cujas

Musicals on Tap

1,669 posts in this topic

Miles--You are still a thrill, I guess always will, I hope you never depart!

You've got the audition song--

For fun, I want to add to the list, the last song that Judy performed on her MGM contract from a movie that the studio released at that time.

Re: favorite songs--they're was one substantiated by her authorized biographer, but she named at least 12 others that she especially loved as well,--any will do.

It's been a few days so let's get this thread moving along. These are just guesses, but I think that Judy's last MGM song was "Get Happy" from "Summer Stock". Her last song from her Carnegie Hall concert may have been "Chicago". I'm going to say that her favorite song was "Dear Mr.Gable", because of the significance it had upon her career. Now, Miss Cujas, since nobody else has made a guess, could you enlighten us with the correct answers?

It was all easy, except for her favorite song. Her authorized biographer, Gerald Frank, quoted her as saying

"When you're down and out

Lift up your head and shout

There's gonna be a Great Day"

"It's Gonna Be A Great Day" by Vincent Youmans

I know that everyone's favorite record is Judy At Carnegie Hall--and no one would have to google her last tremendous encore, which, of course, was Fred Fisher's Chicago.

Miles--it's all yours--

Thanks. We have established that Roger Edens was MGM's musical guru and was a mentor to Judy Garland. He was also a talented composer. He wrote a song with a calypso beat that Judy performed in a production number in one of her musicals. Can you name the song and the movie? I posted about this song sometime ago on these boards, but you may have forgotten. I believe it was shortly after cujas came on board.

Miles--i've been around a long time--and after you gave me that question, I went out and bought the movie. I really liked the number--it was a take-off on Carmen Miranda, not Harry Belafonte.

If somebody else wants to answer this time, consider the above a hint.

Thanks Miles.

There was a Gershwin song in one of Fred and Ginger's 1930's films that Fred sang to Ginger, but they didn't dance to it. Many years later, Fred and Ginger got to dance to this beautiful song. Can you name the song and the 2 films???

This is Fred's signature tune--They Can't Take That Away from Me.

He sang it to Ginger in Shall We Dance, but no dance. More than 10 years later in Barkleys of Broadway they did it up right with a song and dance.

Lav--I got one for you--What was the name of the musical conductor of the show they were dancing in? He appears on camera.

Hint: he was the husband of another MGM musical star.

Hi cujas. It's been a long time since I've seen either film. I just remember that they didn't dance to that Gershwin fav of mine until Barkleys. Was it Lennie Hayton, who was married to Lena Horne??

You're up for posting, or is that the question?

Thanks cujas. I'm running out of fresh ideas. Try this one, although it's not a tap routine, but it is a musical with some excellent tapping in it.

Originally this number was not in the original script. The 2 leads were fooling around on the set and the director decided to put this routine in the film. Actors, film and the song used ????

Yes. Sisters in *White Christmas*, Kaye and Crosby. When my sister and I were little girls and we'd watch *White Christmas* on TV, we would reenact Vera-Ellen and Rosemary Clooney doing that routine. A very precious memory for me. Good work Miles, your thread. Merry Christmas to You and Yours. ;)

Thanks. Bing Crosby first sang "White Christmas" in "Holiday Inn". In that film, he also sang a song that had been introduced on the stage by Clifton Webb and Marilyn Miller. Can you name the song and the Broadway show that it was from?

I'm going to be quite busy for the next few days, as are you, I'm sure, so I want to wish Happy Holidays to one and all!. By the way, that's not the song.

After a week and no responses, I'll practically give it away. Irving Berlin needed a holiday song for a musical review. He went back to his files and pulled out a song that he had a mild success with some years previously. He changed the words and a few notes, but kept the basic tune. The song was called "Smile And Show Your Dimple". He changed the title to fit the holiday that the song was about. Now, do you know it and the review show that it was from?

Isn't that song Easter Parade? & no, I didn't have to listen to it.

Edited by: cujas on Jan 3, 2013 4:49 PM

Yes, and the review show was called "As Thousands Cheer' Welcome back, cujas. We've missed you. This question was up for much too long. Now you get to post a new one.

While we're waiting for cujas, here's one that I may have posted some time ago, but I bet nobody remembers. An Irving Berlin song featured in a Fred and Ginger musical ended with a phrase that was used as the beginng phrase in another Irving Berlin song that was featured in a movie some years later. In other words, the last few words of one song were the first few words of another song. Can you name the songs and the movies that featured them?