TopBilled

How can TCM improve..?

311 posts in this topic

While this is definitely more of a style over substance complaint, I miss the incredibly creative opens/closes, character actor salutes, etc. etc. that TCM used to produce.  They were almost as much fun to watch as the films. Now it is nothing but the same dull graphics with the "Miami Vice" color scheme.  God forbid TCM would do anything with actual actors! But, hey, it's CHEAP and clearly that is all that matters these days.  If you want a jarring reminder about how clever TCM opens/closes, salutes, etc. used to be check out this link to YouTube:

Lydecker

• Like 3

While this is definitely more of a style over substance complaint, I miss the incredibly creative opens/closes, character actor salutes, etc. etc. that TCM used to produce.  They were almost as much fun to watch as the films. Now it is nothing but the same dull graphics with the "Miami Vice" color scheme.  God forbid TCM would do anything with actual actors! But, hey, it's CHEAP and clearly that is all that matters these days.  If you want a jarring reminder about how clever TCM opens/closes, salutes, etc. used to be check out this link to YouTube:

Lydecker

You said it Lydecker, not I. LOL  But I would not actually say TCM is cheap-- just that they seem more budget-conscious these days.

And did you realize that when Osborne was gone on his extended medical leave, he returned on the first day of a new month (June 1)...? That seems like it would relate to contract issues and benefits. 

You said it Lydecker, not I. LOL  But I would not actually say TCM is cheap-- just that they seem more budget-conscious these days.

And did you realize that when Osborne was gone on his extended medical leave, he returned on the first day of a new month (June 1)...? That seems like it would relate to contract issues and benefits. 

"Budget conscious" is doing less of the great work they used to do to promote the channel.  CHEAP is doing none of it which is what they are doing now.  On the other hand, the website design is still amazing  --  I could only wish they would hire the same firm doing that work and let them do something for the channel.  

Lydecker

"Budget conscious" is doing less of the great work they used to do to promote the channel.  CHEAP is doing none of it which is what they are doing now.  On the other hand, the website design is still amazing  --  I could only wish they would hire the same firm doing that work and let them do something for the channel.  

Lydecker

If the website is better than the channel, these boards will REALLY be humming.

• Like 2

Lydecker

Have to laugh-- yes, 'budget conscious' sounds like a euphemism, doesn't it!  

Maybe their priorities have shifted, and that is why the web design is looking better. I do agree that their presentation of the Summer of Darkness online is very sharp. 

Maybe their priorities have shifted, and that is why the web design is looking better. I do agree that their presentation of the Summer of Darkness online is very sharp. 

I'll be curious to see what the web folks do graphically for SUTS. Those efforts have been pretty impressive in past years.

I'll say it is. I wonder where they got all the money?

There is very little I don't like about TCM. I do wish Robert & Ben (they seem like my buds) wud say a little more when they introduce films. I can't get enuf of that trivia info they know so well.

And that definitely goes for the essentials. And..to tell the truth, as much as I enjoy Sally Field, I have been disappointed in their movie choices so far.

• Like 2

While this is definitely more of a style over substance complaint, I miss the incredibly creative opens/closes, character actor salutes, etc. etc. that TCM used to produce. They were almost as much fun to watch as the films. Now it is nothing but the same dull graphics with the "Miami Vice" color scheme. God forbid TCM would do anything with actual actors! But, hey, it's CHEAP and clearly that is all that matters these days. If you want a jarring reminder about how clever TCM opens/closes, salutes, etc. used to be check out this link to YouTube:

Lydecker

That's pretty cool,but I couldn't handle that music.

I think one person is posting under multiple accounts here, so we need some truth serum to get out the facts, lol.

• Like 1

There is very little I don't like about TCM. I do wish Robert & Ben (they seem like my buds) wud say a little more when they introduce films. I can't get enuf of that trivia info they know so well.

And that definitely goes for the essentials. And..to tell the truth, as much as I enjoy Sally Field, I have been disappointed in their movie choices so far.

I thought THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING was quite nearly a dud as an Essential. Couldn't she have picked a better Sean Connery film..? I guess she enjoyed it, but few others seem to have agreed with her choice.

If the website is better than the channel, these boards will REALLY be humming.

I was reviewing the contents of this thread, Frazier, and this comment stuck out. I assume you were probably joking.

:)

My biggest complaint is the absence of Universal & Paramount titles, 1929-1946.

Six of us clicked 'like' on the above comment by Prince. That was almost seven months ago. I think this is an on-going issue (about the relative invisibility of Universal and Paramount titles on TCM from those years). I hope it's something they will continue to work towards improving...in order to be more of an all-service retro film channel that people seem to want (and need) them to be.

My least favorite thing about TCM (the title of this thread) is that they still don't have a stand-alone streaming service that doesn't require tv provider authentication...Enough of this cable/sat only crap...it's time to start a Live streaming service.Plenty of people would Love to see TCM on the interweb.Charge ~$10-12 bucks/mo...people will buy...cord cutter's,cord never's...others who just want the convenience of watching on the Net for whatever reason...people Will buy and TCM will make money over/above copyright royalty payments for streaming.

I know it all gets complicated with all the crappy laws in place attempting to respect copyright.But it can be done.

HBO/Cinemax and a coupla others are online as freestanding channels...why not TCM??...just sayin'

• Like 1

Wow...weird...when i first clicked on this thread the title was "My least favorite thing about TCM".

All of the sudden the thread title mysteriously changed....Weird.

• Like 1

Wow...weird...when i first clicked on this thread the title was "My least favorite thing about TCM".

All of the sudden the thread title mysteriously changed....Weird.

I updated the thread title, because the original post mentions constructive criticism. And I thought by retitling it 'how can TCM improve' we can discuss things constructively as opposed to destructively. LOL

Sorry if you experienced a bit of temporary confusion there. :)

Again, I was just trying to clarify the nature of the discussion in this thread. Thanks.

My least favorite thing about TCM (the title of this thread) is that they still don't have a stand-alone streaming service that doesn't require tv provider authentication...Enough of this cable/sat only crap...it's time to start a Live streaming service.Plenty of people would Love to see TCM on the interweb.Charge ~$10-12 bucks/mo...people will buy...cord cutter's,cord never's...others who just want the convenience of watching on the Net for whatever reason...people Will buy and TCM will make money over/above copyright royalty payments for streaming.

I know it all gets complicated with all the crappy laws in place attempting to respect copyright.But it can be done.

HBO/Cinemax and a coupla others are online as freestanding channels...why not TCM??...just sayin'

It would be great if they did have their own individual streaming service. Though I think that is where they are headed ultimately with the Warner Instant Archive, which will probably be combined with TCM at some point.

But in the meantime there are other options. Besides Watch TCM online, you could also subscribe to Sling TV which is what I do. It's a fraction of the cost for regular cable, and I can stream TCM's programs on to my smart TV this way. I only need to have high speed internet...no regular cable service.

But in the meantime there are other options. Besides Watch TCM online, you could also subscribe to Sling TV which is what I do. It's a fraction of the cost for regular cable, and I can stream TCM's programs on to my smart TV this way. I only need to have high speed internet...no regular cable service.

I can't watch TCM Online because i don't have a cable/sat sub.

I 'could' subscribe to Sling but i have no interest in Any of the other channels Sling carries.I'd end up paying $25.00/mo for one channel and that's not doable.I say $25 because TCM is on their higher tier,and they charge yet another $5 bucks for it.

Besides,i have other problems with the concept of Sling...some of it having to do with such rotten things as "tiers of service"with rapidly escalating prices as you move up.

It's the whole concept of the cable/sat monopoly over everything tv all over again,and how they gouge us for their "service"....and now Dish wants to bring that same old rotten business model to the internet.

I'll stop before i go on a long rant....i'm sure you get the message.

It's the whole concept of the cable/sat monopoly over everything tv all over again,and how they gouge us for their "service"....and now Dish wants to bring that same old rotten business model to the internet.

Sounds like you're having a bad day! :) I guess lousy cable providers can make anyone have a few bad days, right?

I 'could' subscribe to Sling but i have no interest in Any of the other channels Sling carries.I'd end up paying $25.00/mo for one channel and that's not doable.I say $25 because TCM is on their higher tier,and they charge yet another $5 bucks for it.

But wouldn't this be less than what you are paying for cable service? At least we have other options now.

I can't watch TCM Online because i don't have a cable/sat sub.

Besides,i have other problems with the concept of Sling...some of it having to do with such rotten things as "tiers of service"with rapidly escalating prices as you move up.

Two of the biggest complaints I see on this site are 1) Hate to see movies with commercials and 2) Hate to have to buy cable to get TCM.

So don't want to pay but, also don't want to see them sell advertising to make money either. I guess the employees at TCM should work for free. Just for the love of the movies   :lol:

A service that escalates from $20 to $25, that's the cost of one night at a theater. Vs. $100+ cable bill, I don't see the comparison.

And I don't think TCM works as a stand alone. Those stand alone services also are creating new content, which TCM does not. And its that unique content that makes the difference. And also, too many other classic movie channels exist on free tv to want to pay extra for one more. 

I'm perfectly happy with SlingTV. And when Watch TCM puts sling on the list, I'll be happier.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm nuts [no comments please!] but I would gladly pay my whole cable bill of like 60 bucks monthly just to watch one channel, namely TCM.

That would come down to two dollars a day for me to watch sometimes ten movies [yes, I can be a marathon watcher occasionally] daily of films I can not find elsewhere.

Plus TCM saves me money, since I have gotten to see films that I otherwise would have had to buy to view, like those that are on Criterion and cost sometimes from $39.95 up to way more per film.

For a film buff, TCM is required viewing and cheap. I would pay money not to have the E-Channel in my cable line-up as I am sick of the continual saga of the most boring Kardashian clan, and the internal commercials for their crapola.

The E-Channel is just a waste of film, as Clint Eastwood said once.

• Like 2

Vautrin, speaking of that will you be watching the film version of Philip K. ****' "The Man in the High Castle" with a similar premise?

I updated the thread title, because the original post mentions constructive criticism. And I thought by retitling it 'how can TCM improve' we can discuss things constructively as opposed to destructively. LOL

Sorry if you experienced a bit of temporary confusion there. :)

Again, I was just trying to clarify the nature of the discussion in this thread. Thanks.

"how can TCM improve"?

First, lets see TCM dip a little more often into their "vast film library" and show more and more B+W films, shorts, serials, and cartoons from Hollywood's GOLDEN AGE.

Cut back on the "commercials" for the film festivals, cruises, and the DVD/BLU RAYS. Most of us can't afford to take time off from work to go to these love fests or have the extra capital to run to the stores so these repetitious ads are meaningless to us and they take time away from the films we want to watch.

Stop with the TV show repeats. If I wanted to watch Johnny Carson I would buy his DVDs. I watch this channel for the films, not the old TV shows that cater to stars with overinflated egos.

Get some hosts that know their film history, not hosts that have to read a teleprompter that contain some lackeys unchecked research. Too much bad information is dispersed as gospel.

If TCM is going to hype a channel as one that shows films complete and uncut, they better damn well make it their business to live up that hype. Too many of us film fanatics know our classic films by heart, complete and uncut, we know when you are fooling us and we will call you out on it.

"how can TCM improve"?

First, lets see TCM dip a little more often into their "vast film library" and show more and more B+W films, shorts, serials, and cartoons from Hollywood's GOLDEN AGE.

Cut back on the "commercials" for the film festivals, cruises, and the DVD/BLU RAYS. Most of us can't afford to take time off from work to go to these love fests or have the extra capital to run to the stores so these repetitious ads are meaningless to us and they take time away from the films we want to watch.

Stop with the TV show repeats. If I wanted to watch Johnny Carson I would buy his DVDs. I watch this channel for the films, not the old TV shows that cater to stars with overinflated egos.

Get some hosts that know their film history, not hosts that have to read a teleprompter that contain some lackeys unchecked research. Too much bad information is dispersed as gospel.

If TCM is going to hype a channel as one that shows films complete and uncut, they better damn well make it their business to live up that hype. Too many of us film fanatics know our classic films by heart, complete and uncut, we know when you are fooling us and we will call you out on it.

I would like TCM to show films OUTSIDE of those in their so call library;  e.g.  30s films from Columbia and Paramount and Fox films from the 40s and 50s as well as United Artist and films from independents.

TCM focus is too much on MGM, WB and RKO films that were part of the original Turner library.