TopBilled

How can TCM improve..?

311 posts in this topic

Concerning the website, it's the Search function that stinks to high heaven. :angry:

I'll second that..........

The prime time scheduling. Always the overplayed movies being shown, while the more interesting, less familiar films get shunted to the middle of the night or morning hours........

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for providing such balanced and reasonable (constructive) criticisms. I hope the TCM powers that be are reading the various suggestions and taking note...

Honestly ? Its the fact that I have to have cable (Dish) to get the channel. If TCM ever joins sling tv, I can say good bye to Dish and save about $50 a month.

I have no problem with the channel itself. Big movies at prime time, lesser interesting films in the morning. It fine by me. Theme everyday is cool .

• Like 1

My biggest gripe is that TCM has this annoying semi-frequent habit of scheduling rarely shown films for airing...and then pulling them from the schedule, sometimes at nearly the last minute.

If this happened only a couple times per year I could live with it; after all, mistakes happen or prints don't show up.  But it seems to average out that about once per month a film gets dropped (the ones I'm interested in anyway).

In fact, there's one that was scheduled for this upcoming May 4th that I've wanted to copy for a long time--ONCE A THIEF from 1950 starring Cesar Romero.  I was setting my DVR tonight for the airing and--surprise, surprise!--it's not listed anymore.  It's not listed here on the TCM schedule anymore, either.

--------------------

And for a modest gripe about the website...   Can someone tell me the easiest path to do a search to find out the past and future screening information for a specific film?  On the old site just going to the film's main info page used to display this information.  I can't find this easily anymore--Is it still made available, and if so, where on the site?

My biggest concern is moving into movies of the 70s and up.  I guess to some they are classics, but not to me.  The other thing is scheduling the rarely seen, seldom seen in the wee hours, why not move them to the forefront and have the multiple offenders shown in the wee hours. 

My biggest concern is moving into movies of the 70s and up.  I guess to some they are classics, but not to me.  The other thing is scheduling the rarely seen, seldom seen in the wee hours, why not move them to the forefront and have the multiple offenders shown in the wee hours. 

Some films from the 70s are definitely classics. Personally, I think it's a generational thing. And probably people are still comparing what the old AMC used to air, with what TCM defines as a classic and broadcasts.

By 'classic' I assume you mean the movies are just not well made, high quality movies?    Because 70s movie are at least 36 years old.

Either way,  I would never label all movies from an entire decade as being unworthy.

• Like 2

I would never label all movies from an entire decade as being unworthy.

I wouldn't either. I think it's a bit too broad to say everything made in an entire decade is junk. Even in more recent decades where mainstream Hollywood films seem less 'classic,' there are still some very good low-budget pictures being made by independent directors, as well as some excellent foreign imports hitting our cinematic shores. So not everything is junk-- it is simply not true.

My least favorite TCM thing is the lack of showing classic foreign language movies.  There are so very many great ones from many countries.  I don't want TCM taken over by foreign films but I would like a few more and I don't mean in the middle of the night either.  Have a foreign language star occasionally as SOTM would be interesting as well.  It's a very big world and a very big nonEnglish speaking world with really good film industries over the last century in quite a few countries.

• Like 2

Movies of the years that are on today are scarcer than hens' teeth.

Fascinating, The Office Wife, probably the last time a movie featured a lesbian before Hays got his infantile hands on the code.

Fascinating. Joan Blondell with dark hair and dripping s.........e...........x.

Fascinating. A shotgun wedding. Premarital s......e.......x.

Imagine what movies could have been if the little censor didn't get his hands on the code.

One day out of so much drek. Oh well.

What a gem. She got her man.

My least favorite TCM thing is the lack of showing classic foreign language movies.  There are so very many great ones from many countries.  I don't want TCM taken over by foreign films but I would like a few more and I don't mean in the middle of the night either.  Have a foreign language star occasionally as SOTM would be interesting as well.  It's a very big world and a very big nonEnglish speaking world with really good film industries over the last century in quite a few countries.

Yeah, but the non-English speaking world doesn't watch TCM.

Yeah, but the non-English speaking world doesn't watch TCM.

That is their loss but it would be our gain to see more nonEnglish movies.  A window on worlds beyond our own streets.  That's one reason I read a lot.  To take me places.  To go outside the box. 

Honestly ? Its the fact that I have to have cable (Dish) to get the channel. If TCM ever joins sling tv, I can say good bye to Dish and save about $50 a month.

I have no problem with the channel itself. Big movies at prime time, lesser interesting films in the morning. It fine by me. Theme everyday is cool .

TCM is apparently planning a streaming service.  Last week, I participated in a lengthy TCM survey about it.  The questions were clearly aimed at gauging the content and price that TCM viewers would want in such a service.

• Like 1

TCM is apparently planning a streaming service.  Last week, I participated in a lengthy TCM survey about it.  The questions were clearly aimed at gauging the content and price that TCM viewers would want in such a service.

Good for them. With HBO and Showtime also streaming, maybe we'll see the downfall of cable in our lifetime.

Day went downhill after The Office Wife. Lots of from hunger movies, e.g. Marion Davies, who stinks to high heaven. Can't win 'em all.

Good one on now, with vaudeville greats, including the father of Albert Brooks.

You're supposed to watch foreign films with subtitles which TCM provides.   As you can write, I take it you can also read.

I've always had trouble with subtitles. Recently I tried to watch a film with white subtitles and an often white background. That was a no-go, and I lasted about ten minutes.  I have a relatively small screen, and my easy chair is not that close to the TV.

I've always had trouble with subtitles. Recently I tried to watch a film with white subtitles and an often white background. That was a no-go, and I lasted about ten minutes.  I have a relatively small screen, and my easy chair is not that close to the TV.

So this means you do not watch/enjoy silent films, either..?

Not particularly, although I like some of Chaplin's stuff.

Close, but no cigar, TopB. After all, one can pretty much enjoy a silent film even if one is illiterate, and besides, the title cards are a separate image, not imposed over the film's scenes, as in a subtitled foreign film. I understand DGF's frustration with black and white fireign film's wherein the subtitles are hard to read. ( Maybe they could switch to black if the image is white, and vice versa. Or how about subtitles in color? Maybe too costly?)

But gee, DownGF - a movie fan like you should (save up?) and invest in a nice, big flat screen. Enhance that TCM experience - best new toy I ever gave myself. (and DO expand your silent film experience - TCM introduced me to Buster Keaton andHarold Lloyd - LOVE them, not to menton those wonderful dramas such as The Crowd, Sunrise etc.). And sorry for the presumptions of my free advice.

Close, but no cigar, TopB. After all, one can pretty much enjoy a silent film even if one is illiterate, and besides, the title cards are a separate image, not imposed over the film's scenes, as in a subtitled foreign film. I understand DGF's frustration with black and white fireign film's wherein the subtitles are hard to read. ( Maybe they could switch to black if the image is white, and vice versa. Or how about subtitles in color? Maybe too costly?)

But gee, DownGF - a movie fan like you should (save up?) and invest in a nice, big flat screen. Enhance that TCM experience - best new toy I ever gave myself. (and DO expand your silent film experience - TCM introduced me to Buster Keaton andHarold Lloyd - LOVE them, not to menton those wonderful dramas such as The Crowd, Sunrise etc.). And sorry for the presumptions of my free advice.

No one has ever accused me of being a spendthrift.

Most European films have words that are similar to English (cognates) so at least the ear can pick up clues without having to read all the subtitles. Now if you're watching a Chinese film or one from India, that's a bit different.

But I think subtitles on foreign films are less intrusive than the cards in silent films that continually disrupt the visual flow and force reading that may take the viewer out of the narrative.

Most European films have words that are similar to English (cognates) so at least the ear can pick up clues without having to read all the subtitles. Now if you're watching a Chinese film or one from India, that's a bit different.

But I think subtitles on foreign films are less intrusive than the cards in silent films that continually disrupt the visual flow and force reading that may take the viewer out of the narrative.

If you constantly have to read subtitles, how can you also watch what is going on on screen?

My least favorite thing is more of a compliment. I loved the old intros, but they disappeared years ago. One was that great intro for musicals - was like a moving train and featured cutout images from various iconic musical numbers. Another was for early morning showings of noir films - introduced as "Darkness after Dawn", Still another was a humorous one for westerns. I'm bad at describing them, but I'm sure TCM fans remember. These were beautifully designed and perfectly appropriate - delightful. Why they were discontinued is a mystery to me. If they were deemed played out - jeez, run them once in while at least. The Rube Goldberg machine that kicks off most of the movies now does nothing for me, though the late night intro isn't bad. How about one that takes us past the box office and then the refreshment stand and into the theatre. Raise the curtain - opening credits! ( just a thought - something more like a filmgoing experience).

• Like 3