Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Must See Movies

229 posts in this topic

Guest D., Joe

About "Trouble in Paradise" - I have been waiting a few years to see this film ever since I read about it in the Films of the 30's book. After trying in vain to get it on tape, I requested it many times on TCM, and was thrilled when they aired it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had requested that great film, and from all of the feedback on this message board, it seems to be a popular classic. Hopefully it will air again. Robert Osborne said that it was a "TCM premire" the night it aired, so Universal must have just re-issued it. Thanks to Universal and TCM.

Guest Candlin, Hugh

William Alas, I missed "Trouble In Paradise". However, that film, and "If I Had A Million" (Excerpt), "The Smiling Lieutenant", "The Love Parade", "Monte Carlo", "One Hour With You" and "Design For Living" were released on LaserDisc. This box set probably originally retailed for $125. A sealed copy just sold on E-Bay for $998. That's impressive. Names like Lubitsch, Sturges and Wilder are a magnet to me. Coincidentally, I just happened to locate a sealed copy of this LaserDisc myself last week. Life is good.

Guest son, jery

Sandy, I, too, taped 'LOVE ME TONIGHT'when it played on our NY PBS station, Channel 13. I watched it until it became faded. All these great movie treasures are floating around somewhere--but we can't even get them on video, DVD or see them on TV anymore.

Guest K, Sandy

Yeah, why is it taking so long for classics to be released on dvd? DVD players are quite affordable now and the picture and sound quality is so much better than VHS. I don't understand why a film like LOVE ME TONIGHT is rarely shown. It's a delightful film-everyone seems to agree on that. Yet years ago, when I taped it, even AMC called it a rarely shown gem. I don't get it.

Guest walker, ken

Sandy, This is just an educated guess,but it may be the scaracity of decent source material that would be needed for a good transfer to DVD.It could also be copyright problems.I,m curious too. I'm especially interested in Republic serials,and so far only a limited number are on DVD.I would be interested in hearing more opinions on this subject.

Guest son, jery

Ken,I'm l00 per cent with you on being able to find Republic's great old serials on DVD. This should prove a gold-mine. Also, the tapes I brought of Republic's serials were wonderfully restored, hardly any scratches, so I wouldn't think it would be a hardship to bring "G-men vs. the Black Dragon," "Spy Smasher," "Adventures of Captain Marvel," etc. to DVD. By the way, I brought "Jungle Girl" on DVD and love it. And that Tom Neal! Wooo, he's a cutie piece. So sexy!

Guest M., Maggie

I am 14 and I have loved old movies since i could imitate the actors. i think the best way to start a kid off with the classics is pick something close to their personality! if theyre sarcastic and real jokers, try Marx brothers. If they like singing and dancin, go with anything Gene Kelley or Fred Astaire (sumthin romantic, silly, and entertaining) If they like mystery/adventure start with Charade, Notorious, or north by northwest (all Cary grant too!) but when ya do, dont push it too hard. since she's eleven, maybe start with a really famous musical (sound of music) that other people would know about. Not a lot of kids these days know (or care) about old movies, so start with something that a lot of people would know about!

Guest morrison, jim

I love jean harlow And would like too see the girl from Missouri since I view it as sort of semi autobiographical of harlow and id also liked to see both harlow biographical films the one with carrol baker and the one with carol lynley! thank you!

Guest son, jery

Jim, a movie that always amazes me with Jean Harlow in it is "Public Enemy." When you first see Harlow, she's all dolled up in the ultimate l930 fashion: furs, mascara, platinum hair, tight skirt. When you see her, you really know it's a new era for women. Gone are the chiffon frocks, pale make-up, marcelled hair. Harlow looks sexy, hard, earthy, wise, delectable.

Guest MADISON, CLIFF

HELLO PEOPLE! I am brand new(what an oxymoron) here. I am having trouble getting started, with the names & passwords, etc. My favorite movies: Stella Dallas, All About Eve, A Start Is Born(1954), Singing in the Rain, Brief Encounter, Auntie Mame, To Each His Own, In the Good Old Summertime, Broadway Melody of 1940, Follow the Fleet, It's A Wonderful Life, Make Way for Tomorrow, Mr. Skeffington(Rains, not Davis), Show Boat(1951), Swing Time, Summer Stock, The Pirate, Three Little Words, Golden Boy, Till the Clouds Roll By, An Affair to Remember, Perils of Pauline, It's Always Fair Weather, Meet Me in St, Louis, Come Back Little Sheba, Little Fugitive, The Champ(Jackie Cooper) and not quite a million more.

Guest MADISON, CLIFF

Hello again. It seems that my first E-Mail worked, so I have established a new addiction. You will probably be hearing a great deal from me for a while, at least. I didn't realize that I had run out of space on the first one until it had happened. To continue, some of my favorite performers are: JUDY GARLAND, BARBARA STANWYCK, ROSALIND RUSSELL, DEBORAH KERR, OLIVIA DeHAVILLAND, IDA LUPINO, ANN SHERIDAN, CARY GRANT, JAMES STEWART, GENE KELLY, DONALD O'CONNOR, OSCAR LEVANT, GEORGE MURPHY, RAY BOLGER, RICHARD CARLSON and many-many more. As is often the case, when called upon to relate a long list of information that I have in memory, I have to prompt myself by scanning pertinent publications. I'll end here and see what some of you have to say.

Guest mongo

Welcome aboard Cliff. With that impressive list of motion pictures and of the stars you'll have no problem getting involved around the boards. There are plenty of catergories to choose from so feel free to join in any time. Other than IMBd this is a movie buffs paradise. Any one of us will be glad to help you in getting started.

Guest MADISON, CLIFF

Thank you Mongo, for your response. I appreciate the offer of help. Having witnessed (not one) but two successful E-Mails on my part, I feel good. Yesterday when I was struggling to communicate, I was trying to respond to several messages regarding Tear-Jerker movies (which I love), but today that whole category was not there. That does bring up a question. How long is any message left on the board?

Guest mongo

Cliff the Tearjerker films are still on the board. Just go to General Discussions where there is 41 discussions to choose from. Messages stay on the boards for months at a time. Give it another shot.

Guest K, Sandy

Welcome, Cliff! You have some of my favorites on your list: MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, AUNTIE MAME, SUMMER STOCK. Sandy K

Guest Madison, Cliff

Mongo - After making that statement, the next morning I came across the tear-jerkers again. I hope this message is not a duplication. Yesterday I spent several hours reading messages and composing rather long-winded replies to some and I sent them but see no record of them on the board.

Guest Madison, Cliff

Sandy K. - This is the third message I've sent to you, to acknowledge your welcome to me. I'm doing this the same way I did the others, yesterday & today, so if you receive this one, I will be perplexed. If you received the other two, why can't I see a record of them?

Guest mongo

Cliff your message is not a duplication. If your recent messages appear on the board there shouldn't be any problem with posting in all the other catergories. Take it one step at a time and be sure to hit all the "proper" steps such as "check spelling", "post my message", "edit" (if needed) and especially "OK". I had difficulty when I first started since I would forget to hit the "OK" step. Give it another shot. Good luck.

Guest son, jery

Hi Cliff and welcome aboard! The more old-movie addicts the better. And we've got quite a collection from all over the place. I still think Vivien Leigh's last words in Gone With the Wind "(...tomorrow is another day!) still sends chills up my spine. Bette Davis in "Dark Victory" has an incredible death scene that ends "Dark Victory." In "Mata Hari," Garbo walks off with the soldiers to be executed. But the best Garbo ending I think is the gigantic close-up of her in "Queen Christina."

Guest K, Sandy

Cliff, this is the first and only message of acknowledgement that I've seen, so the other two are lost in cyberspace somewhere, I guess. I will second mongo in stating that you must make sure to click on ok after it shows your message as it will appear on the board. (This step is after you type in your password.)

Guest Madison, Cliff

I now see some messages that did get posted on the board, but there were several that did get lost. What bothers me is, when setting up my AOL E-MAIL, it asked me if I wanted to save messages that I sent. I always make & keep a copy of anything I mail, whether it be Con-Edison or Ann Landers, so I'm sure that I answered "yes" to that question. I have now seen other things get saved but not ANY of the messages I sent to the Must See Movies board.

Guest Madison, Cliff

Happy to meet you, Jery Son. There are many scenes from movies that stay in my mind. Three from Stella Dallas, all backed up with Alfred Newman's music. The Christmas scene when she believes there is a chance they will re-unite and proceeds to fix her appearance to be more suitable for him. The one in which she visits his paramour & asks her to allow her(Stella's) daughter to live with her(paramour) for the daughter's betterment. Halfway thru the scene, the paramour realizes the sacrifice that Stella is making & is as heart-broken as the rest of the audience. Then, of course, the final scene in which Stella is standing in the rain, hanging onto a wrought-iron fence, to be able to watch her daughter getting married. And always, the music is woven into the scenes.

Guest Dan, Coffee

. . . and the minute she opens her mouth, she's like a little girl putting on her mother's lipstick and high heels! Face it, at this point in her career, Jean Harlow couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. As much as I like PUBLIC ENEMY, Harlow's scenes are hard for me to sit through. She seems like she barely knows what she's doing, and her delivery sounds flat and stilted. But when MGM signed her up, they really went to work on her. When you see her in THE SECRET SIX, released just six months later in 1931, it's hard to realize that this is the same actress. The difference is like night and day. Harlow is earthy and hardboiled, and there's a snap in her delivery that was never present in PUBLIC ENEMY. And that was just the start . . .

Guest Cunningham, Jessica

Has anyone ever seen the movie "Kitty"? It stars Ray Milland and Paulette Goddard. I havn't seen this movie in ages I love it but there isn't a single channel that plays it. I sure wish TCM would play. My FAVORITE of all time stars are Doris Day,Jimmy Stewart,Danny Kaye,Cary Grant,Rosiland Russell,Greer Garson,Fred and Ginger movies,Irene Dunne,Paul Newman,Gregory Peck,and I could go on and on...I love talking about the classic's so let me know who your favorite's are. Jessica

Guest o, rita

Hi, Jessica! Yes, I've seen the moview Kitty years ago when I was a kid. But, I have not seen the movie as an adult. There are films I saw as a child that I would like to view again as an adult. Sometimes, I dont like them as much as an adult or I am able to comprehend it better then when I was a child. another movie I haven't seen in eons is Letty Lynton the Joan Crawford film famous for the "dress designed by Adrian". But, I don't know which dress it is as I saw the film on TV when I was a child. I remember a black and white dress. The dress appeared black with a white ruffle along the shoulders and sleeves. Does anyone know the dress or seen the film. I can't even remember what it's about as I saw it so long ago. The Kitty film I saw as a kid was telecast few years ago on TCM, I think, but, I didn't see it. I would like to see both of the aformentioned movies again. But, TCM just keeps showing the same old films over and over. They hardly ever show any of Paulette Goddards movies other then the Women which I never tire of watching. I loved that movie!