Sign in to follow this  
LonesomePolecat

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #20: In the Background

72 posts in this topic

TCM Programming Challenge #20: In the Background

"Anyone could become obsessed with the past with a background like that!" --Vertigo

Welcome to the 20th Unofficial TCM Programming Challenge!

(NOTE: This is my first time moderating, so I'll be cutting and pasting the rules from the last programming challenge, so thanks to the last moderator, SansFin, and all those who came before, for writing these rules. I'll be adding my own changes of course. Also, that being said, be patient with me, please!)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a week-long schedule as if you were a TCM Programmer yourself. Although this is a contest solely run by us laymen and not by TCM itself, the TCM programmers read these schedules and steal our ideas. It's the best way I know of to request a movie on TCM. So now is your chance to show TCM what YOU want to see!

1. Challenge #20 begins at 12:01am October 1st and closes at 11:59pm Pacific time on Sunday October 30, 2011. (This way we may enjoy a free and easy Halloween!)

2. Select any week between in the calendar year between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012.

• a. Your schedule must begin at exactly 6:00 a.m. Eastern time on Sunday and must conclude at exactly 6:00 am the next Sunday.
  • b. Each day's programming begins at approximately 6:00 a.m. Eastern time. (This is not a strict rule - the real programmer break it themselves all the time)
  • c. Primetime/evening begins at exactly 8:00 p.m. Eastern time every evening.
  • d. Because evening films will have introductions and closing comments, please leave enough time for them in your schedule.
  • e. Feature movies begin at x:00, x:15, x:30, or x:45.
  • f. You do not have to program any shorts or ads for gaps of time less than 15 minutes in your schedule. You may if you want to and have access to this material.

3. The tradition of the programming challenge is to come up with a theme. The theme of Challenge #20 is "In the Background". This challenge has two parts (note: these two parts do not have to be scheduled consecutively: you can, for example schedule challenge 1 on Wednesday morning and challenge 2 on Friday afternoon).

a. CHALLENGE #1: YOUR BACKGROUND

"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you…" --The King and I

We're all friends here, so we want to know more about each other. So for the first challenge, we want you to schedule at least THREE films in a row that tell us more about you.

The point is, at any time in your schedule (Sunday morning, Friday night, Wednesday afternoon, or any old time), you must schedule at least THREE films in a row (minimum three, maximum enough to fill an entire morning and afternoon or an entire nighttime schedule) that tell us something about yourself, your family, your ancestors, your proud achievements, your hobbies, your dream job, your religion, what your home life is like, or anything else. If you think your life is dull, it's not dull to us.

Just to get your minds going, here are some types of films I might include about myself:

• I'm British, French, Italian, Dutch, Welsh, and many other countries, so I might schedule movies that take place in these countries (like Il Postino for Italy, Lili for France, The Englishman that Went Up the Hill… for Wales, etc)
  • I live here in LA, so I could schedule films that take place here like Anchors Aweigh
  • I could schedule some films about some of my famous ancestors like Richard Henry Lee, William Bradford, or Giles Corey (like 1776, Plymouth Adventure, or The Crucible)
  • I love musical theater and spend most of my time working in it in background capacities, so some backstage musicals would certainly show you a lot about me (especially The Band Wagon and 42nd Street that are more about the backstage workers than the stars of the show)
  • Dad's an inner city teacher, so I could show To Sir With Love, and my sister is an artist, so I could show An American in Paris
  • I do a lot of singing with my family, so The Sound of Music would be appropriate
  • I could schedule movies with blind characters (like The Miracle Worker or, for comedy's sake, Murder By Death) because I was born with cataracts and am legally blind
  • That Darn Cat and The Cat From Outer Space would fit the fact that I own cats
  • If I felt like my life was too dull, well, I've always wanted to go to New England in the fall to see the leaves, so I could show movies like Trouble With Harry or Those Calloways that feature autumn leaves
  • Or, what the hey, I have brown hair, so I might schedule a night of brunette beauties like myself!

You get the idea. The possibilities here are endless, so be creative. Remember you can take a whole day if you want to, and can even schedule multiple schedules if you want.

But wait--there's more!

b. CHALLENGE #2: CELEBRATING BACKGROUND ARTISTS

{font:Helvetica}
"
Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture; they think the actors make it up as they go along." --Sunset Blvd
{font}
As a Stage Manager, Choreographer and Costumer, I know actors get all the attention. We have stars of the month and summer under the stars and we celebrate stars' birthdays. Then we do have the occasional celebration of directors, who also get a lot of attention. So let's celebrate those technicians and artists that never get any attention.

So here's the deal: at any time in your schedule (Sunday morning, Friday night, Wednesday afternoon, or any old time), you must schedule at least THREE films in a row that feature and celebrate a background artist or technician. (Minimum: three films, maximum: a whole morning and afternoon). This could be any kind of filmmaker that is not an actor or a director: editor, writer, director of photography, choreographer, musician, a key grip, a 2nd unit director, or anyone else you want!

NOTE: You can use a director or actor ONLY if you celebrate their behind-the-scenes filmmaking. You can include something they directed as well as worked on in another capacity. For example, Billy Wilder's screenplays are some of the best. and though he is a director, I could feature him as a screenwriter. Therefore I would schedule films he wrote screenplays for but didn't direct, like Midnight, Ball of Fire, and Ninotchka. But then I'd throw in The Apartment because he wrote it so well. That's okay because the schedule indicates that we're celebrating his screenwriting.

(WHERE TO START: If you don't know any background artists, now is your time to appreciate the many hard workers that make a film a classic. Just as a tip, go to www.imdb.com, look up a film you love and click on "full cast and crew". Pick one of them, click on their name, and you'll discover how many of your favorites were made by the same hands!)

c. OPTIONAL CHALLENGE #3: CLASSIC TV

For this challenge, as an option and not a requirement, you are allowed to schedule up to a total of 2 hours of CLASSIC TV. This was inspired by TCM showing Sinatra concerts and the odd Dick Cavett Show episode. It was also inspired by watching the recent documentary on James Dean and wishing I could see all his amazing television appearances. Why not schedule those? Well now you can!

What is classic TV? It could be a TV movie, a TV special, or regular episodes of a TV show. How old does it have to be for it to be a classic? Well, that's up to you, but nothing too recent, please, unless it's a recent documentary or interview that completely fits in with a lineup of classic films. Luckily for you, in this particular challenge, any classic TV, as long as it's classic, from any studio is allowed. This means you may schedule:

• no more than one classic TV movie no longer than 2 hours (like Mary Martin's Peter Pan),
  • up to two episodes of a classic 1 hour series like I Spy (about 45-50min without commercials)
  • up to four episodes of a 1/2 hour series like The Mary Tyler Moore Show (about 25min without commercials)
  • up to 2 hours of TV Specials, (i.e. four "making-of" featurettes that last 1/2 hour each, two 1-hour specials like The Fabulous Miss Piggy Show, or one single 2-hour special like a full length opera, for instance)
  • up to 2 hours of a TV documentary (i.e. the episode of American Masters about Carol Burnett, an A&E Biography on Clark Gable, or one episode of Ken Burns' Jazz)

The requirements of this option are:

1. It must be classic (use your judgment), or, to think of it another way, it must belong on TCM
  2. It must FIT IN with part of your schedule. You can't just throw in your favorite episodes of MASH for no reason. Schedule it like it's another movie.
Here are some ideas of what you could do with these, but, of course, use your own creativity:

• If Buster Keaton was your SOTM (which he is on TCM in October), you could include his classic TV appearances on The Twilight Zone and Candid Camera (which are great)
  • Instead of showing "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" for TCM Underground, you could show the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version (which is far more entertaining IMHO)
  • For the 2nd Challenge, you could include the TV musical Evening Primrose in celebration of Stephen Sondheim
  • In a birthday tribute to Suzanne Pleshette you would have to schedule her best of The Bob Newhart Show
  • The classic Upstairs Downstairs episode in which the King comes to dinner could fit in with other films about special dinner guests like The Man Who Came to Dinner and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

(NOTE: These do NOT have to be scheduled together. They may be scattered all over your schedule to fit your schedules needs.)

4. Premieres: you may use up to 12 films which have never been shown on TCM. They may come from any studio, country, or year. Please mark each one in your schedule as "Premiere"

5. Star of the Month: A minimum of four movies in a block on one evening will showcase your Star of the Month. (These are always on a weeknight.) The star must have a body of work large enough to allow similar blocks the other weeks in the month. (So, James Dean is out.) I recommend using someone who hasn't been used before, or at least in a long time. A list of previous Stars of the Month may be found at:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=8482599?

We appreciate the great lzcutter for creating and maintaining this list.

6. Include the regular weekly TCM features:

• a. Silent Sunday Nights is a silent movie which begins at approximately 12:00 a.m.(ET) Monday.
  • b. TCM Imports is a foreign film which begins at approximately 2:00 a,m, Monday (ET) following the silent film.
  • c. TCM Underground is a little-known or cult film which begins at approximately 2:00 a.m. (ET) Saturday.
  • d. The Essentials is an indispensable classic movie which begins at exactly 8:00 p.m. (ET) Saturday.
  • e. The films you choose for Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports, and TCM Underground do not count against the total of 12 premieres you may use. Please mark these films as Exempt or E in your schedules.

7. Movies which have previously been shown on TCM are always allowed, even if they are from an outside studio. If you are not sure if a film has been shown, go to the search bar on the TCM homepage, select the "Site" button, and enter the movie title into the search bar. These methods will never produce a false positive. However, it is possible that some movies which have actually been shown have no accompanying notes or articles, so there may be false negatives.

Movies from the original Turner library are always allowed:

Warner Bros (pre-1948 only):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026840/

MGM (pre-1986):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0020206/

RKO (all):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0041421/

You will find these databases useful for finding movies from other studios. Some have been shown before, and some will count against your 12 premieres:

Columbia Pictures (all)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0071509/

United Artists (after 1950):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026841/

Samuel Goldwyn (all):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0016710/

J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0027356/

20th Century Fox:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000756/

Paramount Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0023400/

Universal Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005073/

British Gaumont Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103050/

Warner Brothers movies from 1948 and afterward and MGM movies from 1986 and afterward are also allowable as premieres if they have not been shown before.

Live action Disney movies are allowed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live_action_films

(To answer your question now, yes, for this challenge, you may include Mary Poppins as one of your premieres.)

Disney-created animated movies are never allowed, because Disney will not grant the rights for another network to show them. Animated movies created by other studios, but whose rights were later acquired by Disney, are allowed.

EXCEPTION FOR THIS CHALLENGE: Foreign films from ANY studio are allowed to be scheduled for TCM Imports. (Remember, they don't count toward your 12 premieres). Take advantage and schedule one you've always wanted them to show.

8. If you like, you may use a 30-minute Now Playing as part of your schedule. You may also use any existing Private Screening or similar TCM-created film. For this challenge, as an option, you may also invent a 55 minute Private Screenings you would like to see. My only rule is that it MUST be someone who really could be interviewed (someone who is alive--no zombies), which includes any living actor, director, background artist, or even any Muppets you love. (After all, Kermit was a guest programmer).

9. For each film, please show the time, title, year, running time, actor(s), director(s), and studio. If the film is not from a database which is automatically allowed, please indicate either p/s for previously shown or "Premiere" if it is a premiere. For example:

7:00pm A New Leaf (1971) Elaine May & Walter Matthau, dir Elaine May, Paramount, 102min PREMIERE

----OR------

5:45am The Band Wagon (1953) Fred Astaire & Cyd Charisse, dir Vincente Minnelli, MGM, 112min (p/s)

10. Include your programming notes as a SEPARATE POST following the schedule entry. We enjoy hearing why you selected particular themes or films, but we also like to be able to read your schedule as a whole.

11. Hints: Birthday tributes to actors, directors, and other cinematic creators are a staple of TCM schedules. Anniversaries of historical or cinematic importance are always welcome. Wikipedia is a great source for this-- simply put in the date (such as March 6) into the search box and you'll get a complete list of what happened on that day in history, including births and other significant events.

12. For technical reasons, please, no emoticons or triple exclamation points. They sometimes create problems with the website.

13. After the contest closes at midnight Pacific time on October 30 (the minute Halloween begins), the moderator (yours truly) will compile all the schedules into a voting thread and there will be a week of voting for the winner.

14. Go forth and schedule, my fellow constituents.

That's your mission. Good luck, agents. This message will self-destruct in ten, nine, eight……..

"So for the first challenge, we want you to schedule at least THREE films in a row that tell us more about you." "...your dream job, your religion, what your home life is like, or anything else."

Gee, if only I had been born in a manger, this would be so easy. But since I wasn't, this will be tough for me. But I will try.

Wow! You did come up with something devilish! That's far more off the wall than most, but it shouldn't be any more difficult.

One nit -- SansFin's wasn't the last one. You get the "privilege" of hosting this one because you won #19; her's was #18.

This should be verrrry interesting . . .

*"Sorry for not giving the correct credit where credit was due..."* - LP

We know it was an honest mistake. But I do want to give a "shout out" to the moderator of Challenge #19 - our friend 'kingrat'.

I won't be joining in on this edition but "Good Luck" with the moderating and to all those that do participate.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks, Kyle! This sounds like a great challenge. Just when I thought I couldn't participate, because I'll be away from a computer the last couple of weeks in October, a few ideas start drifting in, and . . . .

I wish to thank you for setting a very interesting challenge.

I like very much that a requirement is a person behind the scenes. I think it is important to give recognition to the people who are not in front of the camera. I had been thinking of scheduling a tribute to one so that is a freebie. It is sad to say I know little about old television shows so I will have to pass on that option.

I am already to the point where I have my themes set and lists of more movies than I need to fill each theme except for two nights. To finish all those is only fiddling them around to fit and that does not take very much time.

The two nights remaining are complete stoppers. One is a birthday tribute to a person who has only an odd and incidental connection with movies. I have found only one full movie and one short that can apply to his life's work. This leaves me with a four hundred and ninety-five minute slot to fill. The problem is that there are few movies made about ethnologists. I may have to abandon it despite how cute it is but I am empty of ideas for a theme to take its place.

It is very much worse for the other night. The requirement to show movies that tell about ourselves may be impossible for me because there is no aspect of my life or existence that is interesting enough that someone made a movie about it. I do not know of any movie about a family that lives simply and tries very hard to not attract attention to themselves. The only possibility is that there is a television show a tiny bit similar to a thing I have experienced but it is less than twenty years old and I could only fill two hours that way.

Would it be acceptable if I used myself as a guest programmer and picked movies that fit my taste?

Yes, by all means, use yourself as a guest programmer. That's our common dream, isn't it? Why not live the dream in text? I just hope you'll include the potentially amazing interview between you and RO.

> It is very much worse for the other night. The requirement to show movies that tell about ourselves may be impossible for me because there is no aspect of my life or existence that is interesting enough that someone made a movie about it.

Problem: poster's life is boring and nothing ever happens

Solution: Find all of Fred Dobbs' "25 minutes into {insert title here} and nothing has happened" threads, and play the first 25 minutes of each of those movies. They all fit into 30-minute time slots, leaving enough time for Robert Osborne's introductions.

Problem solved. ;-)

> I do not know of any movie about a family that lives simply and tries very hard to not attract attention to themselves

*The Diary of Anne Frank*, for one.

*Our Mother's House* for another.

Heck, even the Jarretts are trying not to draw attention to themselves in *White Heat*.

Of course, those families have good reasons for not wanting to draw attention to themselves and probably don't resemble SansFin's family in any way....

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> Find all of Fred Dobbs' "25 minutes into {insert title here} and nothing has happened" threads, and play the first 25 minutes of each of those movies. They all fit into 30-minute time slots, leaving enough time for Robert Osborne's introductions.

That is a very wonderful and creative solution!

SansFin's Challenge Entry

March 18 to March 24, 2012

Celebrating the World's Great Film Festivals

18 Sunday: *The Con Film Festival*

6:00 AM *Trouble In Paradise* (1932) Herbert Marshall, Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. Paramount, 82 mins., P/S

7:30 AM *A Lady Of Chance* (1928) Norma Shearer, Lowell Sherman, Gwen Lee. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. MGM, 78 mins.

9:00 AM *New Adventures of Get Rich Quick Wallingford* (1931) William Haines, Jimmy Durante, Leila Hyams. Dir: Sam Wood. MGM, 95 mins.

10:45 AM *Bedtime Story* (1964) Marlon Brando, David Niven, Shirley Jones. Dir: Ralph Levy. Universal, 99 mins., P/S

12:30 PM *The Lady Eve* (1941) Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Charles Coburn. Dir: Preston Sturges. Paramount, 94 mins., P/S

2:15 PM *The Last of Mrs. Cheyney* (1929) Norma Shearer, Basil Rathbone, Hedda Hopper. Dir:Sidney Franklin. MGM, 94 mins.

4:00 PM *The Last Of Mrs. Cheyney* (1937) Joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery, William Powell. Dir: Richard Boleslawski. MGM, 98 mins.

5:45 PM *The Sting* (1973) Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Robert Shaw. Dir: George Roy Hill. Universal, 129 mins., P/S

*Myself*

My first crush on an American actor.

8:00 PM *The Thomas Crown Affair* (1968) Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Paul Burke. Dir: Norman Jewison. UA, 102 mins., P/S

The first movie my fiance and I saw together.

9:45 PM *How to Steal a Million* (1966) Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, Eli Wallach. Dir: William Wyler. WWP, 127 mins. Premiere

Silent Sunday Night

The first movie from which I wanted something

12:00 AM *Tretya meshchanskaya* (1927) Nikolai Batalov, Lyudmila Semyonova, Leonid Yurenyov. Dir: Abram Room. Sovkino, 95 mins., Exempt

TCM Import

The last movie my mother and I watched together.

1:45 AM *Tsirk sgorel, i klouny razbezhalis* (1998) Nikolai Karachentsov, Tanya Yu, Zinaida Sharko. Dir: Vladimir Bortko. Lenfilm Studio, 114 mins., Exempt

The first DVD I was given.

3:45 AM *All That Jazz* (1979) Roy Scheider, Ann Reinking, Ben Vereen. Dir: Bob Fosse.Fox, 123 mins., Premiere

19 Monday: *Irving Berlin's Film Festival*

6:00 AM *There's No Business Like Show Business* (1954) Ethel Merman, Donald O'Connor, Marilyn Monroe. Dir: Walter Lang. Fox, 117 mins., Premiere

8:00 AM *White Christmas* (1954) Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney. Dir: Michael Curtiz. Paramount, 120 mins., P/S

10:00 AM *Holiday Inn* (1942) Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds. Dir: Mark Sandrich. Paramount, 101 mins., P/S

11:45 AM *Easter Parade* (1948) Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Ann Miller. Dir: Charles Walters. MGM, 107 mins.

1:45 PM *This Is the Army* (1943) George Murphy, Joan Leslie, Ronald Reagan. Dir: Michael Curtiz. WB, 125 mins.

4:00 PM *Annie Get Your Gun* (1950) Betty Hutton, Howard Keel, Edward Arnold. Dir: George Sidney. MGM, 107 mins.

6:00 PM *Alexander's Ragtime Band* (1938) Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Don Ameche. Dir: Henry King. Fox, 106mins., Premiere

*Do Not Quit Your Day Job*

Shelock Holmes Sings!

8:00 PM *The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes* (1939) Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Ida Lupino. Dir: Fred L. Werker. Fox, 85 mins., P/S

Dr. Watson Sings!

9:30 PM *Pursuit to Algiers* (1945) Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Marjorie Riordan. Dir: Roy William Neill. Universal, 65 mins., P/S

A spy moonlights as a ventriloquist.

10:45 AM *Mr. Moto's Last Warning* (1939) Peter Lorre, Ricardo Cortez, Virginia Field. Dir: Norman Foster. Fox, 71 mins., Premiere

Fighter pilots sing!

12:00 AM *The Dawn Patrol* (1938) Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, David Niven. Dir: Edmund Goulding. WB, 103 mins.

A General sings a love song!

1:45 AM *Call Me Madam* (1953) Ethel Merman, Vera-Ellen, Donald O'Connor. Dir: Walter Lang. Fox, 114 mins., P/S

A gold-digger sings the Blues.

3:45 AM *Midnight* (1939) Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, John Barrymore. Dir: Mitchell Leisen. Paramount, 94 mins., P/S

5:30 AM Now Playing - March, 2012. 30 mins.

20 Tuesday: *NYC's Trifecta Festival*

6:00 AM *The Rocking Horse Winner* (1949) Valerie Hobson, John Howard Davies, John Mills. Dir: Anthony Pelissier. Two Cities, 92 mins., P/S

7:45 AM *Don't Bet On Blondes* (1935) Warren William, Claire Dodd, Errol Flynn. Dir: Robert Florey. WB, 59 mins.

8:45 AM *The Story Of Seabiscuit* (1949) Shirley Temple, Barry Fitzgerald, Lon McCallister. Dir: David Butler. WBP, 98 mins., P/S

10:30 AM *Stablemates* (1938) Wallace Beery, Mickey Rooney, Margaret Hamilton. Dir: Sam Wood. MGM, 90 mins.

12:00 PM *My Brother Talks To Horses* (1946) Butch Jenkins, Peter Lawford, Charlie Ruggles. Dir: Fred Zinnemann. MGM, 92 mins.

1:45 PM *Three Men On A Horse* (1936) Frank McHugh, Sam Levene, Joan Blondell. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. WB, 86 mins.

3:15 PM *Harrigan's Kid* (1943) Bobby Readick, Frank Craven, William Gargan. Dir: Charles F. Reisner. MGM, 80 mins.

4:45 PM *Sporting Blood* (1931) Clark Gable, Ernest Torrence, Madge Evans. Dir: Charles Brabin. MGM, 82 mins.

6:15 PM *Broadway Bill* (1934) Warner Baxter, Myrna Loy, Helen Vinson. Dir: Frank Capra. Columbia, 104 mins., P/S

*Star of the Month: Steve McQueen*

8:00 PM *The War Lover* (1962) Steve McQueen, Robert Wagner, Shirley Anne Field. Dir: Philip Leacock.Columbia, 105 mins., Premiere

9:45 PM *Papillon* (1973) Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, Anthony Zerbe. Dir: Franklin J. Schaffner. Columbia, 151 mins., P/S

12:30 AM *Love With The Proper Stranger* (1964) Steve McQueen, Natalie Wood, Tom Bosley. Dir: Robert Mulligan. Paramount, 100 mins., P/S

2:15 AM *The Reivers* (1969) Steve McQueen, Rupert Crosse, Mitch Vogel. Dir: Mark Rydell. Duo, 111 mins., P/S

4:15 AM *Junior Bonner* (1972) Steve McQueen, Robert Preston, Ida Lupino. Dir: Sam Peckinpah. Solar, 100 mins., P/S

21 Wednesday: *Films In Moscow Festival*

6:00 AM *Song Of Russia* (1943) Robert Taylor, Susan Peters, John Hodiak. Dir: Gregory Ratoff. MGM, 107 mins.

8:00 AM *Mission To Moscow* (1943) Walter Huston, Ann Harding, Eleanor Parker. Dir: Michael Curtiz. WB, 123 mins.

10:15 AM *Scarlet Dawn* (1932) Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Nancy Carroll, Earle Foxe. Dir: William Dieterle. WB, 57 mins.

11:15 AM *Ninotchka* (1939) Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Ina Claire. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. MGM, 110 mins.

1:15 PM *Comrade X* (1940) Clark Gable, Hedy Lamarr, Felix Bressart. Dir: King Vidor. MGM, 87 mins.

2:45 PM *Tovarich* (1937) Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Basil Rathbone. Dir: Anatole Litvak. WB, 92 mins.

4:30 PM *War and Peace* (1956) Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda, Mel Ferrer. Dir: King Vidor. Paramount, 208 mins., P/S

*You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.* - The Princess Bride.

8:00 PM *The Gay Bride* (1934) Carole Lombard, Chester Morris, ZaSu Pitts. Dir: Jack Conway. MGM, 80 mins.

9:30 PM *The Gay Desperado* (1936) Ida Lupino, Nino Martini, Leo Carillo. Dir: Rouben Mamoulian. UA, 87 mins., P/S

11:00 PM *The Gay Divorcee* (1934) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton. Dir: Mark Sandrich. RKO, 105 mins.

12:45 AM *In Gay Madrid* (1930) Ramon Novarro, Dorothy Jordan, Lottice Howell. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. MGM, 82 mins.

2:15 AM *The Gay Deceiver* (1926) Lew Cody, Malcolm McGregor, Marceline Day. Dir: John M. Stahl. MGM, 70 mins.

3:30 AM *The Gay Old Bird* (1927) Louise Fazenda, John T. Murray, Jane Winton. Dir: Herman C. Raymaker. WB, 70 mins.

4:45 AM *The Gay Diplomat* (1931) Ivan Lebedeff, Betty Compson, Genevieve Tobin. Dir: Richard Boleslawski. RKO, 66 mins.

22 Thursday: *Dance in the Sun Film Festival*

6:00 AM *Sumurun* (1920) Ernst Lubitsch, Pola Negri, Paul Wegener. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. PAGU, 115 mins., Premiere

8:00 AM *Harem Girl* (1952) Joan Davis, Peggie Castle, Arthur Blake. Dir: Edward Bernds. Columbia, 71 mins., P/S

9:15 AM *Solomon And Sheba* (1959) Yul Brynner, Gina Lollobrigida, George Sanders. Dir: King Vidor. UA, 141 mins., P/S

11:45 AM *Arabian Nights* (1942) Sabu, Jon Hall, Maria Montez. Dir: John Rawlins. Universal, 86 mins., P/S

1:15 PM *Bitter Victory* (1958) Richard Burton, Curt Jurgens, Ruth Roman. Dir: Nicholas Ray. Columbia, 102 mins., P/S

3:00 PM *Piccadilly* (1929) Gilda Gray, Jameson Thomas, Anna May Wong. Dir: E.A. Dupont. BIP, 109 mins., P/S

5:00 PM *Tanned Legs* (1929) June Clyde, Arthur Lake, Sally Blane. Dir: Marshall Neilan. RKO, 66 mins.

6:15 PM *After The Fox* (1966) Peter Sellers, Victor Mature, Britt Ekland. Dir: Vittorio De Sica. CCM, 103 mins., P/S

*Hubert de Givenchy* Costume Designer par excellence

8:00 PM *Sabrina* (1954) Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, William Holden. Dir: Billy Wilder. Paramount, 112 mins., P/S

10:00 PM *Funny Face* (1957) Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn, Kay Thompson. Dir: Stanley Donen. Paramount, 103 mins., P/S

11:45 PM *Charade* (1963) Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau. Dir: Stanley Donen. JAR, 113 mins., P/S

1:45 AM *Paris When It Sizzles* (1964) Audrey Hepburn, William Holden, Noel Coward. Dir: Richard Quine. Quine, 110 mins., P/S

3:45 AM *Love In The Afternoon* (1957) Gary Cooper, Audrey Hepburn, Maurice Chevalier. Dir: Billy Wilder. Allied, 130 mins., P/S

23 Friday: *The Merchant of Venice Film Festival*

6:00 AM *Counsellor at Law* (1933) John Barrymore, Bebe Daniels, Melvyn Douglas. Dir: William Wyler. Universal, 82 mins., P/S

7:30 AM *The People Against O'Hara* (1951) Spencer Tracy, Diana Lynn, Pat O'Brien. Dir: John Sturges. MGM, 102 mins.

9:15 AM *The Devil and Daniel Webster* (1941) Walter Huston, Edward Arnold, John Craig. Dir: William Dieterle. Dieterle, 112 mins., P/S

11:15 AM *The Fortune Cookie* (1966) Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Cliff Osmond. Dir: Billy Wilder. UA, 126 mins., P/S

1:30 PM *To Kill A Mockingbird* (1962) Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, Philip Alford. Dir: Robert Mulligan. Brentwood, 129 mins., P/S

3:45 PM *Inherit The Wind* (1960) Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, Gene Kelly. Dir: Stanley Kramer. UA, 128 mins., P/S

6:00 PM *Witness For The Prosecution* (1957) Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich. Dir: Billy Wilder. UA, 116 mins., P/S

*Werner Von Braun's Birthday*

8:00 PM *The Right Stuff* (1983) Sam Shepard, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris. Dir: Philip Kaufman. Ladd, 193 mins., P/S

11:15 PM *2001: A Space Odyssey* (1968) Keir Dullea, William Sylvester, Gary Lockwood. Dir: Stanley Kubrick. MGM, 149 mins., P/S

1:45 AM *A Trip to the Moon* (1902) Georges Melies, Henri Delannoy, Bleuette Bernon. Dir: Georges Melies. Star Film, 14 mins., P/S

*TCM Underground*

2:00 AM *12 to the Moon* (1960) Ken Clark, Michi Kobi, Tom Conway. Dir: David Bradley. Columbia, 74 mins., Exempt

3:15 AM *Have Rocket, Will Travel* (1959) The Three Stooges, Jerome Cowan, Robert Colbert. Dir: David Lowell Rich. Columbia, 76 mins., P/S

4:45 AM *The Lost Missile* (1958) Robert Loggia, Ellen Parker, Phillip Pine. Dir: William Berke. UA, 70 mins., P/S

24 Saturday: *Ann Arbor Festival of Experiments*

6:00 AM *Frankenstein* (1931) Colin Clive, Mae Clarke, Boris Karloff. Dir: James Whale. Universal, 70 mins., P/S

7:15 AM *Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde* (1932) Fredric March, Miriam Hopkins, Rose Hobart. Dir: Rouben Mamoulian. MGM, 96 mins.

9:00 AM *Donovan's Brain* (1953) Lew Ayres, Gene Evans, Nancy Davis. Dir: Felix E. Feist. UA, 83 mins., P/S

10:30 AM *Doctor X* (1932) Lee Tracy, Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray. Dir: Michael Curtiz. First National, 76 mins., P/S

12:00 PM *The Return Of Doctor X* (1939) Humphrey Bogart, Rosemary Lane, Dennis Morgan. Dir: Vincent Sherman. WB, 63 mins.

1:15 PM *The Man They Could Not Hang* (1939) Boris Karloff, Lorna Gray, Robert Wilcox. Dir: Nick Grinde. Columbia, 70 mins., P/S

2:30 PM *The Invisible Ray* (1936) Bela Lugosi, Frances Drake, Frank Lawton. Dir: Lambert Hillyer. Universal, 79 mins., P/S

4:00 PM *The Invisible Man* (1933) Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan. Dir: James Whale. Universal, 72 mins., P/S

5:15 PM *The Invisible Boy* (1957) Richard Eyer, Philip Abbott, Harold J. Stone. Dir: Herman Hoffman. MGM, 90 mins.

6:45 PM *The Invisible Woman* (1940) Virginia Bruce, John Barrymore, Charles Ruggles. Dir: A. Edward Sutherland, Universal, 72 mins., Premiere

*TCM Essential*

8:00 PM *Laura* (1944) Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb. Dir: Otto Preminger. Fox, 87 mins., Premiere

Dana Andrews continues the night.

9:30 PM *Where the Sidewalk Ends* (1950) Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Bert Freed. Dir: Otto Preminger. Fox, 95 mins., P/S

11:15 PM *I Want You* (1951) Dana Andrews, Dorothy McGuire, Farley Granger. Dir: Mark Robson. RKO, 102 mins.

1:00 AM *While The City Sleeps* (1956) Dana Andrews, Ida Lupino, Vincent Price. Dir: Fritz Lang. RKO, 100 mins.

2:45 AM *Up In Arms* (1944) Dana Andrews, Danny Kaye, Dinah Shore. Dir: Elliott Nugent. RKO, 105 mins.

4:30 AM *Beyond A Reasonable Doubt* (1956) Dana Andrews, Joan Fontaine, Sidney Blackmer. Dir: Fritz Lang. RKO, 80 mins.

Premieres:

There's No Business Like Show Business

Alexander's Ragtime Band

Sumurun

The Invisible Woman

How to Steal a Million

Laura

Mr. Moto's Last Warning

All That Jazz

The War Lover

SansFin's Challenge Entry Programming Notes.

March 18 to March 24, 2012

TCM has been paying tribute to film festivals around the world. I wondered what it would be like for people who do not properly hear the names or who misunderstand what is being said. The great variance from my original thoughts was that Friday was first to be The Venus Film Festival. The sci-fi and horror movies fitting for Saturday's The Ann Arbor Experiments Festival would have overloaded the schedule with those genres if I had not changed Friday to be of lawyers. I first wished to make it a day of surgeons performing miraculous surgeries. I did not do that as it may have been too esoteric and I had no way of searching for movies depicting bloodless amputations.

I did have a choice of the Toronto, Moscow, Tokyo or Telluride festivals. After picking movies for those names and moving them around I found Moscow the only one in which everything fit nicely with all good movies and not having to settle for a so-so film only because it would fit.

I wished to have a tribute on Monday, March 19th to Sir Richard Burton. He was a 19th Century author, ethnologist, and explorer. His only link to movies was to have another person with the same name become a star in the 20th Century. It is sad to say I could not find enough movies related to his deeds.

It was not easy to chose movies reflecting myself in any meaningful way. It is only very recently that movies have been made which portray my country in other than paeans or set during the Great Patriotic War. I worked in drab little offices most of my life and there are few movies about people like that. I had to chose movies that were at meaningful points in my life.

My first crush on an American actor was Steve McQueen in *The Thomas Crown Affair* (1968). The first movie Capuchin and I saw together was *How to Steal a Million* (1966).

I am told that when I was very little I saw a rug in the market which I wanted very much because it belonged to 'the beautiful woman'. I was so very young I did not know how to explain I had seen it in a movie. It was much later that my uncle recognized it as like one in *Tretya meshchanskaya* (1927).

The last movie my mother and I watched together was *Tsirk sgorel, i klouny razbezhalis* (1998). It is a very deep and moving film about shallow people.

The very first DVD I was ever given is *All That Jazz* (1979).

My tribute to a person in the background could have been Irving Berlin. That would have been like cheating because it was not done to meet the Challenge requirement. I wished to make one for Givenchy because the clothes are so beautiful. It also let me schedule many of my favorite Audrey Hepburn movies.

I believe all the themes and the movies I choose need no explanation. Some of it is silly. I think they are all good movies.

This is the first Challenge I have entered where I did not have to settle for a second-choice movie to fill a time slot because a first-choice movie did not fit.

I thank you very much for setting an excellent Challenge!

Premieres:

There's No Business Like Show Business

Alexander's Ragtime Band

Sumurun

The Invisible Woman

How to Steal a Million

Laura

Mr. Moto's Last Warning

All That Jazz

The War Lover

Great entry, SansFin! I think I like best the "Merchant of Venice" - great choice to put "Fortune Cookie" in there for a somewhat lighter repite from some very serious, dramatic films around it!

I'm working on my entry - I'll have it later today or tomorrow - I just have to finish up Sunday, and I'm all set!

Well, I got it finished today after all! Here's my entry for the contest:

Sunday, February 12th

Behind the scenes - celebrating some of the greatest film composers of all time

6:00 AM The Fly (1986) Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis. Dir: David Cronenberg. Brooksfilms Color-96 min. P/S

8:00 AM Viva Zapata! (1952) Marlon Brando, Jean Peters. Dir: Elia Kazan. 20th Century Fox BW-113 min. P/S

10:00 AM Alice in Wonderland (1933) Richard Arlen, Roscoe Yates. Dir: Norman McLeod. Paramount BW-76 min. P/S

11:30 AM Saturday's Hero (1951) John Derek, Donna Reed. Dir: David Miller. Columbia BW-111 min. P/S

1:30 PM The Lady in Red (1979) Pamela Sue Martin, . Dir: Lewis Teague. New World Pictures Color-93 min. Premiere

3:30 PM Jane Eyre (1943) Orson Welles, Joan Fontaine. Dir: Robert Stevenson. 20th Century Fox BW-97 min. P/S

5:30 PM Gidget (1959) Sandra Dee, James Darren. Dir: Paul Wendkos. Columbia Color-95 min. P/S

7:30 PM John Williams: Creating a Musicial Tradition (2007) John Williams. Dir: Greg Carson. MGM Color-20 min. P/S

8:00 PM King Rat (1965) George Segal, Tom Courtenay. Dir: Bryan Forbes. Columbia BW-134 min. P/S

10:30 PM Flaming Star (1960) Elvis Presley, Barbara Eden. Dir: Don Siegel. 20th Century Fox Color-101 min. P/S

12:30 AM A Fistful of Dollars (1964) Clint Eastwood, Marianne Koch. Dir: Sergio Leone. United Artists Color-99 min. P/S

Silent Sunday Night

12:30 AM The Bondman (1916) William Farnum, L.O. Hart. Dir: Edgar Lewis. Fox Film Corporation BW-40 min. Exempt

1:15 AM Side Street (1929) Tom Moore, Owen Moore. Dir: Malcolm St. Clair. RKO BW-74 min. Exempt

TCM Imports

2:30 AM The Czar Wants to Sleep (1934) Mikhail Yanshin, Nina Shaternikova. Dir: Alexander Faintsimmer. Belgoskino BW-87 min. Exempt

4:00 AM Alexander Nevsky (1938) Nikolai Cherkasov, Nikolai Okhlopkov. Dir: Sergei Eisenstein. Mosfilm BW-112 min. P/S

Monday, February 13th

Oliver Reed Birthday Tribute

6:00 AM The Angry Silence (1960) Richard Attenborough, Pier Angeli. Dir: Guy Green. British Lion Film Corp. BW-95 min. P/S

7:45 AM Hannibal Brooks (1969) Oliver Reed, John Alderton. Dir: Michael Winner. United Artists Color-102 min. P/S

9:30 AM Royal Flash (1975) Malcolm McDowell, Alan Bates. Dir: Richard Lester. 20th Century Fox Color-102 min. P/S

11:15 AM Oliver! (1968) Mark Lester, Ron Moody. Dir: Carol Reed. Romulus Films Color-153 min. P/S

Acknowledging today in history - Chuck Yeager's flight breaking the sound barrier

2:00 PM The Sound Barrier (1952) Ralph Richardson, Ann Todd. Dir: David Lean. British Lion Film Corp. BW-118 min. P/S

4:00 PM Crashing the Water Barrier (1956) Jay Jackson, Donald Campbell. Dir: Konstantin Kalser. Warner Brothers Color-9 min. P/S

4:15 PM Speed (1984) James Burke, Monty Cox. Dir: Greg MacGillivray. MacGillivray Freeman Films Color-30 min. Exempt

4:45 PM Speed (1936) James Stewart, Wendy Barrie. Dir: Edwin Marin. MGM BW-70 min. P/S

6:00 PM Jet Pilot (1957) John Wayne, Janet Leigh. Dir: Josef von Sternberg. RKO Color-112 min. P/S

Noting the publication of the last-ever original "Peanuts" comic strip on this day

8:00 PM A Boy Named Charlie Brown (1969) Peter Robbins, Pamelyn Ferdin. Dir: Bill Melendez. Cinema Center Films Color-86 min. Premiere

9:30 PM Charlie Brown and Charles Schultz (1969) Vince Guaraldi, Charles Schultz. Dir: Bill Melendez. CBS Color-30 min. Exempt

Kim Novak Birthday Tribute

10:00 PM Jeanne Eagles (1957) Kim Novak, Jeff Chandler. Dir: George Sidney. Columbia BW-108 min. P/S

12:00 AM Pushover (1954) Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak. Dir: Richard Quine. Columbia BW-88 min. P/S

1:30 AM What's My Line (Episode #298) (1956) John Daly, Arlene Francis. Dir: Franklin Heller. CBS BW-30 min. Exempt

2:00 AM Boys' Night Out (1962) Kim Novak, James Garner. Dir: Michael Gordon. MGM Color-115 min. P/S

4:00 AM Strangers When We Meet (1960) Kirk Douglas, Kim Novak. Dir: Richard Quine. Columbia Color-117 min. P/S

Tuesday, February 14th

Lois Maxwell Birthday Tribute

6:00 AM Age of Innocence (1977) David Warner, Honor Blackman. Dir: Alan Bridges. The Rank Organization Color-101 min. Premiere

7:45 AM From Russia With Love (1963) Sean Connery, Robert Shaw. Dir: Terence Young. United Artists Color-115 min. P/S

9:45 AM OSS (episode "Operation Orange Blossom") (1957) Ron Randell, Lois Maxwell. Dir: Allan Davis. ITC BW-30 min. Exempt

10:15 AM The Crime Doctor's Diary (1950) Warner Baxter, Stephen Dunne. Dir: Seymour Friedman. Columbia BW-61 min. P/S

Gregory Hines Birthday Tribute

11:30 AM The Cotton Club (1984) Richard Gere, Gregory Hines. Dir: Francis Ford Coppola. Zoetrope Studios Color-127 min. P/S

1:45 PM White Nights (1985) Mikhail Baryshnikhov, Gregory Hines. Dir: Taylor Hackford. Columbia Color-136 min. P/S

4:00 PM Wolfen (1981) Albert Finney, Diana Venora. Dir: Miochael Wadleigh. Orion Pictures Color-113 min. P/S

Noting the historical event of the day - Alexander Graham Bell's filing for the patent on the invention of the telephone

6:00 PM The Conversation (1974) Gene Hackman, John Cazale. Dir: Francis Ford Coppola. Paramount Color-113 min. P/S

Continuing to celebrate Bell's patent, but with a little romance to honor Valentine's Day

8:00 PM Bells Are Ringing (1960) Judy Holliday, Dean Martin. Dir: Vincente Minelli. MGM Color-126 min. P/S

And more films about the telephone, to honor Mr. Bell

10:15 PM The Fairy of the Phone (1936) Charlotte Leigh. Dir: William Coldstream. GPO Film Unit BW-10 min. P/S

10:30 PM I've Got Your Number (1934) Joan Blondell, Pat O'Brien. Dir: Ray Enright. Warner Brothers BW-69 min. P/S

11:45 PM How to Use the Dial Telephone (1927) AT&T BW-7 min. P/S

12:00 AM Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) Barbara Stanwyck, Burt Lancaster. Dir: Anatole Litvak. Paramount BW-89 min. P/S

1:30 AM Dial M For Murder (1954) Ray Milland, Grace Kelly. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Warner Brothers Color-105 min. P/S

3:30 AM The Bell Telephone Hour (episode "Adventures in Music") (1969) Harry Belafonte, Maurice Evans. Dir: Bill Colleran. Henry Jaffe Enterprises Color-60 min. Exempt

4:45 AM Ladies Should Listen (1934) Cary Grant, Frances Drake. Dir: Frank Tuttle. Paramount BW-62 min. P/S

Wednesday, February 15th

Claire Bloom Birthday Tribute

6:00 AM The Brothers Karamazov (1958) Yul Brenner, Maria Schell. Dir: Richard Brooks. MGM Color-145 min. P/S

8:30 AM The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (1965) Richard Burton, Oskar Werner. Dir: Martin Ritt. Paramount BW-112 min. P/S

10:30 AM Limelight (1952) Charles Chaplin, Claire Bloom. Dir: Charles Chaplin. United Artists BW-137 min. P/S

12:45 PM Innocents in Paris (1953) Alastair Sim, Ronald Shiner. Dir: Gordon Parry. Romulus Films BW-102 min. Premiere

Films honoring today's event in history - the founding of the city of St. Louis

2:30 PM The Pride of St. Louis (1952) Dan Dailey, Joanne Dru. Dir: Harmon Jones. 20th Century Fox BW-93 min. P/S

4:15 PM Belle of the Nineties (1934) Mae West, Roger Pryor. Dir: Leo McCarey. Paramount BW-73 min. P/S

5:30 PM Visiting St. Louis (1904) James FitzPatrick. Dir: James FitzPatrick. MGM Color-9 min. P/S

5:45 PM Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien. Dir: Vincente Minelli. MGM Color-113 min. P/S

7:45 PM Opening Ceremonies, St. Louis Exposition (1904 American Mutoscope and Biograph BW-4 min. P/S

Cesar Romero Birthday Tribute

8:00 PM Julia Misbehaves (1948) Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon. Dir: Jack Conway. MGM BW-99 min. P/S

9:45 PM Metropolitan (1935) Lawrence Tibbett, Virginia Bruce. Dir: Richard Boleslawski. 20th Century Fox BW-79 min. P/S

11:15 PM Batman (1966) Adam West, Burt Ward. Dir: Jack Semple. 20th Century Fox Color-105 min. P/S

12:45 AM If a Man Answers (1962) Sandra Dee, Bobby Darin. Dir: Henry Levin. Universal International Pictures Color-102 min. P/S

2:30 AM Passport to Danger (episode "Casablanca") (1954) Cesar Romero, Hillary Brooke. Dir: Sobey Martin. Rabco TV Production BW-30 min. Exempt

3:00 AM The Shadow Laughs (1933) Hal Skelly, Ross Hobart. Dir: Arthur Hoerl. Sinister Pictures BW-67 min. Premiere

And an interesting movie that has nothing to do with any other theme, except for sharing a title with an earlier film today

4:15 AM Metropolitan (1990) Carolyn Farina, Edward Clements. Dir: Leslie Martinson. New Line Cinema Color-98 min. Premiere

Thursday, February 16th

Background theme - All About Me!

6:00 AM I, Claudius (episode 1: "A Touch of Murder") (1976) Derek Jacobi, Sian Phillips. Dir: Herbert Wise. BBC Color-54 min. Exempt

7:00 AM The Shout (1978) Alan Bates, Susannah York. Dir: Jerry Skolimowski. The Rank Organization Color-86 min. Premiere

8:30 AM For All Mankind (1989) Jim Lovell, Ken Mattingly. Dir: Al Reinert. Apollo Associates Color-80 min. Premiere

10:00 AM Lost In Yonkers (1993) Richard Dreyfuss, Mercedes Ruehl. Dir: Martha Coolidge. Columbia Color-114 min. P/S

12:00 PM Wall Street (1987) Cherlie Sheen, Michael Douglas. Dir: Oliver Stone. 20th Century Fox Color-126 min. P/S

2:15 PM The Dick Van Dyke Show (Episode #4: "Washington vs. the Bunny") (1961) Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore. Dir: John Rich. Calvada Productions BW-25 min. Exempt

2:45 PM Air Force One (1997) Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman. Dir: Wolfgang Peterson. Columbia Color-124 min. Premiere

5:00 PM Love Me Tender (1956) Elvis Presley, Richard Egan. Dir: Robert Webb. 20th Century Fox BW-89 min. P/S

6:30 PM Marty (1955) Ernest Borgnine, Betsy Blair. Dir: Delbert Mann. United Artists BW-90 min. P/S

Star of the Month - Thelma Ritter

8:00 PM Boeing Boeing (1965) Tony Curtis, Jerry Lewis. Dir: John Rich. Paramount Color-102 min. P/S

9:45 PM A Letter to Three Wives (1949) Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell. Dir: Joseph Mankiewicz. 20th Century Fox BW-103 min. P/S

11:30 PM Pillow Talk (1959) Rock Hudson, Doris Day. Dir: Michael Gordon. Universal International Pictures Color-102 min. P/S

1:15 AM What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968) George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moore. Dir: George Seaton. Universal Color-94 min. P/S

3:00 AM Wagon Train (Episode: "The Madame Sagittarius Story") (1962) John McIntire,, Denny Miller . Dir: Virgil Vogel. Revue Studios BW-60 min. Exempt

4:00 AM Miracle on 34th Street (1947) Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O'Hara. Dir: George Seaton. 20th Century Fox BW-96 min. Exempt

Friday, February 17th

Another day honoring those behind the scenes - in this case, one individual, Production Designer Ken Adam

5:45 AM The Last Days of Sodom and Gomorrah (1962) Stewart Granger, Pier Angeli. Dir: Robert Aldrich. 20th Century Fox Color-154 min. P/S

8:30 AM Around the World in 80 Days (1956) David Niven, Catinflas. Dir: Michael Anderson. Michael Todd Company Color-167 min. P/S

11:30 AM The Freshman (1990) Matthew Broderick, Marlon Brando. Dir: Andrew Bergman. Tristar Color-102 min. P/S

1:15 PM The Ipcress File (1965) Michael Caine, Nigel Green. Dir: Sidney Furie. The Rank Organization Color-109 min. P/S

3:15 PM The Madness of King George (1994) Nigel Hawthorne, Helen Mirren. Dir: Nicholas Hytner. Samuel Goldwyn Company Color-107 min. Premiere

5:15 PM The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) Roger Moore, Bartbara Bach. Dir: Lewis Gilbert. MGM Color-125 min. P/S

7:30 PM Ken Adam: Designing Bond (2000) Ken Adam. Dir: John Cork. MGM Color-22 min. P/S

8:00 PM Barry Lyndon (1975) Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson. Dir: Stanley Kubrick. Warner Brothers Color-184 min. Premiere

11:15 PM Sleuth (1972) Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine. Dir: Joseph L. Mankiewicz. 20th Century Fox Color-138 min. P/S

TCM Underground

1:30 AM Spin a Dark Web (1956) Faith Domergue, Lee Patterson. Dir: Vernon Sewell. Columbia BW-76 min. P/S

3:15 AM Curse of the Demon (1957) Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins. Dir: Jacques Tourneur. Columbia BW-95 min. P/S

5:00 AM The Seven Percent Solution (1977) Alan Arkin, Vanessa Redgrave. Dir: Herbert Ross. Universal Color-113 min. P/S

Saturday, February 18th

Adolphe Menjou Birthday Tribute

7:00 AM Easy to Love (1934) Genevieve Tobin, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: William Keighley. Warner Brothers BW-61 min. P/S

8:15 AM You Were Never Lovelier (1942) Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth. Dir: William Seiter. Columbia BW-97 min. P/S

9:45 AM Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935) Dick Powell, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Busby Berkley. Warner Brothers BW-98 min. P/S

11:30 AM The Front Page (1931) Adolphe Menjou, Pat O'Brien. Dir: Lewis Milestone. United Artists BW-101 min. P/S

Celebrating today's historical event - the first test flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise

1:15 PM Midway (1976) Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda. Dir: Jack Smight. Universal Color-132 min. P/S

3:30 PM Star Trek (original pilot episode "The Cage") (1966) Jeffrey Hunter, Susan Oliver. Dir: Robert Butler. Desilu Color-64 min. Exempt

4:45 PM The Flight of the Gossamer Condor (1978) Bryan Allen, Paul MacCready. Dir: Ben Shedd. Shedd Productions Color-27 min. Exempt

5:15 PM Test Pilot (1957) James Doohan, Anthony Hulme. Dir: Fergus McDonell. National Film Board of Canada BW-30 min. Exempt

6:00 PM Test Pilot (1938) Clark Gable, Myrna Loy. Dir: Victor Fleming. MGM BW-119 min. P/S

The Essentials

8:00 PM Bell, Book and Candle (1958) James Strwart, Kim Novak. Dir: Richard Quine. Columbia Pictures Color-106 min. P/S

Jack Palance Birthday Tribute

10:00 PM The Last Judgment (1962) Alberto Sordi, Vittorio Gassman. Dir: Vittorio De Sica. Dino De Laurentiis Cinematographica Color-100 min. Exempt

11:45 PM Contempt (1963) Brigitte Brdot, Jack Palance. Dir: Jean Luc Godard. Les Films Concordia BW-102 min. P/S

1:30 AM City Slickers (1991) Billy Crystal, Jack Palance. Dir: Ron Underwood. Castle Rock Entertainment Color-112 min. P/S

3:30 AM Panic in the Streets (1950) Richard Widmark, Paul Douglas. Dir: Elia Kazan. 20th Century Fox BW-96 min. P/S

5:15 AM The Greatest Show on Earth (episode "You're all Right, Ivy") (1964) Jack Palance, Stuart Erwin. Dir: Jack Palance. Cody Productions Color-60 min. Exempt

Schedule notes to follow in the next post!

Edited by: JamesinArlington on Oct 3, 2011 2:25 PM

OK, here are the notes for my schedule.

The first thing is that the very fact I'm entering is sort of a nod to my background, specifically my wife, who introduced me to TCM and to many, many classic films. So the entire entry is a tribute to her.

Getting more specific...

Sunday, February 12th

We're honoring the efforts of film composers today, all day. We start with Howard Shore ("The Fly"), then an early effort from Alex North ("Viva Zapata!"), and next is Dmitri Tiomkin ("Alice in Wonderland", one of his earliest films), Elmer Bernstein ("Saturday's Hero", his first film), an early effort by James Horner ("The Lady in Red"), then Bernard Hermann ("Jane Eyre" - a change of pace from the Hitchcock scores he's probably best known for), then the first movie John Williams composed for ("Gidget").

In the evening, we've got a classic John Barry score ("Kng Rat" - there are two James Bond films later this week, otherwise I'd have chosen one of those for Barry), then Jerry Goldsmith's first film ("Flaming Star"), and a classic Ennio Morricone score ("A Fistful of Dollars").

After midnight, the composers are still celebrated, with Max Steiner's first two films representing the Silent Sunday Nights, and then two classic Russian films featuring Sergei Prokofiev's music for tonight's TCM Imports to end the day.

Monday, February 13th

We've got two birthday tributes today. We begin the day by celebrating Oliver Reed, and then we honor Chuck Yeager, who became the first human to break the sound barrier on this day in 1947. Yeager did not appear on screen, but performed some of the aerial stunt work for "Jet Pilot", which seems an approipriate way to honor him.

Then, we've got a TCM premiere, to honor Charles Schultz, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown", followed by a documentary about him from the same year.

Finally, we end with our second birthday tribute, this time for Kim Novak. We include an appearence she made on "What's My Line" in 1956, where she's creditred as "Mystery Guest #2".

Tuesday, February 14th

We've got another two birthday tributes today. The first is for an acresss who will forever be known as Miss Moneypenny, Lois Maxwell. And we have to include a Bond film (the second one filmed, "From Russia With Love").

Then we celebrate Gregory Hines with three film to honor his birthday.

After that, we devote the rest of the day to honoring the patenting of the telephone by Alexander Graham Bell. Most of these films are somewhat dark, but we've got one romantic film in honor of Valentine's Day ("Bells Are Ringing"). "Pillow Talk" would have fit well today, but it's scheduled for later in the week.

Wednesday, February 15th

Yet more birthdays - in the morning it's Claire Bloom, with four films to honor her.

Then, to note the founding of the city of St. Louis, we've got "Meet Me in St. Louis" (there's no way I can not include that one here!), along with a Mae West film set in St. Louis, and a 1904 short with footage of the St. Louis Exhibition that we also see in "Meet Me..."

And the rest of the evening is dedicated to Cesar Romero. I had to include the Adam West Batman, for Romero's classic Joker tonight. We've also got another classic television episode, Romero's "Passport to Danger".

Thursday, February 16th

This is the day that's all about me!

"I Claudius" has a connection for me in that it was written by Robert Graves, who lived in and is buried in the town of Deia on the island of Mallorca, where I had one of the best experiences of my life as a volunteer on an archaelogical dig. It also happens that this parciualr episode (the first of the series) aired on my birthday, September 20th.

"The Shout" was also written by Graves, and so I picked it for the same reason noted above.

"For All Mankind" is a fantastic documentary about the Apollo moon landings. I'm a nut for the space program, and, also, the first landing happened in the year of my birth, 1969.

"Lost in Yonkers" relates to me because that's the city I grew up in.

"Wall Street" is set in New York, and Michael Douglas also has a connection to Mallorca (he's got a house there, he donated money to help pay for the dig I worked on, and on one of my trips there, we met one of his servants in the local pub!). Plus, it's a great film.

The Dick Van Dyke show was set in New Rochelle, NY, which is where I lived in my teens. This particular episode reatires Rob having to go to Washington, DC for business, which relates to me because that's where I live and work now (well, the DC Metro Area, anyway)

"Air Force One" has a specific meaning for me - the opening scenes were filmed on the campus of my college, Case Western Reserve University. You can see Severance Hall (where I had my freshman orientation), the Thwing Center student union, and the main campus library (where I worked all four years at college). It's not actually all that great besides that, but I had to include it anyway.

"Love Me Tender" is my and my wife's wedding song, and we were married at the Chapel in the Woods at Graceland.

Finally, "Marty" is a film I very much relate to - I'm a lot like Marty, shy, late-blooming, Italian-American. And it's also just a great movie.

And then we shift gears to our Star of the Month, Thelma Ritter, for the rest of the evening. We include another classic TV episode, this time Wagon Train, with Thelma in a guest-starring role.

Friday, February 17th

Today, all day, 24 hours, we celebrate production designer Ken Adam, He's probably best-known for his work on the James Bond films, but he's worked on far more than that.

The highlight of the day is what I think is a TCM premiere (which is hard for me to believe, but I couldn't find any evidence of it airing previously), "Barry Lyndon".

Adam's work continues on TCM Underground with two of his earliest films, and we end the day with his work on the Sherlock Holmes story "The Seven Percent Solution"

Saturday, February 18th

We begin the day by honoring the birthday of Adolphe Menjou. After four films celebrating him, we turn to a big event of the day - the first test flight of the space shuttle Enterprise.

"Midway", of course, features the heroic exploits of the aircraft carrier Enterprise.

Then, we air the original, unaired pilot of Star Trek ("The Cage", which features Captain Pike rather than Captain Kirk).

In the evening, we've got our Essentials pick, "Bell, Book and Candle".

Then, to end the week, we celebrate one last birthday, Jack Palance.

Whew!

Wow, this is awesome-- two amazing schedules already! Thanks for getting us going, SansFin and JamesinArlington, with such creative schedules! I'll give more detailed comments on your schedules after others have had a chance, but I love what I see. Yay!

I thank you for your kind words about my schedule.

I was disappointed that you did not include Bell, Book and Candle (1958) in your tribute to Kim Novak. It was a very special surprise that you made it an Essential!

I must approve of your choice of Curse of the Demon (1957) because it was on my short-list of movies starring Dana Andrews.

I thank you for posting a very interesting challenge entry!

James--

Really enjoyed your schedule! Thanks ever so much for choosing a character actor as SOTM instead of a "star". Thelma Ritter is one of the best, too. Excellent choice. And thanks for scheduling What's So Bad About Feeling Good because I was not able to (I always include that film in my schedules, and will until they show it). So interesting to learn about you. Love the TV show choices. And I love that you just honored your favorite film composers rather than trying to pick one. That was a lovely way to meet the requirement. Great job!

In the last few months there was a special or a collection of some sort of the films of George Melies. Does anyone know what exactly it was called? The Reason I ask is because I would like to use it in the Programming Challenge.

Edited by: skimpole on Oct 6, 2011 12:35 AM

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}In the last few months there was a special or a collection of some sort of the films of George Melies. Does anyone know what exactly it was called? The Reason I ask is because I would like to use it in the Programming Challenge.

On September 5, 2011 there was a compendium of his films:

10:45 AM Films of Georges Melies, The (1896)

Film pioneer Georges Melies invents the art of special effects in these 17 restored shorts. C-109 mins.

The article for it is at:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/803980/Films-of-Georges-Melies-The/articles.html

On May 2, 2011 there was a documentary concerning him and others:

7:00 PMPeepshow Pioneers (2010)

In Episode One of this seven-part documentary, covering the years 1889 to 1907, the world's first movie pioneers, such as Thomas Edison, the Lumiere Brothers and Georges Melies, emerge. BW-58 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

I wish you good luck with your schedule!

SansFin-

As Shirley Temple would say, "Oh my goodness gracious!" I love your film festival idea. So clever! I especially love the "Con Film Festival" -- and not just because I love so many of those films, but because the name is a brilliant parody I wish i thought of. ANd Irving Berlin is a great choice for your challenge. What a huge amount of songs he wrote, and all of them awesome. And Laura is certainly an essential. But the greatest idea of them all-- the one that set me laughing-- was "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Brilliant.

For the TCM Programmers-- please steal SansFin's idea and schedule The Reivers. I've wanted to see it ever since I heard excerpts from John WIlliams' amazing score at the Hollywood Bowl last summer. Please!

LonesomePolecat -

I thank you for those kind words.

I should take no credit for the name: 'The Con Film Festival' as I believe I heard it somewhere and my mind filed it for future use. When I was thinking of ideas for themes it was in my mind as a thing to expand instead of a thing created.

It is in my files that *The Reivers* (1969) was Previously Shown. I do not know when. I do hope that means TCM can soon show it again.

I should have waited to use the 'Gay' theme for a later Challenge. I have the idea to do a week of themes based on quotes from movies. It is sad to say that all my thinking and all my research has not revealed any other quotes which might be used in such a way. I am sure there are many.

It makes me very happy that you liked my schedule.

LP,

My DSl internet has been down for over two weeks- i just read the requirements. I love the theme and am planning on entering the Challenge. I am live right now but we'll see if it holds. At any rate: what fun Challenge assignments!

Also, back in April there was apparently a special called "Scores by Bernard Herrmann." Does anyone know how long it was and what information I should include for my schedule?