cujas

Musicals on Tap

1,346 posts in this topic

Could it be Boys and Girls Like You and Me, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, originally for Oklahoma! I think?  Anyway it was cut from Meet Me in St. Louis and it would have been sung by Judy Garland.  She did record it for the Decca label.  The rest of the songs were written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.  

They tried again with this song for Take Me Out to the Ball Game, this time sung by Frank Sinatra, and once again it was cut.

9 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Could it be Boys and Girls Like You and Me, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, originally for Oklahoma! I think?  Anyway it was cut from Meet Me in St. Louis and it would have been sung by Judy Garland.  She did record it for the Decca label.  The rest of the songs were written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.  

They tried again with this song for Take Me Out to the Ball Game, this time sung by Frank Sinatra, and once again it was cut.

Star, I owed you one, so I threw that one in your direction because I knew you could easily catch it. LOL

While surfing around YouTube to hear it again, I saw that they had video of Liza singing it. How interesting.

Star, now we're even.  It's your turn--

• Thanks 1

In this movie, A little boy starts out hoofing for pennies in cheap dives, but grows up to become a big singing star on Broadway.

When you identify this movie, please also name the star and at least one song that he sang in the movie.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

In this movie, A little boy starts out hoofing for pennies in cheap dives, but grows up to become a big singing star on Broadway.

When you identify this movie, please also name the star and at least one song that he sang in the movie.

Princess, new clue please, thanks

On 12/16/2017 at 8:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--The young man is criticized by his family for his career choice.

On 12/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--The young man is criticized by his family for his career choice.

Princess, time for a clue

On 12/16/2017 at 8:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

The Jazz Singer - Al Jolson - Mammy

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The Jazz Singer - Al Jolson - Mammy

Yes, Gershwin-- I don't know why this took so long. I thought it was almost too obvious for a question, but it's just about our first musical . You're up--

Okay, I'll give it a try. The 11 minute number in this technicolor, twentieth-century fox movie was the longest musical sequence in a film musical.

7 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Carmen Miranda performing the Lady in the Tutti Frutti Hat from Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here

Good guess but it's even longer than that one. It was filmed around that time (give or take a couple years) though.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, Gershwin fan said:

Good guess but it's even longer than that one. It was filmed around that time (give or take a couple years) though.

You need to post another clue, this question has been here a week.

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

You need to post another clue, this question has been here a week.

It stars Fred MacMurray.

Anther hint: the number in question is about a historical set of ships and was shot in technicolor.

This dance star started out as a choreographic dance assistant to a top choreographer at a top Studio.

She danced in the movies and on Broadway and in straight dramatic roles on TV, but she never became a famous choreographer herself.

When you identify the dancer, name at least one of her movie roles and don't forget to identify her iconic choreographer mentor.

I have an answer to the Fred MacMurray movie.  It's "Where Do We Go From Here?", a 1945 movie in which Fred is transported through time to historical events.  The musical number is "The Nina, The Pinta, And The Santa Maria".  Here is a clip:

Now, in answer to the question from Princess, could it be Barrie Chase?   She was an assistant to choreographer Jack Cole and she appeared in the chorus of several musicals before appearing with Fred Astaire in several TV specials.  She also did non-musical roles.  She was beaten by Robert Mitchum in the original "Cape Fear" in 1962, and she appeared in "The George Raft Story" with Ray Danton in 1961.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Now, in answer to the question from Princess, could it be Barrie Chase?   She was an assistant to choreographer Jack Cole and she appeared in the chorus of several musicals before appearing with Fred Astaire in several TV specials.  She also did non-musical roles.  She was beaten by Robert Mitchum in the original "Cape Fear" in 1962, and she appeared in "The George Raft Story" with Ray Danton in 1961.

Miles, sorry to interrupt, I've been trying to pm you but it says you can't receive messages. Please clear your Inbox if that's the problem, thanks.Please pm me when the problem is resolved.

Princess, Miles answered Barrie Chase and Jack Cole, Cape Fear and George Raft Story

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Miles, sorry to interrupt, I've been trying to pm you but it says you can't receive messages. Please clear your Inbox if that's the problem, thanks.Please pm me when the problem is resolved.

Princess, Miles answered Barrie Chase and Jack Cole, Cape Fear and George Raft Story

Miles, Barrie Chase is a great dancer because she was picked by Jack Cole and Fred Astaire.

But, unfortunately she's never been a star, really on any level. 

When I say dance star, that's exactly what I mean- -A star in the movies and a star on Broadway.

I think you can take it from there...

Could it be Cyd Charisse?  Robert Alton as the MGM mentor--films include The Band Wagon and Silk Stockings..?

Whatever Lola Wants. Lola Gets- the most excellent Gwen Verdon, Jack Cole and Bob Fosse.

Damn Yankees, on Broadway and film ??????? Just watched Gwen in Cocoon for the 20 th time the other night on TCM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Whatever Lola Wants. Lola Gets- the most excellent Gwen Verdon, Jack Cole and Bob Fosse.

Damn Yankees, on Broadway and film ??????? Just watched Gwen in Cocoon for the 20 th time the other night on TCM.

Yes, Gwen was a Broadway and a movie dance star, who also appeared in dramatic roles in movies and on television.

Gwen won four Tony Awards for her musical performances on Broadway.

And it was also the generous Gwen Verdon who coached Shirley MacLaine in the movie adaptation of Sweet Charity, the role which Gwen had created on Broadway.

Well  Lav, you win again--

16 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I have an answer to the Fred MacMurray movie.  It's "Where Do We Go From Here?", a 1945 movie in which Fred is transported through time to historical events.  The musical number is "The Nina, The Pinta, And The Santa Maria".  Here is a clip:

You guessed it. The longest number from a studio era musical film. I completely forgot about this thread and should have just answered sooner. :lol: Sorry guys.