doctorxx

Who is your favorite movie villain?

73 posts in this topic

Hands down, my fav is Angela Lansbury as *Mrs Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE*. Especially since, as a young person, to me she's Mrs Price from Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Mrs Potts from Beauty and the Beast. Here we see how brilliantly creepy she can be. :D

• Like 1

ugaarte wrote:

<< Mary Nash as Fraulein Rottenmeir in "Heidi" and

again Mary Nash as Ms. Amanda Minchin in "The Little Princess' >>

The *worst* Fraulein Rottenmeir beleive it or not is in the 1982 animated version "Heidi's Song". She looks like a vampire and they made the butler, her creepy sidekick. If they ever brought those 2 to life, that classic would be reclassified as *childrens horror!* Just in case you want to know who is the kinder gentler Fraulein, she is in the 1965 German version played by Margot Trooger.

Far as "The Little Princess" goes, watch the 1995 remake, Eleanor Bron takes the cake. She would make Mary Nash hide under the bed curled up in terror.

Animated Fraulein Rotten-and how-meir

h-heidisong03.jpg

What a great idea for a thread and here's my input:

Alan Arkin------ WAIT UNTIL DARK... to so cruelly stalk poor blind Audrey Hepburn

Peter O'Toole--- sick perverted sadistic monster that he was in as NIGHT OF THE GENERALS

kathy Bates----- ouch Can`t you feel the terror and pain she inflected upon James Caan in MISERY

Robert Mitchum-- sick perverted child abuser in NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

and my piece de resistance----

Sir Richard Attenborough-- an the debased sexually twisted serial killer in 10 RILLINTON PLACE

my gallery of nasties and horrors.

Hi Hamradio ...

You have me sold ... I now definately have to check out Fraulein Rottenmeier in 'Heidi's Song' ...

and Eleanor Bron in 'The Little Princess'.

I'm so much Impressed with animated Evil characters, as the illustrator (especiallly from Walt Disney) can really 'go to town' exaggerating evilness with high cheekbones, highly arched eyebrows and thin, snarling lips, not to mention the usage of facial COLORing .... such as, green, purple and ruby red.

Some evil characters that portray this quality are,

Ursula the Seahag in "The Little Mermaid" . . .

Cruella De Vil in "101 Dalmations" and

Madame Medusa in 'The Rescuers' . . .

and ALL the evil characters possess small eyeballs ...

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> Hi Hamradio ...

>

> You have me sold ... I now definately have to check out Fraulein Rottenmeier in 'Heidi's Song' ...

> and Eleanor Bron in 'The Little Princess'.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I'm so much Impressed with animated Evil characters, as the illustrator (especiallly from Walt Disney) can really 'go to town' exaggerating evilness with high cheekbones, highly arched eyebrows and thin, snarling lips, not to mention the usage of facial COLORing .... such as, green, purple and ruby red.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Some evil characters that portray this quality are,

> Ursula the Seahag in "The Little Mermaid" . . .

> Cruella De Vil in "101 Dalmations" and

> Madame Medusa in 'The Rescuers' . . .

> and ALL the evil characters possess small eyeballs ...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Okay, let's see here ugaarte ol' buddy.

"High cheekbones"...check.

"Highly arched eyebrows"....check.

"Thin snarling lips"......ummm.....WHAT?!

Not on THIS sultry thing HERE ol' buddy...

evilqueencel.jpg

Those babies look pretty darn plump to ME!!!!

(...not to mention, the eyeballs on this hot babe look kind of oversized TOO!!!) ;)

Basil Rathbone as the seducer in "Confession" is scarier than his Sir Guy. That one should be retitled "Portrait of a Stalker."

George Sanders as the Nazi in "Manhunt."

stjohnny, I have to second Alan Arkin in Wait Until Dark. Amazing performance and what a scary villain.

To me the best villain is the kind that is completely and utterly unphased by what the "hero" does to stop them-- makes them creepier. Like Heath Ledger's Joker is awesome because he has no agenda other than to make people go crazy. If you get mad or cry or fight back, he's completely happy. It makes you feel powerless, which is a rare thing in a movie villain.

*Dargo states:*

*Okay, let's see here ugaarte ol' buddy.*

*"High cheekbones"...check.*

*"Highly arched eyebrows"....check.*

*"Thin snarling lips" ......ummm..... *

*WHAT?!*

*Not on THIS sultry thing HERE ol' buddy...*

Dargo, my friend . . . don't you know the 'cunningness' of this type of woman ?

First she shows you the 'Lure' look...

until you open up that 'Pandora' box she holds in her icy, cold hand . . .

"Entrapment" . . . and THEN the small eyeballs and snarling lips come into play !

And what a great thread that was ... the 'Look Alike' thread. I bet everyone had FUN with that one.

And there sure was a strong Resemblence between Gail Patrick and the Evil Queen ... Great Match !

Paul Newman in *The Road to Perdition.* Instead of the arm waving, overly emotional gangster we usually get in the mob movies his crime boss is quietly and methodically evil in his actions. This is premeditated murder by one who knows full well it's wrong and chooses to go that way anyhow. This is more frightening than that usual ethnic stereotype unless it's Michael in *The Godfather* who was both. I guess that makes it a tie.

Basil Rathbone in The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Mark of Zorro. No villain in costume adventures ever had the same combination of swagger, full blooded dialogue delivery and atheticism that Rathbone had,

His utter contempt for the foppish Don Diego (Tyrone Power) in The Mark of Zorro was a sheer joy to behold. Almost as much of a pleasure as when Diego turned the tables on this macho swaggerer and bested him in one of the great film duels.

Chester Morris as Robert Sangster in Three Godfathers. What a nasty man. Too bad he turns into a hero at the end. He does die for it, though.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> William Morgan Clark in the "Babylon 5" series.

If we're talkin' B5, I'd go for Morden, Bester, or Emperor Cartagia, over Clark. We see so little of Clark, and they are portrayed by better actors.

Gabrielle Ferzetti is cleverly disingenous and passive aggressive in The Confession.

HAL 9000 and James Mason in North by Northwest are very impressive. So is Kevin Spacey as John Doe and Keyzer Soze. Ralph Fiennes is appropriately heartless in Schindler's List. And Philip Stone is quite brilliant moving from high-class sycophancy to upper class malice in The Shining in one short scene.

Andrew Robinson was a great villain in the first "Dirty Harry" movie, and Alan Rickman was really terrific in "Die Hard", "Robin Hood, Prince Of Thieves" and "Quigley Down Under". Rickman was so good because his characters were very smart and very evil. If you're going to mention Mitchum in "Cape Fear", then you must also include DeNiro in the remake. He was really nuts in that one. Raymond Burr played many a villain. Remember "Cry In The Night" with Natalie Wood? And don't forget Patty McCormack in "The Bad Seed". You wouldn't want that kid for a playmate!

ValentineXavier wrote:

<< If we're talkin' B5, I'd go for Morden, Bester, or Emperor Cartagia, over Clark. We see so little of Clark, and they are portrayed by better actors. >>

Yes, they were on my mind but Clark was the worst as I'll later explain. First Emperor Cartagia, he was a silly ego manic who thought himself a living god sort of like how some of the anceint Egyptian Pharoahs saw themselves with the fact Cartagia was completely *insane!*

Bestor was a Psi-Corp top cop that was following the orders handed down to him by Clark. He and other telepaths thought themselves better in the evolution of mankind. I am a bit bias because Walter Koenig has too much Star Trek history.

Morden was the 2nd best villian (mostly tied with Clark) but he was a Shadow recruiter, asking everyone What do you want? I loved what Vir told him.

I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike. It will be a lesson to future generations that some things come with too high a price. I will look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. :^0

Wave_like_this.jpg

Even though we saw so little of Clark, its what he did. Have the President assassinated and took charge, feeding off the peoples paranoria of terrorism, illegal immigration, etc. (SOUND FAMILIAR??)

He led the Earth to the "dark side" and was willing to kill all life on it. A planet ruled Hitler! I'm certain the Vorlons had the Earth in the Planet Killer crosshairs after they made an asteroid belt out of Centauri Prime.

Sad to say the United States and the rest of the world is heading down this path brilliantly prophecised in Babylon 5.

*President Clark, the face of pure evil!*

Morgan_Clark.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 17, 2011 11:10 PM

Mostly I agree with what you say, so just a couple of comments -

Cartagia is as you say, but he was clearly modeled on Caligula. I have no problem calling him a villain, even though he was insane.

Bester, I think, is less influenced by Clark than you think. Of course, he is ostensibly ruled by Clark, but he is his own person, with his own aims. He is power-hungry, and will stop at nothing to protect and further his vision of the Psy Corps. Remember the trainees, who casually discuss spacing mundanes? In today's hyperbole, they were a major part of the "Axis of Evil."

I was editing and including the face of evil while you was posting. Yes, I agree with your points. Hard isn't it? It's like trying to say who was the worst villian of the Third Reich.

About the Roman emperor Caligula, I think a good historical accurate movie should be done about this most vile ruler in history. Making it accurate would give the film an NC-17 rating from what I've seen on the History Channel. Strange how so bad a person this sorry lifeform was that so little is said considering how we think Hitler was so evil.