Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

"10 Rillington Place" (1971) Oct. 29 EARLY

6 posts in this topic

REAL LIFE horror story depicting the bizarre murders of British serial killer Christie (Richard Attenborough).

This is John Hurt's greatest performance. Judy Geeson is great.

If you haven't seen it, you must. You will not forget this film; a masterpiece.

• Thanks 1

It is definitely disturbing. John Hurt yes, was good--but the phenomenal Richard Attenborough walks away with the picture. His characterization is incredible. The utmost in chills.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2018 at 11:58 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

It is definitely disturbing. John Hurt yes, was good--but the phenomenal Richard Attenborough walks away with the picture. His characterization is incredible. The utmost in chills.

Being an aficianado of serial killer biographies, this film captures Christie's persona perfectly, and Attenborough is amazing, as is John Hurt. The abortion scenes are so real they are truly frightening.

• Like 2

That is certainly a morbid predilection of yours. "Afterwards, (neighbors stated), 'she always seemed like such a nice person'..." Ha!

What I remember most about John Hurt in this flick is the scene where he is told the ghastly news. The way he half-bursts into tears.

Been discussing this lately with a pal who swears that in general, men are so emotionally stunted that ---for all intents and purposes, we 'never' cry. This is preposterous to me and I've been thinking of asking TopBilled to create a thread about it. (Or, to ask LawrenceA whether a thread on this topic already exists, just to vex him).

See, I can think of at least five big stars who practically 'made their name' by scenes of male weeping. I'm sure there's many more because --to my way of thinking--its such a fundamental of theater. Its such a fundamental of being human. Men cry much more frequently than popular culture (talk shows and sitcoms) would have it. Who agrees with me? What movies bear this out?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

That is certainly a morbid predilection of yours. "Afterwards, (neighbors stated), 'she always seemed like such a nice person'..." Ha!

What I remember most about John Hurt in this flick is the scene where he is told the ghastly news. The way he half-bursts into tears.

Been discussing this lately with a pal who swears that in general, men are so emotionally stunted that ---for all intents and purposes, we 'never' cry. This is preposterous to me and I've been thinking of asking TopBilled to create a thread about it. (Or, to ask LawrenceA whether a thread on this topic already exists, just to vex him).

See, I can think of at least five big stars who practically 'made their name' by scenes of male weeping. I'm sure there's many more because --to my way of thinking--its such a fundamental of theater. Its such a fundamental of being human. Men cry much more frequently than popular culture (talk shows and sitcoms) would have it. Who agrees with me? What movies bear this out?

Men do cry and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are brought up in macho culture real men are not suppose to show any sign of weakness which is not emotionally healthy

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

I totally agree with this diagnosis, Sarge.

I've made a few men cry and there's even one of them here online. 

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it, though it can be fun at times.

That's why I like you, Sarge as you don't seem like the crybaby type or inclined to any lachrymose [sp?] tendencies!

• Thanks 1