Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Must See Movies

229 posts in this topic

Guest walker, ken

Jessica, You sure have an impressive list of actor and actresses!If you are speaking of "Kitty Foyle",I have seen this movie,but that was a long time ago.Many on your list are my favorites also.I saw "Keys to the Kingdom" with Gregory Peck on Fox Movie Channel recently .Good movie. Paul Newman in "The Sting",Greer Garson in "Mrs.Miniver",Cary Grant in "Gunga Din" are some of my favorites.How about some of your all time favs? KW

Guest jes

maggie my name is jessy I am 14 as well. I have been watching old movies for about three years now and I love them also. post your e-mail and we can be pen pals and talk about old movie's!

Guest bateman, kristen

i'm am in the same boat w/ jessie. i am 19 and none of my friends watch old movies are even know who many old movie stars are. anyway, i was excited that they played "cat on a hot tin roof" and "butterfield 8" last tuesday. i have been wanting to see those movies for a while. i thought that they were pretty good. i love the scene at the begining of "cat on a hot tin roof" when that little girl threw ice cream on elizabeth taylor. that was so funny and unexpected. my favorite elizabeth taylor movie is "a place in the sun". hopefully i will get the dvd soon. i can't find it in any stores though so i guess i will order it online. well, i am happy to find a message board that talks about classic movies.

Guest son, jery

Kristen and Jessie, an absolute must-see Elizabeth Taylor film is "Ash Wednesday." Liz has never looked so ravishing. It was made in l975, just as her marriage with Richard Burton was coming apart. Tragically, this was the last "glamorous" role for Liz. The rest of her movies were downhill after that. But in "Ash Wednesday," she plays a woman who has a body-lift to win back her husband, Henry Fonda. And oh, boy, does she look incredible in fabulous Edith Head furs, gowns, turbans. You should see her!

Guest walker, ken

Another must see film is "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?"with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.This is certainly not a glamor movie in any sense,but an excellent character study.A dark,gritty,fine film!

Guest Madison, Cliff

How about Elizabeth Taylor AND Warren Beatty? I had never heard of it before I came across it on TCM a couple of years ago. It's an enjoyable movie. Beatty has the scene near the end of the picture that he does beautifully. It is "The Only Game in Town". Naturally, when I was recording it on VCR tape, I cut off a minute or two (accidentally) at the end and I haven't seen it since then.

Guest Madison, Cliff

Question from Cliff: I posted this message just after the on about Elizabeth Taylor & Warren Beatty, so if it gets duplicated, pardon me. I wondered why my other message says "New DELETE Reply", while others don't. I noticed it at least one other time, when I sent a message.

Guest K, Sandy

One of my favorite performances by Elizabeth Taylor is in GIANT. A great role for her, and she looks beautiful. RAINTREE COUNTY was on yesterday, and I had forgotten how good she was in that one! She looks great in those Civil War era gowns with her tiny waist. Of course, whenever she had a scene with Montgomery Clift I kept thinking of his terrible accident and what good friends they were. She was there the night of his car accident, wasn't she? I can't remember the details.

Guest olmsted, l

Sandy, I saw an interview with Liz recently and she described that night. From what I can recall, he had recently left her house (?) and when she arrived at the accident, she said his head was so swollen that it looked as wide as his shoulders. She also said that his teeth had gone through his tongue and he asked her to pull them out of it. How he was consious is beyond me. It is a true tragedy that something so horrible happened to such a beautiful person. However, I watch his films before and after the accident and his performances after by far outshine those from before. There is much more depth to his roles and how he played them afterwards.

Guest Klemick, Tom

My favorite movie is "The Quiet Man" because it has all the makings of a classic movie and it is considered one of the best movies of all time!

Guest Klemick, Tom

I think that there are classic movies that you can't go wrong with. The movies I'm talking about are movies like Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, It's A Wonderful Life, or The Quiet Man. Great movies like this are the movies that in 30 years will still be loved by everybody.

Guest K, Sandy

lolmsted, I think that I saw that interview, too. Your description of it rings a bell. I heard that he never really got over losing his good looks. Yet he was given a great gift in terms of his craft. Those who have suffered do seem to be the better actors, unfortunately.

Guest son, jery

I've walked by Montgomery Cliff's old townhouse here in Manhattan several times and always stop and wonder about what all happened behind those walls when Cliff lived there.An elderly man, named Freddie, in my building, now dead, showed me photographs of parties he used to go to there that Monty gave. This man swears he was one of Monty's lovers and in several pics, they are embracing each other. This elderly gent told me many stories about the wild parties, drug use, etc. that went on there. One night, Monty told Freddie to come with him to the airport. At LaGuardia, Monty hired a private plane and pilot and they flew to his old home place. They got a taxi and drove by the house and then got back on the plane and came back to Manhattan. IT cost thousands and thousands of dollars. Monty never remembered a thing about it. But that was typical of his last days.

Guest walker, ken

I,ve noticed a lot of comments on the original "Little Women". Just wanted to let fans of this film to know that it's now out on DVD.The remake is also on DVD.

Guest Cunningham, Jessica

Hi Ya everyone, One of my most favorite movies is "Auntie Mame" with Rosalind Russell. I don't necessarily like the one with Lucille Ball. I classify my favorites by if I would want to see them over and over again and not get tired of them."Vivacious Lady" is one of my most fav's. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that wants to see "Kitty". I love that movie and yes it's been awhile sense I last saw it.I was very little also when I saw it last."The Quiet Man" is one of my favorites too. I love Barry Fitzgerald! He is hilarious in this film (he's funny in all his films). Has anybody seen "Rhapsody" with Elizabeth Taylor? I love this film. There isn't alot of famous stars in it but the actors are amazing in there roles. Liz gives a powerful, tear-jerking performance. It's been awhile sense TCM has played it, but to any "Liz" fan I would diffenently say that it is a must see. Tell me if you've seen this movie and if you liked it or hated it, I would love to hear from ya! Jessica

Guest son, jery

Jessica, "Rhapsody" is one Liz Taylor movie I have yet to see. I thought she was fabulous in "Ash Wednesday." Sadly, it was her last "glamour" movie but boy, she looks incredible. I liked "Auntie mame" with Rosalind Russell. Here's a curious tidbit about the version made by Lucille Ball. I was a reporter who attended a press junket in Atlanta back in l975 when "Mame" opened. Lucy came in wearing her riding habit costume from the movie. It was 9:00 a.m. in the morning and she drank glass after glass of straight vodka. She was a total nightmare. She glared and snapped at all of us. When I asked her if she did her own singing in "Mame," she jumped up and left the conference, calling me a "....jerk!" That's why I never loved Lucy.

Guest K, Sandy

jeryson, I love all your stories! You should write a memoir. Back for a moment to Monty Clift, any interesting info on his affair with singer Libby Holman? I read a good bio of her years ago.

Guest P.T.

Christmas movies are a good start. What good-hearted kid can resist Miracle on 34th Street or White Christmas? Rear Window is good, and it will teach your son what beauty really looks like (Grace Kelly). Maltese Falcon is not a good choice, far too convoluted. Maybe 12 Angry Men? The key is to turn off Nickelodeon. If your kids like Bugs Bunny and have never heard of Real Monsters they will be more inclined to enjoy classic media. I remember getting started on the old TV shows like Mr. Ed, Donna Reed, Lassie, etc. As I got older I loved Dobie Gillis, Patty Duke, Lucy, and I still think The Dick Van Dyke show was one of the greatest shows of all time. Your kid might not like TCM or AMC, but they will love TV Land.

Guest son, jery

Sandy, I knew one of her Montgomery Clift's many male "lovers" (this guy lived down the hall from me)and he had pictures to back it up.) Freddie says that Monty's relationship with Libby Holman was very weird: they didn't have sex. It was more like a son and mother. With Liz Taylor, Monty's relationship was more like a sister and brother. Don't know if this is true. I've known other people who knew Clift and they agreed that he had to get drunk or blasted on drugs before he could have sex with another guy. Which means it couldn't have been too good.

Guest Gilda

this is a bit ironic my name is Amanda too and actually I'm quite a bit younger than you,but the women is definitely one of my favorite movies. unlike you though I do have friends that like old movies. I guess everything comes full circle.

Guest Madison, Cliff

Total agreement, P. T. I have said for many years that the Dick Van Dyke Show is one of the greatest shows of all time.

Guest America, Darren

I dont know if 8 1/2 isn't first on someone's list i really am going to stay single

Guest mongo

Just watched two films "new" to me on TCM this past week and I enjoyed both of them. "Stage Door" (1937) about a bunch of gal's drawn together at a boarding house all hoping to make it big on Broadway. The cast was stunning with Katharine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, Ginger Rogers, Eve Arden, Ann Miller and a fine performance by Andrea Leeds. And a silent gem "White Shadows in the South Seas" (1928) about a doctor stranded on an island paradise in the Pacific where all is eventually spoiled for the greed of pearls. The film starts off in black and white and flows into a faded color to enhance the look of paradise on the island. With Monte Blue (an actor not of the matinee idol type), Raquel Torres a ravishing beauty and Robert Anderson as the villain Sabastian. Released through MGM and directed by W.S. Van Dyke the film captures the true essence of island life the way I always imagined it to be.

Guest Girl, Lucy

Oh the women was the greatest Cukor film ever made. My favoite was Sylvia Fowler and my favorite line was " And what do you do with youself all day Mrs. Fowler?

Guest walker, ken

I had an opportunity to see"Around the World in Eighty Days" yesterday on TCM. Has anyone besides myself ever wondered why this film is not showed in letterbox instead of pan and scan.There is so much to see that the p@s method is a big irritant to me. Any opinions?