mrs. Prentiss.*

1937.jpg

19373.jpg

19377.jpg

19374.jpg

19378.jpg

19372.jpg

193711.jpg

19379.jpg

193710.jpg

Pop culture surrealism.

19375.jpg

19376.jpg

*GOLD DIGGERS OF 1937 (1936)*

*Warner First National- w/ Dick Powell, Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell*

*All Is Fair In Love and War*

**http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiHMOj_O7lA

*12 minute clip*

*Stage-producer J.J. Horbart, is going to put on a new show, but he doesn't know that his two partners lost the money at the stock market. Insurance salesman Rosmer Peck falls in love with ex chorus-girl Joan Blondell, who's friend Genevieve tries to land on one of J.J Horbat's partners. They come up with the idea to insure J.J. for $1 Million, to get the money back when he dies. Rosmer sells him the policy. After the insurance Company finds out that he's only a hypochondriac, an attempt to kill him accidently fails, and Genevieve falls in love with J.J. But when J.J. is informed that he is putting on a show with no money he has a breakdown. The only possibility to restore his health is putting on the show, in spite of the lack of money*

> {quote:title=ThelmaTodd wrote:}{quote}

>

>

> 19377.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *GOLD DIGGERS OF 1937 (1936)*

>

> *Warner Bros.*

>

Thelma,

The lady in the center of this poster is Ethelreda Leopold. She came to Hollywood in 1934 and made her debut in DAMES and right away became a Busby Berkeley regular, appearing in just about every Berkeley picture at Warner Bros. from then on. She also worked extensively at Columbia, appearing in numerous comedy shorts there, most notably with The Three Stooges, and in one called A STAR IS SHORN (1939) in which she was the star. She also worked a lot at Universal in the early 1940's as well as stopping at different times at just about every other studio.

Although she often didn't even get speaking roles, she actually got to sing occasionally in some films such as the 1936 MGM short NEW SHOES and the 1944 Universal feature SOUTH OF DIXIE.

Ethelreda turns up often unbilled in Universal Pictures, and when I spot her and point her out to my friends while watching movies at our weekly Sunday night screenings (where we run mostly Universals), they usually have a good laugh at what they consider her funny name!

I got to meet Ethelreda in 1990 and she was very nice, although (understandably) didn't recall every one of her numerous early roles. I showed her two stills I have from two different 1937 Columbia shorts (one starring Andy Clyde and one El Brendel) in which she is wearing the exact same dress in both films. I asked her if it was her own dress or something from the studio. She said that sometimes in the Columbia shorts, if she didn't have to fall in mud or get a pie in the face, she would wear her own dresses.

By the way, when I look at those two stills now, I kick myself (figuratively!) for not having her autograph them while I had the chance! (But I did get some others signed...)

Ethelreda passed away in 1998 and had kept on working almost right up to the end, mostly on TV.

gang7.jpg

gang4.jpg

gang8.jpg

gang3.png

gang2.jpg

gang.jpg

gang5.jpg

gang6.jpg

gang10.jpg

gang9.jpg

The woman was extravagance and silliness personified.

gang12.jpg

gang11.jpg

Benny Goodman

*THE GANG'S ALL HERE (1943)*

*Twentieth Century Fox w/ Carmen Miranda, Alice Faye, Benny Goodman and His Orchestra*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX0aWU4ANFQ

*Full movie*

*Ending finale*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEvx3rLVS4

*8 minute clip.*

*The Lady in the Tutti Frutti Hat*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-krLQsKGQ

*7 minute clip*

*By the late 30's,* *Busby Berkeley* *had to cool his jets and could not continue with the flashy* *extravaganzas that made him famous years before. Probably due to changing tastes, but also because of the Production Code. In this film, he musters his old penchant for suggestiveness and visual specatacle one more time.*

*Musical highlights include* *Carmen Miranda* *performing an insinuating, witty version of "You Discover You're in New York" that lampoons fads, fashions, and wartime shortages of the time. The film is also memorable for Miranda's "The Lady in the Tutti Frutti Hat", which because of its sexual innuendo (dozens of scantily clad women handling very large bananas), prevented the film from being shown in Miranda's native Portugal in its initial release. Even in the US the censors dictated that the chorus girls must hold the bananas at the waist and not at the hip.*

*Playboy Andy Mason, on leave from the army, romances showgirl Eadie Allen overnight to such effect that she's starry-eyed when he leaves next morning for active duty in the Pacific. Only trouble is, he gave her the assumed name of Casey. Andy's eventual return with a medal is celebrated by his rich father with a benefit show featuring Eadie's show troupe, at which she's sure to learn his true identity...and meet Vivian, his 'family-arrangement' fiancée. Mostly song and dance.*

million7.jpg

million4.jpg

An iconic shot.

million.jpg

What the Warner's musicals would have looked like, in color!

million2.jpg

A potentially dangerous shoot!

million3.jpg

million5.png

million6.jpg

*MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID (1952)*

*MGM w/ Esther Williams, Victor Mature*

*Aqua sequence*

*7 minute clip*

*Our* *New Year's Busby Berkeley celebration,* *which started 10 days ago, wraps up with this entry. Twenty years into the film business, Berkeley and his imagination were heriocally soldiering on, deployed wherever any producer was willing to allow and bankroll it. The man had "spectacular" in his blood!*

*Biopic of Australian swimming champ and entertainer Annette Kellerman. After overcoming polio, Kellerman achieves fame and creates a scandal when her one-piece bathing suit is considered indecent.*

birth.jpg

birthbig2.jpg

birth2.jpg

birth11.jpg

birth4.jpg

birth8.jpg

The justification for Griffith's revisionism

birth9.jpg

birth12.png

birth7.jpg

birth6.jpg

birth10.jpg

birth14.png

dixon.jpg

birth13.jpg

This, from a democrat President.

*BIRTH OF A NATION (1915)*

*David W. Griffith Corp. w/ Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh*

**http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEznh2JZvrI

*Full movie- 3 hours*

*Historical revisionism can itself be an exploitation of the film medium. Screenwriters and producers have always taken liberties with historical personages and facts. This has almost always been done to make the screenplay more palatable and marketable to a mass audience. This film is not in that category;* *Birth Of A Nation* *was created by Griffith as a personal crusade to revise the historical record as it pertained to the cause of the South and particularly, the Ku Klux Klan.*

*To make a "southern case" is one thing; to recast the Klan as a heroic force for the good, whose main mission was the protection of innocent womanhood was quite another. Where a threat is indicated, the source of the threat has to be indicated as well- and in this case it had to be the blacks, who are shown as being out of control. It's no surprise that this film caused riots and disturbances in a number of cities.*

*Based upon a revisionist book by* *Thomas Dixon Jr., The Clansman: A Historical Romance Of the Ku Klux Klan (1905),* *the film was meant to amplify Dixon's laundered impression of the Klan. Both the book and the film reinforce the notion of white supremacy, of the innate degeneracy of blacks and of the Klan's benevolent role as a force for the good and the right.*

*This film was technically very impressive for it's time. It is quite long (3 hours), had many novel uses of the camera and featured a very compelling story narrative. Knowing nothing else about the subject, a viewer can easily be seduced by Griffith's personal passion and view. The man totally believed in what he was doing, felt strongly about it and it shows. Griffith swore by the message and mission of this film to the end of his days. Birth Of A Nation strikes a raw nerve in the national psyche, and has the enduring potential to be an inflammtory film to this day.*

*The complete upload that I am providing is a blah looking black and white print. Far better is the restored version by Kino Video using tinted film stock. The restored version has aired on TCM.*

*Two brothers, Phil and Ted Stoneman, visit their friends in Piedmont, South Carolina: the family Cameron. This friendship is affected by the Civil War, as the Stonemans and the Camerons must join up opposite armies. The consequences of the War in their lives are shown in connection to major historical events, like the development of the Civil War itself, Lincoln's assassination, and the birth of the Ku Klux Klan.*

Thelma,

Actually, the version that Kino had on DVD for years, and what TCM shows are not the same. TCM has been airing the Photoplay productions version of BOAN. The older Kino DVD is nowhere near as good a print transfer. However, Kino just released the movie on Blu-ray and that print is probably superior to what TCM shows. Not having seen it I can't say. It does have a different music score than before. The just released Blu-ray has a new scoring arrangment and recording from Rodney Sauer and Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra. The may still be an alternate track of the the re-created 1915 Orchestra score that was on the previous editions. I am not sure

leary.jpg

The High Priest

leary2.gif

*HOW TIMOTHY LEARY CHANGED MY LIFE*

*Claire Burch Production*

http://www.archive.org/details/Timothy_Leary_Archives_223

*Full film in two parts, features full nudity.*

*ADULTS ONLY!*

*I sometimes like to make drastic changes of trajectory on this thread, and shifting gears from the Ku Klux Klan to Timothy Leary and LSD is one of those moments! The subject of this thread allows for great eclecticism of material, and I love it!*

*The subject of Leary and LSD is inherently sensational. There is nothing mainstream about it. He was, and remains a perpetual radical, an alien presence in our cultural and national fabric. He might as well have been dropped off from another planet. Both the man and the drug he glorified were radical agents of deconstruction. What he was deconstructing was the very culture and shared assumptions that reinforce it. From the standpoint of the authorities, bad enough that he would engage in such experiments personally, but his penchant for proselytisation, to entice the younger generation into an altered state of mind and alternate lifestyle, was the ultimate transgression. No country or society could easily accommodate such a person; he would have wound up an outlaw in any nation.*

*Claire Burch* *was a writer and filmmaker. In this documentary film she interviews herself and many others about their personal experiences with Leary.*

be-in.jpg

Allen Ginsberg, beat poet turned hippy guru.

*BE-IN (1967)*

*Film by Jerry Abrams, w/ Allen Ginsberg, Timothy Leary*

*7 minute short*

*The term "Be-In" arose out of the "sit-in", a non-violent 60's protest strategy that would foreshadow the Occupy movement 40 years later. Sit-ins were used to target certain institutions, like ROTC and college admin buildings in order to protest a variety of causes like Vietnam, the political system etc. A "be-in" would "occupy" a certain space, not so much for protest but for the celebration of a counterculture presence and lifestyle fueled by free music, food and plenty of drugs. To the young people participating, it was a joyful life affirmative experience. To the horrified older generation, it all signalled the end of civilisation.*

*A short film with an all musical sountrack by the* *Blue Cheer*. *Conspicous on the stage were* *Timothy Leary* *and pop poet-guru* *Allen Ginsberg*

*The Human Be-In was a happening in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park the afternoon and evening of January 14, 1967. It was a prelude to San Francisco's Summer of Love, which made the Haight-Ashbury district a symbol as the center of an American counterculture and introduced the word 'psychedelic' to suburbia. It is now a little-known term used by the hipster counter-culture to describe inclusive events.*

leary3.jpg

leary5.png

leary4.jpg

*TIMOTHY LEARY: HOW TO OPERATE YOUR BRAIN aka How To Operate Your Mind On Drugs*

*Retinalogic Films, w/ Timothy Leary*

*Full movie in 4 parts.*

*In this montage fueled lecture, Leary contrasts his soothing, sedating hypnotherapist voice with jarring, chaotic visuals. He was a self avowed agent of chaos, saying that chaos is natural and even good. He saw society's attempts at resolving chaos as a form of control and conditioning which were an impediment to expanded consciousness. He understood all along that he would be at war with a culture that demanded conformity and control from above. Had he remained a Harvard professor, he could have had a comfortable but hum drum life. He ended up living by, and sacrificing himself to the life and consciousness altering possibilities of LSD.*

ar.jpg

*AQUARIUS RISING (1967)*

*Film by Pierre Sogol*

*Full film in 7 parts*

*A remarkable documentary that bears contemporary witness to the heyday of the the hippie movement, set off by a lot of music by various groups, including the Beatles. Created by "Pierre Sogol", suspected by some to not be his real name. (I think his name is a reversed annagram for "Logos", a Greek word for cosmic name of God). Sogol is a self-descibed "noologist". This film is a 1992 edit of his archival footage.*

*Aquarius Rising* *shows the famed "Sunset Strip Riot" following the closure of Pandaros Box, a hiptser hangout and club, some communes like Strawberry Field and OM, as well as a few other hippy gatherings.*

*Also shown are citizen meetings with the police, where the hippies are derided in language that almost exactly mirrors the current critiques of the Occupy protesters of today, complete with suggestions that they are in need of a bath. If anything, the original hippies make the current generation of Occupy people seem like a bunch of wannabes; their aims were more radical and far-reaching, seeking nothing less than a reinvention of human consciousness, spirituality and society with psychedelics.*

*The film has title overlays that make a number of claims that conventional religious people would consider sacrilegious and blasphemous. Mentioned is something called "Kykeon", an ancient Greek word for sacred barley bread, which is claimed to have been consumed by the Essenes and Jesus himself to bring about an altered state of consciousness. The implication is that the "bread" which Christ gave as a sacrament to his apostles was well, loaded with a little something that would make you see things differently! The scientific basis for this was (re)discovered in 1943 by Swiss chemist Albert Hoffman, who isolated and ingested LSD in the course of his research into barley mold.*

*The film informs us that the tiny red mushrooms that grow on the “rusted” flowering stalks of barley (called “tares” in the bible) and other grain "**are called Claviceps Purpurea, and contain lysergic acid proponolimide and lysergic acid diethylamide-25 (LSD-25)".*

*Also from the film:*

*“Jesus spoke in Aramaic and the word “peter” comes from the name for little mushrooms. In Greek, Peter could be a pun on rocks. Upon this mushroom (not rocks) I will found my church. “My way is the only way” said Jesus, whose name in greek was Iasos. Iasos means “man of the drug”. No wonder he was executed in Jerusalem…"*

*At the end is this:*

*"Seeing this video would be the greatest thought crime of all. Too late, now you’ve seen it."*

*Perhaps reading my posts is a thought crime as well? Too late! You've already read them!*

summer.jpg

summer2.jpg

*SAN FRANCISCO 1968- Summer Of Love*

**http://www.archive.org/details/SanFrancisco1968

*5 minute short*

***This appears to have been amateur footage taken of an event in a park. In it's brief 5 minutes, it manages to capture well the spirit of it's time and place. It's all there: kids chilling out, rock music, a child playing with a Bible, Hare Krishnas, pot smoking, people dancing like they are zonked out and under the influence. This event is much remembered and celebrated in the popular consciousness; there was an attempt to recreate it 40 years later with apparent nostalgia.*

*I'm reminded of a memorable line in* *Casablanca (1942),* *where Captain Renault (Claude Rains**) is ordered to shut down Rick's Cafe after the people get carried away singing the Marsellaise:*

*"But everybody's having such a good time."*

*Major Strasser: "Yes. Much too good a time!"*

*That's it in a nutshell. These people were obviously having much too good a time; it couldn't last! The "scene" was done in by two forces, the authorities cracking down on open drug use, and by so many people "graduating" from pot to "speed"(meth) and other hard junk. Junk produced a "downer" in the form of junkies, who preyed on the flower children.*

htemp.jpg

The Grateful Dead being interviewed

*THE HIPPIE TEMPTATION (1967)*

*CBS News documentary w/ Harry Reasoner*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho-tPtTwJK8&feature=related

*Full documentary in 4 parts*

*In this,* *Harry Reasoner* *takes a sanctinonious and slanted view of the San Farancisco hippy movement in that clipped tone that was characteristic of narration and newscasting at the time. This documentary has taken on a "camp" appeal over the years, and like so many of the drug scare films before it, was meant to play to the fears and prejudices of mainstream viewers. Reasoner seems to assume (probably correctly), that this whole phenomenon was incomprehensible to the parents of these youth and to much of his viewership. It is negatively biased of course; to speak favorably of it might have cost him his job.*

*Features an interview with the* *Grateful Dead, and shows* *Canned Heat* *in a ballroom. At the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic, a guy nods off onto Janeane Garofalo's mom! A Dr. David Smith is interviewed at the clinic who ends up making the most intelligent commentary in the whole production. He says that the* *"kids attracted to the Haight come from some deprivation, intellectual deprivation in their former mode of life... it is a product of the middle class...it's not an anarchist movement. The hippies are not interested in any philosophy, including communism. Many people say this is a communist inspired movement. They're reacting against any structured philosophy... They just wanna live the way they live without structural bindings."*

*Recently the SF Weekly remembered this documentary with the title: "Occupy Haight Street": Harry Reasoner's 1967 The Hippie Temptation".*

tonite.jpg

tonite3.jpg

tonite2.jpg

tonite4.jpg

*TONITE LET'S ALL MAKE LOVE IN LONDON (1967)*

*Film by Peter Whitehead w/ Pink Floyd, Allen Ginsgerg*

http://video.mail.ru/mail/4reks/313/2551.html

*30 minute film*

*Haight Ashbury wasn't the only epicenter of the Hippy movement; the counterculture had a global capital in London as well. Fueled by the cutting edge rock and fashion scene in Britain, London was very hip and happening.*

*This was filmed at an event called "The 14 hour Technicolor Dream" at the Alexandra Palace and the UFO Club. If that sounds like a rave it probably was, as 14 hours was the commonly assumed duration of LSD's effects. The New York Times reports that "Tonite" was a 70 minute film, but no 70 minute version exists on the internet.*

*Peter Whitehead’s* *most famous film is a free-form time capsule of Swinging London in 1967 which combines concert footage of Pink Floyd with “cameos” from a host of pop-culture icons:* *Mick Jagger, Michael Caine, Julie Christie, Lee Marvin, David Hockney, and Allen Ginsberg. Comprises a number of different “movements,” each depicting a different theme underscored by music. An early version of Pink Floyd’s “Interstellar Overdrive”* *plays behind some arty nightclub scenes, while Chris Farlowe’s rendition of the Rolling Stones’ “Out of Time” accompanies a young woman’s description of London nightlife and the vacuousness of her own existence. Sandwiched between are clips of Mick Jagger (discussing revolution), Andrew Loog Oldham (discussing his future) and novelist Edna O’Brien (each discussing sex). The best part is footage of the riot that interrupted the Stones’ 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert.*

*On one level, this rather raw documentary shows Whitehead to be a successor to the Free Cinema movement and a rare British exponent of cinema verité. However, it is just as fair to see him as the avant-garde, non-fiction flipside to Richard Lester. Both used pop-culture to chronicle the initial optimism and subsequent disillusionment of the decade, while at the same time creating the aesthetics of the music video.*

14hr.jpg

14hr2.jpg

14hr3.jpg

*MAN ALIVE: THE 14 HOUR TECHNICOLOR DREAM (1967)*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtCXYMbMKI

*Documentary in 3 parts.*

*Pink Floyd At the UFO Club*

*Mark Boyle's Psychedelic Light Show with Pink Floyd at the UFO Club*

http://wn.com/PSYCHEDELIC_LIGHT_SHOW_UFO_1967_Soft_Machine'>http://wn.com/PSYCHEDELIC_LIGHT_SHOW_UFO_1967_Soft_Machine'>http://wn.com/PSYCHEDELIC_LIGHT_SHOW_UFO_1967_Soft_Machine'>http://wn.com/PSYCHEDELIC_LIGHT_SHOW_UFO_1967_Soft_Machine

*7 minute clip*

*Soft Machine, live at the UFO CLub 1967*

http://wn.com/PSYCHEDELIC_LIGHT_SHOW_UFO_1967_Soft_Machine

*4 minute clip*

*The* *"14 Hour Technicolor Dream"* *was a countercultural concert event at the Alexandra Palace concert hall in London, on 29 April 1967, featuring a number of artists. (It's title had to be a veiled reference to acid.) The fund-raising concert for the International Times was organised by Barry Miles and John "Hoppy" Hopkins and David Howson. It was part-documented by Peter Whitehead in a film called* *Tonite Let's All Make Love in London*.

*At the time, The 14 Hour Technicolor Dream was described as a multi-artist event, featuring poets, artists and musicians.* *Pink Floyd* *headlined the event; other artists included:* *Yoko Ono and John Lennon, Soft Machine, Tomorrow and The Pretty Things.*

*Pink Floyd* *appeared right at the end of the show, just as the sun was beginning to rise at around five o'clock in the morning. Although "underground" venues such as the UFO Club were hosting counter-cultural bands, this was certainly the biggest indoor event at the time. Other performers included* *The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, The Move ,Sam Gopal's Dream* *(featuring Sam Gopal, Mick Hutchinson and Pete Sears).*

*LSD: TRIP TO WHERE? (1968)*

*US Navy*

**http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Yxb2OMm14

*Full short in 3 parts*

*Amazingly sensible for an "anti" film at the time, this was produced by the US Navy, probably for exhibition to it's personnel. A great many of it's target viewers were no doubt already "experienced" in one way or another, and so the Navy avoided the over hysteria and sensationalism of the "Reefer Madness" school. Practical objections are raised, such as a potential arrest record that could hurt you in civilian life, to concerns over whether a man guiding in planes on an aircraft carrier should be impaired. Clearly, LSD and naval flight control are incompatible! Marijuana is given the villain treatment to be sure, but most of the film focuses on acid.*

magical4.jpg

magical.jpg

magical5.jpg

magical3.jpg

I am the walrus...

magical6.jpg

magical2.jpg

*MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (1967)*

*Apple Corp/ BBC Produced, directed and starring McCartney, Lennon, Starr and Harrison.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOKYfgWlzpU

*Full movie*

*I like this idiosyncratic and surreal Beatles music video, which both was influenced by the psychedelic revolution and which in turn influenced that revolution as well. The Beatles were a good 20 years ahead of MTV. This effort was so far ahead of it's time that critics could only judge it by conventional cinematic standards, and they found it wanting. The film was savaged by critics. It is more appreciated with time as a cult film showing the Beatles in their vintage psychedelic phase. I also think the advent of MTV and music videos has better enabled us to appreciate music videos, which is what Magical Mystery Tour is and was a precursor of.*

*After Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Paul McCartney wanted to create a film based upon The Beatles and their music. The film was to be unscripted: various "ordinary" people were to travel on a coach and have unspecified "magical" adventures. The Magical Mystery Tour film was made and included six new Beatles songs.*

*Film sountrack:*

*1 "Magical Mystery Tour"*

*2. "The Fool on the Hill"*

*3. "Flying"*

*4. "Blue Jay Way"*

*5. "Your Mother Should Know"*

*6. "I Am the Walrus"*

head6.jpg

head7.jpg

head.jpg

head2.jpg

head4.jpg

head3.jpg

head8.jpg

head5.jpg

head12.jpg

head9.jpg

Frank Zappa telling Davy Jones that although his dancing is good, that he should work on his music more.

head10.jpg

head11.jpg

head14.jpg

head13.jpg

head15.jpg

*HEAD (1968)*

*Raybert Productions, Produced by Bob Rafelson, written by jack Nicholson, w/ the Monkees.*

**http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9bre0CBh1I&feature=related

*Full movie in 8 parts*

*The Porpoise Song*

*4 minute clip*

*A self satirical and oftentimes surreal film by the Monkees. In this film, they appear acutely aware of their status as fabricated mass market TV icons and seem to enjoy making fun of themselves. This ability to see themselves in perspective, at the height of their fame and popularity, is a very endearing quality:*

*" “Well well well, if it isn’t God’s gift to eight year-olds.”*

*- A sassy waitress, to Davy Jones*

*Their teenybopper TV audience and fans didn't like or get the point of the film. The older hipsters who listened to more cutting edge bands dismissed them out of hand.*

*The "box" that The Monkees keep getting trapped in and attempt to escape from is symbolic of television, as the real Monkees felt trapped in what they considered to be their increasingly silly TV show. They wanted to "escape" the show in order to express themselves with no boundaries to their creativity. The first realization of this freedom was, in fact, the film "Head."*