Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alix

Favorite Couples or Teams

138 posts in this topic

My Favorite movie pair is Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn- "Adam's Rib", "Guess Who's Comming to Dinner", "Pat and Mike" and "Desk Set" are some of my favorite examples.

I also love John Wayne/ Maureen O'Hara in "Quiet Man" and "Mc Clintock" "Rio Grande" and James Stewart/ Margaret Sullivan "The Shop Around the Corner" and "Mortal Storm" "The Shopworn Angel"

I'm surprised in view of all the publicity over the new ERROL FLYNN SIGNATURE COLLECTION DVD that no one has even mentioned Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland.

Just finished watching a few of their films and agree with the film historians that they were two of the most romantic duos during the '30s and early '40s.

Others that I like:

Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy

Kathryn Grayson and Howard Keel

Gene Kelly and Judy Garland

Neil

William Powell and Myrna Loy. They did something like 13 movies together, including the classis "Thin Man" movies

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy

Irene Dunne and Cary Grant

Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon

Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne

Definitely William Powell and Myrna Loy; their "mugging" at each other was priceless in 'The Thin Man'.

But my all time favorite combo; Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. The two of them together transcended them apart, like adding 2+2 and getting 200.

Skyrockets!

For me, one of the most enriching partnerships was the teaming of Allen Jenkins and Frank McHugh in umpteen '30s Warners pictures. Whether if only appearing for a scene or two, both men had a rapport that was both engaging and funny. THREE MEN ON A HORSE still holds up as a unique and hilarious film, largely because of Jenkins' and McHugh's work. Similarly, Joan Blondell and Glenda Farrell's many teamings. When the four worked together, as in HAVANA WIDOWS, what does a corny story mean when you can watch extremely fun personalities at work? Other great teams include the oft-paired Errol Flynn and Alan Hale, Cagney and O'Brien, and has anyone else noticed how many films of John Barrymore's that Luis Alberni pops up in?

YIKES! I forgot Frances Dee & Joel Mccrea thanks fashion

for reminding me i must've had a generic moment:( lolite...

Ingrid Bermgman and the tree stump, alright just kidding but my point is IMO Bergman seem to be able generate chemistry with any of her leading men on camera. Even with Humphrey Bogart, who if I'm going to be totally honest I never really liked as an actor, because I found him a bit too brash for my preference, yet she still manage to make their scenes sizzle in Cassablanca. Then there was her and Cary Grant, who IMO was a male equvilant of Bergman in that he seem to generate chemistry with most of his leading ladies onscreen, together in Notorious they were incredible. The film still stands out due to their exposive chemistry on screen.

Pafjlk, I totally agree with your post!!

Im not a Bogart fan either, but he blossomed in Ingrid's presence.

Im a HUGE Cary Grant fan! NOTORIOUS is one of my ALL-TIME favorite films. Bergman & Grant lit-up-the-screen. Who knew "lack of communication & constant misunderstanding" could be so HOT!

On screen, Ingrid Bergman was one of the few actresses who made "vulnerable & down-to-earth" INTERESTING!

Here is my two cents....

Myrna Loy and William Powell

Doris Day and Rock Hudson

Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable (It Happened One Night)

Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer (History is Made At Night)

Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr (An Affair to Remember)

Lucy and Ethel!!!!

Tabitha

Hello,

i am new to the board but have been a long time fan of TCM.

My favorite couples/ teams are in order

1, Olivia De havilland and Errol Flynn, Oh my Gosh..... in all their 8 movies their sexual tension toward one another just crackled onthe screen. It was amazing!

2, Gene Kelly and Judy Garland All their movies

3, John Wayne and Maureen OHara all their movies

4, Robert Mitchum and Debra Kerr Heaven Knows Mr Allison

5, Gregory peck and Audrey Hepburn, Roman Holiday

6, Mary Pickford and Buddy Rodgers, My Best Girl

7, Orson Wells and Joan Fontaine, Jane Eyre

8,As for teams I would have to say my all time favorites were the Marx Brothers

Message was edited by:

romanticatheart

Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire - even though they were only in like 2 pictures together

Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson

Mario Lanza and Kathryn Grayson

Judy Garland and Gene Kelly

John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara

Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau

Fred Astaire and Vera-Ellen - in my opinion, this was the best dance team ever at Metro - should have been in more movies

And any movies that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were in together (like Long Long Trailer)

A few favorites are: Willam Powell and Myrna Loy. They seemed so natural together. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Always so romantic. John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. They gave as good as they got. And of course, Laurel and Hardy.

Bogart & Bacall top the list for me, also....

Spencer Tracy & Katharine Hepburn (for their comedies, especially Woman of the Year)

Fred Astaire & Cyd Charisse (for their dancing, I think Cyd was Mr. Astaire's best partner)

Joan Crawford & Van Heflin (for their love/hate relationship in Possessed)

Bogart & Mary Astor (my favorite film noir couple)

A question: I heard that Fred Astaire & Joan Crawford (!) were in Dancing Lady together. Has anyone out there seen it?

I've seen DANCING LADY. Fred has a small part as himself, essentially. This was his first film, I believe. Fred and his sister Adele were well-known dancers in the theatre at that time. Fred and Joan dance together in a Swiss Miss-German beergarden-Tyrolean type number. Sorry, I know that those are 3 different things, but the memory is fuzzy as it's been years since I've seen it...Fred is wonderful, but he and Joan look very silly in lederhosen and braids!

Sandy K

Ma & Pa Kettle were played by Marjorie Main and Percy Kilbride. If you're interseted in them, I believe there are some forums on TCM.