Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Must See Movies

229 posts in this topic

Guest Conner, Rick

I'm not positive, but I dont think it was filmed in widescreen. The producer, who was married to Liz Taylor at the time, had to scramble to find funding as the film was being shot. At least thats what I've heard.

Guest Conner, Rick

I saw "Best In Show" for the second time a few days ago. I think it was even better the second viewing. For my money the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I'd love to hear if anyone else things it will stand the test of time.

Guest laine

I am 17 and love classic movies. My favorite movies are, It's a wonderful life,Sanfransisco,and Vertigo

Guest K, Sandy

I saw BEST IN SHOW at the theatre and I liked it, but I didn't laugh as much as I did during WAITING FOR GUFFMAN. Of course, I performed in community theatre almost my whole life, and I'm from the Midwest, so it really resonated with me. I do think that the characters in BEST IN SHOW, like GUFFMAN, are the source of the humor, as opposed to some sort of elaborate wacky plot.

Guest walker, ken

laine, Welcome aboard! You mentioned some great films.You came to the right place if you love classic movies.There's something on these boards for everyone,along with some very knowledged people to chat with.

Guest h, chelsea

this is for Scarlett12oaks: I agree with you 100%i am 14 and i love classic movies.if you are on here again please email me at pedall4159@excite.com

Guest Amariei, Mima

Hi Everyone I am 16 and I just really love classic movies. They are simply the best. Well, if I were to recommend someone to watch classic movies, I would first recommend the person and/or persons to watch Fred and Ginger films. Especially Top Hat. Top Hat is my favorite of all Fred and Ginger films. I love the others as well even though I have not seen all of them, which I hope I would get to real soon. The other Ginger and Fred films I've seen are The Gay Divorcee, Roberta, Follow the Fleet, and The Barkley's of Broadway. Top Hat is really wonderful like all the Fred and Ginger films. One of my favortie scenes is when Fred and Ginger are dancing to the song "Cheek to Cheek" and Fred dips Ginger lower and lower as they are dancing. I think that that is really romantic and beautiful. I just simply love Fred and Ginger. They are two of the greatest dancers of all time and they are one of my all time favorite actor and actress of the classics. I love classic movies and everday I try to watch one classic movie after another. Hopefully everyone will treasure and perserve the classics now and for a long time to come. Thanks. Bye.

Guest mongo

Mima it's refreshing to hear from a youngster today about the films of the 1930's and '40's. Your choice of Astaire and Rogers couldn't be better however you have plenty of goodies yet to discover, enjoy and treasure. Just remember that they don't make movies like that any more.

Guest Amariei, Mima

Thanks mongo. I will enjoy and treasure them and you're right, they don't make movies like that anymore. That's why I really treasure the classic films. My mom was the one to introduce me to them because she watches them too. Right now I think I love the classics more than my mom. Hehehe. Anyway, the classics are really great and wonderful. What are your favorite classic films, mongo? What do you recommend I should watch? I mean I have seen other classic films besides the ones with Fred and Ginger, like Mata Hari, Ninotchka, The Women, The Rage of Paris, Catherine the Great(with Douglas Fairbanks Jr.), To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, The Big Sleep, Key Largo, Orphans of the Storm(a silent one with Lillian and Dorothy Gish), Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Gentlemen's Agreement, Gone With the Wind, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, It Happened One Night, Bachelor Mother, Monkey Business, Suspicion, Notorious, Spellbound, Little Women, Night Train to Munich, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and many others. But I would like your input mongo, it would really help. Thanks! :)

Guest walker, ken

Mima, Welcome to the boards.You have a fantastic list.Many are on my best picture list. You might want to add "Thief of Bagdad"[Fairbanks,silent],"Night of the Hunter","The Good Earth","Keys to the Kingdom","Song of Bernadette".There are so many great classics! I'm glad to see the renewed interest in the classics.Mongo ,jery son and so many others,are a great source of knowledge for these movies .Check out their posts. They are great!!

Guest mongo

Mama Mia Mima! Your list of films is most impressive. You've listed some that I didn't even get to see yet. Ken's suggestions for you are mighty good especially "The Good Earth" and "The Song of Bernadette" which are movies made from novels. Some others I suggest are "Captains Courageous", "David Copperfield", "San Francisco", "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935), "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Mrs Miniver", "The Letter" (Bette Davis), "The Little Foxes", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "Waterloo Bridge", "Kings Row", "Moulin Rouge" (1952), "Marty", "From Here to Eternity", "The Yearling", "Johnny Belinda", "The Heiress", "Easter Parade", "Meet John Doe", "Stella Dallas", "City for Conquest", "Since You Went Away", "Duel in the Sun" and oodles more too numerous to mention. TCM is the perfect place to watch most of the classic films since it is heaven for the true blue movie buff. Enjoy.

Guest lee, jes

hi,I noticed that two of your favorite movies starred jimmy stewart, is he your favorite actor he's my favorite!!

Guest razzberry54

I have so many favorites here we go The razor's edge w/T Power, Old Acquaintance w/B Davis, Jezebel, Unfortunately can't recall the name of the movie it has B. Davis and O. De Haviland and they are sisters Bette steals Oliva's husband who is played by Dennis Morgan great evil Bette. GWTW, Wiz of Oz, Horse feathers, Hold that Ghost, A Tree grows in Bklyn. Stella Dallas w/Barbara of course. Marty, I remember Mama, March of the Wooden Soldiers w/Laurel & hardy. Captain Blood, Robin Hood, Elizabeth & Essex w/Errol Flynn, Dodsworth w/Walter Huston. The roaring 20's and the Strawberry Blonde w/Cagney. The Philadelphia Story w/Grace Kelly sorry Katherine. The Country Girl w/Crosby & Grace Kelly great one!!!. The Detective w/Kirk Douglas, Streetcar named Desire w/Brando who else. On the Waterfront, Sabrina w/Bogie dont get me started I must stop now still many to name, but I give up for now

Guest mongo

Great variety of films razzbery. The name of the Davis and De Havilland film is "In This Our Life" and the Grace Kelly remake of "The Philadelphia Story" is "High Society".

Guest son, jery

I've always thought the great Bette Davis vehicle, "In This Our life," is the best Southern Gothic movie ever made--a lot better than "Streetcar Named Desire," "Suddenly, Last Summer." I've always loved the house that Davis and her family lived in. Bette personally demanded that the house look "aged, lived in" and she wouldn't put foot on the set until the set decorators aged the walls, furniture. She also demanded that the film use as many black performers as possible--down to the black couple walking down her street, n front of buildings, etc. She was way ahead of her time in demanding realism within a framework of motion picture storytelling.

Guest Sketch22

Hello everyone, I am new to the message pages but I have been checking the schedule now for months. As for favorites to recomend I would have to say Frank Capra's "You can't take it with you" or "Mr. Deeds goes to Town.. (by the way, I saw a commercial a few minutes ago for a remake of this starring Adam Sandler. I am sorry, but Adam can't hold a candle to Jimmy Stewart.) Also, I like "Teacher's Pet" with Doris Day and Clark Gable and too many to name with Kathrine and Audrey Hepburn. (yes, I know they aren't related, but they are both wonderful) The other day, TCM played several Bing Crosby movies, (I don't think I have ever seen him in anything except White Christmas before) I watched "The Bell's of St. Mary's." Did anyone else see it? I liked it so much I have ordered it from Amazon.com. I can't wait to watch it with my husband. It so sweet. Now I know what a great actress Ingrid Bergman is. Too many more to mention, I like "Bringing up Baby" too, and "Harvey". I am so glad to hear that there are younger ppl watching these too. I was about 16 when I started watching them and now I am 25. I am glad I found this channel.

Guest walker, ken

Sketch22, Welcome!!I think you'll really enjoy these boards.There's something for everybody!

Guest razzberry54

If you like Bing Crosby you must try to see The Country Girl so different from the Bells of St Mary and White Christmas. He was such a well rounded entertainer. I cant decide if I liked him more as a crooner or an actor. Rent is if you have to let me know what you think

Guest cleveland, scott

There are so many great movies, it's hard to start, but, I'll give it a try. Must see movies: Edward G. Robinson in Five Star Final (1931), Harold Lloyd in The Kid Brother (1927), F.W. Murnau's Sunrise (1927), Frank Capra's The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933), Friz Lang's M (1931), Akira Kurasawa's Ikiru (1952), Charles Laughton in The Big Clock (1948), and his Night of the Hunter (1955), Chaplin in A Dog's Life (1918), Marx Brothers in Horse Feathers (1932), Laurel & Hardy in Son's Of The Desert (1933), Stanley Kubrick's The Killing (1952), Peter Sellers in The Party (1966?), Ernst Lubitsch's Trouble In Paradise (1932), Rouben Mamoulian's City Streets (1931), Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959), CB DEMille's The Whispering Chorus (1916), Lois Weber's Where Are My Children? (1916), Erich Von Sroheim's The Wedding March (1928), Josef Von Sternberg's Shanghai Express (1932). I'm sure I've forgotten several, but these make a great start !

Guest Griffin, Mark

THUMBS UP FOR "ALL FALL DOWN"! John Frankenheimer's "All Fall Down" (MGM, 1962) doesn't just push the envelope, it steams it wide, wide open. Warren Beatty plays abusive drifter Barry Barry (is there an echo in here?) who slugs every woman he encounters in a misdirected revolt against the unwanted advances of mom Angela Lansbury and the boozy obliviousness of dad Karl Malden. Knockout younger brother Brandon de Wilde (the little boy from "Shane" all grown up into a state of mesmerizing manhood) is the very confused bisexual(?) narrator who can't stop chronicling everyone's conversations in his ever present notebook. Added to this dysfunctional dip is a stunningly beautiful middle aged virgin played by Eva Marie Saint who threatens to steal Barry Barry away from that overbearing mama and his incestuously emulative little bro. Acclaimed playwright William Inge ("Picnic," "Splendor in the Grass") lets this insane soap opera simmer, scald and boldly boil over. Trivia Notes: In one scene, Saint compliments de Wilde's competent driving technique. Ironically, the thirty year old de Wilde (who also starred in "Hud") was killed in a automobile accident in 1972. Also, one of Barry Barry's girlfriends was played by starlet Evans Evans (hey, is this stuff catching?)

Guest mongo

It's amazing the knowledge we consume about a film when it becomes one of our favorites. It's apparent that you watched "All Fall Down" from opening credits to closing credits and all the good stuff in between many times. I saw the movie only once before and although it didn't have such an effect on me it was interesting. However a film that did affect me was "The Last Picture Show" which seems to be another forgotten gem.

Guest Griffin, Mark

Dearest Mongo: Thanks for your oh so kind words. Vintage movies are not only an interest but an intense passion (!) for me. I, too, greatly admire Bogdanovich's "The Last Picture Show" and I'm especially appreciative that he lensed it in haunting black and white. I recently interviewed Roger Ebert for "MovieMaker" Magazine and we discussed Mr. Bogdanovich's latest release, "The Cat's Meow," which Ebert liked a lot. I'm really glad to see that somebody as talented as Peter is back in the ring! PS - Do you adore "What's Up, Doc?" (1972) as much as I do? I love it when the dialogue is super sophisticated and moves faster than a FedEx delivery! Best...Mark (MarkGriffin@mpbc.org)

Guest K, Sandy

I like the scene in WHAT'S UP, DOC? where Ryan O'Neal is under a table and he looks right into the camera and says, "Help,"

Guest mongo

Mark the film "What's Up, Doc?" is a delightful screwball comedy with a terrific cast. Two highlights for me were the great chase scenes and of course the one and only Madeline Kahn. Good stuff from Bogdanovich!