cujas

Musicals on Tap

1,245 posts in this topic

That's the song, Princess.  Now can you name the movie in which it is played during the opening credits?  (I'm sure you can.)  Bonus points if you can name the other Judy movie in which it is heard briefly as incidental music.

I will try this morning, I don't think I can remember any of that. But I think I told you before that where I took ballet in Chicago, I could stand at the barre and look at the Oriental Theater, where Judy became Judy Garland during the Chicago World's Fair.

So no Brownie points for me today-- unfortunately I saw most of those movies before I was 12.

However, My guess would be For Me and My Gal.

Actually you got the bonus point because For Me and My Gal is the movie in which Chicago is heard briefly when Palmer & Hayden play at a theater there.  

I think it's time to move on; so the answer to the original question is In the Good Old Summertime.  

You've got the thread now, Princess.

MGM musicals are famous for not just the numbers that made the cut, but also for the numbers that were cut.

One such famous number was written by an equally famous songwriting team, known primarily for Broadway  musicals.

One of their songs was to be inserted into a  now classic favorite MGM Musical, which was primarily written by another songwriting team. The sets and so on were all constructed but for some reason the number was cut.

Please give us the name of the artists who wrote The Cut song, the name of the movie, and the singer(s)  who sang the number.

Could it be Boys and Girls Like You and Me, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, originally for Oklahoma! I think?  Anyway it was cut from Meet Me in St. Louis and it would have been sung by Judy Garland.  She did record it for the Decca label.  The rest of the songs were written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.  

They tried again with this song for Take Me Out to the Ball Game, this time sung by Frank Sinatra, and once again it was cut.

9 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Could it be Boys and Girls Like You and Me, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, originally for Oklahoma! I think?  Anyway it was cut from Meet Me in St. Louis and it would have been sung by Judy Garland.  She did record it for the Decca label.  The rest of the songs were written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.  

They tried again with this song for Take Me Out to the Ball Game, this time sung by Frank Sinatra, and once again it was cut.

Star, I owed you one, so I threw that one in your direction because I knew you could easily catch it. LOL

While surfing around YouTube to hear it again, I saw that they had video of Liza singing it. How interesting.

Star, now we're even.  It's your turn--

• Thanks 1

In this movie, A little boy starts out hoofing for pennies in cheap dives, but grows up to become a big singing star on Broadway.

When you identify this movie, please also name the star and at least one song that he sang in the movie.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

In this movie, A little boy starts out hoofing for pennies in cheap dives, but grows up to become a big singing star on Broadway.

When you identify this movie, please also name the star and at least one song that he sang in the movie.

Princess, new clue please, thanks

On 12/16/2017 at 8:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--The young man is criticized by his family for his career choice.

On 12/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--The young man is criticized by his family for his career choice.

Princess, time for a clue

On 12/16/2017 at 8:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

The Jazz Singer - Al Jolson - Mammy

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The Jazz Singer - Al Jolson - Mammy

Yes, Gershwin-- I don't know why this took so long. I thought it was almost too obvious for a question, but it's just about our first musical . You're up--

Okay, I'll give it a try. The 11 minute number in this technicolor, twentieth-century fox movie was the longest musical sequence in a film musical.

7 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Carmen Miranda performing the Lady in the Tutti Frutti Hat from Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here

Good guess but it's even longer than that one. It was filmed around that time (give or take a couple years) though.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, Gershwin fan said:

Good guess but it's even longer than that one. It was filmed around that time (give or take a couple years) though.

You need to post another clue, this question has been here a week.