Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Must See Movies

229 posts in this topic

Guest Sanchez, Heidi

Well a great movie that you just have to see is Good news with June Allyson! I am going to eneter that contest!

Guest mongo

The black lads name is Ernest Anderson and ironically years later Davis cast him in "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" (1962). He is the fellow at the concession stand on the beach who hands Davis the ice cream cones near the finale of the film.

Guest Palmquist, Joanna

He, I am a new member here, but I love old movies. I am 16 years old and I always check CM to see what's on whenever my time is free. My friends and I started having old movie nights. We bring our favorites and talk about them. Its so much fun. Because of these night I've been introduced to so many amazing stars and learning about there background. I never knew so much about stars before now, even recent ones. I would love if anyone could give suggestions of there favorite old movies or favorite classic film stars! I would love to get more ideas for our movie night! Thanks

Guest Jagiello, James

Frankly my dear, I agree with you!

Guest son, jery

Welcome Joanna to our little gang of old movie fanatics. Or the Brady Bunch of TCM. I've got so many old movie favorites. But I think that since you're still in your teens, there are a few that would really have a strong impact on you. A great tear-jerker supreme that everyone always enjoys is David Selznick's l944 masterpiece, "Since You Went Away." This was his attempt to make a World War II homefront movie on the line of "Gone With the Wind." Claudette Colbert and Shirley Temple star. Especially now, with America at war with terrorism, this movie is a perfect film to watch. Also, Bette Davis made some fantastic masterpieces in her heyday. You might really enjoy "Dark Victory," or "Now, Voyager" or "Mr. Skeffington" or "In This Our Life." I won't overburden you. But I've made these suggestions before to my friends and family. They all loved them. Happy new year!

Guest Bernson, Edward

Welcome JoAnna and "Happy New Year!!!" Here are a few more suggestions for you not entirely with the same actress/actor. A few films that I really tout are "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March, "Smilin' Through" with Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard, "Mildred Pierce" with Joan Crawford and Jack Carson, and "A Letter To Three Wives" with Ann Sothern and Kirk Douglas. These are four films that are truly first rate and a great place to begin. Many thanks to Robert Osborne and "TCM" for including the late great, Ann Sothern, in the "TCM Remembers" montage for 2001. Perhaps the Academy Awards will do the same this March and redeem themselves for her omission last March.

Guest Alix

Welcome JoAnna. My goodness, people have really given you a great list to share with your friends! It sounds like great fun to have classic movie nights with your friends. Another one you might like is PRIDE AND PREJUDICE with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. If you think you might be up to musicals, try 42nd STREET and FOOTLIGHT PARADE. Both of these have the excellent James Cagney and Joan Blondell. If you've never seen Joan Blondell you've got a real treat in store for you. She's sassy, brassy, and can wisecrack better than anyone! Any movie she's in is a good one! Enjoy and pass the popcorn.

Guest Barb

Aliz try -Somewhere in Time. not an old one, but the clothing and love story are magical. Jane Seymour is excellent.

Guest WALKER, KEN

I came across this web site tonight and wanted to say that I too am a regular viewer of TCM. Many of the movies shown I saw as a child.I'm 67 yrs old,but I enjoy the old films,especially serials and horror films of the 30's and 40's.I have an extensive collection[mostly DVD's],and would love to hear from others with similar interests.I especially like Silent SUNDAY films.Hats off to my favorite cable channel! K.W.

Guest son, jery

Welcome Ken! I'm having trouble in getting my messages to post on this darned board again. I've just written you one note. It vanished. So, I'll try again. I'm a fanatical fan of some old silents: I like the ones that show the jazz guys and girls but do not like the silent historical sagas. I also love the Republic serials! They can't be beat. Especially "Spy Smasher", "G-Men Vs. the Black Dragon, Etc."

Guest walke, ken

jerey son, Most glad to get your rapid reply.Glad to know that there is another serial lover out there.The two serials you mentioned are favorites of mine also.Most of my serial collection is on tape from Republic home video.I have a couple from VCI.I have five on dvd,[RED RYDER;JUNGLE GIRL;S.O.S COASTGUARD;DICK TRACY [1937],and UNDERSEAS KINGDOM.]All excellent prints I might add.Ihave over sixty titles on tape. I like the Lon Chaney silents and others like the Lost World. You might be interested in"The Republic Chapterplays",a book by R.M.Hayes.It has alot of info on the serials.Hope I didn't bore you, but I really love to talk about those cliff hangers. See you on the net, ken

Guest Alix

Hey Ken, welcome aboard! You'll have to visit the "silent" film section of the website. We usually have a lot of conversation going on over there about silents and transtional films (1928-1931).

Guest mongo

How about "Nyoka the Jungle Girl"? It was fun watching Frances Gifford as Nyoka and the danger she faced each week (of course she always managed to escape). I found out that 15 chapters from 1941 are available on VSH which I will order on Amazon.com.

Guest walker, ken

mongo, Came across your message.I see we share some common interests.I have Jungle Girl on dvd.It is from VCI.It was remastered from a 35 millimeter nitrate print found in England.They also offer this new copy on tape.Sound and picture are excellent!!The dvd has some extras that might interest you.

Guest weeder, jim

if they like war stuff or termaintor stuff try The Blue ax on Ryan Express and the great Steve mcqueen the great escape & bullet they are great clasice & have what the kids are looking for action

Guest walker, ken

Alix, Thanks for the welcome! I really became interested in the silents after veiwing Silent Sundays on TCM. I have SPIDERS,INDIAN TOMB,PHANTOM OF THE OPERA,THE PENALITY[Lon Chaney],and CAT AND THE CANARY, all on dvd. I recommend these for any fan of silent movies. See you on the net! ken.

Guest Alix

I have CAT AND THE CANARY also. It's a great silent. Laura LaPlante is lovely throughout the film. It's a fun mystery to watch.

Guest son, jery

Ken, I've tried writing another message to you but this message board is giving me trouble. Still can't send. So I'll it yet another time. "The Cat and the Canary" is one of my all-time favorites. Loved Laura LaPlante. As to serials, I watch monthly such goodies as "Spy Smasher," "King of the Texas Rangers," etc. Among my other horror favorites are the Universal's black and white classics. Especially, "Night Monster," "Mummy's Ghost," "Black Cat," etc. I've got most of my horror goodies now on DVD but was terribly dissapointed in the latest batch of double-feature horror classics. Zero extras. So glad you've discovered us.

Guest walker, ken

jeri son, you and I seem to be on the same wavelength!!I agree with you on the double feature DVDS.Universal dropped the ball on these releases{my opinion]!Some of the features were crying out for extras!The Mummys Hand was the best of the ones I have,followed by Son of Frankenstein. I'm a big fan of Chaney,jr.,but I feel he was wasted in the Mummy series.Now to my favorite topic..serials. Republic put many of their serials on laser discs but as of this date I know of none on DVD from Republic home video.That's a shame.Classics such as Captain Marvel,Spy Smasher,Crimson Ghost,would look great on a DVD transfer.One last comment...As a child in 1939,I have memories of seeing Ralph Byrd on stage at our theater in a small KY town where I resided.He was promoting a Dick Tracy serial.He sang "South of the border",and fired a shot across the audience.Although his appearence lasted only five minutes or so,it has stayed with me through the years.See you on the net,KEN.

Guest Kappybelle

Hi everyone! I'm new, but i just thought I'd write because you all seem friendly and interested in the same things as i am...old movies! I'm fairly young for knowing so much about them. (My family calls me the old movie dictionary) Anytime anyone has a question about an old movie or movie actor, they ask me. I'll admit that i don't know everything, but I have my whole life ahead of me. I guess i should start out by telling you my favorites. Actresses: Ginger Rogers and Olivia de Havilland. Actors: Jimmy Stewart and Dana Andrews. Movies: Stalag 17, Singin' in the Rain, and The Magnificent Seven (Just to name a few). Hope you all are having a great day!

Guest son, jery

Hi again Ken! Check out the new discussion thread I've opened up under "General Discussion." I've entitled it: "Serials and Horrors." This should be right up your alley! I'm waiting for Republic to put out some of my real favorite serials. I simply worship "G-Men Vs. the Black Dragon," "King of the Texas Rangers," "G-Men Never Forget", "Daredevils of the Red Circle." Your memoir of Ralph Byrd appearing on stage as Dick Tracy was fascinating. It's a shame the performers of Serials were looked down upon by Hollywood's elite. Ironically, our serial performers are probably watched more today than back then. Their snooty big stars are the ones forgotten. Are you into Universal's horror classics of the early 40s? I think they turned out some really unforgettable classics, like "Night Monster" (my favorite), "The Mummy's Ghost," "House of Dracula," etc.

Guest son, jery

hi, Kappybelle! Love your name! Welcome aboard. We love anyone who loves the old classics. It's so hard in these days to find anyone whose only knowledge of movies are Austin Powers, Men in Black or Jurassic Park. Ginger Rogers has always been a favorite of mine. She was so natural and saucy and warm. Olivia d'Havilland has never gotten her due respect. Although she was good in "Gone With the Wind," I thought she was equally good as the long-suffering sister in "In This Our Life" (1942)with Bette Davis playing the psychopathic Southern belle from hell. Write some more. We love hearing from people like you.

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Thanks for opening up the new catagory.I'll sure check it out!!Yes, I have been a life long fan of the horror genre.I was fortunate to have seen many of the Universal releases when they first released.But don't forget to include some of the poverty row and independent releases."The Bat Whispers"{1930-Chester Morris] is agood example.The DVD release includes both a full screen and wide screen version.Both versions were filmed at the same time."Strangler of the Swamp" from PRC is another goodie filmed on a ultra low budget.In closing,you and other serial lovers might like to read" In a door,into a fight,Out a door,into a chase ",by ace serial director William Whitney.THE book is hard to find,but worth the effort.QUESTION: What is your ideas on "WHITE ZOMBIE"? My dvd copy is from Roan,and is one of my favorites.

Guest Kappybelle

OOOoo.... thanks jery son. If you've never seen Ginger in Roxie Hart, its a must see (My personal favorite is the Major and the Minor). Some other movies of Olivia's that are really good are the Snake Pit and the Dark Mirror (With Lew Ayres) I've never seen In this our life, but i collect old movie magazines, and that movie was condensed in Screen Romances...it was good reading.

Guest Allen, Aushya

I liked June Ally son in Good News! too. My favorite movie of hers was the secret heart and too young to kiss. But good news was the best especially when they sang the varsity drag. All in all I think the whole movie was funny and delightful and a really good comedy and musical. I memorized all the songs and dances to perfection and still enjoy watching it again and again.