Sign in to follow this  
svein

Thursday events?

7 posts in this topic

Got another first-timer question...are there other films running Thursday besides Cabaret? I'm not a huge fan of the movie, and I'm attending by myself so the red carpet event isn't a big draw either.

> Got another first-timer question...are there other films running Thursday besides Cabaret?

Yes, there are films running in other theaters while *Cabaret* is unspooling in the main Chinese theater.

In the past, there has been a poolside screening at the Roosevelt as well as films running in some of the smaller Chinese theaters as well as the larger Egyptian theater.

There will likely be something similar again this year.

I thought the poolside was excellent in 2010 and last year I actually left the Red Carpet sceening after Leslie Caron's interview with Robert O to catch Chris Issak & Mary Ann Mobley, then I snuck off to see "The Devil Is A Woman" at one of the smaller Chinese theaters.

If you're going to do anything poolside in the evenings during a TCMFF be sure to take along something warm to throw on...it can get cold & windy by the Roosevelt's pool after dark. I felt so sorry for the ladies in pretty but flimsy eveningwear who came for poolside screenings from the red carpet.

Svein, if they do what they did the previous two years--and why not, considering how successful they were--there will be a full schedule of films at all of these theaters:

Grauman's Chinese--for *Cabaret*

Egyptian Theater

Poolside at the Roosevelt Hotel

3 screens at the Mann's Chinese, which is a mallplex just above Grauman's

At least some of the films will begin by 6:00 or 6:30. The 3 mallplex screens will show at least 2 films that night, possibly 3, depending on length. They won't announce the full schedule until 2-4 weeks before the festival.

In addition to a full schedule on Friday and Saturday, there will be a full schedule on Sunday, including Sunday evening.

Great info, thanks so much! I booked my room at the Roosevelt two hours after the dates were announced, I bought my pass this morning and now I'm counting the days! What a lovely bunch of people here on the message boards, can't wait to spend the weekend among you all.

In 2011 TCM actually did some filming in the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel on Thursday afternoon (and I think on Wednesday afternoon also). The filming was fans doing intros (with Robert O) to some of the the movies showing on TCM that weekend and interviews of the stars at the festival (e.g., Mickey Rooney did an interview). Anyone could watch the filming in the lobby and could be in the background. So it was worthwhile to come into LA in the morning on Thursday. Also on Monday after the festival TCM scheduled a tour of the Warner Brothers studio, including a bus to the studio. The tour was an extra cost, not included in the costs of the festival pass.

The filming was not announced but was on the schedule that was released a few weeks before the festival. The tour was announced in a TCM email shortly before the festival.