Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To--Week of Nov 14th!!!

11 posts in this topic

Groovy Flix on TCM--week of Nov 14th!!

Kicking it off with tonight's 4-fer of Laurel and Hardy shorts on Silent Sunday Night, including BIG BUSINESS!! Loving these silent Laurel and Hardy shorts, thank you, TCM!!

I know that my friend SansFin will be grooving to SANSHO THE BAILIFF during the wee hours, and I will check it out based upon that recommendation made in my last grooving post!

Then Monday starts off with some really hard grooves!!! First, Louise Brooks in the silent PANDORA'S BOX (1929)!!! Wow, I've not seen this one, and can't wait!!! Then Lee Tracy, Allen Jenkins, Frank McHugh and a great cast in the pre-code BLESSED EVENT (1932), followed by yet another pre-code, THE KING'S VACATION (1933), with George Arliss! Later on, the Ladd/Lake noir, THE GLASS KEY (1942), followed by the ravishing Veronica Lake again in I MARRIED A WITCH, also from 1942, with Frederic March!!

Battle of the Blondes continues to heat it up on Monday night with Marlene Dietrich as one of the lovely battlers, this time in the 1930 THE BLUE ANGEL, and SHANGHAI EXPRESS from 1932!!! Ursula Andress is the other blonde of the evening, and some of her fantasy flix are featured, including the 1965 version of SHE!

It's all about stories on Tuesday daytime, including THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957), with a huge cast including Ronald Colman, Hedy Lamarr, and Grouch himself!! Plus THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE from 1939, and featuring Astaire and Rogers, along with Edna Mae Oliver!!

John Garfield fans are grooving as he gets a mini-tribute early Wednesday morning, first with EAST OF THE RIVER (1940), the one I'm most looking forward to, followed by the documentary on John's life and career, and then THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946)!!

Later on that same day, we're treated to Eddie G in one of his best gangster spoofs, A SLIGHT CASE OF MURDER (1938)---what a hoot, with a great supporting cast of mugs all mugging it up, including Ruth Donnelly!! THE MILKY WAY (1936) with Harold Lloyd, Adolphe Menjou and Helen Mack, is also a hoot!!

More Battle of the Blondes action on Wednesday night, this time Carole Lombard vs. Mae West!!! Yowza!!! Mae's flicks are both pre-codes, when she was in top form (no pun intended!!), in SHE DONE HIM WRONG (1933) AND I'M NO ANGEL (1933)!! Hot stuff!!!

We're all aboard on Thursday night, with shipboard flix, including the Hitch 1932 flick, RICH AND STRANGE, and the 1965 SHIP OF FOOLS with Vivien Leigh, and Simone Signoret!! Last up is a Brown and Carney team-up in the wartime comedy, SEVEN DAYS ASHORE (1944)!!

Jimmy Stewart getts the daytime tribute honors, with a full day of flix, including SPEED (1936), THE ICE FOLLIES OF 1939, with Joan Crawford, the riveting 1940 THE MORTAL STORM, and MALAYA (1949) with Spence!!

Saturdays continue to be groove-a-licious, this week kicks off with a double dose of pre-codes, with Coop in A FAREWELL TO ARMS (1932), and another round of trouble in TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932), which if you missed it this past Saturday, I definitely recommend catching it this time! Then TCM is kicking off a weekly showing of "Lone Wolf" flix, with the inagrual entry in the series this week THE LONE WOLF SPY HUNT (1939), with Warren William (the man born to play a "wolf"!!) in the lead role, along for the ride is also Rita Hayworth and Ida Lupino!! And another first, as TCM will be airing the "Bomba" series in the slot that has been devoted the past several months to Tarzan flix--again the first in the series, BOMBA THE JUNGLE BOY (1949) with Johnny Sheffield ("boy") in the title role, along with the lovely Peggy Ann Garner!! Later in the afternoon is Jimmy Stewart in THE FBI STORY (1959)!!

Sunday morning we are treated to Laurel and Hardy mixing it up in BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935), and later on that same day, the Hitch classic, THE WRONG MAN (1956), with Hank Fonda and Vera Miles! Sunday's Silent flick is WHAT PRICE GLORY (1926) with Victor McLaglen, Edmund Lowe and Dolores Del Rio!!

Lots to groove to this week, thanks to TCM!!

I'm very much looking forward to "The King's Vacation" and especially "Blessed Event". These two haven't been shown on TCM for years.

You didn't mention "Chase a Crooked Shadow" on Friday at 8PM. That one looks like a pretty good noir, at least from the description. If you know otherwise, please warn me so I don't waste my time.

You are very right marcbeckauf that I will be groovin' to *The Baliff* (1955). I hope all here will watch it.

I was uncertain of *Blessed Event* (1932). It has actors I like but Maltin's high score made me doubtful it is actually good. I will watch it on your recommendation.

*I Married a Witch* (1942) is one of my favorite movies. It seems as if the casting of Fredric March and Veronica Lake is an unlikely pairing as they seem to be of different worlds. It works wonderfully!

*Jason And The Argonauts* (1963) is a guilty pleasure. The plot and settings are not wonderful. The sweaty men in leather are wonderful.

It is sad to say there is very little to my taste until *Clarence, The Cross-Eyed Lion* (1965) airing on Wednesday. I have seen only clips and I am looking forward to it very much.

*The Lone Wolf Spy Hunt* (1939) is a delightful romp. It is a mixture of adventure, humor and Warren William's charm.

I thank you markbeckauf for your recommendations!

I enjoyed "The King's Vacation". I'd say it is a sweet and sentimental film although George Arliss is just a bit subdued compared to his other films.

TCM occasionally airs George Arliss films ... but never for the sake of George Arliss. It is always because of an upcoming star making an appearance or possibly because of an academy award nomination.

It would be great if TCM would have a George Arliss day (or even a month devoted to his films) simply for the sake of George Arliss ... a very popular actor in his day.

And remember -- "Nothing Sacred" (8 p.m. Wednesday ET) is a restored print, enabling us to watch the antics of Carole Lombard, Fredric March, et al in the full, glorious Technicolor audiences saw in theaters in 1937. This screwball gem no longer is the prisoner of public domain.

I've liked all of George Arliss' films that I've seen so far. He was a very interesting actor.

I think his best role was as Benjamin Disraeli, in the 1929 film "Disraeli". This was one of the best 1929 early sound films ever made.

Disraeli was the Jewish Prime Minister of England in the late 1800s. What a story that made! Anglo-Saxons being led by a Hebrew man. And it made for a wonderful movie, complete with plenty of racist talk on both sides, but talk that wasn't too offensive, only comical. "And WHERE did Pharaoh go for HIS money?? To MOSES!!", Disraeli shouted to the President of the Bank of England when they got into an argument about who would finance the purchase of the Suez Canal.

Yay! The German version of The Blue Angel! :)

I like this one better than the English version, and the story is very easy to follow.

Watch the side lighting and some of the odd-shaped sets for hints of what would later contribute to American film noir movies.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}I'm very much looking forward to "The King's Vacation" and especially "Blessed Event". These two haven't been shown on TCM for years.

>

> You didn't mention "Chase a Crooked Shadow" on Friday at 8PM. That one looks like a pretty good noir, at least from the description. If you know otherwise, please warn me so I don't waste my time.Calvininme, I hope you had a chance to totally groove to those two pre-codes you mentioned!

As for CHASE A CROOKED SHADOW, that was simply an oversight on my part! I have *not* seen it before, but it definitely looks like it would be right up my alley! With Ann Baxter and Herbert Lom!

VP19--YES that's right about tonight's screening of NOTHING SACRED!!! That's gonna totally rock the house!

Fred, agree with you about BLUE ANGEL, man that was pretty awesome!

Fred and Coder, totally agree with you about George Arliss! I always enjoy his flix!!

Sansfin, you're very welcome, thank you for the kind compliments!!! Glad you're grooving this week!!

The wayback machine now spotlights the wit and wisdom of marcbeckuaf. Who suddenly departed these boards a few years back. Way before the spam.

Thanks for reviving this thread!
In honor of markbackuaf.....I'll add to this thread. Take THAT spam!

April 5th, this Thursday has a string of Bette Davis greats- 8:15 DEAD RINGER and noon's A STOLEN LIFE are similar in theme and you get to watch Davis unravel & get caught. 2PM's DARK VICTORY is a Davis classic soaper, but very effective as always elevated by her performance. (seeing this movie as a teen sparked my interest in classic film)
At 8pm don't miss THE LODGER, an excellent film with the rare opportunity to see fave Laird Cregar. Directly after is similarly tensely paced GASLIGHT, featuring beautifully photographed Ingrid Bergman & incredibly smarmy Charles Boyer.

Friday, after a string of screwball comedies, at 8pm is Todd browning's masterpiece FREAKS. The brilliance of this movie is the freaks are the decent, honorable charactors and the so called "normal" people are the actual "freaks". For circus historians, this is the grail of movies, with much screen time given to rarely seen, very famous sideshow performers.
Then Friday goes back to screwballs with excellent RUGGLES OF RED GAP.

Another string of excellent old chestnuts on Sat & Sunday, but I'll recommend 1964's DEAR HEART shown 3:30 Sunday. It's an excellent story of off beat charactors visiting NYC with a predictable, but fun ending. Geraldine Page is a treasure.

• Like 1