Sign in to follow this  
rohanaka

TCM Family Recipes

405 posts in this topic

Well..thanks to the advice of a friend.. I now have the perfect place to discuss two of my favorite topics together.. classic movies AND food.. (together at last.. ha)

And as I sit and think about food.. and movies.. I think.. hmmm.. WHAT sort of thread will this be?? And of course.. I come to the conclusion that it is going to be a RECIPE thread.. because I LOVE new recipes and I enjoy cooking (even if I DO get a certain amount of kidding from SOME folks around here about my culinary skills.. or the lack thereof.. ha) :P

So think of this thead as a big family cook book..a *TCM family cookbook* if you will.. where we can share our fave moviewatching recipes.. snacks.. desserts.. munchies and treats (ENTIRE four course meals even!!)

Because after all.. this place (and many of the people here) have become so dear as to feel like a "family" to me so why not have a "family table" to vist around once in a while. So here is the place to stop for a visit and leave your favorite recipe.. or just pull up a chair to the kitchen table and sit and talk about what sort of food you enjoy with your movies.. OR even share your favorite food "moments" in a movie.

It's all about the food.. and the movies..ha.

But PS: just so you know... if you are looking for gourmet recipes.. you'll have to post them yourself, as I am NO fancy cook. Ha.. I am just your every day, garden variety "mom" sort of cook.. meaning all my recipes are simple "family style recipes". (but that is not to say that I don't enjoy a more sophisticated menu if someone else is cooking.. so again.. gourment recipes are always welcome!!)

Now to get the ball rolling... lets start with one of my most FAVORITE types of food... COMFORT food.. ha.

But first.. I gotta ask.. WHY do they call it comfort food when really.. every time I eat it, I stuff myself until I am MISERABLE.. ha.(But I digress.) :D

ANYWAY... here is the "comfort food" recipe I've been discussing over in the Torture thread.. ha.. the one that started it all..

*Rohanaka's Family-style Scalloped Potatoes* (not fancy.. but filling.. and OH so very "comforting") :D

*4 or 5 medium to large baking potatoes, peeled, and sliced*

*1 can cream of mushroom soup*

*1 1/2 cups of milk*

*3 tablespoons of butter*

*1 tablespoon of garlic powder*

*salt and pepper to taste*

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.*

*Layer potatoes in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Stir soup, milk, garlic powder and salt and pepper in a bowl and then pour over potatoes. Spoon butter over the top of mixture and cover pan with foil. Bake covered for 30 minutes and then remove foil, stir.. and bake another 35-45 minutes... or until mixture is golden and bubbly (but not soupy) and the potatoes are tender*

(and PS.. this recipe is very flexible.. you can always add more potatoes if you are serving a bigger crowd. Just add more soup and milk and butter,etc too... You'll just want to adjust your baking time as needed to make sure all the liquid cooks into the potatoes well.. otherwise you'll have "soupy potatoes" ha.. )

Hmm.... soupy potatoes.. potato soup.. Y-U-M, yum!! (What can I say.. it is Fall and my "comfort-food-o-meter" is on overload.. ha) But I'll save that one for another post as that is another recipe altogether.. ha.

I hope you will drop off a recipe too, now and then, and we'll add it to the cookbook. In the meantime, pull up a kitchen chair and we can just sit around and talk about food and movies.. and what sorts of foods you enjoy with what sorts of movies.. (because hey.. I don't know about you, but sometimes it depends on the TYPE of movie what sort of food I may want to eat.. ha.)

Ma's kitchen is always open!

BE004114.jpg

Ha! What a great idea for a thread! I'm loving your ideas, your thoughts and your recipe!

Why is it food always looks so good in the movies? I remember a scene in The Sting, when Robert Shaw is eating... it always makes my mouth water!

I have to go, but I wanted to thank you for starting this thread before I took off on my errands.

YUM!

That recipe sounds scrumptious! Here is my variation on the same recipe: I would sub creme and chopped champignons for the soup and fresh garlic and shallots for the garlic powder, add a tiny bit of paprika...and maybe grate some cheese over the top and bake a little more until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling...I'm now faint with hunger!

WHOA momma!!! That looks SO DELISH!! I lovwe you for making this thread! Now we can all share our goodies together while watching our favorite classics!! OOH Im so excited!

The other day, I was watching Sabrina with Audrey...of course...and I had the slightest inkling to make gelee....

Here's my recipe:

1 cup of raspberries

1 cup of blackberries

1 tsp of rosewater

i whole bottle of any champagne of sparkling wine...i prefer sparkling wine

1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/4 cup of sugar plus 2 tbsp of it later

2 small packets of unflavored gelatin....or about 3 1/2 tsps of it

Basically, it's like a french sort of jello. I used to go to culinary school, so I have these urges to make new recipes all the time!! It's soooooo fun to play around with them!I just love it when family gathers around to watch a good classic and then snack on delightful treats together!

So you throw the berries into a separate bowl with the lemon juice and the 1/4 cup of sugar..let it sit in its juices for around 20 minutes to let it soak in all its gloriousness! mmmm yummy huh? In another bowl pour half a cup of the sparkling wine with the gelatin and mix until thickened. In a pot on the stove, pour 1 cup and a half of the sparkling wine and bring to a boil with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved....turn off the heat and pour the boiled wine and the gelatin mix into a wide glass bowl all on its own. then for the grand finale...pour the berry mix into the glass bowl with everything else and pour the remaining bottle of wine into the mix and stir until all gelatin and sugar is dissolved.

If you wanna make it fancy and pretty, pour the gelee into separate wine glasses while dividing the berries evenly in each glass and chill in the fridge for 3 hours. My daddy scrum-diddly-uptioused down a whole glass of it by himself and loved it! So we had it together while watching Sabrina together.

HELLO there Miss G!

I would sub creme and chopped champignons for the soup and fresh garlic and shallots for the garlic powder, add a tiny bit of paprika...and maybe grate some cheese over the top and bake a little more until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling...I'm now faint with hunger!

Woo, baby.. me too! That sounds like a mighty fine "upscaling" of my recipe for sure! I do like that creamy texture in my comfort food, but I am such a "lazy" cook I defer to the easy "canned" soup method far too often..ha. but OH the pay off for using the real cream, etc.. definitely would be worth it (though I should have mentioned I do add cheese now and then to this one myself)

Oh, and I love to add fresh mushrooms of several varieties to a lot of my other recipes but never even THOUGHT of doing so with this one.. so I will keep that in mind the next time I make this..

Gee.. I am liking this new thread idea more and more already! ha. :D

HELLO there Ms Favell!!

Thanks for stopping by..

Why is it food always looks so good in the movies? I remember a scene in The Sting, when Robert Shaw is eating... it always makes my mouth water

Ha.. it's a conspiracy.. the food companies must be in league with the movie people to make us want to buy more groceries..ha.

I have not seen the Sting (well.. yes.. I THINK I might have.. like way back when I was maybe the kidlings age.. Ionly remember the music.. I did not even remember Rober Shaw being in it..ha.. let alone the food.. so I will have to check it out.)

Meanwhile.. here are only a VERY few of my favorite movie "food" moments.

This one has to be just about my all time favorite, ha. (and for some reason now, I am craving fried chicken and corn on the cob! Ha)

And this one always makes me crave roast beef and boiled potatoes...

This is the scene with the meal where the Duke brings the brother home to supper (about 6minutes into this clip) I love poor rumpled up Victor's choked up voice "God bless all in this house" . :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMNV6cYY0Ho&feature=related

From A Christmas Story:

HA! I know, totally disgusting, but every time I see this, I automatically start craving meatloaf (because meatloaf, smeatloaf double beatloaf, I LOVE meatloaf) ha. :D

Oh great, now I need a snack...

You have a little "crew" to feed, it's easy for me to dawdle over my dinners for one. I'm so hungry now I could faint...I'm going to run out soon to the market, my fridge is bare and mocking me.

I love this, ro.

Here's my BICYCLE THIEF recipe for tonight. The ingredients are for one person, but obviously can be doubled or tripled. It's easy-peasy.

Slice open an Italian loaf

Place four pieces of fresh mozzarella inside, along with two slices of tomato, splash of olive oil, garlic powder, and a dash of black pepper. Broil until the cheese and tomato melt. Stuff into your mouth.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 15, 2011 4:51 PM

Now we can all share our goodies together while watching our favorite classics!! OOH Im so excited

Woo hoo, little Scotchie.. Welcome to my kitchen!!! YOU are the perfect one to bring me all the more decadent "gourmet" food recipes.. Miss Culinary School girl... :D

Here's my recipe

I absolutely LOVE raspberries.. delish sounding recipe, youngun! (and I must confess, I am intrigued because I have NEVER cooked.. maybe even never eaten anything made with rosewater) The whole thing together sounds like it would be light and cool and soothing.. a perfect end to a heavier "rich" sort of meal.. y-u-m..

I bet your dad (and the rest of your family too) loves getting the benefit of all your cooking expertise! ha. :-)

Thanks for the recipe!!

Oh good gravy girlie.. I l-o-v-e LOVE any sort of toasted bread, melted cheese THINGIE.. ha. SO simple and YET so rewarding..

I am going to go check into the database and read more about The Bicycle Thief..

In the meantime.. hmmm.. no Italian loaf.. but I do have some Texas Toast.. maybe some mozzarella.. alas.. no tomatoes though.. but Texas Toast grilled mozzarella cheese sandwiches for lunch tomorrow..sounding pretty good right now..

(PS Miss G.. My crew is little now.. so I still love to "dawdle' a bit myself with recipes sometimes.. but more often than not I just resort to old cooking habits from my youth..ha. My real story is that I learned to cook growing up with a much BIGGER crew..ha. With six mouths to feed, I inherited all of my mom's recipe short cuts for almost any sort of cassarole made of hamburger or canned tuna or chicken. Her secret was that cream of something soup was always a part of it..ha.

Now I am old and set in my ways.. but OH how I do love to experiment and step out of the "can" now and then.. ha) :D

Woo hoo, little Scotchie.. Welcome to my kitchen!!! YOU are the perfect one to bring me all the more decadent "gourmet" food recipes.. Miss Culinary School girl... :D

Thank you for the invite! I could smell your potatoes from across the hall! mmmmmm....

I changed majors, so I only had a few semesters of culinary. I'm not a professional like Bobby Flay....OH MY WORD! He is delectable!

I absolutely LOVE raspberries.. delish sounding recipe, youngun! (and I must confess, I am intrigued because I have NEVER cooked.. maybe even never eaten anything made with rosewater) The whole thing together sounds like it would be light and cool and soothing.. a perfect end to a heavier "rich" sort of meal.. y-u-m..

Doesn't every woman love raspberries? I mean, they talk about women loving chocolate...pfft! Raspberries..."yum-o!" as Rachel Ray would say! The only reason I have rosewater, is because I love making turkish delight. I must admit that i crave the smell of it, so i experiment every once in a while with it. An Affair to Remember is also a good movie to have this delightful dessert with.

I bet your dad (and the rest of your family too) loves getting the benefit of all your cooking expertise! ha. :-)

My daddy is my harshest judge. he never lies... oy vey! i am goping to try your recipe! it looks to scrumptious!

I'll tell you what makes me salivate: Frank Morgan's succulent description of the holiday restaurant meal he's going to share with young Rudy in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER.

I must run out and buy potato chips and a bottle of champagne to dunk them in after I watch THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

I have to have both a liverwurst AND a chicken sandwich during CHARADE. Same thing with DESK SET.

I get faint whenever characters in movies go a long time without food. When I see Claudette Colbert nibbling on carrots in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, I almost pass out.

Hey Bronxie!....how about when Julie Andrews falls to the ground outside that restaurant in Victor/Victoria..I wanted to laugh, because its so funny the way she did it, but at the same time I wanna catch her and feed her something. poor baby!

ro I do the same...the vast majority of the time I just make the same stuff over and over, even though I love to cook and experiment (though I'm always a little scared). there's plent of "adventure" to be found in trying a new recipe! I think I'm going to make this scalloped potato thingy. Too late to thaw my pork loin so I'll have get some other sort of meat to accompany it.

One thing I like to prepare every time I cook anything is a kind of "relish" or condiment made from red onions and tomatoes:

Slice one medium or one-half large red onion very thinly (do not dice) and place in a bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt (about 2 teaspoons or so).

"Scald" the onion slices by pouring boiling water over them (just enough to cover the slices) and let soak for two or three minutes.

Strain and then sqeeze in the juice of half a lime; stir and set aside while you prepare you main course. When the main course is almost ready, add a teaspoon of olive oil, diced tomato and chopped cilantro and/or fresh chopped dill and black pepper to taste to the onion/lime juice and combine.

Serve as a flavorful condiment to any meat or fish or mix into your favorite salad (no need for extra dressing!) or spread over toasted fresh bread. It's delicious!

P.S. This recipe really calls for red onion only; I tried white and yellow once and they just don't taste the same, plus it doesn't look as pretty!

The Texas toast might be good for GIANT, lol. Do you have a loaf of French bread? No tomatoes? Use some spaghetti sauce instead. Wait a minute -- order pizza! Or make it.

LOL1 I can barely watch that scene,though, ha!

I once worked at a famous pizza establishment in Chicago. I had the late night shift. You wouldn't believe the things running around there, and I'm talking about the human beings.

Frank Morgan's succulent description of the holiday restaurant meal he's going to share with young Rudy in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER

OH how could I have put What About Bob ahead of THAT one.. I think I will revise my statement..ha and say that THIS is my most favorite food moment in a movie..ha. And what makes it so fun is that you never even SEE the food. But just the way he describes it... OH my golly. If ever I am alone in Budapest on Christmas Eve.. would that I found myself bumping into Mr. Matuschek just before supper time.. ha.

When I see Claudette Colbert nibbling on carrots in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, I almost pass out

And yet I suddenly also crave the carrot..ha.

PS: Miss Scotchie.. I still bet even with only a couple of semesters, you walked away with some mighty fine new cooking skills and recipes! Ha.. lets go on Iron Chef America and I will be your sous chef.. ha. I don't have too many cooking skills to add to your team, but oh just to be there.. (if only so I can meet Alton Brown and Bobby..ha) :D

I'll tell you what makes me salivate: Frank Morgan's succulent description of the holiday restaurant meal he's going to share with young Rudy in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER.

Oh my goodness, me too!!! We don't even see it but it conjurs such a delicious repast I get faint thinking of it.

I must run out and buy potato chips and a bottle of champagne to dunk them in after I watch THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

Again, me too! It's actually not bad! :D

I have to have both a liverwurst AND a chicken sandwich during CHARADE. Same thing with DESK SET.

I love that Audrey's character is constantly hungry and eating.

a kind of "relish" or condiment made from red onions and tomatoes

OH my golly, I love red onions.. AND cilantro.. and tomatoes.. ha.. (ever since I got over my tomato phobia.. ha.. you know the story.. maybe I will post that here someday..ha)

I bet your relish would be DELISH over a grilled chicken breast and salad greens.. (oh goodness me, I Iove to find new toppings for my chicken like that) With some crusty bread on the side.. did I mention OH goodness me..

PS. Bronxie.. the kidling's favorite way to do homemade pizza is some open faced hamburger buns w/ sauce, cheese, and pepperoni..ha. 15 minutes total for assembly/bake time.. and supper is served. Ha. (and if you use foil on the pans.. and disposable dishes.. cleanup is hardly even noticeable too! (did I mention I was a "lazy" cook??) ha

OH..and Texas Toast and Giant..HA! Thanks for the kick in the pants, yougun. I DID plan to try and get to that one today.. and look how distracted I let myself get..ha. I am off to go pull out the DVD even as we speak.

Hmmmm.. lets see.. supper tonight was already planned w/ the potatoes and pork roast.. but lunch tomorrow with the grilled cheese (Texas Toast style) Raspberry gelee for dessert (if ever I go buy some rosewater)

Keep those ideas coming folks and I won't have to plan any meals for myself for days and weeks to come!! :D

Oh my gosh Ro, "Rudy Swoons" -- so clever! And did you notice how Frank Morgan's accent becomes more pronounced with each food item? (especially "cucumber salad")

Peter was so cruel to Ellen, not even letting her go into the diner for a burger or some ham and eggs. I would have dropped the bunch of carrots on his head and run into the place, screaming for food.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 15, 2011 5:54 PM

Oops, sorry, ro, I guess I'm so weak with hunger right now that I forgot it was you who posted the Rudy Swoons YouTube vid, ha! (I just now was finally able to edit that post and put your name in) Whenever I watch that scene, with the snow cozily swirling about the picturesque Budapest street, I always want to visit there on Christmas Eve and have that meal.

Your kidlet's "pizza" sounds absolutely delish!

I'm lazy tonight, think I'll take my own advice and call up for a medium pie, chock full of pepperoni, fresh garlic, anchovies, sausage, meatballs, and extra cheese.

With a Diet Coke to wash it all down and make the calories disappear.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 15, 2011 5:55 PM

Nothing better on New Year's Eve than Ruffles potato chips wetted by a little champagne. Not enough of course to get them soggy. Elegant and flavorful!

Yes, the running joke in CHARADE is the more nervous Audrey becomes, the more she eats, and never gains a pound. Friend Sylvie is jealous. Me too, lol.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 15, 2011 5:52 PM

Jake's Chili...

1 lb. ground beef

1 cup chopped onion

1 minced garlic clove

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 16 oz can red kidney or pinto beans

2 cups water

1 cup ketchup

Brown ground beef, onion and garlic. Add chili powder, salt, beans, water and ketchup. Cover and simmer 1 - 4 hours. Thickens as it cooks.

I use a crock pot, too and all I do is brown the beef and throw in the rest of the ingredients. Let it cook 6 to 8 hours on low.

Jake in the Heartland