TopBilled

How can TCM improve..?

311 posts in this topic

If you constantly have to read subtitles, how can you also watch what is going on on screen?

I

I have no idea how the mind does that trick, but it does seem to adapt - otherwise NOONE would attempt foreign films. (again a larger screen helps here.)

TopB - I think you're being disingenuous on this point. Language similarities don't help all that much watching foreign films even if in French or Spanish, let alone Japanese or Sanskrit! The titles in silent movies may interrupt the flow at times, but are usuallly so brief as to be superfluous. However when those "foreigners" are jabbering away, with idioms flying all over the place, I am subtitle reliant; one could remove all the subtitles from most silent movies and hardly notice. Do that with a foreign film and forget it!

If you constantly have to read subtitles, how can you also watch what is going on on screen?

Very easily in my case.  Subtitles only take a glance usually.  Subtitles are not going on continuously like a news bulletin. 

I

I have no idea how the mind does that trick, but it does seem to adapt - otherwise NOONE would attempt foreign films. (again a larger screen helps here.)

TopB - I think you're being disingenuous on this point. Language similarities don't help all that much watching foreign films even if in French or Spanish, let alone Japanese or Sanskrit! The titles in silent movies may interrupt the flow at times, but are usuallly so brief as to be superfluous. However when those "foreigners" are jabbering away, with idioms flying all over the place, I am subtitle reliant; one could remove all the title cards from most silent movies and hardly notice. Do that with a foreign film and forget it!

I agree- that is why I do not read all the subtitles. I listen for clues in pieces of language similar to English and I focus on action and performers' nuances over dialogue. If I felt I had to read it all, I would be watching it at home and freeze-framing a lot of the movie to get every piece of dialogue.

The other, more obvious problem with reading every subtitle is that your eyes are down on the last third of the screen, where you will miss two-thirds of what the cinematographer is trying to convey to you.

Very easily in my case.  Subtitles only take a glance usually.  Subtitles are not going on continuously like a news bulletin. 

In some movies they are, especially if there is a lot of overlapping dialogue. And if the actors speak rapidly, then there is no way you can read it all, unless you are at home and can rewind the scene and replay it.

TopB - I think you're being disingenuous on this point. Language similarities don't help all that much watching foreign films even if in French or Spanish, let alone Japanese or Sanskrit! The titles in silent movies may interrupt the flow at times, but are usuallly so brief as to be superfluous. However when those "foreigners" are jabbering away, with idioms flying all over the place, I am subtitle reliant; one could remove all the title cards from most silent movies and hardly notice. Do that with a foreign film and forget it!

I feel you are completely wrong about that. Anyone who has taught foreign languages will tell you that cognates go a long way towards bridging the gaps/barriers. So similarities in languages that may share Latin origin will aid the viewer immensely.

I do agree that idioms are a separate issue, but some idioms are cross-cultural and used in more than one language-- especially in countries where there are multiple dominant languages.

In some movies they are, especially if there is a lot of overlapping dialogue. And if the actors speak rapidly, then there is no way you can read it all, unless you are at home and can rewind the scene and replay it.

I have no trouble watching foreign language films with subtitles.  I'm sorry you and others do.  The more you watch the easier it gets at least for me.  I have more trouble with nonAmerican English language films where a heavy brogue of Irish, Scottish, Aussie, England English is hard to understand.

I have no trouble watching foreign language films with subtitles.  I'm sorry you and others do.  The more you watch the easier it gets at least for me.  I have more trouble with nonAmerican English language films where a heavy brogue of Irish, Scottish, Aussie, England English is hard to understand.

I never said I had trouble with it-- in fact, I already mentioned I don't need all the dialogue to determine a scene's meaning. But I can see where it's problematic for others who feel the need to read everything on screen, especially if it flashes by too quickly.

I never said I had trouble with it-- in fact, I already mentioned I don't need all the dialogue to determine a scene's meaning. But I can see where it's problematic for others who feel the need to read everything on screen, especially if it flashes by too quickly.

The older I've gotten, the more difficult it's gotten.

I watch fewer foreign films now than I did when I was younger.

I agree- that is why I do not read all the subtitles. I listen for clues in pieces of language similar to English and I focus on action and performers' nuances over dialogue. If I felt I had to read it all, I would be watching it at home and freeze-framing a lot of the movie to get every piece of dialogue.

The other, more obvious problem with reading every subtitle is that your eyes are down on the last third of the screen, where you will miss two-thirds of what the cinematographer is trying to convey to you.

Sort of like what happens in pan and scan, which has been hammered into us ad nauseum.

• Like 1

I am of the opinion that any serious film fan should have no problem with watching a film with subtitles.

Not doing so is ruling out 50% of the world's best films right away.

Granted, the presentation of subtitles can sometimes be problematic as pointed out - white print on white background.  But even so, if the film is a great one - put up with the momentary hardship.  As a film enthusiast it is well worth it.

So, back to the point I am absolutely for showing more films from around the world.  Let's expand our horizons, not narrow them.

• Like 4

I'm not a serious film fan.

I'm just a movie-watcher with a limited number of hours left in my life for doing so.

Reading sub-titles is just not important enough to me anymore, considering there are a million other movies that don't have that aggravation attached and I'll not have enough time to get to all of them either.

I am of the opinion that any serious film fan should have no problem with watching a film with subtitles.

Not doing so is ruling out 50% of the world's best films right away.

Granted, the presentation of subtitles can sometimes be problematic as pointed out - white print on white background.  But even so, if the film is a great one - put up with the momentary hardship.  As a film enthusiast it is well worth it.

So, back to the point I am absolutely for showing more films from around the world.  Let's expand our horizons, not narrow them.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ABSOLUTELY.

I'm not a serious film fan.

I'm just a movie-watcher with a limited number of hours left in my life for doing so.

Reading sub-titles is just not important enough to me anymore, considering there are a million other movies that don't have that aggravation attached and I'll not have enough time to get to all of them either.

At this stage of my life, I try to avoid ALL aggravations if possible.

Elvis Presley films and many, many of the "Cult/TCM Underground" films.

Lydecker

• Like 1

Elvis Presley films and many, many of the "Cult/TCM Underground" films.

With so few "Underground" films shown, that's a small issue.

However, I feel ya on the Presley crap. TCN shows a lot of that sorry stuff.

Whoa! Seems there's a lot of a hunk'a hunk'a burnin' hate for the guy's movies here, eh?!

(...sorry, couldn't resist...it's still fairly early this morning here in AZ, ya know...just warmin' up for the day, that's all...hopefully this crap of mine will get better as the day rolls on...but as usual, don't hold your breath)

• Like 1

Imagine not being open minded to films with subtitles.

I think subtitles are a somewhat divisive issue for some...it's interesting, isn't it? 

Personally, I prefer films like Robert Altman's READY TO WEAR/PRET-A-PORTER where the characters speak multiple languages at once. It's more realistic.

I think subtitles are a somewhat divisive issue for some...it's interesting, isn't it? 

Personally, I prefer films like Robert Altman's READY TO WEAR/PRET-A-PORTER where the characters speak multiple languages at once. It's more realistic.

It is. I can't imagine missing out on foreign films because I don't want to read subtitles.

It is. I can't imagine missing out on foreign films because I don't want to read subtitles.

I posted in another thread a few weeks back that I don't even have to read all the subtitles because there is a lot to be gained from nuances, not to mention most languages with a Latin origin have similar words and expressions. It is nice, however, to have the subtitles to verify something when they're needed. 

I posted in another thread a few weeks back that I don't even have to read all the subtitles because there is a lot to be gained from nuances, not to mention most languages with a Latin origin have similar words and expressions. It is nice, however, to have the subtitles to verify something when they're needed. 

Wish I were that talented.

It's fun to see what they leave out in the subtitles when I know the language. :D

• Like 1