Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Must See Movies

229 posts in this topic

Guest TCMhost-Claire

If you were introducing someone to classic films, what films would be on your "must see" list?

Guest cfrances

I've been wrestling with this very issue, trying to get an 11-year-old, raised on bad TV, to develop an interest in good films. I'd start with the major comedians: The Gold Rush, The Dentist, A Night at the Opera. Then I'd move on to the romantic comedies: Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Some Like It Hot. For musicals, I'd go with Singin' in the Rain, anything with Fred & Ginger, and anything by Busby Berkeley (the more outrageous the better!). Then I'd move on to the epics: Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur. Crime dramas and thrillers: The Maltese Falcon, White Heat, Vertigo. By then maybe the kid would be able to handle the more serious dramas: Casablanca, Citizen Kane. And if she were still awake, then I'd start on foreign films!

Guest jeryson

Depending on the age, I don't see how you could go wrong with "Gone With the Wind." Or even better, "King Kong." These movies move fast, have great story lines and characters. I find my nephews and nieces aboslutely enthralled with the old Universal horror movies: "The Mummy," "Dracula," etc. I know so many families and children who are crazy over the l940 "Topper Returns." This is one of the great comedies ever made. Great performances, special effects. Funny, funny. As is Abbott and Costello in "Hold That Ghost."

Guest Alix

My kids like the classic horror flicks--FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY, and WHITE ZOMBIE, (they thought DRACULA was boring, though)and like some of the 1950's creature features, like THE THING. They also enjoy movies by WC Fields (IT'S A GIFT, THE DENTIST, TILLIE & GUS...) and strangely enough, movies with Jean Harlow. They also like the movie TOPAZE with John Barrymore & Myrna Loy. One of my kids was actually drawn into watching A LADY OF CHANCE by the music! It was kind of cool to watch a silent movie with your kid, and believe me, that rarely happens!

Guest Filmsiren

The movies that made me start watching classic films religiously all started with James Cagney. I was like hot dog! Thats one cute fella right there(as any teenage girl would say of course). Then my grandam turned me onto the best comedy team in my eyes---Myrna Loy and William Powell in The Thin Man. I'm sorry, if I have children, I will strap them to the chair and make them watch The Thin Man. Then I discovered Lon Chaney, which brought on Silent movie Sunday. The Crowd sealed the deal on my love of silent films also. I had no clue silent films could be like that, it was a real eye-opener. Sunset Blvd., GWTW, Some Like it Hot, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Big Parade, Mrs. Miniver, and so many others are a great refreshment to the tripe they show nowadays all aimed towards the teen audience.

Guest Scarlett12oaks

The movies I got my sister to watch were first of all, GONE WITH THE WIND, Singin' in the Rain, Top Hat, Gentleman Prefer Blondes, any Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis movie, Some Like it Hot, Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Gunfight at the OK Corale, Take me out to the Ball game, High Society, Rebel Without a Cause, The Seven Year Itch, Casablanca, Bringing up Baby, Funny Face, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, Harvey, It's a Wonderful Life, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Phycho, really any Fred Astasire movie, any Audry Hepburn movie, any Hitchcock movie, and any Jimmy Stewart movie. I got my sister hooked on them last year and she is only 12. But for me I am 15 and when a teacher asks for something that would set me apart from everyone else (so they can learn names) I say that I am a Fred Astaire fan or something to that effect.

Guest Ms.Hepburn

I have never met anyone that has watched this movie before. I have loved this since I was a kid and would force my little brother to watch it with me. I am thirtysomething, and find it hard to find my age group interested in classics.

Guest D., Susan

My children were all in elementary school when they first saw Rear Window...a huge hit! It started a great appreciation of classic movies, and that one is still very much favored. Of course I must mention one of my favorite movies of all time - The Trouble With Angels.

Guest GingerRogers25

I can Agree with Scarlett12Oaks, that little brothers and sisters are the best to get hooked on old movies. My brother is 10 and I was watching a movie once and my brother came in and said "move over, catdog is on" so I said i would watch catdog (marathon) if he would watch this ONE movie with me. he agreed and sat down. Turns out it was To kill a mockingbird. He was mezmorized by it. He started asking all these questions like "what did the guy do?" "who attacked those kids?" "whose leaving the presents int the tree?" and all. So now when I'm watching a movie he'll ask what it is and 9 out of 10 times watch it with me. Unless its gone with the wind. He always graons at the mushy parts and it drives me mad, since they only show it twice a year.

Guest Talula

I am only 14 sooooo i know what are good movies to start kids out with. I think Doris Day movies are the perfect movies to start with.My mother raised me on her movies, and now i memorize all words and songs from classic movies its all i watch. Shes great.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Thanks for the feedback, Talula! I would have thought that Doris Day's movies would be too cornball for kids today. I'm glad to hear they still have an audience.

Guest GingerRogers25

I was watching Doris Day before I even watched Gone with the wind (my first offical old movie) So my riend and I where obsessed with Grease (go ahead and laugh). Anyhoo, when Rizzo sings "Look at me I'm Doris day, I was not brought up that way! Won't come across even something and moss. Hey look, I'm Doris Day *laughter*!" So of coarse we rented Gidget the same night and just laughed about how fake the surfing was. But still. I was only 8. Now I'm 13 going on 14, innocent as a rose. Gentelmen dandies, drinkers and brandys, What do I know of those? Sorry. I'm known to burst into song.

Guest Bradley, Ray

Without a question!.......The movie highest on my list is the 1957 Christmas classic soon to be shown on Turner Classics...November 21 at 6:00 pm est... Cameron Michell and Glynis Jones in " All Mine To Give". It is a first rate Christmas Classic that shows Family Love for one another! Excellent Choice!!!! Thanks Ray

Guest Cunningahm, Jessica

I'm 18 and I LOVE old movies!!! When I talk to my friends about old movies I pretty much tell them about the movie and say that I really enjoy watching this movie and I think that they might enjoy it too. I like old movies more than the junk that they are putting out now. One of my most favorite movies is The Women. I love this movie because there are so many of my favorite stars in it (and it's just hilarious!). I like the fact that you can sit down and watch an old movie without the threat of hearing vulgarity after ever other word.

Guest Alix

Welcome aboard, Jessica. I'm also a fan of THE WOMEN. What a classic that one is. Who's your favorite character? Mine is the Countess de Lauve. I love it when she says "Oh l'amour, l'amour!"

Guest GreerGarson

I have to join in ! I'm 16 and have loved old (I prefer "classic") movies since I was 12. I started with Doris Day and have moved on from there. My favorites would be Ginger Rogers, Doris Day, Jane Russell, Esther Williams, Irene Dunne, Ingrid Bergman, Judy Garland (of course!), Ann Sothern, Greer Garson, and Ava Gardner. I also adore many others, including Myrna Loy, Cyd Charisse. I love Frank Sinatra (swoon!), Fred Astaire, Bogie and Cary Grant (sigh!). I'm love THE WOMEN and so many of the other really great classics. However, sorry to hurt anyone ;) but I despise Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Elizabeth Tayloe, and most of all GONE WITH THE WIND. I'm weird that way. My little sister, because of me, is also a fan of the classics and she's only 9. She started around age 7 and her favorite, at the moment, is Judy Garland. Just thought I'd join in and share! Katherine

Guest 1930's-1950's, Mr.Film Buff of the

I enjoy watching the classics movies. Its ashame that alot of these movies aren't available on video or DVD. The last classic movie I bought was "The Helen Morgan Story" with Ann Blyth and Paul Newman very entertaining. I have a large video den. Some movies that I have been looking for are Gaslight,the British version. One Foot into Heaven with Fredric March...the 1930's version of Back Street.( I have the other 2 versions 1941 and 1961).Act of Murder with Fredric March and Florence Elderidge. the movie of Dragonwyck with Vincent Price and Gene Tierney.

Guest Alix

Great to have ya aboard! And you know what...it might be that dislike certain actresses because you haven't seen them yet in that **one special role** that will really change your mind about them. I used to feel a little bit that way about Joan Crawford too, but once I saw her in OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS and OUR BLUSHING BRIDES I was hooked. She was great as a flapper and a shopgirl! I just hadn't seen her in this type of role before. Now, believe it or not, she's one of my favorites! (I am still looking for that **one special role** with Elizabeth Taylor! Haven't seen it yet.) Have you watched either of the two movies I already named, or have you seen DANCE FOOLS DANCE, or the 1931 POSSESSED? She is very good in all of these. Keep watching classic movies!

Guest mongo

I too would like to welcome movie buffs Jessica, Greer and Mr. Film Buff to the message boards. Since some of our comrades abandoned us we could use some new fans. The film "The Women" is indeed an entertaining movie. Although all the players are wonderful I especially like the performance of Norma Shearer. As far as legends Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Elizabeth Taylor are concerned I believe the word "despise" is a bit strong. Alix had the right idea with the word "dislike" and to seek out that "one special role" especially since these women combined have made close to 300 films. Although "The Helen Morgan Story" was entertaining (and a bit whitewashed) I don't believe it has "classic" status. "Gone With the Wind" is a "classic" film with its durable staying power after over 60 years. "One Foot in Heaven" is shown on TCM on occasion and "Dragonwyck" appears on AMC. "An Act of Murder" seems to have disappeared in the vaults.

Guest Ann

Hello Everyone, I am so glad to have found this message board, I am a huge fan of old classic movies.. They are the best. I look forward to chatting with all of you about old movies.. It would be nice if we could chat about the movies that they give on TCM .. Bye Ann

Guest Stapley, Tamra

Jessica it is so nice to someone who is young like me appreciate the value of old movies. I have so many favorites that I love especially from the thirties. However, I've found with most people when I tell them I like an old movie or try to suggest a movie that is over fifty years old (I work in a video store)I meet with a great deal of prejudice, but please don't let these unenlightened people try to swerve your opinion regarding to old movies. Don't let the classics like Bringing Up Baby, Ball of Fire, Singing in the Rain (my favorite movie of all time)and of course The Women be forgotten!

Guest clarajean

Hello All! I am so excited that I can actually talk with people about the movies I enjoy without the snickers and comments! I own tons of classics and thanks to TCM, my library is always expanding. I even converted my step-daughter, who is 10! Never too young to appreciate a great movie!! Her favorite is Queen Christina, not one of mine, but it is good, especially due to John Gilbert, though he isnt great in that one. He was definately much more comfortable in the silents. I recently saw, and taped!:)!! Downstairs, and thought he was great in that, especially impressive is the fact that he wrote the screenplay! I look forward to talking more about my favorite subject, MOVIES!!! Adios!!

Guest Clara_Keaton

Must see movies??? Hmmmm. What constitutes a must see movie? Is it something that changed the nature of filmmaking (like Stroheim's "Greed")? Is it the best movie of an actor's career (like Buster Keaton's "The General")? Is it because of the message that the movie gives (such as "All Quiet on the Western Front")? Or is it because the movie is so extraordinary, that not seeing it should be a federal offense (and I'm referring to "Some Like It Hot" with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis!!)? Or should it be because the movie is GREAT FUN (like "Show People", or "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", or "Oklahoma!")? I think it's all these things! And I say watch all those movies I've mentioned! You won't regret it!!!!

Guest born2late

My husband says that I was just born too late... mainly for the movies that I love. I think I would have really enjoyed seeing them on the big screen when they first came out. There are just too many "must see" movies to list, but a few of my fav's are "The Philadelphia Story" (love Kate, Jimmy, & of course Cry), "An Affair to Remember"(I hate boat whistles too)& "The Thin Man" series...Myrna & William couldn't be beat for these parts. I could go on forever!!! Glad to see these movies that were TRUE films... so funny & we sure need to laugh.

Guest son, jery

born2late, I know how you feel. I wish and wish I could have seen some of my favorite oldies when they originally came out in the 20s and 30s and 40s and that I could have been in those original audiences. Imagine seeing "Gone With the Wind" for the first time in a l939 theater? Or "Dark Victory" or "Mr. Skeffington" or "Since You Went Away," "Intermezzo", "The Mummy," "King Kong"? I've got all my favorites now on DVD and see them on my 27 inch TV screen but it's still not the same as big, old movie theater!