Sign in to follow this  
brackenhe

I'm back

16 posts in this topic

Just got home from the first TCM Cruise and had a fabulous time. The people from Sixthman & TCM couldn't have been nicer, even when I made a faux pas with the first TCM person I met by complaining about North by Northwest. However, it got better from there.

The cruise started with a glass of champagne when boarding the ship, and after the life boat drill the poolside party commenced, with big band music and all the special guests in attendance. After introductions and the guests left the stage I was lucky enough to be standing right by where they were exiting so I got a lot of really good pictures except for Tippi Hedren who came up on me so fast my pic didn't turn out very well and I accidentally erased my pic of Norman Jewison. Anyway, I saw Moon Over Miami the first night, but Key Largo was also shown by the pool.

Next day, Key West. It rained but I did get off the ship in my quest for key lime pie and was successful--YUMMY!! That afternoon was a session of Ask Bob and was so well attended another session was held on Sunday morning. There was also a session of Q & A with Ernest Borgnine hosted by Ben, but I left that and went to the Brown Derby exhibit and talked with the guy who curated it. Great photos & charactertures he obtained from the family. Went to the afternoon trivia session hosted by none other than famous game show host Wink Martindale and his wife Sandy. She grew up in LA and dated Elvis as a young woman. She had quite a story to tell. Didn't win but had a great time. The evening was Casablanca night with everyone dressed to the nines, but I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, hosted by Ben.

Saturday was Cozumel, but before we got there it was Bingo with Ben and what a lot of fun. I didn't win the bingo but he gave away other prizes during the game and I won a t-shirt. I finally got a chance to talk to him that day and what a nice & gracious person he was. The lady who won got money & two passes to the spring festival in LA. I was a little ill when I went on my shore excursion, but recovered. That was the night of Norman Jewison films, Thomas Crown Affair & In the Heat of the Night. However, I attended a sneak preview of something you all will see in the spring and feel sure you will enjoy. Hosted by Tom Brown in an intimate venue, I was very glad I made that choice. I think that was the day the Hitchcock films were shown as well with the ladies.

Sunday was a day at sea where I went to the Ask Bob session again, as well as Ask TCM. It was also the day of Speedy with Suzanne Lloyd & the Alloy Orchestra, but it conflicted with trivia which was hosted by Bruce Goldstein with the LA Film Forum. My team tied for 1st place and I was picked to answer the tie breakers. I lost on the second tie, but we got a nice prize package. There was also a Q & A with Eva Marie Saint & Tippi Hedren. I went to the screening of The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming hosted by Bob with Eva Marie Saint & Norman Jewison.

Mr. Borgnine was out and about a lot on the ship, and I saw quite a bit of Ben & Tom as well as other TCM employees. I didn't see a lot of movies, because there were so many things to do and a girl has to sleep & eat occasionally.

I'm leaving stuff out but it was a great time and I met a lot of other movie nuts just like myself. It's late but I did want to say it was well worth going, even if I didn't get to do all I wanted. If you have any questions I'll try to answer.

Edited by: helenbaby on Dec 12, 2011 8:35 PM

I forgot to add, I met a couple of semi famous people who attended as fans. Nancy Giles, who does some feature stories on CBS Sunday Morning was on the cruise with a friend and was so very nice. And a person I was very surprised to see was political consultant Frank Luntz, who I think might be a friend of Wink Martindale because he was at trivia with him and his wife.

Helen,

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a terrific time sailing the ocean blue with TCM.

Thanks so much for sharing your memories with us. Hanging with Tom Brown is always fun and Bingo with Ben just makes me smile.

Can't wait to see on TCM the sneak preview you got to see first!

Get some rest and thank you again!

Lynn, it was a blast. I was complaining about the films selected prior to going on the trip, but as it turned out I didn't even get a chance to see many of them. There were a lot more screenings of films that I left out and I didn't get to watch Orchestra Wives because it was an outdoor screenings that got canceled due to rain. It was rescheduled for Sunday morning but I didn't read the updated schedule and missed it. All the live music that was played throughout the weekend was just great. Everyone was having so much fun and it was like one big happy family. I stayed very busy except for the day I got deathly ill in Cozumel. I didn't take appropriate action re: the hot weather and got dehydrated. It took a few hours to recover causing me to miss a few things.

I forgot to mention that a couple of the dancers from Dancing with the Stars attended as well, giving dance demonstrations & lessons (Louis Van Amstel & Chelsie Hightower.) I was familiar with them, even though I've only seen that show a few times. Van Amstel is quite tiny.

I was surprised how tall RO is. I was expecting him to be a little guy like Ben & Tom. I got my picture made with Ben & Tom--I was in hog heaven.

I can see why those who've attended the Hollywood festivals are so protective of the brand, because TCM really, really care about their viewers and you find that out when you get to talk to people involved with the channel. Besides some of the sci fi & retro TV conventions, I can't think of anyone who could care as much about their fans. So when the complaining starts, I'll be rolling my eyes because I definitely know they are just talking through their, er, hats. I will go on the next cruise, definitely, and in 2013 will try to make it to Hollywood.

I met the Jerry to my Charlotte but he just didn't know it. I won't go any further because it was really just a fantasy in my mind, but he was really cute. I was crushing big time. :x

Hey Helen...I'm happy you're back safe and sound...and HAPPY, from your TCM Cruise. It sounds like you had a real blast, saw celebrities, played games, saw movies and did some crushing.

I hope you can share some of the pictures you took. Sound like a wonderful memory was created for EVERYone.

That's how TCM rolls! And I love them. I'm so happy for you.

377959_10150506356535396_57964955395_107

12/08/2011 Bruce Goldstein, Alonso Duralde, Suzanne Lloyd, Chelsea Hightower, Ernest Borgnine, Eva Marie Saint, Rosbert Osborne, Jeff Gregor, Ben Mankiewicz, Tippi Hedren, Norman Jewison, Mark Willems, Wink Martindale, and Dennis Adamovich attend a welcome reception for the 2011 TCM Classic Film Cruise onboard the Celebrity Millennium on Thursday. ph: E. M. Pio Roda /TCM ?2011 Turner Classic Movies. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.

Yes those were taken on the night they had Casablanca. Everyone was dressed up, some in 40's garb. There was a dance party by the pool followed by the screening of the film. However, that was the night I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I still got dressed up, just not as fancy as some of the people in the pictures. A few people dressed in vintage clothes the whole weekend, and someone told me later at the airport that they attended the film festival in California as well.

Dear Helenbaby,

I had a wonderful phone call from Hadda, a TCM City poster and fellow traveler, last evening extolling the virtues of the first TCM cruise, and she also "hadda" fantastic time aboard the USS TCM, and may be posting soon on this forum.

It sounded like so much fun!

It was so, so, so, so much fun! The entire ship was decorated with photos of classic stars, and very well done.... What I found the most refreshing was that everyone on board had one common interest - a love of classic films. That meant you could start a conversation anywhere with anyone - and I did!

The costume night was a hoot - some folks just threw on a hat, but some really went to town and showed up in wonderful vintage clothing!

The stars were very accommodating for everyone, and Robert Osborne was the biggest star on board!! He's terrific - just as he is on TV, warm, gracious, funny and remembers more movie facts than anyone around.

Thank you, TCM!!!! We're on for next year's cruise, wherever it might sail.

SueSue--I met Hadda & her mom at the airport after the cruise was over. We must have talked an hour about movies & the cruise & everything. Lovely people. Helen