Sign in to follow this  
rohanaka

TCM Family Recipes

405 posts in this topic

These are wonderful whether they are hot or cold.

*Tea Eggs*

2 dozen Grade B eggs

4 tablespoons salt

3 tablespoons light soy sauce

2 whole star anise

4 bags of black tea

Wash eggs and puncture the wide end with a pin. Lower eggs into six cups of boiling water. Turn heat down to simmer. Simmer five minutes. Place pot under cold running water until eggs are so cool you can handle them.

Gently tap each egg with the back of a spoon to create a network of fine cracks all over them.

Put eggs in pot and cover with cold water. Add all seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer covered one and a half to two hours.

Remove eggs and tea bags. Adjust brine with soy sauce so it is slightly salty and it has a subtle aroma of star anise.

Shell the eggs and soak in brine for one half of an hour.

Cut eggs into quarters or slice thickly and spoon sauce over yolks.

To serve them warm put them into brine before slicing and bring to a low boil. Carefully quarter them while still hot and spoon brine over yolks.

These are Chinese. I hope you enjoy them.

Wow.. I never heard of such a thing.. sounds like an investment (time-wise) but I bet it has such an interesting flavor it would be worth it.

I believed they would be very much like rubber for being boiled so long. I found they are very delicate.

I wondered about making so many at a time. They keep well in the refrigerator at least three days. I can not say if they could last longer because I have never had them stay longer.

wpid-1274425050228.jpg

An interesting variation for making fewer is at:

http://steamykitchen.com/2147-chinese-tea-eggs-recipe.html

I posted this in another thread. I repeat it here to keep things cohesive:

*Pocket Eggs*

2 tablespoons oil

4 eggs

Salt

Sauce:

1.5 tablespoons light soy sauce

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Add all sauce ingredients together and stir until sugar is dissolved.

Heat a large skillet until very hot. Add oil. Swirl and heat until very hot.

Pour out and reserve 1/2 tablespoon oil.

Lower heat slightly. Break eggs into the pan and fry one minute until whites are set around the edges and the bottoms are light brown. Sprinkle yolks with salt.

Use a spatula to fold over each egg into crescent shape and press edge slightly with spatula until it is sealed.

Fry for half a minute.

Return reserved oil to pan. Flip the eggs and fry for another half a minute.

Turn heat to high. Stir the sauce. Splash it over the eggs with one hand and clamp on the skillet's lid with the other hand.

Take skillet off the heat immediately and swirl until sizzle stops.

Serve hot.

These are a wonderful combination of sweet and sour and soft and crunchy. They may sound complicated but are quite easy to master.

Happy eating!

IMG_1570.jpg

The taste and texture and relative ease looks like something even I could make SansFin. So far, I bought the ingredients to the first recipe on this thread. Now to get my butt into the kitchen to prepare it.

It'd be soooooo much easier if you all would just make the delicious foods you've listed here and send it to:

Ms. Cine Maven

623 East 68th Street

New York, New York 10025

Thanxxx. And Yummmmmeeeeeeee!

> CineMaven wrote:

> *It'd be soooooo much easier if you all would just make the delicious foods you've listed here and send it to:*

I would be very happy to do so if I could. It is sad to say there are currently five hundred and ten users on this forum at this moment and I could not hope to make enough for all. ;)

I can assure you that Capuchin is not a monk!

> *Sans Fin* *writes:* *"I would be very happy to do so if I could. It is sad to say there are currently five hundred and ten users on this forum at this moment and I could not hope to make enough for all."*

Now see, THAT could have been OUR little secret. Darn it!

> *"I can assure you that Capuchin is not a monk!"*

Yes, I remember your tale. (When I passed that monastery, which is across the street from Madison Square Garden, I immediately thought of you and couldn't resist sending you the pix I took).

Rosemary Chicken

4 chicken breasts, boned and cut into 1/2" strips

3 tbls oil

1/2 cup red and green peppers, chopped

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

1 glove of garlic, minced

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 tsp chives, minced

1 tbls dried rosemary, crushed, or 2 tbls fresh, minced

1/2 cup sherry

Brown the chicken in oil, set aside.

Saute peppers, onion, and garlic 5 minutes.

Add salt, pepper, chives, and rosemary.

Return chicken to pan and stir to thoroughly coat.

Add sherry, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.

Put chicken on a bed of rice, drizzle with some of the cooking liquid.

Hi rohanaka -

I found this on the web. Hope you all will be able to read the text... I'll type it out if it looks too small.

That's about all I can contribute to this thread, though. My main cooking staple is the microwave oven! ;)

352kvnt.jpg

Hiya folks.. sorry to be a slacker.. I hate starting threads and not being able to follow up on them. But glad to see the recipes! Wish I had time to comment more but will just have to say Thanks to SF, Capuchin, and Eugenia. (Oh, and ps: Eugenia.. cream cheese is a staple around here.. ha.. gotta love it that Barbara loved it too)

CBlover.. I have never tried Maple Syrup pie but I wonder if it is similar to a brown sugar pie. (I have not baked one in a VERY long time but here is a recipe I found online that is close to the one I used to make.)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/brown-sugar-pie-i/detail.aspx

I did not look, but I bet they have a Maple Syrup one on that site too.. They have oodles of a great recipes.. and usually a variety of DIFFERENT takes on each recipe.) Happy hunting..

Thanks for dropping by the kitchen, folks!!

I am sorry to say I do not have a recipe for *Maple Syrup Pie*

I do have many recipes from several cultures. I have access also to a shelf of cookbooks which are far from mainstream.

Please ask if you want a new thing to cook.

Thanks, I am familiar with allcooks.com.

Another great site is epicurious.com, where circumstance would have it, actually has the photo I had posted earlier! It must be fate! I am in the process of moving, packing boxes and all, but hope to try the recipe around Thanksgiving time.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Maple-Syrup-Pie-102529

I think it's a month late, forgive me, but

h3. *Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends here!*

Hmmm.. cooler weather puts me in the mood for a little comfort food. And for whatever reason, my thoughts have turned to cheesecake this weekend..

But alas it has been a GOOD long while since I made any, and my tried and true recipe (for easy raspberry cheesecake) is gone, GONE I say.. alas.

I have searched high and low.. but no sign of it to be found. (did I mention alas??)

But aint the internet grand.. because I DID manage to find a VERY similar recipe to mine online. and although I have not tried this one, going strictly from memory, it is pretty close to the recipe I have made before.

However.. I seem to recall the one I do being a bigger recipe.. that made two cheesecakes) but I bet all you'd have to do is double this one..

At any rate.. I love this cheesecake because it does not take too long to mix or bake.. and the crust is already made (if you use the storebought one) so no "spring form" pan is needed.. because hey.. I don't HAVE a spring form pan.. and likely would not even know how to use one if I did!! ha. (did I ever mention I am NOT a fancy cook?? ha)

But I do love a good cheesecake.

And although I am sure this is not up to any gourmet standards... any time I have ever made this and brought it w/ me to a family gathering or party.. I always go home w/out it.. (because all that was left was the foil pan the piecrust came in) ha.

Enjoy..

RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP CHEESECAKE

6 ounces of cream cheese (softened)

1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

3 Tbs lemon juice

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

1 C frozen Raspberries

1/2 C chocolate chips (minis work really good for this recipe)

1 chocolate cookie or graham cracker crumb crust (PS: premade ones work fine, or you can crush your own and melt a little butter to add to it, then press into bottom of a pie pan)

Beat cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla together in mixing bowl until smooth. Add egg; beat on low until mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.

Sprinkle raspberries on bottom of pie crust, and pour cheesecake mixture over top of them.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 min or until set. Cool completely before serving.

Hi Rohanaka . . .

I think this is a Wonderful and 'Delicious' thread you've started. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the recipes I've seen here so far, especially your 'Family-style Scalloped Potatoes'. I can bring this dish to our Thanksgiving Table and I know my family will love it. And I love the portrait of the 'Down-to-earth' Jane Darwell with hearty foods simmering in her Pots and Pans, no doubt.

And how quick and simple is the 'Old Lady's Peanut Butter Cookies' ? ... Awesome ! We all love peanut butter here and I'm looking forward to surprising my family with this treat. :)

And I Love the 'Romantic / Spaghetti' scene in Disney's, 'Lady and the Tramp'. They just 'slurp' up those strands and it sounds so delicious ! It reminds me of another 'spaghetti' scenerio with Shirley Temple in, 'Poor Little Rich Girl'. Shirley plays a Rich Girl who is suddenly alone & 'stranded' on the city street. She is befriended by an 'Organ Grinder' who takes her in to stay with his family. Papa, Mama and all the bambinos sit around a huge round table where they all 'relish' on their 'hearty' supper of spaghetti.

The Spaghetti scene starts @ 5:00

http://youtu.be/4aMjyv-BuDo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlIXYNN2wB1US43K03lj7

Edited by: ugaarte on Nov 22, 2011 6:27 PM

I have found this recipe on the Internet.

Christmas Cake

1 cup of water

1 cup of sugar

4 large brown eggs

2 cups of dried fruit

1 teaspoon of salt

1 cup of brown sugar

Lemon juice

Nuts

1 bottle of whiskey

Sample the whiskey to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whiskey is still OK. Cry another tup. Tune up the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried

fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it goose with a drewscriver.

Sample the wishkey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the wishki. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon the sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the wiski again and go to bed.

Butterscotchgreer, your 'gelee' dessert sounds so 'delicate and refined' . . .

especially with the *Sparkling Wine* and *Rose Water !* And I think you have the right idea,

to serve it in a Wine Glasses . . . I think that's what the 'moment' calls for. :)

When I read about the *Rose Water,* which I've never had, it brought to mind the Movie,

*'Like Water for* *Chocolate'*, where Tita prepares Quail with the *Rose* Petals her lover has

given to her. She is able to effect the people around her by the food she prepares, due to

her strong emotions which are infused into her love of cooking. :x

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS1yggQEya06nL2INJibV

Edited by: ugaarte on Nov 22, 2011 7:23 PM

SanFin . . .

You certainly had me going !

I was going down the list thinking, "Where is the Flour, to hold it together ?" . . . and then I read l bottle of Whiskey . . .and I thought, "Oooo...Kayyyy !" :|

But when your first instruction read to 'sample the whiskey to check for quality' ... I thought again, "I don't know anything about the quality of whiskey." ?:|

At the same time, my son was reading it, over my shoulder, and then it started getting funnier and funnier . . . we were laughing so hard, we had tears in our eyes ! :^0

Thanks Much for the Rich 'Holiday' Humor ! ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKPdSjTYLrj41Cbf1ENeV

Hi Eugenia . . .

That was a Great Video Clip of, *'Cooking Session with Clasic Movie Stars !'*

**And I love that movie, 'Sabrina' with Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart and William Holden . . .

(and also the remake with Julia Ormond, Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear. Both movies made a lasting impression on me.) But I thought Audrey Hepburn did a Fantastic job trying out her hand in studying in the Culinary Arts . . . and working her way through to Learn to 'Cook' ! :D

SueSueApplegate . . .

I totally enjoyed the movie, 'Babette's Feast' ! The Food that she prepared was so Mouth-watering.

But I always felt that her talents were wasted on a community of people who were too self-contained and overly pious. I certainly felt sorry for that Captain or General who was flabbergasted by the exquisite meal and drink that was served before him, when he'd try to express his sheer delight in all that he was experiencing, with the others, they would be very evasive and elusive and steer away from his comments. I always felt bad for him because he was left very much alone, with a desire to express his enjoyment but no one to share it with. I had always wished that he would have insisted on meeting the Chef to show his appreciation of what he just partook. :)

ValentineXavier . . .

Thank you for your recipe for 'quick' Quesadillas !

I don't know why I didn't think of putting them in the microwave.

I would always fry them in a little bit of oil, until they were pliable and put cheese on them,

and then fold them over and place them on a paper towel . . . But they always felt too oily,

and I never seemed to be able to avoid that. My brother would prepare them the same

way, but his always came out with a light crispiness and never oily.

But now, I'm going to try the microwave and see if I fare better there.

Thanks again ! :D

Hi All . . .

Another movie that I've always found Delightful and Enchanting was,* 'Chocolat' (2000)* with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. It had an 'Old World' European feel to it but not surprisingly though, since it takes place in France. And Juliette Binoch does a fantastic job leading a somewhat 'Bohemian' lifestyle, openning up her own business, preparing, what else ? *.... Chocolat ! . . . and* winning the Hearts of Many with her Rich Chocolat delicacies.

But to watch her prepare all those delectable treats she undertakes is truly fulfilling and comforting . . . and mouth-watering, too ! :x

http://youtu.be/2tasemnJ_uA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsle5Wj27DYKQl6O7xv1eimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPMroMhZMIGtfd5x3qglQ