Sign in to follow this  
michelponting

Favorite War Character

125 posts in this topic

Van Johnson, George Murphy and James Whitmore in `Battleground`and of course all the members of the 101st Airborne who appeared in this magnificent film.

godsandgenerals_pub.png

*“Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.”*

*The General Robert E. Lee - Gods and Generals*

*Jake in the Heartland*

thumbnail.aspx?q=1310096425934&id=ba35d4

Just as we would not send any of our soldiers to march in other states, and tyrannize other people. So will we never allow the armies of others to march into our states and tyrannize our people.

Lt. Gen. Stonewall Jackson - Gods and Generals

As a side note, Stonewall's horse, Little Sorrel, was the horse the great Stonewall was on in every major battle. Little Sorrel was never hit or injured - a truly amazing feat and horse.

Stonewall was on him when Stonewall was accidentally shot by a fellow Confederate at the Battle of Chancellorsville which resulted in his death.

Jake in the Heartland...

Just as we would not send any of our soldiers to march in other states, and tyrannize other people.+

The above worked okay for Stonewall for his command, but it was not true for other commanders... nor was it true for our nation under George W. Bush who never read Stonewall... in fact, prior to getting the Presidency Bush had never read a single book during his entire life. The point being... commanders make up their own rules and codes that are convenient for themselves only.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1309061616977&id=05ee52

Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.

The Alamo

Jake in the Heartland

277_King_Leo_1.jpg

Hydarnes, Commander of the Immortals: Yesterday, we only probed your positions. When we attack today, our arrows will blot out the sun!

Leonidas, Spartan King: Good; then we will fight in the shade.

The 300 Spartans

Jake in the Heartland

Robert Mitchum as Lt. Bill Walker in "Ernie Pyle's Story of G.I. Joe"

Mitchum bought a seldom seen humanity to the character of Walker. His concern for his men was seldom seen in war films of the times, even later ones. This was Mitchums's only A.A. nomination, he lost the Best Supporting Oscar, but delivered one of his finest performances in his first starring role.....

large%2520zulu%2520blu-ray1x.jpg

Colour Sergeant Bourne: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of Hosts is with us.

Cpl. William Allen: I hope so. As I live and die, I hope so.

Zulu

Jake in the Heartland

8977.0.219.138.jpg

Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Alba gu br?th!

Braveheart

Jake in the Heartland

armisteadlleading-200.jpg

Virginians! We'll stay! Who will come with me?

Brig. Gen Lewis Armistead - Gettysburg

As a side note, Armistead and his troopers actually did pierce the Union line during Pickett's Charge but he was fatally wounded shortly thereafter.

It is considered the High Water Mark of the Confederacy and there is a marker today at the Gettysburg Battlefield honoring him where he went down on that fateful day.

Jake in the Heartland

Last-of-the-Mohicans.jpg

Hawkeye: It was a war party. That means they're going to be attacking up and down the frontier.

The Last of the Mohicans

Jake in the Heartland

enemybelow2vig.jpg

Captain Murrell: I have no idea what he is, what he thinks. I don't want to know the man I'm... trying to destroy.

The Enemy Below

Jake in the Heartland

TRA970_So_Yamamura_003.jpg

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Jake in the Heartland

Clark Gable as General K C Dennis in *Command Decision* . Struggling with balancing the costs of human life and the objective of winning the war.

hunt-for-red-october.jpg

Captain Ramius: We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills.

The Hunt for Red October

Jake in the Heartland

Scene-from-They-Died-With-004.jpg

We ride ... to hell. Or to glory. It depends on your point of view.

George Armstrong Custer - They Died with Their Boots On

Jake in the Heartland

5.jpg

In my all my fifty years of military service, I have never learned how to bomb HALF a bridge!

MacArthur

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Dec 5, 2011 10:44 PM

distantdrums8.jpg

Capt. Quincy Wyatt: An interesting thing about the way the Seminoles bury their warriors. They sit 'em up and put war paint on 'em, set a bowl of fresh food alongside of 'em and then stick their favorite weapon in their hands and then they cover 'em up. With a great chief like that over yonder, they throw in the first newborn child to be born after he died.

Lt. Richard Tufts: Why do they do a thing like that for?

Capt. Quincy Wyatt: Well, they believe when a man dies, his spirit leaves the body and enters that of the first newborn. And in regarding a chief that high like that, they don't want the spirit to be passed on down to somebody that ain't fit to carry it.

Distant Drums

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Dec 7, 2011 8:12 PM

> {quote:title=JakeHolman wrote:}{quote}thumbnail.aspx?q=1310096425934&id=ba35d4

>

>

>

> Just as we would not send any of our soldiers to march in other states, and tyrannize other people. So will we never allow the armies of others to march into our states and tyrannize our people.

>

>

>

> Lt. Gen. Stonewall Jackson - Gods and Generals

>

>

>

> As a side note, Stonewall's horse, Little Sorrel, was the horse the great Stonewall was on in every major battle. Little Sorrel was never hit or injured - a truly amazing feat and horse.

>

>

>

> Stonewall was on him when Stonewall was accidentally shot by a fellow Confederate at the Battle of Chancellorsville which resulted in his death.

>

>

>

> Jake in the Heartland...

>

> mk-16.jpg