michelponting

Favorite War Character

125 posts in this topic

Sand_Pebbles_1903.jpg

The Sand Pebbles

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Dec 13, 2011 11:35 AM

waterloo-1-1.jpeg

Napoleon Bonaparte: Never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake. That's bad manners.

Waterloo

As a side note: if you enjoy great battle scenes with human drama, this is a great movie to watch.

Nope, it isn't 100 percent historically accurate but it's not entirely off base either.

Jake in the Heartland

ch-warlord-chuck_rosemary2.jpg

From under his right hand, I took that sword. I've lived twenty years with that cold wife.

The War Lord

Jake in the Heartland

Ted Turner loves history. And I, and others, owe him a lot of gratitude for his efforts to make all of us more aware of the rich history this country has.

I respect him for making Gods and Generals. It is one of the few movies about the War between the States that is balanced and does give the South's position better than anything else I've had the pleasure to watch.

If you look closely, you will see him.

Jake in the Heartland

2003_gods_and_generals_020.jpg

7138-4109.jpg

King Charles: A democracy, Mr. Cromwell, was a Greek drollery based on the foolish notion that there are extraordinary possibilities in very ordinary people.

Cromwell

Jake in the Heartland

513013.1020.A.jpg

Sold to Mr. Hamish Bond for 5,000 dollars!

Band of Angels

Jake in the Heartland

What a great quote from Napoleon. It sounds so British though.

Two things I give Turner credit for is starting an alternative television empire. He helped build cable, IMO. Secondly, for making "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals." Whatever faults may lie in the films is overwhelmed by the act ofmaking them. Good for him. Otherwise I have found him at times a bit loopy.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}What a great quote from Napoleon. It sounds so British though.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Two things I give Turner credit for is starting an alternative television empire. He helped build cable, IMO. Secondly, for making "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals." Whatever faults may lie in the films is overwhelmed by the act ofmaking them. Good for him. Otherwise I have found him at times a bit loopy.

Yep, it's British but I don't understand French well enough so I'm glad it is. It is a great war film that does give the viewer a glimpse of Napoleon's and Wellington's personalities.

The battle scenes are colorful and realistic with a sense of grandeur and sadness. It depicts war as it was at that time and followed in our own time in The War Between the States till the The Siege of Petersburg between Lee and Grant which introduced trench warfare that was used in WW1.

Ted Turner is a progressive who I have some reservations about but I stand by what I said in that he made a movie that is not Politcally Correct and I respect that.

I believe he is what he is and that's a Southerner or A Southern Loyalist. So am I.

Jake

Edited by: JakeHolman on Dec 21, 2011 11:28 AM

schindlers-list.jpg

Itzhak Stern: This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.

Schindler's List

Jake in the Heartland

waynegreenberets.jpg

Out here, due process is a bullet.

The Green Berets

Jake in the Heartland

otooleMOS811_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

!//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Vista_general_de_Masada.jpg/250px-Vista_general_de_Masada.jpg!

A victory? What have we won? We've won a rock in the middle of a wasteland, on the shores of a poisoned sea.

Masada -- 1981 TV Miniseries -- Excellent

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Dec 23, 2011 11:20 AM

thumbnail.aspx?q=1417866379732&id=684675

Dith Pran: We must be like the ox and have no thought, except for the Party. No laugh, but for the Uncle. People starve, but we must not grow food. We must honor the comrade children, whose minds are not corrupted by the past.

The Killing Fields

Jake in the Heartland

thumbnail.aspx?q=1408409078224&id=fcf17e

Michael Collins: We have a weapon more powerful... than any in the whole arsenal of the British Empire! That weapon... is our refusal!

Michael Collins

Jake in the Heartland

thumbnail.aspx?q=1521389085167&id=e82615

Marcus Aurelius: You have proven your valor once again, Maximus. Let us hope for the last time.

Maximus: There is no one left to fight, sire.

Marcus Aurelius: There is always someone left to fight. How can I reward Rome's greatest general?

Maximus: Let me go home.

Marcus Aurelius: Ah, home.

Gladiator

Jake in the Heartland

b70-14359

Guthrum: Those women who were once married to Christ, have now become my wives.

Alfred the Great

Jake in the Heartland

Platoon-movie-6.jpg

Sgt. Barnes: Are you smoking this chit so's to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this chit. I am reality. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is. Elias was full of chit. Elias was a crusader. Now, I got no fight with any man who does what he's told. But when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down. And I ain't gonna allow that in any of you. Not one.

Platoon

Jake in the Heartland

patriot1.jpg

General O'Hara: My Lord, if we re-form and wheel right, we may be able to turn their flank.

Lord General Cornwallis: You dream, General.

Patriot

Jake in the Heartland

Peck_as_Hornblower.jpg

In the year Eighteen Hundred and Seven, a small ship of the Royal Navy set sail from England for a secret destination. With five million French and Spanish soldiers poised on the Continent under Napolean, nothing could save England from invasion except her 300 ships. HMS Lydia was soon far beyond battle-charged Europe. Under the most secret of sealed orders, she sailed for southern waters, fought her way around the Horn... headed north again into the Pacific. For seven months, she stayed out of sight of land. Becalmed finally, her weary crew toiled at the oars in the vain hope of towing her into a wind. They thirsted and hungered and wondered where she was going, what they would do when they got there... if she got there. These were things known only to one man.

Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N

Jake in the Heartland

Cate-Blanchett5-Elizabeth-The-Golden-Age

Queen Elizabeth I: Go back to your rathole! Tell Philip I fear neither him, nor his priests, nor his armies. Tell him if he wants to shake his little fist at us, we're ready to give him such a bite he'll wish he'd kept his hands in his pockets!

Don Guerau De Spes: You see a leaf fall, and you think you know which way the wind blows. Well, there is a wind coming, Madame, that will sweep away your pride.

Queen Elizabeth I: I, too, can command the wind, sir! I have a hurricane in me that will strip Spain bare when you dare to try me!

Elizabeth - The Golden Age

Jake in the Heartland

bridgekwai4.jpg

What have I done?

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Jake in the Heartland

lee_gallery_24_std.jpg

Col. John Henry Thomas: Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon; windage and elevation.

The Undefeated

Jake in the Heartland

My favorite character in a war movie is The Scrounger, Hendley, in The Great Escape. Love seeing James Garner pull his scams. He actually was his units scrounger in Korea, so he was not stretching himself as an actor here. I was a bit fo a scrounger myself, back in my army days, though nowhere near as talented as this!

Second best scrounger in movie-dom is Jim Hutton's character, Peterson, in The Green Berets

sjff_03_img1189.jpg

Take a good look my dear. It's an historic moment you can tell your grandchildren about -- how you watched the Old South fall one night.

Gone with the Wind

Jake in the Heartland

Deo Vindice

clip_image025.jpg

Capt. Cassidy: There's lots of Mikes dying right now. And a lot more Mikes will die. Until we wipe out a system that puts daggers in the hands of five-year-old children.

Destination Tokyo

Jake in the Heartland