Sign in to follow this  
Guest frye, d

What scene represents the Best Slap ever given in a film?

78 posts in this topic

Breaking Away ... When the guy confesses to his would-be girlfriend that he is not really Italian and had been putting on an act for her. Beside herself, she slaps him, walks away and then turns around and walks back to him and delivers a devastating slap to the cheeks. It hurts just to think about it.

I may be silly- but I love the one in the original Parent Trap. Remember? Their father's fiance Vicki says to the twins ( Susan and Sharon )after they submarined her on a camping trip " You two, your twins right?" They answer in unison "Yes" , she holds her hand up in rage " Then give your sister her half of this!!" and she slaps one right in the face! I always loved that one.:)

Ooops, I forgot- after asking if they were twins, she asks "Do you share everything?" and they answer "Yes". Then the line about giving the sister her half, then the big SLAP!

For me it's 1954's "VERA CRUZ" in the scene Burt Lancaster is washing his face in a hotel out of a bowl of flowered water and rubs the water on his teeth(his trade mark),toasts to Denise Darcel (who he knows is double crossing him) and slaps her so hard she lands on a chair 2ft.away..... foul brute!

vallo

Don't forget Moe. He was pretty good about being able to slap his two fellow stooges with one swipe.

Please forgive me for veering off theme somewhat, but the best hand-to-torso scene in film is in OLD ACQUAINTANCE when Bette Davis SHAKES Miriam Hopkins mercilessly. It's a slam-dunk!

In "Vivacious Lady" the scene with Ginger Rogers out on the terrace or the garden. It is a hillarious scene between her and Frances Mercer. If I am not mistaken it was voted the best movie slap on one of TCM's polls and can be viewed in the multi-media section.

Well, it didn't help matters that Hopkins never got along with Davis. This hate intensified when Davis started sleeping with Hopkins' husband. I don't know if the slap occurred before or after Davis' affair.

Also, the slap in "All About Eve" when George Sanders strikes Anne Baxter is pretty good, too. This is near the end of the film after he reveals that Eve Harrington (Baxter) is a fraud.

What a great topic!

OK, did I dream this, or was there a movie or something where Joan Crawford hauls off and slaps somebody and then syas, "I do that in all my movies"? I know I've seen the film clip somewhere, but don't know if it was an actual movie or some kind of spoof.

I always laugh at the scene in "Adam's Rib" when Spencer Tracy slaps Katharine Hepburn's behind and he gest all guilty about it and then she kicks him in the shins and when they bang each other with the kitchen door. Not exactly world class slaps of the kind being discussed here, but fun.

Well Lux I almost agree with you but I think I can top it...It was a scene in which a woman slaps all THREE of the boyz ...wack wack wack! and then gets them all on the other side of their faces...wack wack wack! Although it IS hard to imagine a woman being irritated with the lads....

I liked when in "Guys and Dolls" when Jean Simmons slaps Marlon Brando, right after he kisses her. Then he tells her, "Well, that makes it necessary for me to stop in again. Matthew 5:39. Don't bother looking it up, it's the bit about the other cheek."

I also forgot to mention....

There was an awful lot of slapping going on in "Destry Rides Again" I am thinking of the saloon scene with Marlene Dietrich and Una Merkel!

What a cat fight, and they did it themselves.

Tabitha

tracey--For some reason I think that Joan Crawford made a cameo in Road to Hong Kong and she said that quote in that movie. Anyway, it seems like it was some Hope & Crosby movie.

For some reason the only great slap I think of at the moment is in "Some Like It Hot," where Jack Lemmon, in the hotel elevator, shouts "What kind of a girl do you think I am, Mr. Fielding?!" and he slaps Fielding across the face. Lol. I'm sure there are slaps I like but that's all I can think of for now.

The Joan Crawford slap ("I do that in all my movies") is in "It's a Great Feeling" (1949), a Doris Day film.

classicmoviedear--

Re: "Destry Rides Again"

I loved that fight. The first time I ever saw the movie I was completely floored--like, OMG! That's too funny! Not to mention painful...

I think I have you ALL beat.

The best slap scene EVER was Jack Nicholson belting Faye Dunaway in "Chinatown". He didn't hit her just once, he hit her three times I believe. I've read that Nicholson was so fed up with Dunaway making the film that it wasn't altogether acting. HA!

When Virgil Tibbs slaps Mr. Endicott right back....and in front of the Sheriff in the movie 'In the Heat of the Night'!! The expression on Rod Steigers(Sheriff) face is priceless!!!!

The scene from "Vivacious Lady" is great. Somehow fighting in evening gowns makes it even funnier. I had forgotten about "In The Heat of The Night". Poitier looks like he meant it. I love Steiger's response too.

Maureen O'Hara had the biggest windup when she hit John Wayne in "The Quiet Man". (I think she broke her finger on that one.)

A good one also is when Bogart slaps around Peter Lorre in "Maltese Falcon". It looks like it is meant more to humiliate than to hurt, which is probably worse.

Hello. I am trying to remember a movie I saw in about 1973 on television. People who read this thread might have some idea. All I remember is a scene where two women slap each other.

I think it was made in the 1940's or earlier (can't be sure about the date it was made but I know it had to have been made years before I saw it). Two women in Victorian style dresses are arguing. One is plain and one is pretty.

Plain woman: "I am going to give you three chances to tell...you don't love him. One."

Pretty woman: "No."

Plain woman: "Two." Pretty woman: "No."

Plain woman: "Three." Pretty woman: "No."

The pretty woman then slaps the plain woman in the face who slaps her back harder. The pretty woman bursts into tears and the plain woman drags the pretty woman weeping away to tell whomsever it was the truth, that she didn't love him.

Any idea what that movie was?

Betty Davis in Elizabeth the Queen slapping Errol Flynn. Then he slaps her back.

Great moment in a great film. They acted well together but I think they did not always get along.

In 'Hobson's Choice' when Willie (played by the late Sir John Mills) gets a stinging slap from his ex future mother-in-law. It comes completely out of nowhere and made me jump out of my seat. OUCH!