Sign in to follow this  
rohanaka

TCM Family Recipes

405 posts in this topic

Hi Jake.. thanks for the Chili recipe! Woo hoo.. It's the perfect time of year for a fine pot of chili.

My own recipe is pretty similar to yours except I use one can tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes in place of most of the water (I usually use the tomato sauce can and add about a half a can of water along w/ the sauce) .

I also like to have mine with chopped onion, grated cheese and a spoonful of sour cream all on top.

The QT is more of a "purist" though.. he likes me to leave out the tomatoes and sauce and make it more like your recipe.. so we take turns, ha. Sometimes it is QT-style chili..and sometimes it is for me..ha.

Another good variation I will also make is to use refried beans so it is extra thick.. then serve it w/ hotdogs for chilidogs. (stays on the bun better that way!! ha.. there's a method to my chili making madness! ha) :-)

Thanks for stopping by the kitchen!

PS: Bronxie.. how was the pizza?????? :-)

Edited by: rohanaka on Oct 15, 2011 10:04 PM

*Another good variation I will also make is to use refried beans so it is extra thick.. then serve it w/ hotdogs for chilidogs. (stays on the bun better that way!! ha.. there's a method to my chili making madness! ha)* :-)

That's not a bad idea. What I'll do is take a couple of dogs, (using Oscar Meyer, Ball Park or one of those Jewish brands like Hebrew National), put them in a couple of buns with the condiments I want and then take the chili and pour it over the dressed dogs in a bun. Pick up a fork and have at it.

Good eatin'...

You have a good day Miss RO.

Jake

Kathy!

PS: Miss Scotchie.. I still bet even with only a couple of semesters, you walked away with some mighty fine new cooking skills and recipes! Ha.. lets go on Iron Chef America and I will be your sous chef.. ha. I don't have too many cooking skills to add to your team, but oh just to be there.. (if only so I can meet Alton Brown and Bobby..ha) :D

Heehee! I wish! This guy at my church is from Louisianna and I told him that I am half cajun, bause my grandmama and grandpapa are from there and we got into this whole debate on who could cook crawfish ettouffee better, so we decided to have an actual Iron Chef competition within our group with the two of us battling crawfish.,.but he knows Paula Deen personally and has actualy finished cooking school. I have met Rachel Ray like 4 times, so i playfully rubbed that in his face, but he still laughs at me, so i am really nervous about this little battle, but i have faith in my ettouffee! :D he just loves picking on me and rubbing stuff in my face about his acomplishments....its a really good thing we are good friends! Heehee!

Bronxie!

Yes, the running joke in CHARADE is the more nervous Audrey becomes, the more she eats, and never gains a pound. Friend Sylvie is jealous. Me too, lol.

Can we all be like Audrey in this sense? Just eat whatever we want and never gain any weight? Sounds like an utterly delightful way of living.....more strawberry shortcake in that case!

I watched Audrey in LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON this morning on TCM and when you see those waiters roll in all those carts full of suckling delectable foods and cakes when "Fascinaton" is playing. Oh Gary, a la carte is definitely on the way to winning the heart of a girl.

i have faith in my ettouffee

Me too, little gal!!! Go get 'em!! ha. You'll have to tell me how it goes! (wouldn't it be awesome if Paula and Rachel stopped by to do the judging????? ha.)

PS: Jake.. you sound like a guy who really knows his hotdogs!!!

PS: Eugenia..... LOVED it.. ha. I always get the biggest kick out of that bit w/ Katherine Hepburn fixing breakfast in her fur coat. I bet I would be as lost as she was w/ all those "modern" cooking gadgets that were used back in that day.

(And hey..Little Scotchie was that you I saw in the cookie school clips from Sabrina???)

PS Jackie.. TOO sweet.. That is one I have not seen before, I will have to check it out.. but OH my golly.. forget the dancing.. bring on the Lobster Cardinale!! ha (that all sounded delish!) And I'll mix the dressing for crying out loud!! ha... let's just get the food on the table!! :D

Here is a clip I thought of even for just for the briefest moment while watching your clip.. another lovely scene w/ a table for two: (Ah.. romance.. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrl844rONx0&feature=related

*CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW THREAD RO.*

:D I see it's going like gang busters. :D

Now...I don't cook. And that's probably my romantic downfall. Oh, I can boil water...but I have a couple of burnt pots that would probably beg to differ. I like to eat though. And I like to eat out. And that is probably my romantic downfall as well. Maybe I can offer up things I've eaten when I go out.

*Sunday Brunch in Brooklyn*: ( *BAR TANO in Gowanus* ) Two poached eggs over spinach, prosciutto and mushrooms. Home fries and flat bread included.

IMG_1230.jpg

If I get adventurous and experimental I might try the combination of scalloped potatoes you and Miss G. submitted recipes for. So tell me, where do I find a scallop and who can slice 'em for me?

LOL! I can barely watch that scene,though, ha!

But its so funny! :D OOOOOH I love that scene from The Farmer's Daughter where Loretta Young makes Joey Cotton that alcoholic drink after he falls in the frozen lake....it just makes me wonder what's in it.

I once worked at a famous pizza establishment in Chicago. I had the late night shift. You wouldn't believe the things running around there, and I'm talking about the human beings.

Oh I bet that was fun! What kind of people? should i ask? Heehee!

I don't think I can convince Rohanaka to add smell-0-vision to this thread so we'd better make do with pictures, recipes and YouTube-food related movie clips.

Thanks for the well wishes, Miss Maven!! (and OH me.. thank you for the lovely brunch pic as well.. GOOD golly, ma'am.. you do know how to do brunch right!! )

can boil water...but I have a couple of burnt pots that would probably beg to differ. I like to eat though. And I like to eat out. And that is probably my romantic downfall as well. Maybe I can offer up things I've eaten when I go out.

Absolutely.. give me a taste of NYC.. ha. even if it is only a "pictoral" one. ha. Your knack for vivid descriptions will help me to feel like I am there.. even if I am still way out here in the midwest.. where we DO have fine dining now and then as well.. but still nothing on the scale that you East Coasters likely enjoy.. I will look forward to your posts as you are able.

If I get adventurous and experimental I might try the combination of scalloped potatoes you and Miss G. submitted recipes for

OH me.. jumping in w/ both feet, I see. ha. It IS a pretty simple recipe, little gal, so I know you can do it little missy.. (but as to the scallops being sliced..ha. Well, that is a whole other recipe!!) ha. :D

In the meantime.. here is a "sweet" and simple recipe for you to try.. this one is EASY.. even for a "pot burner".. ha. It only has three ingredients.! (really!!) (OH, and ps.. no shame in burning a pot, kiddo.. I have burned a few pots in my day as well and I have been cooking since I was 8 years old.. and believe me.. that was a LOOOOONNGGGG long time ago.. ha) :D

Anyway.. this one is a tried and true Peanut Butter Cookie recipe.. because every so often.. a little something sweet is always in order.(and did I mention how EASY it was??)

My much beloved (though now dearly departed) Grandma taught me how to make these.. and when she first told me about them, I had to bake them to believe them.. (because seriously.. three ingredients... NO kidding!!)

Oh..and PS: I have called these cookies about everything under the sun, ha.. Peanut Butter Cookies just sounds so "boring" ha.. but here I will call them "Old Lady's Cookies. because that was my pet name for her. Practically all my life.. the minute I'd see her. I"d holler.. "Hey, you old lady" ha.. .and she'd bust out laughing..and holler back.. "Hey you old lady too!"

Oh me. I do miss that old gal.. :-)

Anyway.. without further eloquence (ha) I present for your baking pleasure..

*THE OLD LADY'S REALLY EASY TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES*

*1 Cup Peanut Butter ... crunchy OR smooth.. but NO low-fat.. it doesnt' work.. I tried it.. alas*

*1 Cup Sugar.... plus 3 Tablespoons measured out separately in a small bowl*

*1 Egg... slightly beaten*

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.. Still all ingredients (except the 3 TBS of sugar) together in a mixing bowl until completely combined. Roll mixture into small balls (about the size of a small walnut.. I usually just take a teaspoon and scoop up a dollop and then roll it into a ball) then drop balls into the small bowl of sugar and roll until well coated. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. LIGHTLY press each cookie with a fork (to flatten slightly.. do NOT flatten all the way.. just a little "punch down" is all you want) and then make a criss cross pattern witht the fork.. if you want a criss cross pattern, that is.. If not. just lightly press w/ the palm of your hand to flatten the ball a little instead.. one way is as good as the other.*

*Bake for 8-10 minutes and then remove from heat.. leave cookies to cool ON the cookie sheet.. they will come out very soft, but firm up as the cool.*

Here are a couple of simple "variations" you can try as well: You can "fancy" them up by using a small spoon to flatten them (instead of a fork) and make a very small crater in them before baking..then add melted chocolate almond bark to the "crater" after they bake (the chocolate will set up as the cookie cools) OR you can also add a spoonful of your favorite jam or jelly in the "crater" after the cookie has cooled completly.. to make a "PBJ" cookie.

Usually. though.. we just eat them "straight up" ha.. Peanut Butter Cookies are pretty good just all on their own.. or at least that is the consensus around here anyway.. Enjoy!! :D

Nice scalloped potatoes recipes. Years ago, I had no trouble making them. I think potatoes are genetically engineered now to remain hard as a rock after 2.5 hours in my oven. I've lowered myself to buying boxed scalloped potatoes. :-)

My chili:

1 lb ground beef

1 large onion, chopped fine

2 tbs cumin

1 to 1 1/2 tbs extra hot New Mexico chile powder

1 tbs Ancho chile powder

1 tsp Chipotle chile powder

1 tsp black pepper

Salt to taste

1 can drained pinto beans optional

Brown the ground beef in 6-quart heavy-bottomed pan, breaking up into miniscule particles , then add onions and continue browning. Add next 6 ingredients and continue cooking for 1 minute more. Cover with 2 to 3 inches water, heat to boiling, reduce heat to medium, add beans if you like, and cook for two hours or so until reduced to perfection. Any attempt to sneak in tomatoes or tomato products will get you booted out of my kitchen. ;-) Sorry, I was raised in New Mexico and Texas.

Serve with a dairy product if you can't take the heat. :-) It's really not that hot. My mom used to make it so hot I refused to eat it until I was in my 20's.

Edited by: smileys on Oct 18, 2011 10:25 PM, too little sleep when I wrote this last night

Okay, here's my recipe for the quickest snack you can make, while a TCM movie is playing, and not miss much. It's quickie quesadillas.

Take three, or four corn tortillas, and spread them out on a dinner plate. Only three will fit on most plates.

Put a slice of Munster cheese on each. If you want to be authentic, you can use queso fresco, or Chihuahua cheese. (Do you know how many chihuahuas they have to milk to make a pound?)

Spread chili powder liberally on the cheese. (I make my own chili powder, cleaning and grinding together five varieties of dried chilis - ancho, negro, mulatto, guajillo, and chipotle.)

Spread a little chopped onion on the cheese. You can add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce, if you like.

Place another slice of cheese on top of each.

Place in microwave for about four minutes. (In mine, it's 4. You just want the cheese well melted.)

Remove, fold them over, and eat!

Yummy, in about 7 minutes, if you have the ingredients handy. Do it while they're talking in the movie, and there isn't much action.

Wow! I am going to have to try tomato-less chili, Smileys! My husband is a chili nut. He likes all different versions, and is constantly bringing home recipes for me to make. My usual recipe is loaded with cupboard spices to make up for the lack of different chilis -

Chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, hot paprika, cayenne, and jalapenos.

I'll have to order the different chilis... Here in SE Connecticut they are too staid and pent up to carry these kinds of peppery, smoky flavored, exciting items in the grocery store.

Someone opened up a real Mexican (not Tex Mex) restaurant here a year or so ago, it was wonderful..but alas it closed... no business. Their seviche was to die for.

Edited by: JackFavell on Oct 18, 2011 9:42 AM

I have a problem with my favorite recipes because quark is not available here. I have tried using Ricotta cheese. It works well in some recipes and not in others.

I use mostly large-curd cottage cheese which I drain in a sieve in the refrigerator overnight.

*Lazy Vareniki*

1/2 pound cheese

1 beaten egg

1/2 cup flour

1 pinch powdered ginger

Mix all ingredients.

Form into small balls and flatten them.

Put into boiling water for two to three minutes until they come to the surface.

Serve with cold sour cream.

*Syrniki*

1 lb cheese

2 beaten eggs

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons sour cream

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind

4 tablespoons flour

Pinch of salt

Cinnamon, sugar and sour cream

Put cheese through fine sieve.

Add sugar, eggs, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon rind, and salt. Mix very thoroughly.

Add flour by teaspoonfuls while mixing constantly.

Place in refrigerator for an hour.

Form into balls and flatten them so they are three-quarters of an inch thick and two inches in diameter.

Fry on both sides in butter.

Sprinkle with mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Serve with cold sour cream.

There are many variations of these. Some people put raisins or dried cherries in them.

I hope you enjoy them.

This reminds me of William Powell and that I still have not tried to make these wonderful recipes, Sansfin! Thanks for posting them here....I need the reminder.

At this rate, I won't get to them before Powell is SOTM...

Movie:

The Devil and Miss Jones

Recipe:

*Tuna Popovers and Deviled Eggs*

*Tuna Popovers*

Tuna Popovers are sure to win your favorite grumpy, charming even with a few pounds, millionaire curmudgeon. I have tried to watch the salt and fat in this recipe.

Mix in small bowl:

5-6oz can of tuna in spring water

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 Tsp chopped green olive

If you're a fan of green pepper, you can add a 1/4 cup too without a problem.

Blend together:

1 tsp Grey Poupon Mustard

1/3 cup light mayo (add a Tsp if adding extra ingredients)

Mix it together and chill while you make the popovers.

Once out of the oven, fill popovers with tuna mixture,

Add a slice of Roma tomato and some shredded lettuce. Serve immediately.

*Deviled Eggs*

Most likely very similar to everyone's

Eggs in a SS saucepan, cover 1" over their shell with very cold water.

Bring to a rapid boil uncovered. The moment the water is boiling, remove pan from heat, cover and let the pan sit for 22 minutes. After 22 minutes, stop cooking by draining hot water and filling with very cold again.

Filling:

Egg yolk smashed with a fork

Blend with equal amount of Light Miracle Whip

1/2 - 1 tsp of Grey Poupon depending on making 4 or 8 eggs

2 - 4 drops Tabasco depending on 4 - 8.

Light sprinkle of Hungarian paprika once assembled

Chill before serving. I always bring home an empty plate..

Edited by: casablancalover on Oct 18, 2011 3:00 PM

*Here in SE Connecticut they are too staid and pent up to carry these kinds of peppery, smoky flavored, exciting items in the grocery store.* - JackFavell

I looked at my Penzeys catalog. They have a retail store in Hartford. They have Ancho and Chipotle powder. San Francisco Herb Company also sells them in one-pound bags through mail order. I occasionally find the extra hot New Mexico powder at a grocery store with West Texas roots. I knock over little old ladies to get to it before they do. You can store large amounts in a sealed bag in the freezer. I'm getting too old and/or grouchy to travel to New Mexico to get it.

Here is an illustrated recipe for tvorozhniki which is similar to the syrniki recipe I gave. This one does not require the batter to sit in the refrigerator so it is faster to make:

http://www.russianseason.net/index.php/2009/09/tvorozhniki/

These are fast and simple foods. With the cheese and sugar and mild seasonings they are wonderful comfort foods.

They are best served hot. Tvorozhniki is also wonderful cold if dipped in chocolate!

Hiya Miss Applegate,

I am truly enjoying this thread

Me too.. I am so glad to see so many interesting recipes and find so many fun ideas and food clips.

Babette's Feast, anyone

GOOD golly that was some meal.. my goodness me what she was preparing was indeed a feast (even for the eyes, if not the tummy.. because alas.. I was with the good general right up to the part where he started nibbling on the little birdy's head.. HA! My palate is not that sophisticated, I fear.) :D

Smileys.. that is SOME chili recipe.. ha. (I will NOT be telling my husband what you said about tomatoes.. HA!!) But wow.. those chilis sound intriguing. I would likely have to have sour cream AND cheese to cool it down a bit.. but I bet the smokiness w/ the heat is worth it.

Val X.. love the quesadillas.. I make a similar one only minus the onion and heat.. w/ cheddar jack cheese and sliced tomatoes (ha.. don't tell Smileys) for my daughter (she tends to not handle the spice too well) I usually put them in the oven.. but microwave IS much faster I agree.. and when a good movie is on.. speed matters.

Sans Fin.. I am inspired by the recipes you posted.. cheese is a WONDERFUL food.. though I confess I am not as familiar w/ the different varities as it appears you are (so Ricotta would not be so hard for me to accept ha) and I do love ricotta. I will have to do some more investigating. We have some family friends who spent some time over in the Ukraine and they have prepared a few recipes for us from time to time.. I will have to ask them if they have ever made any of the ones you listed.

cblover.. I had forgotton all about the tuna popovers. I would never have thought "tuna" and "popover" in the same meal.. but everytime I see that movie.. it acutally sounds like it SHOULD be good.. so it always makes me wonder..ha.

And ps.. love the deviled eggs. They can be a bit time consuming (just peeling enough eggs for everyone, etc) But OH me... how I do enjoy them. Alas they are a rare treat though. For some reason I only seem to have them at big family gatherings (like Christmas, Fourth of July, etc) And boy do they go fast.. they are almost like an endangered species around our extended crowd .. ha. By the time you get all the brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc together, they do not last long.

Thanks for stopping by the kitchen, everybody!!!

Yummy fun, and a great idea for a thread, Rohanaka!

Glad you liked the link to Babette's feast!

Maybe I'll drop by tomorrow for a cup of cappuccino and reveal my favorite salsa recipe...

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Val X.. love the quesadillas.. I make a similar one only minus the onion and heat.. w/ cheddar jack cheese and sliced tomatoes (ha.. don't tell Smileys) for my daughter (she tends to not handle the spice too well) I usually put them in the oven.. but microwave IS much faster I agree.. and when a good movie is on.. speed matters.

>

Yes, in the oven is definitely better. I do use the micro for speed, while a film is running. A warm griddle, or comal, is traditional, and best, but not common in most kitchens. I also like to slice up leftover stuff, and add it to the quesadillas. Steak is great, shrimp is fine, slices of left over broiled swordfish - the best!

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> I am not as familiar w/ the different varities as it appears you are

I have found quark and farmers cheese in large cities with a diverse population. It is sad to say that I do not live is such a place. What is needed is a cheese which does not have whey to dilute the batter while it is so loose and smooth it will form a batter. I have found I can use cream cheese for cheesecake recipes even although it is not so loose it can be used for tvorozhniki or vatrushki.

You may find many wonderful recipes by doing a Google search for tvorozhniki, syrniki, vatrushki or oladyi. They are all simple family foods.