Sign in to follow this  
rohanaka

TCM Family Recipes

405 posts in this topic

Hi SansFin . . .

I enjoyed that little Cartoon . . . though I didn't understand what was being said, I loved the animation (pixar ?) . . . kashu ! kashu ! kashu ! . . . she reminded me of my cat ... I always have to have my son to put Mr. Lucky, our cat, into his room, while I prepare my recipes. He's always tries to get 'underfoot' ...

And your Apple Pie looks so EASY ... my favorite kind of Recipes ... the 'Easy' kind ! and Apples are in 'Bounty' this time of year. It sounds Great !

-------------------------------------------------------------------

JackFavell . . .

Your Beef Stroganoff sounds so 'Hearty' for this time of year and I can hardly wait to try my hands on that dish

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and Wouldbestar . . .

Trying to keep my cat from 'underfoot' is one thing ... But my sons ... I'll have to deal with them to stay out of my way with this Recipe ... They LOVE Bacon . . . and Cheese ! And 'Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf' ? ... Whoa ... They'll 'clean-up' the dish before I have a chance to set it down ! They will absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing !

P. S. Does anyone have a 'simple' Recipe for 'Borscht Soup' (Beet Soup, I believe) ! I LOVE BEETs !

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> I enjoyed that little Cartoon . . . though I didn't understand what was being said, I loved the animation (pixar ?)

It is an animation studio in Russia. I do not know the name in Latin letters.

> kashu ! kashu ! kashu !

She is calling for 'porridge'. It is каша.

There is another episode where she cooks while Bear is out. I will try to find it if any person is interested.

> And your Apple Pie looks so EASY

I felt it was only fair to post a recipe for apple pie if an American posted one for beef Stroganoff. :)

OH my golly, its been a busy week and now I am just too far behind in here to catch up again.. alas. Glad to see some new recipes (and some more old favorites) in the kitchen...

LPC.. I used to practically live on those no bake cookies when I lived in this one apartment I had lonnnnnggg ago.. the oven thermostat was broken and I could only do "nobake" everything (or microwave) Those cookies helped get me through many a "chocolate attack)

SF.. I need to go back and look at your apple pie recipe a bit closer as all I had time to do was a quick scan.. but I am w/ you.. bring on the refrigerator pie crusts (did I ever mention I was a lazy cook??) :D

wbs.. I DO love my meatloaf.. but OH.. with cheese! (who'da thunk it??) Will have to check that one out a bit closer too.

Jackie... OH me.. I love Stroganoff. and I have been SUCH a lazy cook for so many years. .mine has more of a 'hamburger helper" flair to it. even if I am not using "Hamburger Helper" ha. STEAK??? ha.. I have been using hamburger and brown gravy mix w sourcream (oh.. along w/ my beloved cream of mushroom soup) instead of REALLY making that sauce for so long.. that I would likely go into TASTE BUD SENSORY OVERLOAD if I made it the real.. richer (and MUCH better) tasting way.. But you may have inspired me.. ha.. because sometimes it IS worth the extra effort, isn't it??

And and PS: Jackie and Ugaarte.. glad you liked the Pioneer Woman. I don't always read her blog. but she is entertaining and she DOES have some mighty interesting recipes now and then.

Oh..and PS some more. .ugaarte.. I love Pineapple upside down cake.. but I don't think in all my "cake adventures" I EVER tried to bake one. Thanks for the recipe.

And thanks everyone for stopping by the kitchen...

Edited by: rohanaka on Dec 1, 2011 11:42 PM

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:}Pineapple Upside Down Cake{font}{font:} is one of my favorite deserts and easy to make. The recipe below lacks one thing; maraschino cherry haves are placed in the center of the pineapple slices for color. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:} {font}{font:}The Jello Cake - officially known as The Duncan Hines Refrigerator Sheet Cake Cake - is from the 1970’s and was created by General Foods to sell Duncan Hines cake mixes, Cool Whip and Jello. I make it for church functions and it’s always a hit. You can interchange cake and Jello flavors-chocolate/cherry, carrot/orange or spice/pineapple to vary it. I do this also with the Bacardi Rum Cake using different cake, pudding and sugar combinations for cake and glaze then adding the best variety of rum to match. {font}

{font:} {font}{font:}Once you have the basic recipe down substituting is easy. Try using other veggie and soup combinations in The Green Bean Casserole and other seasonings besides soy sauce. If you can’t find the fried onions stuffing mix, especially cornbread, works well. I seem to remember it once called for two sliced eggs; I add two small cans of mushroom stems and pieces. Shredded cheese, leftover meat, or canned fish make it a one–dish meal. Hope this makes your holiday cooking easier. {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Dec 2, 2011 11:31 AM

I believe there is a Federal law that every family must have a recipe for chicken with rice. This is mine.

Chicken with Rice

2 cups white rice or 1 cup white rice and 1 cup brown rice

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 can French Onion Soup

1 can Cream of Asparagus or Cream of Celery Soup

Chicken thighs to cover

Dry onion soup mix

Put rice and canned soups into deep casserole. Mix thoroughly.

Place as many chicken thighs as you can so they cover the top and do not overlap.

Sprinkle on dry onion soup mix as thickly or thinly as you like.

Cover and bake at 275 degrees for three hours.

It is possible to use chicken breasts in addition to chicken thighs. Do not use only chicken breasts as this is a robust dish and they will seem completely tasteless and they will add nothing to the taste of the rice.

Edited by: SansFin on Dec 2, 2011 5:35 PM because I forgot to say it should be covered while baking.

Great Sounding Dish, SansFin . . .

This one I'm definately am going to try out . . .

And we're always buying chicken parts because it is so inexpensive . . .

Do you think a variety of parts can be used ? Sometimes I buy chicken legs or chicken wings by the bagful because it's so inexpensive.

But I know my Family will really take to this Recipe.

Thanks for Sharing !

Hi Wouldbestar . . .

Thanks for that 'Cherry' idea with the Pineapple Upside Down Cake ... I don't remember using them, but I think it would really ADD to the Appearance ... Thanks again !

Hey and I didn't know that that 'Jello Cake' went as far back as to the '70's ... that's when my first son was born . . . Whoa ! . . . I had gotten that Recipe off of Youtube. But I would LOVE to hear more about this 'Bacardi Rum' Cake. Sounds very Festive . . . and 'finger-lickin' good ! Now do you prepare a box of cake and add pudding to it ? ... and with the sugar, you would make the glaze ? ... do you add the Rum into the Glaze ... or just pour over the cake ... and if you do, how much ?

And for the Green Bean and Onion Casserole, my brother is the one who prepares it ... but next time he wants to embelish it by adding mushroom pieces into it, just as you had mentioned.

Thanks for responding, Wouldbestar ... and hope to hear more about that RUM CAKE ! :D

> Do you think a variety of parts can be used ? Sometimes I buy chicken legs or chicken wings by the bagful because it's so inexpensive.

I have tried it with chicken legs. My only complaint is that they can not be arranged in as orderly a fashion as thighs which can be tucked up to form compact rectangles that fit neatly into the dish.

I do not know if chicken wings will be good substitutions. Some of the flavor in the rice is from the juices of the chicken. I believe wings are very dry. I have made it without any chicken and it comes out fine. It is only that it is a little different when it does not have the chicken.

I hope you enjoy it!

Jackie.. my mom did a varition on this recipe w/ chicken thighs and legs on the bone in the oven like this all the time when I was a kid... only we used the packaged onion soup mix and added liquid.. such as chicken stock or water) When I first got married a gazillion years ago and remembered this recipe that is how I made it too. (but that was only after a lot of "fiddling" around to figure out what to put in it all.. because my mom had long since LOST her recipe.. so it took me a while to get it the way I wanted it)

But then over the years, I got so tired of messing w/ the chicken parts.. ha.. I must have 'channeled" you mom.. ha. because I make it w/ the cut up chicken now all the time. :D

(But ps.. the method SF first listed is likely going to give the best flavor and I bet the lower temp and longer cooking time IS the big payoff too.. because it likely does add to the flavor a LOT as well.)

But I must confess, in the interest of time, I usually add less liquid now and use (dare I say it?) instant rice.. already cooked.. and then I up the temp to more like 350 and then I only cook for about 45 mins.. OR.. (gasp.. I know. I am so awful to admit this) I sometimes just reduce the liquid even a bit more and bubble it away on the stove top if I am in a hurry... it does NOT give you the depth of flavor the way the oven method would.. but still makes a quick and easy yet filling meal. (and lately, I am all about "quick and easy' cooking... alas..)

OH.. and sometimes.. just for fun as a variation (and also because I once thought I HAD some onion soup. but was wrong and necessity IS the mother of invention after all.. ha) .. we will sometimes use a cheese sauce packet instead of the onion soup packet to mix things up a bit.. and then of course I use milk for my liquid andI will throw in some frozen broccoli just for fun too) That is the kidling's favorite variation.

Gotta love chicken AND rice... oh, the ever expanding possible choices.. ha. :D

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}Jackie.. my mom did a varition on this recipe

I believe it is required that every family have their own recipe and way of making it. I did a Google search for liver and onions recipes. There were 1,500,000 sites found. A search for meatloaf recipes returned 1,800,000 sites found. A search for chicken and rice recipes returned 42,200,000 sites found.

It is sad to say that even cheesecake which is raison d'etre only returned 16,300,000 sites found.

{font:Times New Roman}T{font}{font:Times New Roman}he Bacardi Rum Cake is in a booklet they put out at this time of year. I know it by heart. You can use the angel food or Bundt pan.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}1 box cake mix of your choice{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}1 box instant pudding the same or complementing flavor{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}4 eggs{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}½ cup oil {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}½ cup water{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}½ cup light or dark rum{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Grease and flour the pan. Mix all ingredients but nuts and beat as package directs. Spread nuts over bottom of pan. Pour batter into pan and follow baking times on package. Let cool 10 minutes and invert onto serving plate. Cool 20 minutes more.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Glaze: Place 1 cup butter or margarine, 1 cup sugar (white or brown), ½ cup water in saucepan. Heat to boiling and cook until sugar is dissolved. Add ½ cup of rum of your choice and stir. Poke several holes in cake with icepick and spoon glaze into them then brush rest over cake. Let stand until serving to let glaze sink in or refrigerate. If desired decorate with puffs of whipped cream before serving.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}The original recipe was yellow cake, vanilla pudding, white sugar, and light rum. I just mix fruit flavored cake mixes with various pudding flavors and light rums, chocolate cake with coconut pudding and brown sugar/dark rum glaze for turtle cake, and so on. Carrot and spice mixes work well with French vanilla pudding and white or gold rum. Just use regular strength rums, 151 is out. I use the mid to low end brands-Bacardi, Don Castillo, Ron Rico etc.-rather than Myers or Appleton so I don’t know how they would work. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman} {font} {font:Times New Roman}Made the Cheese/Bacon Meatloaf and it was great-that pan works just the way they show it on TV. Am trying a Shepherd’s Pie version later today. {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Dec 4, 2011 12:19 AM

It is not possible to say how many cookies this recipe makes as they must continually be sampled while making them to ensure they are good. I have had as few as six left to serve when I am finished cooking.

They are light and thin so it is as if you are having a crunchy flavor with no calories.

You need Rosette Irons to make these. These are small and inexpensive items available at many places. They are simply a metal outline of a shape and this metal screws onto a handle. There are some handles that can hold two shapes at the same time.

Rosettes

1 cup flour

1 cup milk

1 egg

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract or almond extract or dark rum

1/4 teaspoon salt

Vegetable oil for frying

Powdered sugar for dusting

Mix all ingredients well. Use an electric mixer. Batter should have no lumps.

Cover and place in refrigerator for an hour.

Heat two inches of oil in a large skillet.

Heat rosette iron in hot oil for one minute.

Shake oil from iron. Dip into batter half-deep. Dip coated iron into oil.

Rosette will form quickly and pull away from iron. Lift iron away slowly.

Flip rosette when lightly brown. Fry until it is lightly brown on other side.

Remove rosette and drain.

Repeat for remaining batter.

Dust with powdered sugar.

147.jpg

Rosette Irons are available in many shapes.

31GYR1TCGSL.jpg

I have had luck using a one-fourth cup of Dutch cocoa and only using a three-fourths cup of flour.

I have also the recipe for rosettes that do not need the irons. It is a thicker dough which is rolled out and stacked and cut by hand into shapes. They are much more trouble and they are not as delicate.

So that's how they make them! I've seen the irons, even saw some last week when shopping, but I never could figure out how they made the cookies.

My mother in law from Germany says they used to make elderberry flower pancakes in much the same way. They would take the flower, dip it in the batter and fry them up with the flower still inside.

http://www.amiexpat.com/recipes/real-german-cuisine/hollerkuchle-elder-flower-pancakes/

They are made by many cultures from Siberia to Sweden.

I have always loved these. They had several rites of passage: when I was so mature I could be trusted to stand near the pan of hot oil and sprinkle the sugar on them as they drained, and another when I could dip the hot irons in the batter and hand them to my mother to fry, and another when I could do all of it with my mother standing behind me, and another when my mother told me to make some while she went shopping.

Hi SansFin ...

Well I tried your *'Chicken and Rice'* Recipe, last night ... but it was 'Unplanned', as we were going to order Pizza, but that idea 'fell through'. So the only thing I had left was a bag of frozen chicken legs, which I took out and began to defrost. I wasn't sure how I was going to prepare it. I didn't want to Fry it, as I never seem to get the 'Pink' out of it ... and baking it always seemed to leave the meat dry. Then I remembered your recipe . . . BUT . . . I couldn't access your recipe right then, as my son was online talking to his friends from other countries and had already had too many interruptions. So I relied on my memory and common sense, to prepare my chicken legs.

After defrosting & cleaning, I salt & peppered legs and placed in my Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Covered and placed in a 375 degrees oven. I remember the time would be about 3 hours. While that was baking, I began going through my pantry & began pulling everything that was part of the recipe. Well, I only had the can of Mushroon Soup. So I also got a can of carrots, can of potatoes and a bag of frozen peas. I mixed all these ingredients together in a large bowl . . and after the chicken had been cooking for 2 hours, I poured the mixture on top of the chicken . . . and placed back into the Oven for another hour.

(Now, what I think I should have done here, before pouring the 'bowl' mixture, was to drain the liquid and 'fat' (of course) out of the Pot, before putting in the mixture ... what do you think ? ?:| )

(Oh . . one more thing ... I forgot the *RICE !* :_| Bahhhhh ... !

I Realized that when I looked up the Recipe, this morning.)

Well, moving forward ... After 3 hours, I took my Pot of Chicken out and served it along with some Instant Mashed Potatoes that my son had prepared . . . and I'm happy to Report that this meal came out very Delicious ! :) And today, we will have Left overs ... But this time with the White Rice, Instead !

LESSON LEARNED :

Copy ALL Recipes down and Keep in Recipe Box or Notebook,

for Easy Access & Immediate Review ! ;)

Thanks SansFin . . .

Edited by: ugaarte on Dec 7, 2011 2:51 PM

Thanks, Wouldbestar, for your Recipe for the *'Bacardi Rum Cake'.*

I definately want to try this for my sons. It'll bring back *'Memories'* for them !

*TRUE STORY :*

When they were young boys, I had taken them to a French bakery that had just openned up. I saw the 'mouth watering' delicacies of the pastries in the case and asked a particular slice. I asked what kind of Cake it was and he answered what I thought sounded like *'Crumb Cake'.* So I ordered a large piece of it, of which we could all partake. While we sat @ a bench, waiting for the bus to go home, I let them dig into this delicious, 'aromatic' slice of cake. At first, their little faces gave a little 'wrinkled nose' look, commenting that the cake was 'Wet' but sweet tasting ... I finally took a taste and smelled it and commented that it smelled like alcohol. It was then that I realized that the Baker said, *'RUM CAKE' ...* Not Crumb Cake !! I had a good laugh and told my guys to eat mostly the top and I would concentrate on the bottom part, where it was 'Wet' ! :D ... but I think they were Really taking to this Cake ... hee hee ! They 'kid' me about it now and tell me, "Remember when you use to take us out and get us 'Drunk' !" ... I have to 'Yell' @ them about that and then they Laugh and give me One Big Hug ! :x

SansFins ...

Thanks for that Recipe for *Rosettes !* I'll have to get one of those 'Flowery' Hot Irons ... (this sounds like a 'term' from my 'Hippy' daze... :) ) !

I have to tell you, when I was in Grade School, our 5th grade class had a 'Bake Sale', where we would bring in Baked Goodies to sell and to Purchase Other goodies, @ the same time . . . Well, one of the girls brought in 'Rosettes'. I had never heard of them but just had to try them. And when I first took a bite of it, it was just 'Heavenly' ! ... It was 'light and airy', with a fine dusting of Powered Sugar ! ... Ohhh, it was so Delicate ... I couldn't get enough (though I only had 5) !

The other desserts, Cakes, Cookies, Donuts were, of course, HEAVIER tasting . . . and Delicioius !

But the Rosettes, were just SO Refined with a 'hint' of light sweetness . . . Mmmmm !

I don't think I've had the 'pleasure' of tasting another Rosette since then ... but now with your Recipe,

I'm looking forward to bringing back some Sweet Memories ! ... Now for the 'hunt' for a 'Flowery Iron' ! :)

> Well I tried your 'Chicken and Rice' Recipe, last night

> (Oh . . one more thing ... I forgot the RICE!

I hope you will please forgive me if I do not understand correctly. You made 'Chicken and Rice' and did not use Rice?

> Covered and placed in a 375 degrees oven.

I am very much surprised it was not very dry and tough. I believe that is the temperature for chicken to be done in almost an hour. The three hours at 275 is good for me since it is low cooking and the rice around the edges is crispy as I like it to be. If you do not like your rice so brown you can cut the time back by perhaps a half an hour.

I thank you for the kind words for my recipe but I do not believe they are warranted as you created your meal as your vision and experience led you. Perhaps you will make it again in that way and write down all that you do so we will have a new recipe for this thread! :)

The K-Mart and Wal-Mart here carry the Rosette Irons at this time of year. They are on a hanging card which is perhaps three inches wide and eight inches tall so they hide among all the other tools and utensils on the racks.

I wish I could put the temperature the oil should be when you start frying. I do not know it. There are two ways I tell. One is when I drop a small bead of batter into the oil. If it does not fry up properly the oil is not yet as hot as it should be. If the bead of batter turns black quickly the oil must be cooled. The other way I try is to place the handle of an old wooden spoon straight down into it. I can tell by the bubbles if the oil is right.

I hope you are able to find the irons and make these delicate little treats. :)

Hi SansFins . . .

When I mentioned that I had prepared your 'Chicken and Rice' Recipe . . . I made mention of the 'Rice' because it was in the Title Name of the Recipe. Since I didn't have access to my computer, @ the time, I was trying to remember All the ingredients that went into the Recipe, not really thinking about the 'Title'. But I am looking forward to TRYing it out again, with ALL the correct ingredients, this time . . . :)

Regarding the 375 degrees Oven, I've noticed that when any Recipe calls for a certain temperature, that I find that I have to Bake it just a little bit longer. I guess my Oven is Not Registering the exact amount of heat called for. And there was some liquid and chicken fat in the Dutch Oven that kept it from drying out.

Oh, Btw, does it matter if I used a Covered Dutch Oven ... or would the Recipe benefit Better in a Oven Safe Casserol Dish ?

And and Much Thanks for the 'Heads Up' on locating a Rosette Iron. We have a K-mart, not too far from us and I'll be sure to check them out ! And Thanks also for the Tip on the Hot Oil for frying the Rosettes. I So Look forward to trying this Recipe out ! Thanks again, SansFin ! :)

Okay . . . Does anyone have a Recipe for . . . 'LIVER PATE' ?

I've gone into YOUTUBE and got a few Recipes for Liver Pate, but I wanted to ask my TCM Family if they are familiar with this Recipe . . . and the Best ingredients to use !

One Recipe calls for 'Coriander Seeds and Star Anise' ... and a Couple of Other Recipes call for Port Wine or some other Liquor. Some call for them to Refrigerate Over night ... or Bake in the Oven.

I think I prefer the Refrigeration Over Night ! I've never prepared this Before, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. . . . :D

Also, I want to Bake my own Bread . . . Just a Simple Recipe. I've never tried Baking Bread before and would Love to try my hand @ it.

So, let's see . . . I want to Prepare 'Liver Pate' on Day 1 . . . and on Day 2, prepare Homemade Baked Bread. Then my Family and I can 'partake' of 'Enjoying' spreading Homemade Pate on Homemade Baked Bread . . . Doesn't that sound 'cozy' ? :x

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScjP-UF78tUKugDT_W6Ez

> Oh, Btw, does it matter if I used a Covered Dutch Oven ... or would the Recipe benefit Better in a Oven Safe Casserol Dish ?

I do not believe it would make a difference. I have only used a round casserole with a good lid. The importance is that it hold in the vapors so it does not become dry. When Capuchin showed me the recipe he put aluminum foil over it and sealed it to the sides before he put on the lid. I do not like aluminum to touch my food so I do not do that and it turns out well.

I am sorry I do not have a recipe for liver pate.

Here is a bread that is simple and easy to make and it is baked in a dutch oven:

A list of the ingredients and their amounts is at the end of the video.

This is my favorite way to make bread:

1 package yeast

1/4 cup warm water

Mix yeast and water and let it stand until it is foamy.

1 teaspoon instant coffee

1 teaspoon molasses

1 cup hot water

Mix together until coffee and molasses are dissolved.

3 cups rye flour

1/2 cup buckwheat flour

2 teaspoons Dutch cocoa powder

1.25 teaspoons salt

Mix flours, cocoa and salt.

Mix in yeast.

Mix in coffee and molasses mixture.

Knead until smooth.

Cover and let it sit for two hours.

Knead lightly to stretch.

Cover and let it sit for a half of an hour.

Shape into long roll. It should look much like a French loaf less than three inches in diameter.

Place on buttered cookie sheet.

Place in warm oven for an hour.

-The oven should be warm for rising not at full temperature for baking.-

Place a cup of hot water in a metal bowl in the oven.

Bake at 375 degrees for twenty minutes.

Remove the water bowl.

Bake thirty minutes more.

Edited by: SansFin on Dec 9, 2011 7:31 AM because I need to clarify the instructions.