TopBilled

How can TCM improve..?

311 posts in this topic

This maybe already available in some form, for all I know. How about a setting where you get an email notice when certain Genre films are coming up say a day in advance so you can set the DVr, if it's longer than a day, it's not as easy to program.

• Like 1

This maybe already available in some form, for all I know. How about a setting where you get an email notice when certain Genre films are coming up say a day in advance so you can set the DVr, if it's longer than a day, it's not as easy to program.

I'm not sure if they have ever had that option available. How would they classify films that are genre hybrids?

I'm not sure if they have ever had that option available. How would they classify films that are genre hybrids?

That could be why, but if they err on the side of inclusion we could sort it out.

That could be why, but if they err on the side of inclusion we could sort it out.

Then we'd have people complaining that TCM should have sorted it out for them. LOL

Then we'd have people complaining that TCM should have sorted it out for them. LOL

While I know you're kidding here,   I really do believe such a feature would lead to complaints.   If the definition of a genre \ sub-genre is too wide,   someone that signs up for,  say noir films , will complain with 'why did I get this e-mail,  that film isn't a noir film!'.   If the definition of a genre is too narrow there will be an inverse complaint.

(cigarjoe;   I know you wouldn't be one to complain since your a roll with the punches guy). 

• Like 1

While I know you're kidding here,   I really do believe such a feature would lead to complaints.   If the definition of a genre \ sub-genre is too wide,   someone that signs up for,  say noir films , will complain with 'why did I get this e-mail,  that film isn't a noir film!'.   If the definition of a genre is too narrow there will be an inverse complaint. 

Exactly. Since we know not everyone's definitions are equal.

For example, a movie like NORA PRENTISS starring Ann Sheridan can be defined as a melodrama and as a noir. In fact, Warner Brothers purposely experimented with the format to draw women to theaters to see crime yarns. Some of Virginia Mayo's early films are similarly constructed-- such as FLAXY MARTIN.

But noir purists would balk and say crime dramas revolving around women are not totally noir, that there has to be a hardboiled detective angle.

I wrote this in a private message to Moderator1 this morning, and since it applies to database errors and a need for improvement with some of those listings, I figured I should include it here in this thread:

On my 31 Days of Oscar thread, I have been going over the February schedule and listing how many nominations and awards each film received. Every so often, I find a major error. Who can fix those? For example, under JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG, if you click on the Awards tab, it says both Maximilian Schell and Spencer Tracy won as Best Actor...but in reality, there was no tie and it was Schell who took home the trophy. Also, since the Academy makes a big deal of now saying '...and the award goes to' instead of '...and the winner is' wouldn't it be better if instead of writing the word "WON" after an Oscar recipient, it just said either 'nominated' or 'awarded' because this seems to imply the other nominees were losers.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/22842/Judgment-at-Nuremberg/awards.html

I have read in another thread that some people wish the TCM Remembers segment was longer and included all the notable deceased Hollywood talents of the year.

I have read in another thread that some people wish the TCM Remembers segment was longer and included all the notable deceased Hollywood talents of the year.

Maybe in the minds of the people who created TCM Remembers ALL the notable deceased have been included.   

Maybe in the minds of the people who created TCM Remembers ALL the notable deceased have been included.   

That's distinctly possible. But I always thought 'all' meant 'all,' not partially all or someone else's definition of all. :)