Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Must See Movies

229 posts in this topic

Guest Dickinson, Stan

Grapes of Wrath! If you can make it past the first thirty minutes, you will be greatly rewarded. All Time Classic!

Guest Zolkov, Bob

Does anyone out there remember Brazil, a 1985 movie directed by Terry Gilliam, or am I the only person in the world who enjoyed this futuristic movie about a totalitarian existence dominated by beaurocratic red tape?

Guest wardicus

BRAZIL is a wonderful film--one of the most terrifying and thrilling movies I've seen. There's a terrific piece of casting with Michael Palin. Wardicus

Guest Zolkov, Bob

Thank goodness I've finally found someone else who enjoyed Brazil as much as I did...I was beginning to question my own judgement. You're, also, right about the thrilling, chilling plot and the fine cast.

Guest son, jery

Bob, "Brazil" is fabulous! I taped it off Bravo one night after renting it on tape. My favorite scene: when the doctor shows that horrendous mother how her new face-lift looks--and he stretches her face like play-dough! The music was great, the flying scenes were unforgettable. I'd love to get the DVD with commentary to see how this movie was put together!

Guest Robinson, Laura

It's so nice to have this channel. Classic movies are my all time favorite. The Women,of course is included on my all time favorites, list also.My favorite charactor is Syl via Fowler too. Favorite line is when she is called Mrs. Prowler,by Joan Crawford, and she snaps back FOWLER! I crack up every time. Of course it's in my tape collection, and I watch often.

Guest Watroba, Katlyn

I am 14 years old as well. I love Hitchcock a lot and just about everything classic. In my opinion it would be easiest to get your kids to watch movies that are in color, or since all these old movies are being remade you could show them the origanials before and then show them the remake(s). Some other movies I would recommend are American Graffiti, or older thriller movies for the older ones and older musicals like Fred Astaires for younger and older. Of course The Wizard of Oz is a must see for all kids!!!!!!

Guest Greene, Lynn

I was introduced to things before my time when I was younger. My first favorite movie was The Wizard Of Oz and I think that got me interested in musicals. So from then on I started watching classic tv shows, musicals and anything that seemed interesting to me. I think it's best to start with something interesting such as music or a favorite actor. The Wizard Of Oz is definately a must watch for anyone in my family but I do recommend something playful like The Little Princess for younger kids and maybe Beach Party (my favorite movie) for the more mature.

Guest Napier, David

Yea, I loved Ma and Pa Kettle. But there was another character that used to keep me glued to the TV. Judy Canova was her name. She was a joyful hill billy and I loved to hear her sing and get caught up in some adventure or other. What ever happened to her and all the films she made?

Guest mongo

David, Judy Canova died in 1983 at age 69. None of her hillbilly movies from the 1940's are available on video. However two of her films from the 1950's "Oklahoma Annie" (1952) and "Lay That Rifle Down" (1955) are available on VHS at Amazon.com most likely at $14.95 each.

Guest Blackwell, Jackie

Like some others on this site, I am a youngin. At a mear 17 years in age I absolutely adore classic movies! In my opinion, they are so much better than newer movies. And if I may say so, most are more heartwarming, believable, touching, and entertaining than the newer ones out there. It's great to know that so many people, like myself, can still appreciate the great quality in a classic film.

Guest jim

Arsenic and old lace is a must see movie.Cary Grant is just plain great in that movie it also has Peter Lorre an excellent movie.

Guest Annie

I love ALL the old movies.There isn't one I have seen yet that I don't like.My top favorites as of now are Written on the wind , Imitation of life , and Whatever happened to Baby Jane?.The new movies don't captivate you like the old classic ones do.People today can't act like people did back then.The classic movies make me happy.It may sound funny , but at the ends of the movies , I can't help but get up and clap!

Guest JeaneCooper

Annie - I don't know how old you are - but I remember in the 60's (when I became fully cognizant of movie going) people used to clap at the end of the movies. Any movie - blockbuster or not. The last time I remember it was "Airport" in 1970 in Danbury CT.

Guest K, Sandy

I've been to quite a few movies where people applauded. The last two were a showing of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. It makes the film seem like more of a shared experience, I love it.

Guest Oldie_fan

Hey Jess, i totally agree-I am a teen, and i wasbrought up on oldie movies-just give me a great classic, some popcorn and i'm set for a great night in-the stuff they put out now is garbage (with a few exceptions)-nothing compared to GWTW, cat on a Hot Tin Roof, To Be or not to be, Roman Holiday, all the thin man movies-i thinki was suposed to be born in the 30's.

Guest WETTERSTROM, SARAH

I LOVE OLD MOVIES!!!! BUT MY FAVORITE ACTOR AND ACTRESS IS LUCILLE BALL + DESI ARNAZ!!!!!!! "I LOVE LACY" IS MY FAVORITE SHOW EVER!!! I AM 15 AND MY ROOM IS FULL OF STUFF OF LUCILLE BALL AND DESI ARNAZ!!! MY BEST FRIEND IS LUCILLE'S 5TH COUSIN SHE HAS PICTURES OF LUCILLE BALL FROM FAMILY GATHERINGS (BEFORE SHE WAS BORN) BUT THEY ARE SO COOL!!!! I WISH I COULD OF MET LUCILLE AND DESI! I HAVE LOVED LUCY AND DESI AND EVERYTHING BOUT EM SINCE I WAS 4! I ALWAYS WATCHED THE SHOW AND I STILL DO! MY DREAM IS TO MEET LUCIE ARNAZ AND DESI ARNAZ JR I HOPE MAYBE I WILL WHEN I AM 18 I AM MOVING TO JAMESTOWN, NEWYORK!!! I CANT WAIT!!! ALL THE LUCY AND DESI FANS EMAIL ME AND WE CAN CHAT!!! WELL BYE ALWAYS SARAH

Guest Jackson, Johanna

At last, a place where I can vent my torment over classic movies that I am dying to see again but can't find.I have so many but Crystal Ball with Ray Milland and Paulette Goddard to begin with, then Trade Winds with Frederic March and Joan Bennet, Holy Matrimony with Monty Woolley, The Masquerader with Ronald Colman.From Hell to Texas with Don Murray and Diane Varsi ( can't find it anywhere), The Girl's of Pleasure Island with Audrey Dalton, Home Sweet Homicide with Randolph Scott and Lynn Bari, The Housekeeper's Daughter with Adolphe Menjou, Joan Bennet and Victor Mature, Just Across The Street with Ann Sheridan and John Lund, Centennial Summer with Jeanne Crain and Cornel Wilde, Remains To Be Seen with June Allyson,Merrily We Live (1938) with Constance Bennet, Mickey with Irene Hervey, Desert Song with Dennis Morgan and Irene Manning, The Moss Rose with Victor Mature and Peggy Cummins, Miss Tatlock's Millions with John Lund and Barry Fitzgerald, Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone(1950,So Long At The Fair with Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde,Spring in Park Lane with Michael Wilding,Ticket To Tomahawk with Anne Baxter, and Young In Heart with Richard Carlson and Janet Gaynor, Captain China with John Payne. I would also mention What's Up Doc with Ryan O'Neal and Barbra Streisand as a new classic that is available on tape, but still hard to find on the stations. Thank you for letting me go on and on. I love Turner Classic Movies and hope they never change their format as another has done with disastrous results! Love, Joey

Guest Casey

It's good to find someone near my age..I'm 15. My must sees would be: An Affair to Remember Sabrina Charade To Catch a Theif Breakfast at Tiffany's IT HAPPENED ON NIGHT Roman Holiday My Fair Lady ARSENIC AND OLD LACE Bringing Up Baby Rear Window The Philidelphia Story Top Hat Dinner at the Ritz His Girl Friday That Touch of Mink But instead of making a long list, I would just recommend them to go to the video store and look for Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn movies.

Guest F., Amanda

I totaly agree with you. Most of my fav. movies are with audrey and cary. I also like vivien leigh. I'm 15 and i wouldd like to talk to you and learn more about classic movies. i'm form chi~town. where r u from?

Guest Casey

Hey! I'm from Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Drop me an e-mail sometime at Hipygirl3@aol.com -casey

Guest boekr, richard

GREED----all of it---ESSENTIAL 1930ish Westerns w/o John Wayne I'll Always Love You - Republic A Matter of Life or Death - ESSENTIAL

Guest boekr, richard

Also trying to locate From Hell to Texas... Rumor has it that it was pulled by a member of the film company i.e. cast or other. Have tried scouting location in Lone Pine but first have to see film..right.

I'm a teenager and started last year with TCM's 31 Days of Oscar. It was Humphrey Bogart in The Maltese Falcon. I adored that flick. Ever since I've been watching old movies. I'd probably start them with that because it's got so much drama and appeal in every way, shape and form.

And I think Mr. Bogart is ridiculously talented and could make anyone melt. Even now.

Where have you been? I agree Arsenic and Old Lace is great. They have shown it at least 25 times in the last 10 years. There's this new thing on the market called a VCR. It allows you to tape things off TV to view anytime you want. Instead of requesting movies that have been shown every other month, how about requesting movies like 'Room For One More' or 'Topper'?