TopBilled

Ruth Roman

182 posts in this topic

Just a heads up for Ruth Roman fans-- TCM will be airing two of her Warner Brothers westerns on Thursday October 24th.

imgres-29.jpeg

First up is BARRICADE, costarring Dane Clark and Raymond Massey. It's a reworking of Jack London's THE SEA WOLF, previously filmed by the studio a decade earlier. Ruth is second-billed-- but the studio's advertising makes it seem like she's top billed.

imgres9.jpeg

Next up is DALLAS, which features Ruth with Gary Cooper and Steve Cochran. Stuart Heisler directs from a script by John Twist. The film currently has a 6.1 rating at the IMDB.

Both pictures present Ruth near the beginning of her Warner Brothers contract, filmed in Technicolor.

Remember-- BARRICADE and DALLAS are airing tomorrow morning on TCM. Don't miss 'em!

:)

Raymond Massey costars in both pictures.

I'm really looking forward to "Barrriade." I've never heard of this one. And here I thought I was familiar with all of her movies.

>I'm really looking forward to "Barrriade." I've never heard of this one.

It had been a long time since I had seen BARRICADE, and quite frankly I had forgotten how good it was. In a way, Ruth and Dane Clark play secondary roles to Raymond Massey in this picture. British import Robert Douglas, who was on contract with Warner Brothers at this time, makes a significant contribution. Great entertainment.

"Barricade" was a rousing good Western! Robert Douglas( with lighter hair) gave an impressive performance.I was used to seeing him in sinister-like roles.I liked the way he kept in character with his bad ankle. Roman never looked lovelier.Massey made the perfect nasty guy.

>"Barricade" was a rousing good Western! Robert Douglas( with lighter hair) gave an impressive performance.I was used to seeing him in sinister-like roles.I liked the way he kept in character with his bad ankle. Roman never looked lovelier.Massey made the perfect nasty guy.

Thanks twtpark. You summed it up perfectly! Douglas did subtle things nursing his bad ankle that I thought added a nice dose of realism to this picture. What a great actor.

Happy to report that Ruth Roman gets a tribute on TCM...March 10th!

Included films:

ALWAYS LEAVE THEM LAUGHING

THE WINDOW

BARRICADE

COLT .45

DALLAS

LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

THE FAR COUNTRY

INVITATION

THE BABY will air on Saturday January 25th as part of a late night double feature with SPIDER BABY.

215px-poster_of_the_movie_the_baby.jpg220px-spiderbabyposter.jpg

The next day, the 26th, is STRANGERS ON A TRAIN on TCM.

The morning tribute for Ruth Roman on March 10th has not been affected by the Shirley Temple Memorial tribute. The last film in Temple's retrospective airs right before Ruth's first picture gets underway.

Thank you, TCM!

From the I didn't realize it was airing until it was almost too late to post about it department:

Ruth Roman was on ME-TV yesterday. She appears in a fourth-season episode of the William Conrad crime series Cannon. In this one, she costars as the domineering mother of Kristoffer Tabori (real-life son of Viveca Lindfors and Don Siegel).

***spoilers ahead***

I love Ruth Roman in this one. The part where she says that whoever told Cannon about her son's mental illness is out of a job-- to which he says the last he heard, the prosecutor was elected. He leaves and she just fumes. Then there is a highly emotional scene where she burns evidence that would incriminate her son. But at the end she has a change of heart and helps bring her son to justice. What a performance!

Her appearance on Cannon occurred only a year after she did THE BABY. Original airing for 'Flashpoint' was in March 1974. She would have been about 51 years old. It struck me again how well she was aging-- and really how her performances seem to get better, if that's at all possible. Also, I was reminded why I enjoy watching Ruth Roman on screen so much-- she plays soft-hearted bitches to a tee, and she has this very focused way of looking right into the eyes of her fellow performers and extracting the truth--bringing it front and center-- in any given scene. You can tell that her acting partners enjoy working with her.

I feel like every time I unearth a Ruth Roman performance I haven't seen before, I am in for a major treat.

Looking forward to Ruth's tribute on TCM tomorrow. Some of her best westerns are included:

images1.jpg

*BARRICADE*

imgres-11.jpg

*COLT .45*

images-21.jpg

*DALLAS*

imgres3.jpg

*THE FAR COUNTRY*

I look forward to these westerns also. I admit I kind of typecast Ruth as an urban gal, but after seeing The Far Country, I changed my mind. So I would like to see these other westerns.

>I look forward to these westerns also.

I like BARRICADE a lot, which is a reworking of a Jack London story.

Another western she made, but not included in tomorrow's tribute, is REBEL IN TOWN-- which pairs her with John Payne and costars J. Carrol Naish and Ben Johnson. TCM aired it a year or so ago. She does very well in this genre.

A review from Variety:

1dallas3.png

Gary Cooper's return to saddle and six-shooter is to the good, and he makes quite a bit of the heroic and rugged opportunities in the John Twist story. His two co-stars, Ruth Roman and Steve Cochran, also carry off the pretentious aims.

Period is just following the war between the states, and the locale is Texas and the then pioneer town of Dallas. Cooper, a southerner, rides into the territory on the prowl for three brothers, war opportunists who had destroyed his home and family in Georgia. There's a romantic triangle, plus a land grab angle, to pad out the footage.

Direction by Stuart Heisler bogs down several times when story veers away from its main purpose, but the chases, gun battles and other movement come across with good action.

Dallas. (1950). Variety Movie Reviews, (1), 23.

A review from Variety:

1far.png

Rugged action is featured in The Far Country to go with its rugged outdoor scenery, and the results add up to film entertainment. Pic marks the fifth successful combination of James Stewart, as star, Aaron Rosenberg as producer, and Anthony Mann as director.

Cast and crew locationed around the Columbia Ice Fields and in Jasper Park to get the chilly atmosphere to go with a story of the far north, set back in the pioneer days [1896] when gold was luring adventurous souls to the snow country. The location areas in Canada provide the film with a good backstop for the Borden Chase outdoor action plot.

Stewart arrives in this setting driving a herd of cattle, which he and his partner (Walter Brennan) figure to unload at fancy prices in the gold-crazy country around Skagway and Dawson. The partners are in trouble almost immediately, because Skagway's self-styled law (John McIntire) tries to commandeer the herd before it can be driven to Dawson.

Stewart and Brennan are completely at home in this type of film and handle their characters with the expected ease. The other stars, saloon keeper Ruth Roman and Corinne Calvet, a gold fields girl who gets Stewart at the finale, add quite a bit to the entertainment values.

The Far Country. (1955). Variety Movie Reviews, (1), 26.

dorothy-mcguire-ruth-roman.jpg

Tomorrow morning on TCM Ruth appears in the melodrama INVITATION with Dorothy McGuire. Van Johnson is the leading man of this picture. Ruth and Van must have enjoyed working together, because they would do another film a few years later at 20th Century Fox, and then in 1971 they would play husband and wife on an episode of the western television series The Men from Shiloh.

This was the first of two motion pictures Ruth made for MGM. Both were produced in 1952.

For those who may have missed the recent airing of DALLAS, it will be rebroadcast on TCM on March 31st.

imgres14.jpg

Costars include: Gary Cooper, Steve Cochran, Raymond Massey, Leif Erickson, Jerome Cowan and Reed Hadley.

imgres20.jpg

Ruth Roman is back in another western-- this time it's a television western-- the venerable CBS series Gunsmoke.  In a season 15 offering entitled 'Coreyville' Ruth plays an influential saloon madame who battles a strong-willed widow (Nina Foch) for control of a town that Marshall Dillon (James Arness) visits on business.  The classic episode, originally broadcast in 1969, airs on ME-TV Friday April 18th.

imgres20.jpg

Ruth Roman is back in another western-- this time it's a television western-- the venerable CBS series Gunsmoke.  In a season 15 offering entitled 'Coreyville' Ruth plays an influential saloon madame who battles a strong-willed widow (Nina Foch) for control of a town that Marshall Dillon (James Arness) visits on business.  The classic episode, originally broadcast in 1969, airs on ME-TV Friday April 18th.

Nina Foch and Ruth on Gunsmoke.   That is some high class studio-era talent!  

• Like 1

Nina Foch and Ruth on Gunsmoke.   That is some high class studio-era talent!  

And both ladies have very different acting styles, so I think it will be interesting to see them go toe-to-toe. (Incidentally, they both costarred with Glenn Ford seventeen years earlier in YOUNG MAN WITH IDEAS.  So I am assuming they must have been friends and found a way to work together again.)

There are currently three user reviews for 'Coreyville' on the IMDB-- and each one makes me eager to watch the episode, which I don't remember seeing before.

Ruth was invited back by Arness to do a two-parter a couple seasons later, where she plays a different character but another Miss Kitty-type madame.  So she must have done an outstanding job with 'Coreyville' in order to get hired on again.  I have my DVR set.

imgres20.jpg

Ruth's first episode of Gunsmoke is coming up in a few minutes...eager to see it!

• Like 1

Ruth's first episode of Gunsmoke is coming up in a few minutes...eager to see it!

OMG, thanks for the heads up!!!! I will def be watching this episode!!! I love Ruth and I love GUNSMOKE, so there! :P

• Like 1

OMG, thanks for the heads up!!!! I will def be watching this episode!!! I love Ruth and I love GUNSMOKE, so there! :P

Did you enjoy the episode, Mark?  I recorded it and watched it later in the day.  Nina Foch darkened her hair color and she plays a nasty iron-fisted woman, doesn't she!  Ruth is sensational as the madame who turns out to be the actual mother of Foch's son.  I saw the plot twist a mile away, but it was well played.  I appreciate how Ruth Roman takes morally challenged women and makes them sympathetic.  In the end, she goes back in to run the saloon, but she's changed-- showed her heart some.  This was a very satisfying episode of Gunsmoke.

Yesterday ME-TV aired a 1960 episode of The Naked City which featured Ruth Roman.  Her early television work proves what a strong dramatic actress she was, given good material.  In this one, she is divorced from a gangster played by Jack Lord and will go to any lengths to protect a fourteen year-old daughter involved in a murder.  The story itself seems to be inspired by what happened to Lana Turner's daughter a few years earlier, who had stabbed her mother's lover.  Here the murder weapon is an ice pick, and the death is accidental.  Ruth's character, fearing the police will never believe it was all an accident, concocts an elaborate story that drags her daughter deeper into a web of lies. Ruth is truly riveting in a scene where it all starts to unravel, and she winds up in jail facing Lord through a set of bars, bargaining for her daughter's well-being.

Yesterday ME-TV aired a 1960 episode of The Naked City which featured Ruth Roman.  Her early television work proves what a strong dramatic actress she was, given good material.  In this one, she is divorced from a gangster played by Jack Lord and will go to any lengths to protect a fourteen year-old daughter involved in a murder.  The story itself seems to be inspired by what happened to Lana Turner's daughter a few years earlier, who had stabbed her mother's lover.  Here the murder weapon is an ice pick, and the death is accidental.  Ruth's character, fearing the police will never believe it was all an accident, concocts an elaborate story that drags her daughter deeper into a web of lies. Ruth is truly riveting in a scene where it all starts to unravel, and she winds up in jail facing Lord through a set of bars, bargaining for her daughter's well-being.

I watched that ep last night and wondered afterwards if it was perhaps inspired by Lana Turner's difficulties.